Kick-off
Wed, 28 October 2020 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    .......VS..................

Date - Wednesday, October 28 2020
    Kickoff Time - 2000 Hrs BST
    Venue - Old Trafford, Manchester

Champions League form guide

Manchester United: W
    RB Leipzig: W

Previous Meetings

N/A

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins:
    RB Leipzig wins:
    Draws: 0

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Julian Nagelsmann

Team News

Manchester United

Eric Bailly, Jesse Lingard, Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo and Sergio Romero ruled out.

RB Leipzig

Lukas Klostermann and Amadou Haidara ruled out. Konrad Laimer doubtful.

Know the opposition

RasenBallsport Leipzig e.V. (lit. Lawn Ball Sports Leipzig), commonly known as RB Leipzig, is a German professional football club based in Leipzig, Saxony. It was in Leipzig that the German Football Association (DFB) was founded on 28 January 1900, with the country's governing body crowning VfB Leipzig its first league champions three years later. The club would go on to lift two more titles before eventually being dissolved at the end of the Second World War. From the club's ashes rose SC Rotation Leipzig, FC Lokomotive Leipzig and FC Lok Stendel, who vied for local bragging rights in the DDR Oberliga; the highest division in East Germany from the 1950s, right up until Germany's reunification and the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989. The club was founded in 2009 by the initiative of the company Red Bull GmbH, which purchased the playing rights of fifth-tier side SSV Markranstädt with the intent of advancing the new club to the top-flight Bundesliga within eight years.

In its inaugural season in 2009–10, RB Leipzig dominated the NOFV-Oberliga Süd (V) and was promoted as champions to the Regionalliga Nord (IV). RB Leipzig won the 2012–13 Regionalliga Nordost season without a single defeat and was promoted to the 3. Liga (III), then finished the 2013–14 3. Liga season as runners-up and was promoted to the 2. Bundesliga (II) as the first team since the introduction of the 3. Liga to win promotion after only one season. On 8 May 2016, RB Leipzig ensured promotion to the Bundesliga for the 2016–17 season with a 2–0 win over Karlsruher SC. One year later, RB Leipzig captured a place in the 2017–18 UEFA Champions League by finishing as runners-up in the Bundesliga. On 18 August 2020, the club made history by participating in their first Champions League semi-finals, losing against Paris Saint-Germain of France.

The club nickname is Die Roten Bullen (English: The Red Bulls) due to the energy drink company Red Bull being the sole investor of the club. RB Leipzig plays its home matches at the Red Bull Arena.

Referee

Slavko Vinčić.​

sillwuka

Let's play a back 3 of Tuanzebe, Lindelof and Maguire.

AWB and Telles on either side. Also Van de Beek needs a start here desperately.

Siorac

Draw is the most likely result I guess. I'd give Van de Beek a start, just to finally see him in a serious game but Ole apparently won't.

podurban2

This one should be a lot more fun, I hope.

AWB-Tuanzebe-Maguire-Telles
    DVB-Fred-Pogba
    Greenwood-Cavani-Rashford

Something like that

Bwuk

Rotate it a bit.

De Gea
    Axel - Maguire - Lindelof
    AWB - Matic - Van de Beek - Telles
    Pogba
    Cavani - Martial

Last edited:

MrBest

Hendo
    AWB Tuanzabe Maguire Telles
    Matic DVB
    Pogba
    Greenwood Cavani Martial

Bench: De Gea, Shaw, Lindeloff, Bruno, Rashford, Matic, Pellistri

I don't want to see James play again for us until he learns to beat a man or develops his football brain. At this moment, he is not cut out or this squad. I want to see rotation, Donny needs to start and Bruno needs a rest. Cavani needs minutes, Martial can play left forward. I would also like to see Hendo be our champions league keeper, i think De Gea has been great recently but we need to keep Hendo interested.

NJM78

Based on our home form the end of last season and beginning of this one, I would take a draw.

If I see Dan James starting my day one Ole out feeling will grow so much stronger.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    If we can get a win here we would be in pole position to qualify.

Will be hard though.

el3mel

Winning this is really important to give us a solid lead in the group and leave PSG and RB to fight for second spot.

De Gea
    AWB - Tuanzebe - Lindelof - Shaw - Telles
    Fred - VDB
    Bruno
    Rashford - Martial

But I think Scott will start ahead of VDB though.

Mcking

De Gea
    Tuanzebe Maguire Shaw
    AWB Pogba Fred Telles
    Bruno
    Martial Rashford​

Danish Wizard

Rotate the squad a bit, some players are in need of a start. While others might need a bit of a rest (Maguire, Rashford & Bruno)
    I would go with
    Henderson
    Wan-Bissaka - Tuanzebe - Lindelof - Telles
    Matic - Pogba
    Greenwood - van de Beek - Martial
    Cavani

It would be strong from the start, and good quality on the bench too.

Dr. StrangeHate

This is the game for Ole's football. We have a far better squad and they like to attach, perfect for us to counter.

Ludens the Red

Could either be the perfect game for us because we’ll have space or the worse because they press and hunt like madmen. Whatever we do, do not start Matic and Pogba....

