Manchester United Vs PSG - International Champions Cup (OP Updated)

BarstoolProphet

This.. And in the second half he was isolated and couldn't connect much with Memphis.. We have to give PSG some credit, they set up deep and pressed well in the second half..

Granted our pace in play does not help a bit, but it is not like we played some random Chinese team 11.. They played most of their first choice players for most positions..

Not worried about the result.. We'll figure it out.. I was more worried about the state of that pitch.. Was afraid someone would get injured or something.. Glad this game is out of the way..

Now bring on Spurs.. Before that, New Kit in 3 days.. :drool:

Always with the excuses re: Rooney. The length people go to to defend him is baffling. "Took the ball out of the air a few times". Well, isn't that just great from the player we are all counting on to lead our line the coming season. The perfomance wasn't as bad as the result suggest (same with the Barcelona perfomance) but there is some worrying signs showing during the pre-season, mainly that Rooney is way past it and has been playing under-par in every single match so far this pre-season. There's not even a slight of a hint that he's going to be a 25-goal a season striker. On top of that AdM gone AWOL and DdG now also plays like he wants to be somewhere else.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Exactly and thats whats worrying, last season, was the same, we just passed the ball around in useless areas, and creating next to nothing going forward, and that was evident again, seems like LVG picks players who will follow his philosophy of pass but dont create anything
That's why I'd love to have someone like Bale who can just whack it from distance. Not pussying with the ball too much.

Nickosaur

Yes they are, but if we want to progress in CL, if we actually get there, that is the calibre of side we will meet. We are going to get one of the big teams in our group if we like it or not.
Yes they are the calibre of side we want to beat, but this was nowhere near the intensity or approach we would aim for if we were playing them competitively.

Pre season results, and even to an extent performances, don't mean a great deal. All we should be asking for is that all our players get plenty of minutes, and there are no injuries. Winning is nice and beating Barca was enjoyable, but it doesn't mean we are now at their level.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Yes they are the calibre of side we want to beat, but this was nowhere near the intensity or approach we would aim for if we were playing them competitively.

Pre season results, and even to an extent performances, don't mean a great deal. All we should be asking for is that all our players get plenty of minutes, and there are no injuries. Winning is nice and beating Barca was enjoyable, but it doesn't mean we are now at their level.
I think last nite was a wake-up call. We're still not at the level we want to be at & hopefully LvG doesnt do what he did last summer & think, because we had a wicked pre-season, that we're sorted for a title push..

Nickosaur

I think last nite was a wake-up call. We're still not at the level we want to be at & hopefully LvG doesnt do what he did last summer & think, because we had a wicked pre-season, that we're sorted for a title push..
Absolutely. I actually think that in a way, losing during preseason is more beneficial than winning. He can (hopefully) see what went wrong and work from that.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Always with the excuses re: Rooney. The length people go to to defend him is baffling. "Took the ball out of the air a few times". Well, isn't that just great from the player we are all counting on to lead our line the coming season. The perfomance wasn't as bad as the result suggest (same with the Barcelona perfomance) but there is some worrying signs showing during the pre-season, mainly that Rooney is way past it and has been playing under-par in every single match so far this pre-season. There's not even a slight of a hint that he's going to be a 25-goal a season striker. On top of that AdM gone AWOL and DdG now also plays like he wants to be somewhere else.
I think Rooney's been shite in pre-season also. His touch for starters - is piss-poor to say the least. He doesnt look like a player that's interested at all, for one reason or another. That's just my opinion from what i've seen so far.

But it's just preseason, and all i give a monkeys about is the Spurs opener & i think he'll come good. It's a massive season for him & for us aswell..

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Absolutely. I actually think that in a way, losing during preseason is more beneficial than winning. He can (hopefully) see what went wrong and work from that.
Totally agree man.

Of course we didnt want United to lose last nite, but it's a reality-check for LvG that we need to improve further & get a couple of additions in - especially a CB, wide-man/forward floater & a Striker..

BarstoolProphet

I think Rooney's been shite in pre-season also. His touch for starters - is piss-poor to say the least. He doesnt look like a player that's interested at all, for one reason or another. That's just my opinion from what i've seen so far.

But it's just preseason, and all i give a monkeys about is the Spurs opener & i think he'll come good. It's a massive season for him & for us aswell..

It is, so shouldn't over-analyze it, but the worrying sign is that he hasn't look consistently good in 2-3 years now, not just this pre-season. That he's going to come good again is more of a hope than belief now.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
It is, so shouldn't over-analyze it, but the worrying sign is that he hasn't look consistently good in 2-3 years now, not just this pre-season. That he's going to come good again is more of a hope than belief now.
He's no excuses this season though - he'll be playin up top, whereas he's been playin all over the shop for a while now. Time will tell i guess, but he needs to be solely focussed on only 2 things - scoring & assisting..

