Manchester United vs Perth Glory (Sat 13th July, 12:00 UK time)

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not at all. I said earlier that the early pre season games are basically pointless but things get more interesting the closer we get to the PL opener. We will learn nothing today and promising performances from fringe players will mean nothing come the opening day.
Might be more new players by the end of pre-season as well.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I agree with that. It's more worrying about if someone picks up a knock early on. Looking forward to see what James brings though.
I would be far more interested in this sort of game if there was a chance that promising performances from the likes of James would be rewarded with a starting berth, but irrespective of what he does I bet he’ll be behind Mata and Lingard.

haram

At least James and Tuanzebe are playing. Apart from that, yawn.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Not at all. I said earlier that the early pre season games are basically pointless but things get more interesting the closer we get to the PL opener. We will learn nothing today and promising performances from fringe players will mean nothing come the opening day.
I would hope we'd see the start of a new system and style of play for us, something that seemed to come in with Ole and severely peter out as that drudge of a season finished. Not totally pointless for me, though it is a fitness exercise.

Forgive me for always being excited to watch United and thinking we'll be class despite 6 years of solid evidence to the contrary!

Thisistheone

Think you will be disappointed. James is a lot more effective on the left side.
Yeah I've seen a fair bit of him for Swansea and Wales, was just hopeful after seeing the training videos combined with our lack of a right winger.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
As predicted, a totally pointless starting line up.
Why's that then? Dalot LB, chance to show he can put Shaw under pressure. James and Chong starting on the wings. Pereira chance to show he's not a waste of a squad place. Tuanzebe chance to show how much he's kicked on at Villa. Martial chance to show whether he gives a feck up front. Lots of interesting selections tbf.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Why's that then? Dalot LB, chance to show he can put Shaw under pressure. James and Chong starting on the wings. Pereira chance to show he's not a waste of a squad place. Tuanzebe chance to show how much he's kicked on at Villa. Martial chance to show whether he gives a feck up front. Lots of interesting selections tbf.
I assumed Dalot would be RB and Young LB

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Definition of a false dawn.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Seeing Young on the teamsheet ruined my excitement. Even if it's just pre-season:(
Young will play as many games as he possibly can, this season. After all, he is the captain the captain must always play.
The only time I think he'll be left out of the starting eleven is if he is feeling tired.
Also, don't forget that Ole LOVES fergie's old boys. So I fully expect him to use the likes of Smalling, Jones, Young, etc, over younger players who might offer more.

Snafu17

Anyone who thinks Young starting a preseason game means anything is a complete and utter idiot.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Anyone who thinks Young starting a preseason game means anything is a complete and utter idiot.
If anything, it shows he is in the deadwood category – players in this starting line up will not play on the opening day of the season.

Nr.7

It means it killed the buzz of looking foward to a game. The first half at least.

Dazzmondo

Not too thrilled at seeing Martial up front. I get it that if Lukaku goes we need a potential replacement for Rashford in case of injury but if there's one player I'm optimistic for this season it's Martial, I'd like to see him playing on the left wing as much as possible if that's the position he'll be playing this season. Pretty sure Lingard is playing cam. Hopefully if we use Mata this season it will be in that position and not on the wing.

Dante

Average bang
Ole has been an admirer of the high press for a while. I 'd like to see him try it in earnest.

James is as good at closing down as anyone you'll ever see. Lingard is almost as good, as is Chong. I reckon it'll be those 3 behind Martial, with the CF trying to stretch the play in behind.

I know that pre-season is usually meaningless, but I'm hoping to see the start of Ole-ball today. It's the manager's first chance to properly show off his brand after picking up the pieces from his predecessor mid-season. This kind of situation has never happened before at the club.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Was considering signing up to mutv...then I saw the line up.

No thanks.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Ole has been an admirer of the high press for a while. I 'd like to see him try it in earnest.

James is as good at closing down as anyone you'll ever see. Lingard is almost as good, as is Chong. I reckon it'll be those 3 behind Martial, with the CF trying to stretch the play in behind.

I know that pre-season is usually meaningless, but I'm hoping to see the start of Ole-ball today. It's the manager's first chance to properly show off his brand after picking up the pieces from his predecessor mid-season. This kind of situation has never happened before at the club.
I doubt the players will have the requisite fitness to pull it off yet, but agree it would be nice to see a concerted attempt to play like that, even if only for 30 mins.

Dazzmondo

If anything, it shows he is in the deadwood category – players in this starting line up will not play on the opening day of the season.
Martial will definitely be playing and probably Matic too. The lineup means absolutely nothing, simple as that. It's a random selection of the players so he can judge who stands out in each half's team

Dante

Average bang
I don't get why Young is the boogeyman. He's a decent player who never lets anyone down. He'll be third or fourth choice fullback this season.

If anyone deserves criticism, it's Dalot for failing to displace him last season. Not that I think he does, since he's only a kid. But the direction of people's ire is misplaced when it's targeted at a model professional who only plays because his manager picks him.