McTom
    Stroller
    Donny

Mase
    Martial

Ed

Harry, Rashy and Bruno could do with a break

GenZRed

No point in having a squad if we don't use it, Leipzig press very hard so we can't change the double pivot but I'd bring Axel in alongside Maguire use Telles and Van de Beek and give Pogba a start.

I'd put Pogba in Fred's place and play someone else as a LW. Perhaps Lingard (yes I know) in order to freshen the team up for the Arsenal game. Apart from that one area I agree with this line-up.

A-man

Cavani could play the pivot in a front 3 with Martial. If Rashy's still feeling the effects of some hard challenges, he could go with Martial/Cavani/Greenwood.

It's the 3-5-2 that's a conundrum for me. I think DVB will flourish in a midfield behind a front 2. Don't think we need both Fred and McT personally.
    Both Cavani and DVB are players I would like to see more of, but so far I’ve seen so little of them at United that I have no idea what form they’re in. But this could be the perfect match for DVB.

Devil may care

I'd put Pogba in Fred's place and play someone else as a LW. Perhaps Lingard (yes I know) in order to freshen the team up for the Arsenal game. Apart from that one area I agree with this line-up.
    To be honest I never want to see Pogba in the double pivot and especially not against Leipzig who have a strong pressing game. McTominay actually seemed in some discomfort towards the end of the game on Saturday so I'd move Van de Beek into the double pivot and I could see Lingard as the #10.

GenZRed

To be honest I never want to see Pogba in the double pivot and especially not against Leipzig who have a strong pressing game. McTominay actually seemed in some discomfort towards the end of the game on Saturday so I'd move Van de Beek into the double pivot and I could see Lingard as the #10.
    I get what you are saying but I just can't see Pogba being effective as a LW. Your suggestion as VdB into the double pivot and Lingard as no.10 sounds alright though.

Having said that I won't be too fussed about Pogba as a LW for this game.

Sylar

Theyve lost once since Feb right? Gonna be a very interesting game.

I reckon the PSg result gives us some leeway on this game

treble_winner

This is going to be tasty.
    "PE Teacher" Ole going against Julian Nagelsmann, the CAF's "flavor of the month"... :drool:

OleBoiii

Please win! This place is gonna go from "kind of unbearable" to "completely unbearable" if we lose to Nagelsmann :lol:

Gasolin

Last season Bayern has never beat them in the league, so I wonder how we will do ourselves.

Gasolin

Think these are pretty average and we will put them away fairly comfortably. We haven’t lost any momentum with a draw against Chelsea, such a strange opinion that comes from a negative place.
    They have 4 wins and a draw in their league and seems to be on fire. I would be surprised if they're really average but they might come to get a point only indeed.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    This will be difficult. Hopefully we sneak a win but a draw would not be bad.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
    Please win! This place is gonna go from "kind of unbearable" to "completely unbearable" if we lose to Nagelsmann :lol:
    Oh the Nagelsmann thread will be bumped from the 1st minute anyway regardless of what actually happens on the pitch.
    If we win it will be “Nagelsmann did really well, they are so so well coached, but what else can he do when he comes up against a team which has spent so much money”.

If we draw or lose: “As I have always said, we should sack Ole already and hire this messiah”.

Kyonn

Would love to see,

AWB
    Lindelof
    Maguire
    Shaw

Matic
    Pogba

Bruno

Greenwood
    Martial
    Rashford

When was the last time that lineup lost a game?

FerociousCorgis

pogba and vdb are fresh as hell but so help me anyone who even mentioned lingards name ha. If we go with fred/mct again we will struggle.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
    Might as well insist on playing Bruno and Rashford, who are visibly fatigued.
    Throw rotation out of the window.

Professional football is playing your best players with little considerations on their fitness, so that when we lose next game, we can just blame "fatigue" or poor fitness as usual, and say our 2nd fiddles players are shit, instead of maybe improving their form by giving games. Oh wait, we've been singing this excuses ever since last season post-lockdown until now.
    Very well said. Some people are acting as if we do t have the quality to rotate and we have to run the likes of Bruno and Rashford to the ground to get result. I mean the likes of Pogba, VDB, Cavani, Martial, Greenwood, Matic are the players that could easily replate, rotate with Bruno and Rashford and see no drop in quality.

Why on earth are some people(and Ole so far) hell bent on running certain players to the ground while leaving his other quality players undercooked. Ole has no excuse not to rotate and keep all our quality players fresh, rested and not undercooked.

If I see Ole forcing the same midfield for a 4th game in a row despite the quality available in the squad then he can duly feck off. Can't afford to repeat the same mistake as last season then start complaining about fatigue later when it could be avoided right now due to our current squad depth.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
    I'm nearly glad we'll have no crowd there. Remember when we stuffed Schalke in the Champions league semis and we serenaded Neuer in the hope he might come here?
    I have a nightmarish vision of the Stretford end peopled by the Caf, singing in perfect harmony and as one voice 'Juilian, we love your intricate, tactical, continental ways!' to the tune of, I don't know, something Eurovisiony.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    I'm looking forward to this match up and it's gonna be interesting to see how both Ole and Nagelsmann approach the game.