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He's no excuses this season though - he'll be playin up top, whereas he's been playin all over the shop for a while now. Time will tell i guess, but he needs to be solely focussed on only 2 things - scoring & assisting..
That is the slight problem with Wayne. Yes you want him to just stay up top where he can be dangerous. However he damn well won't stay there. He will go walk about. He's a nuisance sometimes. He wants to be the main striker, then be the main striker and score goals. Let other people do their jobs.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I agree. Last year gave a wrong signal and better to see it now what isnt working than in December.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I agree. Last year gave a wrong signal and better to see it now what isnt working than in December.
I think it proved any really good forward is going to give our defence the runaround and any team with pace will cause Carrick and Bastian problems.

BarstoolProphet

Yeah I agree, just fear that us counting on Rooney to lead our line gonna bite us in the back. Thing is, he doesn't look like he wants to stay up top. He wants to be involved all the time, when he clearly isn't good anymore for a role like that. And he offers next to no goal threat. REALLY hope he somehow finds his old self when the season starts ...

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
That is the slight problem with Wayne. Yes you want him to just stay up top where he can be dangerous. However he damn well won't stay there. He will go walk about. He's a nuisance sometimes. He wants to be the main striker, then be the main striker and score goals. Let other people do their jobs.
I think that's been the myth when Fergie was in charge - that Rooney was told to cover every inch of the pitch. He did that off his own back, to get on ball & be involved all the time imo.

Rooney is the type of player that gets bored out of his head if he's not gettin a touch of the ball, but we really only want him to be on the ball in the last third & plenty of it too..

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Personally I think a lot of PSG underrating goes on here. I discovered in the last 2 seasons they aren't quite as bad as I expected either.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Personally I think a lot of PSG underrating goes on here. I discovered in the last 2 seasons they aren't quite as bad as I expected either.
It's about how we've lined up/looked and so forth rather than how shit PSG is.

I find it surprising that so many people jump the gun though.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
Yeah I agree, just fear that us counting on Rooney to lead our line gonna bite us in the back. Thing is, he doesn't look like he wants to stay up top. He wants to be involved all the time, when he clearly isn't good anymore for a role like that. And he offers next to no goal threat. REALLY hope he somehow finds his old self when the season starts ...
It's putting all our eggs in one basket with having Rooney the great goal-scoring hope & that's just shit planning. We need more options than just Rooney..

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah, PSG are a very good team, who is obviously better than us. Now our tactical organization, particularly in attack was very bad.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's about how we've lined up/looked and so forth rather than how shit PSG is.

I find it surprising that so many people jump the gun though.
Personally I didn't liked our attack against America, Barcelona and PSG. I said nothing after the first two games, but I'm fed up, Young does nothing, against Barcelona at some point he refused to run past Adriano in 1v1 at 40m from goals. Mata seems to not care about the right wing and Memphis is castrated by his current role.

pauldyson1uk

WOW the reaction in this thread , you would of thought we had just lost the CL Final.
These matches mean nothing, for me they are just for getting match fit and helping new player fit in and for the club MONEY.
The players are not going to give it their all in it,not when the start of the season is so close.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Not too bothered. We played alright. Two defensive errors. We know we need more pace/creativity. It would be nice to have won but then it says nothing about the season. The only thing that annoys me is Blind at the back. I understand he's less awkward a passer then smalling but he's small, lacks pace and ain't a defender.

Question234

That's why I'd love to have someone like Bale who can just whack it from distance. Not pussying with the ball too much.
and in doing that he would upset LVG, when you u lot understand that he doesn't want players to take risks and to only take the shot when it's 100% on.

MDFC Manager

and in doing that he would upset LVG, when you u lot understand that he doesn't want players to take risks and to only take the shot when it's 100% on.
Did you just make that up? There's been loads of occasions where our players have taken shots from unlikely positions.

Question234

Did you just make that up? There's been loads of occasions where our players have taken shots from unlikely positions.
mata and herrera interviews from last year telling them that they're only supposed to take a shot when it's a 100% on

And no, Last year i saw multiple times where shots on on for certain players but they turn and find the pass instead.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
mata and herrera interviews from last year telling them that they're only supposed to take a shot when it's a 100% on

And no, Last year i saw multiple times where shots on on for certain players but they turn and find the pass instead.
I personally dislike/hate it if we become Barca's lite. It's boring, and look pretentious as a physical sport.

Oneunited26

We beat the likes of barca in pre-season, people say it's only pre-season we can't read into it, we lose to PSG people going nuts. Pick and choose in it

prath92

I don't think he means don't shoot. He just prefers that people don't waste chances by shooting them from 30 yards out. The likelihood of it going in is very less.

We have seen how mata Rooney and all scored wonder goals even though they could have passed to someone else. Players like Rojo Shaw blind etc have taken many shots from outside the box.

Hed Zitin

The CB's were poor. Positionally clueless. Night and day compared to their defending.

Very sloppy play out from the back all pre season.

Another team that press far better than we do.

When they went to settle for 2 goals we looked bereft of ideas. Couldn't break them down.

General passing was fine and the fullbacks played well.

Maxii

Paad
I can't imagine what this place will be like if we lose to Spurs next week.
Everyone will be fuming, and rightly so. The importance of getting off to a good start is massive. I wouldn't look too much into the PSG defeat, but we really need to start off with a win next week.