Manchester United vs Rayo Vallecano (Sun 31st July, 16:00 UK time) | Happy King (Bebe) Day

Dare to Zlatan

Supports
Zlatan
Garner is miles behind the rest of the squad fitness wise, as he didn't play at all on the tour of Australia due to injury.
ok, my original question still stands, what did he do today to warrant the praise he is receiving? a few posters have included him in their list of players certainly ready for the first team.

Telsim

The only real standout among the youngsters was Garnacho. Real talent. The rest are clearly not ready. Not even Laird and Garner. Each had a few good moments, but we will get wrecked in the league if we have to rely on them. Martinez and Eriksen were also class. VdB also had a better game than he usually does.

On the other hand, Chong was dreadful. Him and Telles need to be sold on short notice.

MrSingh2002

Chong no end product

Laird no balls to want the ball

Martinez solid

Garnacho pacey and good dribbling

Other than that nothing of note

SirScholes

VDB is absolutely shite, I don’t think I’ve seen a more nothing player
Even Scot has a bit more, and he’s bang average at best

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Seems Dalot was with Ronaldo and alot of people outside the stadium for it to be during the game, sounds like horseshit

Woodzy

He did, but big deal?
Ive generally thought Ronaldo could still work out for us but yeh if he left the stadium without special circumstances then it’s a big deal. It does nothing for the team if one player thinks he hasn’t even gotta hang around till the end of the game

Swedish_Plumber

He seems a better stylistic fit for us at the moment, comfortable receiving the ball in tight spots and popping it off to his team mates, just lacks the first team experience that Garner has from his loans.
Yeah that’s true. However I think I’d go with zidane if he’s a better fit. Dunno if I want another player hiding from the ball as Garner did often today.

SirAF

Ageist
Ive generally thought Ronaldo could still work out for us but yeh if he left the stadium without special circumstances then it’s a big deal. It does nothing for the team if one player thinks he hasn’t even gotta hang around till the end of the game
Let’s wait and see.

Rolaholic

Biggest takeaways from today for me are that Garnacho needs to be in the squad this season and Laird shouldn't be allowed on loan.

With AWB seemingly being on the way out, Laird seems capable of providing the attacking threat on the right we've lacked along with offering better defensive solidity than Dalot. He saved one or 2 goals on his own today with his good positioning and timing.

He was also developing a decent understanding with Sancho earlier on tour when they shared pitch time together.

Garnacho might be our best backup option at LW if Rashford is the designated first choice while Sancho is on the right. His tenacity would absolutely be a good asset to have off the bench and he can keep Rash on his toes the same way I expect Malacia to do for Shaw.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The only players who played today who I feel will get meaningful minutes this season are probably Varane, Martinez, Eriksen and then Ronaldo if he stays. Of those, I'd be happy if Ronaldo left, and Varane probably isn't a starter at the moment. And then from the others, Garnacho we have high hopes for and Zidane has shown promise. The rest are very "meh" in my eyes.

Anyway, the performance itself was the least Ten Hag like performance so far IMO. Not surprising with it being a full rotation, but there wasn't a whole lot of impressive football going on.

Martinez i like the look of. Varane was meh. Laird i have some hope for long term to be a United player, but he should be loaned for now. Telles is pointless. The midfield really failed to control the game which shouldn't happen when you look at the players we had vs theirs. Eriksen will need te to get fit of course, Donny never stands out no matter the opposition, Garner seemed to be hiding. Garnacho easily MotM, Ronaldo just does what he wants on the pitch and doesn't fit Ten Hag at all for me. Chong was horrible, constantly made the wrong decision.

Amad did well when he came on, but he needs a loan. Shoretire I've never seen him actually do anything when he's appeared for the first team, though he's young. Though he's older than Garnacho and he's not a patch on him, so we'll see there. Zidane was excellent when he came in. Hannibal did alright, but I've been disappointed in his first team action so far given his talent from the reserves. Needs a loan.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Biggest takeaways from today for me are that Garnacho needs to be in the squad this season and Laird shouldn't be allowed on loan.

With AWB seemingly being on the way out, Laird seems capable of providing the attacking threat on the right we've lacked along with offering better defensive solidity than Dalot. He saved one or 2 goals on his own today with his good positioning and timing.

He was also developing a decent understanding with Sancho earlier on tour when they shared pitch time together.

Garnacho might be our best backup option at LW if Rashford is the designated first choice while Sancho is on the right. His tenacity would absolutely be a good asset to have off the bench and he can keep Rash on his toes the same way I expect Malacia to do for Shaw.
Funny, I'm the opposite where I think a good loan for Laird would progress him way more than any backup role here would do for him. He could really excel somewhere on loan, build his fitness, and then join the squad next summer and compete with Dalot. Potential is there, but needs game time.

roseguy64

Oh stop with VDB moaning, ETH rates him much more than "know it all" Cafters on here.
Today was the first game in a Man Utd shirt where he wasn't just a cone/average. He's never been bad, just there. At least he showed me something today. Yesterday it was more of the same re: the training cone.

