Manchester United Vs PSG - International Champions Cup (OP Updated)

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
vs

29th July 2015
International Champions Cup

Start Times

BST - 2:00 AM(Wednesday Night/Thursday Morning)​

CT - 20:00 PM​

Previous Results

Manchester United

Win vs Club America(1-0)
Win vs Earthquakes (3-1)
Win vs Barca(3-1)
PSG
Win vs Benfica (2-3)
Win vs Florentina(4-2)
Loss vs Chelsea (1-1 Penalties Chelsea won 6-5)

Match Info(Nicked from United website)

Manchester United will retain the International Champions Cup with any kind of victory over Paris Saint-Germain at Soldier Field in Chicago.

The Reds' final match of Tour 2015 presented by Aon takes place at 20:00 CT (02:00 BST on Thursday) and even a penalty shoot-out success following a draw in 90 minutes would be sufficient to secure top spot in the 10-team table.

Louis van Gaal's men have racked up successes over Club America (1-0), San Jose Earthquakes (3-1) andBarcelona (3-1) in the US. The Dutchman is closer to finalising his strongest XI and kept his starting line-up on the field against European champions Barcelona for over an hour.

Predatory striker Javier Hernandez is back in the fold and has been training along with the club's latest recruit, Argentina goalkeeper Sergio Romero. Sean Goss is the only player in the original tour party who has yet to make an appearance after David De Gea, Antonio Valencia and Marouane Fellaini featured last weekend.

Spectacular summer signing Bastian Schweinsteiger missed the win in San Jose due to a minor injury and van Gaal must consider whether to start with the same outfield line-up for the fourth consecutive game with some stunning displays during the latter part of the Barça clash providing food for thought. For instance, Adnan Jaznuaj earned praise from the manager as he shone in a central attacking role and scored the final goal in stoppage time.

PSG performed well against Chelsea in their last outing and were unlucky to lose 6-5 in a penalty shoot-out. Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored during the 1-1 draw while Lucas Moura and Jean-Kevin Augustin caught the eye. Coach Laurent Blanc, the former Reds centre-back, fielded 22 players in Charlotte including Benjamin Stambouli, their recent signing from Tottenham.

Disclaimer: cooksen did not write this OP, it has been replaced with what it should have looked like. cooksen sux.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Di Maria to come on for us, attack Wayne Rooney with a steel chair then reveal his PSG shirt he's had on underneath the entire time.

Dazzmondo

I think this line-up will be very similar to our line-up against Spurs.

Early Predicted Line-up:
de Gea

Darmian Jones Smalling Shaw

Mata Carrick Schweinsteiger Young

Rooney Memphis

Subs: Januzaj
(Memphis), Lingard (Mata), Pereira (Young), Schneiderlin (Schweinsteiger), Blind (Smalling)​

fatboy

Wouldn't want to see Carrick playing with Schweinsteiger. They should be rotating for the deep lying playermaker/defensive mid role. I'd rather see a settled midfield three ot Carrick/Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin and Herrera, with Fellaini fighting for a place with the latter two.

Devil may care

I imagine the line-ups and 60/30 split will be exactly the same as against Barcelona, but I'd love to see Pereira get a chance as the #10 in the first selection with Memphis playing on the left.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
De gea
Darmian Smalling Jones Shaw
Schweinsteiger herrera
Mata Memphis Young
Rooney​

Feel like he might change up the middle 4 at the back and midfield. In his q&a that got released yesterday, he said Schweinsteiger will play so it might be from the start to give him more minutes to make an impact. The fullbacks and attacking positions are pretty set that it'll be like that for the opening day of the season though so it won't change unless we sign Pedro... But even then, he'll probably start on the bench at the very beginning.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Do we win the cup if we win this game?

The only thing I'm sure of for us is Blind at centre-back.

LR7

More Januzaj as a striker please.
I'm looking more forward to the juice playing in the second 'half' than the Tottenham team starting.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What's Kick off GMT? I assume early morning again.

Blind against ibrahimovic will be fun.. :/

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Hopefully, seeing as it's our last pre-season game, we don't get this two different XIs nonsense. For once I'd like to see us field our best possible side.

