Wed, 28 October 2020 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
    That's a great post, thanks for explaining.

So we have two strategies available: fight fire with fire, or soak up pressure and hit on counter (eg PSG).

The RBL centre back issue sounds like it will be crucial and where United can really capitalise. And defensive discipline shouldn't be an issue for United, given what the team achieved vs PSG and Chelsea.

I'd love it if Ole picked a team that came out hard and fast. Try to get couple of goals in first 15 mins, and then we can consolidate. Feels like Axel, Telles, Fred and Rashford will all be key for pressing, crossing and speed.

What formation should United deploy?
    I think for me what's important is the personnel rather than formation. If Ole wants to play similar to how he setup against PSG then he can deploy the same players he used in that game if he chooses to do so with a back 3. But I feel Leipzig are much better than PSG at closing off the space high up the pitch due to their well coordinated press with the whole collective moving in tandem from back to front to close off the space after the press is triggered high up the pitch. This is a team that's more dangerous off the ball than on the ball IMO and have CBs that are probably the quickest in European football which allows them to play a high line. But having said that, Konate might not be deemed ready to start the game.

I would personally hope we take the game to them and if we did decide to do that then I hope we looked at the game between Leverkusen and Leipzig earlier this season where Leverkusen were unfortunate not to win in a 1-1 draw. Peter Bosz the Leverkusen coach set his team up in a 4-1-4-1 formation and went for it by pressing high and forcing errors which made it a very uncomfortable game for Leipzig. But the formation changed from 4-1-4-1 to a 4-3-3 or even a 4-5-1 off the ball depending on which zone Leipzig were attacking from. Karem Demirbay and 17 year old Florian Wirtz were both deployed as attacking midfielders but also had defensive duties off the ball and dropped off when defending to plug up the half spaces which made it a 3 man midfield next to the DM Charles Aranguiz who played his role superbly well by controlling his zone.

What Bosz showed in the above example is that he not only imposed his style on the game but also had players in attack who had high football IQ whereby they knew when to drop off and close off the space which provided structure and defensive balance on the turn over. We have Donny Van de Beek who is that player but he might not be ready to start a game due to the very little football he's played since the Dutch season ended in March this year.

theklr

We defo need a 3-5-2 formation here to be able to play out of or negate the pressure.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    I think for me what's important is the personnel rather than formation. If Ole wants to play similar to how he setup against PSG then he can deploy the same players he used in that game if he chooses to do so with a back 3. But I feel Leipzig are much better than PSG at closing off the space high up the pitch due to their well coordinated press with the whole collective moving in tandem from back to front to close off the space after the press is triggered high up the pitch. This is a team that's more dangerous off the ball than on the ball IMO and have CBs that are probably the quickest in European football which allows them to play a high line. But having said that, Konate might not be deemed ready to start the game.

I would personally hope we take the game to them and if we did decide to do that then I hope we looked at the game between Leverkusen and Leipzig earlier this season where Leverkusen were unfortunate not to win in a 1-1 draw. Peter Bosz the Leverkusen coach set his team up in a 4-1-4-1 formation and went for it by pressing high and forcing errors which made it a very uncomfortable game for Leipzig. But the formation changed from 4-1-4-1 to a 4-3-3 or even a 4-5-1 off the ball depending on which zone Leipzig were attacking from. Karem Demirbay and 17 year old Florian Wirtz were both deployed as attacking midfielders but also had defensive duties off the ball and dropped off when defending to plug up the half spaces which made it a 3 man midfield next to the DM Charles Aranguiz who played his role superbly well by controlling his zone.

What Bosz showed in the above example is that he not only imposed his style on the game but also had players in attack who had high football IQ whereby they knew when to drop off and close off the space which provided structure and defensive balance on the turn over. We have Donny Van de Beek who is that player but he might not be ready to start a game due to the very little football he's played since the Dutch season ended in March this year.
    Love your many detailed analyses on German teams; forum lucky to have it! You've educated me a great deal on Naglesmann and Rose in past months, so this will be first time I can watch these types of teams with more detailed insight.

Given what you've written, I'm still finding it hard to pick a team! You've stated that RBL are best off the ball, so they can press, regain, and break fast on counter. And as we are the home team, that means we will have to accept majority of possession?

