Kick-off
Wed, 28 October 2020 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

AngliaRed

I give up predicting an 11 these days as OGS just doesn’t have a clue what his best 11 is so I’ll say that:

Should start:
    Telles
    Tuenzebe
    Pogba
    VDB
    Cavani

Could do with a rest;
    Bruno
    Rashford

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    @Adnan Given your encyclopaedic knowledge on Leipzig and Nagelsmann, would love to read your analysis on how you think Leipzig will approach this game, what team and tactics you think Ole should deploy and how you think this game will play out.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    This is a much tougher game than PSG. Have followed Leipzig religiously for the last 18 months and their power, running game and workrate is streets ahead of us.

We have better players but they play to a style that is so hard to stop, they attack you from all sides and not afraid to leave gaps to suffocate you in your own box.
    How do you think they will line up and how will they play away from home?
    and what is Ole's best team to beat that?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    We won’t be resting our best players against Leipzig, they are too good for that. I know our schedule is tough and players will get overwhelmed but we have to treat CL seriously.
    Not a case of resting, more that they wont have the legs required in what will almost certainly be a high energy pressing onslaught from both sides.

Im concerned Bruno, Rashford and AWB will be leggy and that could easily facilitate muscle injuries.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
    Very unpopular opinion - id bench Bruno & Rashford for this & play Matic, Pogba & VDB with Cavani.

De Gea
    Wan-Bissaka Tuanzebe Maguire Shaw/Telles
    Matic
    Van de Beek Pogba
    Greenwood Cavani Martial

Dr. StrangeHate

Going by what I incessantly hear about the gulf in class between both managers, anything less than a 7-0 loss, I'd be very underwhelmed by Nagelsmann.

If Ole wins though ...
    I would say the complete opposite. These are the games suited to Ole's counterattacking style. I think we will do well in the CL until we come up against a pragmatic manager. For example Simone will be a nightmare match for Ole.

Eddy_JukeZ

Cavani did more in the time he was on than rashford did the whole match. Despite not playing for 6 months. Rashford seems to have branded himself as an elite player but he’s more often than not brain dead in the attacking third.
    WUM.

YzWayne

Come on guys, your lineup prediction will definitely be wrong if you don't include James in it. Have faith in him!

He brings nothing to the game

cptkeane1993

Nagelsmann would have studied and poked holes at our 2 formations to date this season, the 3-4-1-2 and 4-2-3-1. We should try and go with something else to provide the element of surprise, Ole has done that before, either with a 4-4-2 Diamond or a 3-4-2-1. Both of these will see us with 2 DM's and 2 AM's - McFred with Bruno and VdB/Pogba ahead.

DDG
    AWB Maguire Lindelof Telles
    Fred
    McTominay de Beek
    Bruno
    Greenwood Martial​

I'd bring Pogba on and Rashford on in the second half. It's important to keep the forward lines fresh and firing..

Nagelsmann is apparently the next best thing in football management. I'm curious to see how Ole sets up against this Leipzig team, knowing him he'll relish it.

Listar

Cavani did more in the time he was on than rashford did the whole match. Despite not playing for 6 months. Rashford seems to have branded himself as an elite player but he’s more often than not brain dead in the attacking third.
    I thought the best saved from Mendy came from Rashford?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
    @Adnan Given your encyclopaedic knowledge on Leipzig and Nagelsmann, would love to read your analysis on how you think Leipzig will approach this game, what team and tactics you think Ole should deploy and how you think this game will play out.
    I'm looking forward to this match up and it's gonna be interesting to see how both Ole and Nagelsmann approach the game.

It does seem like Nagelsmann prefers a variation of the back 3 formation whether that be 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1. But he's also used a back 4 when he rested Lukas Klostermann against Schalke in a game they won 4-0 and he then proceeded to revert back to a 3 man back line in the very next game against Augsburg where he brought back Klostermann and partnered him with Upamecano and Halstenberg. Klostermann unfortunately suffered a knee injury in the game and will subsequently be out for several months and Nagelsmann has since used a back 4 in his absence but might be tempted to revert back to a 3 man back line against us if he feels the returning Ibrahima Konate is ready to start the game. Konate has been on the bench for the last few games but according to Nagelsmann he didn't feel he was ready to start a game just yet and was waiting for the opportune moment to start him in a game where he felt he could ease him in. But he did play the final 25 minutes against Istanbul in the UCL game on match day 1 so there's a outside chance he might play him from the start.