Havak

Pokemon master
The team that played Barca was pretty close to what I expect to face Spurs, so we'll probably only see a few changes. I'm hoping Smalling plays alongside Jones, but if we see Blind again then LvG must be seeing him as a permanent feature there (possibly meaning no CB signing and no loan move for Blackett). If De Gea starts, then I'd assume that means he is prepared mentally and at his best to at least help us through a few of our August fixtures if he does leave. I'm not sure what's happening with Young's contract discussion, but I am going to imagine that depends on the Di Maria situation. If he goes (which is looking very likely), then Young will probably get a year contract offer, stay, and maybe even play this game and the Spurs game from the start. Regardless, I'd hope to see this:

De Gea
Carrick
Herrera Schneiderlin
Mata Rooney Memphis​

Valencia, Pereira, Lingard, Januzaj, Wilson, Blackett, and McNair to get half an hour at the end again. Schweinsteger too, if fit.

Expect Blind, Young, and maybe Hernandez to get some game time as well though... So someone has to miss out if Bastian is back.

ashgabat

Come look at our Swedish girls instead!
Supports
Malmö FF

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
1-2

Januzaj for us, Di Maria double for them.

ravelston

The team that played Barca was pretty close to what I expect to face Spurs, so we'll probably only see a few changes. I'm hoping Smalling plays alongside Jones, but if we see Blind again then LvG must be seeing him as a permanent feature there (possibly meaning no CB signing and no loan move for Blackett). If De Gea starts, then I'd assume that means he is prepared mentally and at his best to at least help us through a few of our August fixtures if he does leave. I'm not sure what's happening with Young's contract discussion, but I am going to imagine that depends on the Di Maria situation. If he goes (which is looking very likely), then Young will probably get a year contract offer, stay, and maybe even play this game and the Spurs game from the start. Regardless, I'd hope to see this:

De Gea
Carrick
Herrera Schneiderlin
Mata Rooney Memphis​

Valencia, Pereira, Lingard, Januzaj, Wilson, Blackett, and McNair to get half an hour at the end again. Schweinsteger too, if fit.

Expect Blind, Young, and maybe Hernandez to get some game time as well though... So someone has to miss out if Bastian is back.
Wishful thinking. You know he isn't going to play "point backward" so why persist with it. We bought 2 DMs so we can finally play the "point forward" 4-3-3 that Lvg prefers. Time to get with the program.

Havak

Pokemon master
Wishful thinking. You know he isn't going to play "point backward" so why persist with it. We bought 2 DMs so we can finally play the "point forward" 4-3-3 that Lvg prefers. Time to get with the program.
Flat three, two up one back, one back two up, two girls one cup... Whatever the feck it is it's three in midfield.

Raw

I finally figured out the rules to this thing. If we win (either in normal time or on penalties) then we win the cup. If we lose on penalties, we'll be joint 1st. I'm assuming the tie-breaker would be GD, which is also equal to NY Red Bulls, so if it goes down to goals scored we'd need a 3-3 draw. Loss in normal time results in PSG winning the cup, depending on how badly we lose (their GD is +3, NY is +5).

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I really want us to put out a 4-3-3 to see how it goes... what's the point in playing the same teams over and over in pre season?

Dr Baltar

Much prefer OP's modest approach compared to those wanky attention seeking wannabe designer OPs.

It might be the most perfect OP ever. Gives you all the info you need & the first sentence sums up exactly which direction the discussion would have gone in.

It's beautiful.

Sad Chris

If AdM played yet nobody was there to see, who would he have played for..?

khoazany

Hope to see a run out for Goss.Maybe a debut for Romero to see how he does (still can loan him out if it goes very badly ;)).First tour appearance for Chicharito too maybe?

ricky-romeo

hoping to see this

--------------------------de gea-------------------------
darmian----------smalling-----jones--------------shaw
----------------schneiderlin---carrick-----------------
--------januzaj-----------mata-------------memphis
-------------------------rooney------------------------

after 62 minutes and 25 seconds

--------------------------romero-------------------------
valencia---------evans----------mcnair-------blackett
---------------------------blind---------------------------
lingard--------pereira---------fellaini--------young