So we need ball players in defence and midfield who are press resistant and comfortable on the ball and fast pressing ball players up high. Lets stick with the Paris formation of 3412. So team could be

............................DDG
    .......Tuanzebe, Maguire, Lindelof
    WanB...... VdB.............Pogba......Telles
    ..........................Bruno
    ......Martial...................... Rashford

Team relies on VdB and Pogba having discipline to stay back as the other moves forward to join Bruno. Ditto AWB/Telles: when one goes, the other stays back. I was tempted to start with Cavani in place of Rashford, but Im not sure he has match fitness to start against fresh players and better to come off bench fresh against more tired defenders. Which means Telles will have to provide through balls on the floor as Neither Rashford nor Martial are world class at heading.

We can bring on McT or Fred to solidify midfield after 65 mins. And put on Cavani and Greenwood for last 20 to exploit surge of crosses and counters.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
    Love your many detailed analyses on German teams; forum lucky to have it! You've educated me a great deal on Naglesmann and Rose in past months, so this will be first time I can watch these types of teams with more detailed insight.

Given what you've written, I'm still finding it hard to pick a team! You've stated that RBL are best off the ball, so they can press, regain, and break fast on counter. And as we are the home team, that means we will have to accept majority of possession?

So we need ball players in defence and midfield who are press resistant and comfortable on the ball and fast pressing ball players up high. Lets stick with the Paris formation of 3412. So team could be

............................DDG
    .......Tuanzebe, Maguire, Lindelof
    WanB...... VdB.............Pogba......Telles
    ..........................Bruno
    ......Martial...................... Rashford

Team relies on VdB and Pogba having discipline to stay back as the other moves forward to join Bruno. Ditto AWB/Telles: when one goes, the other stays back. I was tempted to start with Cavani in place of Rashford, but Im not sure he has match fitness to start against fresh players and better to come off bench fresh against more tired defenders. Which means Telles will have to provide through balls on the floor as Neither Rashford nor Martial are world class at heading.

We can bring on McT or Fred to solidify midfield after 65 mins. And put on Cavani and Greenwood for last 20 to exploit surge of crosses and counters.
    I would personally go 3-4-2-1 and try and impose our game on them. I believe this formation suits not only our CBs but also our midfield whereby we can impose our game whilst still maintaining structure.

I would go..

------------------------De Gea

-------Tuanzebe-Maguire-Lindelof
    AWB---------------------------------Telles
    ----------McTominay------Fred------
    ----------VdB---------------Bruno------
    -----------------Cavani--------------

You can still put Rashford and Martial in there too depending on preference. But that team in theory looks like it would match anyone for work rate and has creativitity too and it would be difficult for Leipzig to play through us.

The above is also something I'm hoping Ole tries in the league which would see us control games. But in a 4-1-4-1 formation.

AWB----Lindelof----Maguire----Telles
    --------------------McTominay-----
    Greenwood---VdB--Bruno---Rashford
    ------------------Cavani/Martial------

Bruno and VdB would have to close the space in midfield off the ball but I believe both players would do that and help plug up the gaps next to the DM. Rashford and Mason would also have to track their runners which would then provide the defensive balance and structure on the turn over. McTominay might not be the answer at DM but I'd try it out to see how he fares.

The above also makes Pogba a viable option in the 2 behind the main forward IMO.

Dudu

Surprised at the amount of people suggesting Bruno will be rested? :houllier:
    Personally think he is almost guaranteed to start. We need a win here and no chance Ole benches him for rest. The best we can hope for is subbing him off early.

He will also start against Arsenal regardless, and then there's a chance (maybe) he gets a rest vs Istanbul for CL matchday 3.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Why would Cavani start when rested Martial is coming back in the team?
    Probably play them both and rest Rashford maybe, we need some rotation as we have Arsenal at the weekend too.

No point having all these players and not trusting them.

Gasolin

Wow I didn’t realize the game was today. I hope our players are physically fit!!! We will need to be focused.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    Really looking forward to this one. These lot are a really classy team and currently joint top of Bundesliga. We will have to play very well to win it like we did in Paris.

Imagine if Ole beats Tuchel and then Nagelsmann in his first 2 CL group games in charge of United. His only previous CL games as manager were the PSG n Barca knockout ties.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    I think a draw would be decent. If we could sneak the win, brilliant. But i would take a draw.