AndyMUFC

Decent game, think the young lads were pretty good overall. Garnacho was definitely the standout, proper exciting player and makes running with the ball look so easy. Zidane is definitely the most promising of the youngsters after him and Amad had a good half also. Of the senior players, it was definitely Van De Beek's best of game of pre-season. He got furthe forward and think it helps him when he's got a player on a similar wavelength like Eriksen.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
The only real standout among the youngsters was Garnacho. Real talent. The rest are clearly not ready. Not even Laird and Garner. Each had a few good moments, but we will get wrecked in the league if we have to rely on them. Martinez and Eriksen were also class. VdB also had a better game than he usually does.

On the other hand, Chong was dreadful. Him and Telles need to be sold on short notice.
You really didn’t rate Laird? I though he had a great game. Really lively, always looking to get forward.

devips

Nobody in this thread has made a mention of Tom Heaton's performance. I found him very good.

GwilDor

Watching the rerun of the game, doing an as we go thoughts kind of thing, but posting at the end. So, sorry for long post in advance.
Thoughts:
- Chong is lacking in awareness, needs to develop, doubt he has a future at United.
- Laird is good, but maybe too inconsistent. Needs more experience/gametime. Think i saw something about a new loan? Great for him if so!

- That pass sequence at 29 minute is what i hope to see from us going forward. One touch football with great movement ❤ Right up ETH alley i hope!

- Garnacho is what he is. Still too early to see what will become of him. I feel shades of Januzaj,for the next moment to see a bit of Cristiano Ronaldo in him. Exciting to watch for sure.

- Chong is gonna end up as a more defensive 8, or even a 6. his attacking qualities are not good enough tbh. Top championship player, or even a bottom half PL player. Cash in or loan out imo.

- Telles has been played out of position so far in the preseason, tonight i think he did significantly better, not surprising. I think ETH has tried his skills to see if he could fit in a Jurien Timber kind of role, moving into DM when attacking, without showing success. I think, if ETH could sell Telles and replace him with a better RB than Dalot, he’d love that swap. No real suggestions to who that would be though, wxcept maybe Dumfries?

- Lisandro Martinez was a bit anonymous in first half, which i’d consider a good thing. Didn’t notice much in second either until he was subbed. Am i blind?

- Garner has been decent, but i expect he’s going on loan if FDJ is coming, or IF we’re getting someone else in the FDJ mould. Not similar players, but both could fill some part of existing holes in our midfields. Think Garner is still too limited, but not giving up on him yet.
- Hannibal needs a loan i think. He is soooo talented, but needs to get a grip of what senior football is all about. If he could go to the likes of Rangers(like Amad, but i think more gametime), it would do him a world of good.
- Zidane Iqbal: i’ve watched a few u18/21 games, but he never quite caught my eye. In the pre-season though, he has been impressive. Closer to FDJ than Garner, but still a different profile. Quite an exciting player. ETH has mentioned developing our own midfielder if we can’t get our transfer target, could it be Iqbal?
-Gotta say i like Amad’s close control, but i’m concerned with regards to some of his personality traits, getting as little game-time at Rangers as he did last season?

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
They missed relegation by 4 points. Hardly a La liga fixture there.
Everton finished 4 points above relegation. last time I checked they were still a pl team

Vallacano would probably not get relegated if you put them in the pl

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
This is the pre season game I was most satisfied with. So many young players we will see a lot of this season.
Erik has decided to break up the squad into two groups.
One for the League.
The other for the Cup matches.
He is not going to burn out anyone. There will be some movement between the two groups.

Each group will be a mixture of experience and youth.
He will still strengthen the squad with FdJ and a striker.

Don't be surprised to see Ronaldo if he is still here to be among the Cup matches.

Glorio

I thought when a good crux of the kids were on they actually had RV on the ropes.

Iqbal was excellent, Amad seemed to grow into the game, Laird was another who seemed to grow into the game as well, and bar one loose moment, I thought Hannibal was really good too - knowing his game, he must crave more touches of the ball though. Garnacho was mint.

I hope ETH really does give them chances as we've been quite terrible trusting youngsters recently - it's never sensible or gradual, they're either straight into the deep end, or they're completely ignored.

Ooo tattoo boy was only on for a few mins, but he looked good as well. This crop of youngsters seem to have a lot of technical ability. One could argue that on the whole, our kids have more pure technical talent than the first team.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
How did Garnacho do? We really need a wide man and I'm hoping he can be that, but I've not seen enough of him to know if he's worth being given a run. No pint just playing him for ive minutes here and three minutes there.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
How did Garnacho do? We really need a wide man and I'm hoping he can be that, but I've not seen enough of him to know if he's worth being given a run. No pint just playing him for ive minutes here and three minutes there.
Think teenage Ronaldo but 'only' 80%