Leipzig will play as they always plays by building from the back patiently before trying to transition quickly once the ball is out of the first phase of the build up IMO. If he does play Konate and goes with a back 3 then expect one of the 3 CBs to step into midfield which will give them a numerical advantage in midfield and will open up passing lanes and create triangles which we should be mindful of. Off the ball they will apply high pressure and will attempt to cut off passing lanes and will try and shepherd our ball carriers to pass towards a designated wide receiver which will likely be Wan Bissaka, who I believe they will leave unmarked to set him up for the wide pressing trap. Konrad Laimer was normally the player for that job from midfield and he initiated the wide pressing trap in tandem with several other players superbly well. But he's out injured so they'll miss him in that regard. But I hope we don't attempt to play out from the back which right now doesn't suits us.

Another thing that Leipzig are very strong at is having players who can slot into several positions which allows them to change formation in-game which in-turn allows them to maintain structure in defensive or offensive transition.. Players like Tyler Adams who has been deployed at CB and midfield. Klostermann who is a fullback but has been deployed at CB. Angelino (ex City) who has been deployed at fullback/wingback/Left wing. Dani Olmo who has been deployed at wing forward and as a CAM. Forsberg who is a CAM but has also been deployed as a false #9 in a 3-4-3. Amadou Haidara a midfielder who is deployed as a wingback. I can go on but that's something we should be mindful of.

Konrad Laimer looks like he won't be playing so he will be a big miss for them. But Nagelsmann will likely use two of Kevin Kampl, Tyler Adams or Henrichs in a two man midfield who will provide the energy and legs in midfield. But what I'm interested in is will he start both Forsberg and Olmo in tandem. Both players have the guile and ingenuity to unlock defenses and will be dangerous if paired together and will have to be watched closely. Nagelsmann has deployed both players several times in the same line up so if he does play both then I'm expecting a 3-4-2-1 formation or even a 3-4-3 with Forsberg as the false #9 and Olmo as the LWF. Forsberg is also very dangerous on set pieces so we'll have to be mindful of that too but alot depends on if Nagelsmann feels Konate is ready to start. But it's very difficult to second second guess Nagelsmann due to his rotation of players.

For us I hope Ole starts Rashford with Martial because there's gonna be possibilities to get in behind which could cause Leipzig issues if we can advance play to a good level. If Konate doesn't play then I feel there's a possibility we could hurt them from set pieces with Maguire and Cavani potentially getting on the end of good deliveries from Telles or Fernandes. But the key is gonna be to stay disciplined and express ourselves in midfield and match Leipzig's high intensity. If we can manage that then we can win the game because we have quality players too.

Last edited:

I hope we'll see Ole test a diamond 442.
    Henderson; Williams, Lindelöf, Tuanzebe, Telles; McTominay, Fred, Pogba, van de Beek; Greenwood, Martial.

McTominay as the cdm, Fred and Pogba as the pivot and van de Beek as the 10.

Give rest to Wan-Bissaka, Shaw, Maguire, Bruno and Rashford.

PitTon

I'm interested to see how we defend against their wing play especially on the left with Angelino movement. It's gonna be a good preparation too for Arsenal as the way play and how their LCB Tierney proves to be dangerous with his overlap and movement.

Glorio

I'm interested to see how we defend against their wing play especially on the left with Angelino movement. It's gonna be a good preparation too for Arsenal as the way play and how their LCB Tierney proves to be dangerous with his overlap and movement.
    If we play 4-2-3-1, that might count against Greenwood as you could have AWB in no man's land trying to track 2 players. If the double pivot is McFred though, he might just get the protection he needs

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    So do we want Caf favourite Ole to win or do we want the other Caf favourite Nagelsmann to win this match? :wenger:
    Any Utd fan who wants Leipzig to win based on some vain hope it will facilitate Nagelsmann's appointment should feck off.

It will be interesting to see Nagelsmann's tactics in this match though. He is known for being very pragmatic in his formations, 4-4-2 to 3-3-2-2 at times. Laimer's positioning will be crucial to them. There's no way we have underestimated them. Strong side with Martial back in prominence

A-man

They are very different players imo. Rashford is a speedy attacker who is very useful for counters plus he’s good at shooting from distance. Cavani is much better box player. Both his biggest chances were close to goal.