Greck

It's a European game but we're at home and it's a group fixture. Hope we set up positively. Not a fan of setting up like an underdog in every big tie we're involved in going forward

Greck

I think a draw would be decent. If we could sneak the win, brilliant. But i would take a draw.
    we should go for the win. With modest expectations they are our direct rivals to finish 2nd in the group. The home fixture is the opportunity to put them away early so when we eventually drop points somewhere there's already a comfortable margin for error. This isn't the fixture to play for a draw. Win this so there isn't pressure to beat them away.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    Truth is that this game will have a big big impact on the rest of the competition, as if we manage to get the 3 points tomorrow night, we will be at 6, with 6 points to play in two weeks against Istanbul. Let's assume that a draw away and a win a OT will secure, almost, the qualification, with almost nothing to play at Leipzig and against PSG at home, so of course it's massive. In the meantime, with PSG already losing 3 points, I doubt they will loose many points against Leipzig, let alone Istanbul... so big time tomorrow to free the road a bit.

My team will look like the one at PSG, with few changes in this difficult period

----------------------------------------------De Gea--------------------------------------------
    ---------------------Tuanzebe---------Maguire-----------Shaw-----------------------
    AWB--------------------Mc Tominay------------Fred--------------------------Telles
    ------------------------------------------------Bruno--------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------Martial-----------Rashford----------------------------

R77

Similar thoughts here. They're an excellent team, capable of causing us all the problems we struggle with on a whim. We'll go for the win but may come unstuck. Not an issue in the great scheme of things as long as we don't get utterly outclassed. The nature of the performance will be as useful a barometer as the result.

A draw would not be a disater but this place will turn into the ship from Event Horizon for a few days regardless.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    Similar thoughts here. They're an excellent team, capable of causing us all the problems we struggle with on a whim. We'll go for the win but may come unstuck. Not an issue in the great scheme of things as long as we don't get utterly outclassed. The nature of the performance will be as useful a barometer as the result.

A draw would not be a disater but this place will turn into the ship from Event Horizon for a few days regardless.
    Yea get a draw and then beat Istanbul twice and maybe another draw against PSG at home.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Nagelsmann's big job interview it seems.

Giggsy13

If Dan James even makes the bench then Ole can get absolutely fecked. Axel, Telles, Greenwood, Martial, VDB and Matic brought in to freshen things up. Go with 4 at the back and actually show some intent to attack and win.

De Gea

AWB Axel Lindelof Telles

VDB Matic

Greenwood Bruno Rashford

Martial

United to win 2-1

kundalini

Neither Telles nor Wan-Bissaka appear to be in the pre-Leipzig training pics on Getty Images, or in the training video on the official website.

Put another way, I can see the following players:

De Gea, Henderson, Bishop

TFM, Williams, Shaw

Lindelof, Maguire, Tuanzebe, Mengi

Matic, Pogba, McTominay, Fred

Fernandes, van de Beek, Mata, James, Pellistri

Martial, Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood, Ighalo

Last edited:

croadyman

Neither Telles nor Wan-Bissaka appear to be in the pre-Leipzig training pics on Getty Images.

Put another way, I can see the following players:

De Gea, Henderson, Bishop

TFM, Williams, Shaw

Lindelof, Maguire, Tuanzebe, Mengi

Matic, Pogba, McTominay, Fred

Fernandes, van de Beek, Mata, James, Pellistri

Martial, Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood, Ighalo
    Sounds like Telles hasn't recovered from the knock that kept him out on Saturday then

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
    Tomorrow is a massive conflict of interests for most of the Caf. I predict an excruciating evening on the couch for most and that some may not make it. Good luck everyone.

Foxbatt

I can imagine caf if Dan James starts tomorrow. I have a good feeling about tomorrow. I think we will win it. We have much better players than Leipzig. If Nagelsmann does manage to win it won't do any harm to his chances of getting a job in the top clubs in the PL.