It does seem like Nagelsmann prefers a variation of the back 3 formation whether that be 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1. But he's also used a back 4 when he rested Lukas Klostermann against Schalke in a game they won 4-0 and he then proceeded to revert back to a 3 man back line in the very next game against Augsburg where he brought back Klostermann and partnered him with Upamecano and Halstenberg. Klostermann unfortunately suffered a knee injury in the game and will subsequently be out for several months and Nagelsmann has since used a back 4 in his absence but might be tempted to revert back to a 3 man back line against us if he feels the returning Ibrahima Konate is ready to start the game. Konate has been on the bench for the last few games but according to Nagelsmann he didn't feel he was ready to start a game just yet and was waiting for the opportune moment to start him in a game where he felt he could ease him in. But he did play the final 25 minutes against Istanbul in the UCL game on match day 1 so there's a outside chance he might play him from the start.

Leipzig will play as they always plays by building from the back patiently before trying to transition quickly once the ball is out of the first phase of the build up IMO. If he does play Konate and goes with a back 3 then expect one of the 3 CBs to step into midfield which will give them a numerical advantage in midfield and will open up passing lanes and create triangles which we should be mindful of. Off the ball they will apply high pressure and will attempt to cut off passing lanes and will try and shepherd our ball carriers to pass towards a designated wide receiver which will likely be Wan Bissaka, who I believe they will leave unmarked to set him up for the wide pressing trap. Konrad Laimer was normally the player for that job from midfield and he initiated the wide pressing trap in tandem with several other players superbly well. But he's out injured so they'll miss him in that regard. But I hope we don't attempt to play out from the back which right now doesn't suits us.

Another thing that Leipzig are very strong at is having players who can slot into several positions which allows them to change formation in-game which in-turn allows them to maintain structure in defensive or offensive transition.. Players like Tyler Adams who has been deployed at CB and midfield. Klostermann who is a fullback but has been deployed at CB. Angelino (ex City) who has been deployed at fullback/wingback/Left wing. Dani Olmo who has been deployed at wing forward and as a CAM. Forsberg who is a CAM but has also been deployed as a false #9 in a 3-4-3. Amadou Haidara a midfielder who is deployed as a wingback. I can go on but that's something we should be mindful of.

Konrad Laimer looks like he won't be playing so he will be a big miss for them. But Nagelsmann will likely use two of Kevin Kampl, Tyler Adams or Henrichs in a two man midfield who will provide the energy and legs in midfield. But what I'm interested in is will he start both Forsberg and Olmo in tandem. Both players have the guile and ingenuity to unlock defenses and will be dangerous if paired together and will have to be watched closely. Nagelsmann has deployed both players several times in the same line up so if he does play both then I'm expecting a 3-4-2-1 formation or even a 3-4-3 with Forsberg as the false #9 and Olmo as the LWF. Forsberg is also very dangerous on set pieces so we'll have to be mindful of that too but alot depends on if Nagelsmann feels Konate is ready to start. But it's very difficult to second second guess Nagelsmann due to his rotation of players.

For us I hope Ole starts Rashford with Martial because there's gonna be possibilities to get in behind which could cause Leipzig issues if we can advance play to a good level. If Konate doesn't play then I feel there's a possibility we could hurt them from set pieces with Maguire and Cavani potentially getting on the end of good deliveries from Telles or Fernandes. But the key is gonna be to stay disciplined and express ourselves in midfield and match Leipzig's high intensity. If we can manage that then we can win the game because we have quality players too.
    That's a great post, thanks for explaining.

So we have two strategies available: fight fire with fire, or soak up pressure and hit on counter (eg PSG).

The RBL centre back issue sounds like it will be crucial and where United can really capitalise. And defensive discipline shouldn't be an issue for United, given what the team achieved vs PSG and Chelsea.

I'd love it if Ole picked a team that came out hard and fast. Try to get couple of goals in first 15 mins, and then we can consolidate. Feels like Axel, Telles, Fred and Rashford will all be key for pressing, crossing and speed.

What formation should United deploy?

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
    I think it will be a good game but we'll win. The German league isn't very good outside of Bayern if we're honest with ourselves. I'd love to see VdB get a run out.

georgipep

Might as well insist on playing Bruno and Rashford, who are visibly fatigued.
    Throw rotation out of the window.

Professional football is playing your best players with little considerations on their fitness, so that when we lose next game, we can just blame "fatigue" or poor fitness as usual, and say our 2nd fiddles players are shit, instead of maybe improving their form by giving games. Oh wait, we've been singing this excuses ever since last season post-lockdown until now.
    So, playing James and Mata doesn't count as playing fringe players? Or it only counts for the ones you (replace with every user moaning for 'X player' not playing right now) want to see on the pitch?

FerociousCorgis

would be interesting to give players like bruno a bit of a breather. Could be done considering result against PSG. With how little pogba has played seems like a midfield 3 of fred/vdb/pogba would be pretty easy to implement. Martial should be fresh and get greenwood in there. Plenty of options to either do a front 3 of rashford/martial/greenwood, or go with a diamond and have rashford get that breather too and add a defensive guy like matic behind the 3 to really pack the midfield or go 3 at the back and get telles/awb pushed up more. Prob be hard to come up with a consensus on who we think should start

Except that we can all prob agree if he starts james again he should be fired on the spot.

DRM

Are cavani and telles likely to start? Telles's omission on Saturday was strange

GenZRed

Are cavani and telles likely to start? Telles's omission on Saturday was strange
    I would guess Telles was left out on Saturday to be saved for this game. Don't know about Cavani since I can see him starting against Arsenal.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    Laimer and Muikele their RB are regulars.
    Well, I haven’t watch RB Leipzig this season, so I only know their squad regularity based on last season. And based on last season:

Muikele wasn’t really regular, I have seen him sitting on the bench plenty of times when watching them.

Laimer was regular.

I don‘t rate klostermann but last season he was their regular one alongside Upamecano

haidara isn’t

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 81% of 440 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 447 ratings.