I thought Leipzig looked vulnerable in CL last season when players ran in behind the CBs and on counters. If Ole want to play 5 at the back plus a strong defensive midfield, then I think we need Rashford. If we aim to dominate, then maybe Cavani is better.

A-man

I think Ole will play the same team as vs PSG except one of Lindelof/Shaw/ Telles will rest, and instead play Maguire. Looking at injury history it might be good to rest Shaw.
    Also it seemed as McT got a hit at the end of the Chelsea game but haven’t heard anything about that.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    They are very different players imo. Rashford is a speedy attacker who is very useful for counters plus he’s good at shooting from distance. Cavani is much better box player. Both his biggest chances were close to goal.

I thought Leipzig looked vulnerable in CL last season when players ran in behind the CBs and on counters. If Ole want to play 5 at the back plus a strong defensive midfield, then I think we need Rashford. If we aim to dominate, then maybe Cavani is better.
    Cavani could play the pivot in a front 3 with Martial. If Rashy's still feeling the effects of some hard challenges, he could go with Martial/Cavani/Greenwood.

It's the 3-5-2 that's a conundrum for me. I think DVB will flourish in a midfield behind a front 2. Don't think we need both Fred and McT personally.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
    Scout
    I'm looking forward to this match up and it's gonna be interesting to see how both Ole and Nagelsmann approach the game.

It does seem like Nagelsmann prefers a variation of the back 3 formation whether that be 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1. But he's also used a back 4 when he rested Lukas Klostermann against Schalke in a game they won 4-0 and he then proceeded to revert back to a 3 man back line in the very next game against Augsburg where he brought back Klostermann and partnered him with Upamecano and Halstenberg. Klostermann unfortunately suffered a knee injury in the game and will subsequently be out for several months and Nagelsmann has since used a back 4 in his absence but might be tempted to revert back to a 3 man back line against us if he feels the returning Ibrahima Konate is ready to start the game. Konate has been on the bench for the last few games but according to Nagelsmann he didn't feel he was ready to start a game just yet and was waiting for the opportune moment to start him in a game where he felt he could ease him in. But he did play the final 25 minutes against Istanbul in the UCL game on match day 1 so there's a outside chance he might play him from the start.

Leipzig will play as they always plays by building from the back patiently before trying to transition quickly once the ball is out of the first phase of the build up IMO. If he does play Konate and goes with a back 3 then expect one of the 3 CBs to step into midfield which will give them a numerical advantage in midfield and will open up passing lanes and create triangles which we should be mindful of. Off the ball they will apply high pressure and will attempt to cut off passing lanes and will try and shepherd our ball carriers to pass towards a designated wide receiver which will likely be Wan Bissaka, who I believe they will leave unmarked to set him up for the wide pressing trap. Konrad Laimer was normally the player for that job from midfield and he initiated the wide pressing trap in tandem with several other players superbly well. But he's out injured so they'll miss him in that regard. But I hope we don't attempt to play out from the back which right now doesn't suits us.

Another thing that Leipzig are very strong at is having players who can slot into several positions which allows them to change formation in-game which in-turn allows them to maintain structure in defensive or offensive transition.. Players like Tyler Adams who has been deployed at CB and midfield. Klostermann who is a fullback but has been deployed at CB. Angelino (ex City) who has been deployed at fullback/wingback/Left wing. Dani Olmo who has been deployed at wing forward and as a CAM. Forsberg who is a CAM but has also been deployed as a false #9 in a 3-4-3. Amadou Haidara a midfielder who is deployed as a wingback. I can go on but that's something we should be mindful of.

Konrad Laimer looks like he won't be playing so he will be a big miss for them. But Nagelsmann will likely use two of Kevin Kampl, Tyler Adams or Henrichs in a two man midfield who will provide the energy and legs in midfield. But what I'm interested in is will he start both Forsberg and Olmo in tandem. Both players have the guile and ingenuity to unlock defenses and will be dangerous if paired together and will have to be watched closely. Nagelsmann has deployed both players several times in the same line up so if he does play both then I'm expecting a 3-4-2-1 formation or even a 3-4-3 with Forsberg as the false #9 and Olmo as the LWF. Forsberg is also very dangerous on set pieces so we'll have to be mindful of that too but alot depends on if Nagelsmann feels Konate is ready to start. But it's very difficult to second second guess Nagelsmann due to his rotation of players.