SER19

Win this and we've a serious chance of knockouts by gameweek 4. Huge game, love CL ties

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
    DDG
    AWB AXEL VICTOR TELLES
    MATIC
    POGBA VDB
    BRUNO
    CAVANI MARTIAL​

Maguire looked like a new signing vs Chelsea with all the rest he’s had. Another mid week rest would do him well. Rashford starts from the bench as he looked gassed again. Telles to provide the width and crossing.
    Easy win, they wouldn’t touch the ball with those players in midfield

Leonzo1

-------------------DDG--------------------
    AWB--Axel---------Maguire--Telles
    -------------------Matic--------------------
    -------------VDB----------Pogba----------
    Greenwood---------------------Martial
    -----------------------Cavani-----------------

Reckon it will be a tight match but at the end we'll win comfortably. 3-0 United.

LJJT

I think we will win this comfortably: play Maguire then we can okay Axel vs Arsenal

Santoryo

ripping the reward
    Hasn't Bruno been playing non stop including the international games? We have depth in midfield for us to run an integral player into the ground by starting him every single game, especially when they're coming every other day.

We're well stocked up in midfield to be overplaying anyone in that position.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Feels like we lost the momentum that was starting to build after today. Still no home wins three games into the season. Think this might be another struggle.

georgipep

Hasn't Bruno been playing non stop including the international games? We have depth in midfield for us to run an integral player into the ground by starting him every single game, especially when they're coming every other day.

We're well stocked up in midfield to be overplaying anyone in that position.
    Would you have played anyone else against PSG or Chelsea?

K_Ash

Rashford cannot start(rested)
    Bruno cannot start (rested)
    Shaw cannot start (rested)
    McTom might have picked up a slight knock

Santoryo

ripping the reward
    Would you have played anyone else against PSG or Chelsea?
    Against Chelsea yeah. But since Bruno didn't get rested against Chelsea he should start from the bench against Leipzeig. Midfield is the area where we're the most stacked and shuffling wouldn't see drop in quality.

In Pogba and VDB, that's 2 players who could play that advanced midfield role occupied by Bruno if Ole wanted to.

We don't want to find ourselves in a situation like last year where Ole overplayed his very same players despite having decent midfield options with Fred and Scott.

By the end of the season Bruno was running in gas while the likes of Fred and Scott couldn't find their feet anymore because they were undercooked and lost their mojo. This is a squad game, you shuffle your good players around to give them both rest and rythm.

3 games in since the Newcastle one and it's starting to look like Ole about to misuse his squad again with playing the same 3 midfield (Fred, Scott and Bruno) 3 games in a row in short space of time while he has alternative of the likes of Pogba, Matic and VDB.

Any team with that much talent in midfield rotate them, especially with condensed fixtures but Ole still doing the same mistake he did last year.

Now he has got to shuffle the midfield a bit against Leipzeig Wednesday. Can't have the same exact midfield play 4 games in a row in such sort amount of time.

cyberman

Rashford cannot start(rested)
    Bruno cannot start (rested)
    Shaw cannot start (rested)
    McTom might have picked up a slight knock
    I think the 4 you mentioned will play here but could be rested v Arsenal. The schedule is just relentless.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
    I think the 4 you mentioned will play here but could be rested v Arsenal. The schedule is just relentless.
    They should be rested midweek in the CL and come back for the Arsenal game. Bruno has been playing non stop including the international games almost every 3 days and is due a rest.

Ole simply has no excuse to fail to provide adequate rest and protection for his key players in midfield given how stacked we are in that area.

Devil may care

No point in having a squad if we don't use it, Leipzig press very hard so we can't change the double pivot but I'd bring Axel in alongside Maguire use Telles and Van de Beek and give Pogba a start.

K_Ash

VdB has started a Semi-Final of the UCL. If he does not start on Wednesday then there needs to be some kind of "public inquiry".
    I rather have Bruno & Rashford "rested" for Arsenal

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    Be nice to see that Dutch bloke we bought...whatever his name is...I forget, Someone remind me

Hansinity

Supports
    Bayern Munich
    Really looking forward to this one. Will be fun to watch. Leipzig will attack and Manchester can counter. Should be a super entertaining match!

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    If we can get a win here, all we have to do is beat Istanbul. I will take any kind of win tbh.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    De Gea
    Tuanzebe Maguire Shaw
    Wan Bissaka Matic Pogba Telles
    Van de Beek
    Martial Cavani​

Would do this. Van de Beek needs a start, no reason to not use him more. He's a quality player and needs to be trusted. Tuanzebe back in, Telles back in, rest Bruno and Rashford, while McTominay and Fred played the last 3 games so use Matic who will be fresh. Has plenty of creativity, control and goals in it while being balanced defensively. Win and our path to qualifying becomes very straightforward, beat Istanbul and we're basically good (apart from unlikely scenario Leipzig/PSG share wins, we lose other 2 games vs them, and they both beat Istanbul twice.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
    De Gea
    Tuanzebe Maguire Shaw
    Wan Bissaka Matic Pogba Telles
    Van de Beek
    Martial Cavani​

Would do this. Van de Beek needs a start, no reason to not use him more. He's a quality player and needs to be trusted. Tuanzebe back in, Telles back in, rest Bruno and Rashford, while McTominay and Fred played the last 3 games so use Matic who will be fresh. Has plenty of creativity, control and goals in it while being balanced defensively. Win and our path to qualifying becomes very straightforward, beat Istanbul and we're basically good (apart from unlikely scenario Leipzig/PSG share wins, we lose other 2 games vs them, and they both beat Istanbul twice.
    I'd go along with that, bring Greenwood on at the hour so he's still fresh to start the next game.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 81% of 440 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 447 ratings.

Score Predictions