For us I hope Ole starts Rashford with Martial because there's gonna be possibilities to get in behind which could cause Leipzig issues if we can advance play to a good level. If Konate doesn't play then I feel there's a possibility we could hurt them from set pieces with Maguire and Cavani potentially getting on the end of good deliveries from Telles or Fernandes. But the key is gonna be to stay disciplined and express ourselves in midfield and match Leipzig's high intensity. If we can manage that then we can win the game because we have quality players too.
    Thanks for the detailed report, Adnan.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
    Stevenage
    Already I think Fred, AWB, Rashford & Bruno need a rest in favor of not picking up fatigue injuries that will sidetrack them for a few weeks, I'd like to list all our best players but with one eye on Arsenal and the PL being our best route to CL football again next season, I'd play

........................................DDG
    TFM/ Williams, Tuanzabe, Bailly*, Telles
    ...................................VDB, Matic, Pogba
    ......................Greenwood, Cavani, Martial

Don't care for the 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-1-2 or 4-2-1-3, it's irrelevant their starting positions, they will play as instructed, Matic should hold with VDB and Pogba staying tight when out of possession and roaming wide when in to ping passes up, Greenwood and Martial slightly behind Cavani interchanging with Cavani our last man.

* If not fit then Maguire, Lindelof has played a lot recently

Giggsyking

It does not matter who plays, what is important is we win, anything other than a win is a failure.

Havak

Pokemon master
    This has to be one of the games pencilled in as a win, along with the two games against Istanbul. Do that and we're already through really. Might even win the group if we can get a draw with this lot away or PSG at Old Trafford. I was expecting 1 point from the two PSG fixtures with 4 from Leipzig and 6 from Istanbul, but a win vs PSG really should mean we can command this group now.

There's no fitness excuse now either, basically everyone has had enough game time to perform.

Web of Bissaka

Why would it be Henderson’s turn? We should angle to give out participation trophies. DDG has done nothing to warrant being dropped, Henderson will get his Carabao & FA starts in due time. If we beat Leipzig, then it’s almost four dead rubber games, especially with the back to back v. the Turkish team. That’s when Henderson should get a peek, not in what could be our most crucial group stage match.
    Is it?
    Why so scared of RB Leipzig. Giving too many respects.

Someone's going to get frustrated with limited gaming time

Web of Bissaka

Yes, that's how professional football works :lol: :lol:
    Might as well insist on playing Bruno and Rashford, who are visibly fatigued.
    Throw rotation out of the window.

Professional football is playing your best players with little considerations on their fitness, so that when we lose next game, we can just blame "fatigue" or poor fitness as usual, and say our 2nd fiddles players are shit, instead of maybe improving their form by giving games. Oh wait, we've been singing this excuses ever since last season post-lockdown until now.

Posh Red

Professional football is playing your best players with little considerations on their fitness, so that when we lose next game, we can just blame "fatigue" or poor fitness as usual, and say our 2nd fiddles players are shit, instead of maybe improving their form by giving games.
    I doubt De Gea is feeling too fatigued mate.

UncleBob

Professional football is playing your best players with little considerations on their fitness, so that when we lose next game, we can just blame "fatigue" or poor fitness as usual, and say our 2nd fiddles players are shit, instead of maybe improving their form by giving games. Oh wait, we've been singing this excuses ever since last season post-lockdown until now.
    It was your reference to Henderson.....

Jaxa

5 Guaranteed starters:

- De Gea
    - Maguire
    - Bruno
    - Rashford
    - Martial

Everything else is up in the air, I would like to see Axel,Telles & VDB all start though, especially the latter.

My preferred team with the above in mind:

______________________ De Gea ___________________________
    __
    AWB__________Axel____________Maguire_______Telles____
    ___
    Greenwood________Martial______________Rashford_____

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
    5 Guaranteed starters:

- De Gea
    - Maguire
    - Bruno
    - Rashford
    - Martial

Everything else is up in the air, I would like to see Axel,Telles & VDB all start though, especially the latter.

My preferred team with the above in mind:

______________________ De Gea ___________________________
    __
    AWB__________Axel____________Maguire_______Telles____
    ___
    Greenwood________Martial______________Rashford_____
    That's one pacey wing: AWB, Telles, Greenwood and Ford. May be a bit overcrowded, though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 81% of 440 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 447 ratings.

Score Predictions