Foxbatt

Tomorrow is a massive conflict of interests for most of the Caf. I predict an excruciating evening on the couch for most and that some may not make it. Good luck everyone.
    So long as Ranchero doesn't scream Jaaaaames on the match thread I can bear it even if we lose. But I think we should win it and we will win the game.

croadyman

I can imagine caf if Dan James starts tomorrow. I have a good feeling about tomorrow. I think we will win it. We have much better players than Leipzig. If Nagelsmann does manage to win it won't do any harm to his chances of getting a job in the top clubs in the PL.
    Hopefully he gets to manage Utd one day

Lee565

--------------henderson
    awb-tuanzebe-lindelof-shaw
    --------------------matic
    -------mctominay----fred
    -‐-------------------vdb
    -------greenwood-martial

Withnail

Hendo
    AWB Tuanzabe Maguire Telles
    Matic DVB
    Pogba
    Greenwood Cavani Martial

Bench: De Gea, Shaw, Lindeloff, Bruno, Rashford, Matic, Pellistri

I don't want to see James play again for us until he learns to beat a man or develops his football brain. At this moment, he is not cut out or this squad. I want to see rotation, Donny needs to start and Bruno needs a rest. Cavani needs minutes, Martial can play left forward. I would also like to see Hendo be our champions league keeper, i think De Gea has been great recently but we need to keep Hendo interested.
    Rotate the squad a bit, some players are in need of a start. While others might need a bit of a rest (Maguire, Rashford & Bruno)
    I would go with
    Henderson
    Wan-Bissaka - Tuanzebe - Lindelof - Telles
    Matic - Pogba
    Greenwood - van de Beek - Martial
    Cavani

It would be strong from the start, and good quality on the bench too.
    Looks a good team, seven changes from the last game. Its been over 8 years since we've been able to do such a thing.

I think Henderson might get a game as well.

Say want you like about Ole but this squad is a very very different squad since he came in.
    Henderson
    Bissaka Tuanzebe Maguire Shaw Telles
    VDB Fred
    Bruno
    Mata Martial

Some rotation. Really think VDB Bruno and mata would be great offensively. Telles hitting Maguire on corners. Greenwood for mata, pogba for Telles to 433. And rashy for martial last 10.
    I’d like to see

henderson, telles, Maguire, tuanzebe, Williams

Matic, VDB, pogba,

Martial, greenwood and Cavani.

nice squad rotation and still plenty of quality. This won’t be easy at all, they’re a better team than us but we have the individual quality.
    ---------------------------Henderson---------------
    --------Tuanzebe-----Maguire--------Shaw--------
    AWB-----------Pogba-------------Matic---------Telles----
    -----------------------------VdB------------------------------
    --------Greenwood---------------Martial--------------
    Surely Dean's turn to play.
    Dean
    TFM -- Axel -- Maguire -- Telles
    VDB -- Matic -- Pogba
    Greenwood -- Cavani -- Martial

Rest Bruno and Rashford, and give these guys games to quickly get match sharpness, form and confidence. The more we got, the better it is for PL especially and in the long run.
    I hope we'll see Ole test a diamond 442.
    Henderson; Williams, Lindelöf, Tuanzebe, Telles; McTominay, Fred, Pogba, van de Beek; Greenwood, Martial.

McTominay as the cdm, Fred and Pogba as the pivot and van de Beek as the 10.

Give rest to Wan-Bissaka, Shaw, Maguire, Bruno and Rashford.
    Hendo

Bissaka
    Vic
    Tuanzo
    Telles

McTom
    Stroller
    Donny

Mase
    Martial

Ed

Harry, Rashy and Bruno could do with a break
    --------------henderson
    awb-tuanzebe-lindelof-shaw
    --------------------matic
    -------mctominay----fred
    -‐-------------------vdb
    -------greenwood-martial

What the hell?

Lads, he'll probably play next week but he's not getting a game against Leipzig in the Champions League unless De Gea's leg has fallen off.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
    What is the weather forecast for tomorrow? Saw some training pics and looks like it's raining heavily still

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
    Very unpopular opinion - id bench Bruno & Rashford for this & play Matic, Pogba & VDB with Cavani.

De Gea
    Wan-Bissaka Tuanzebe Maguire Shaw/Telles
    Matic
    Van de Beek Pogba
    Greenwood Cavani Martial

I think this team would really struggle against RBL. They're so mobile and hardworking. That midfield just doesn't have the legs. McT will defo start as he was in the presser, Fred will keep his place too I think. I think he could spring a surprise up top with Cavani starting possibly.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    Why are people even suggesting resting Bruno n Rashford? This is a CL game against a very very good team who are top of the Bundesliga and got to the CL semi finals last season.

Bruno n Rashford have 4 goals each this season. 2 more than next best Juan Mata.

We should be picking our very best team. If we win this game then 2 wins against the unfancied team from Turkey sees us through.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
    Some people like to talk trash about Old Trafford but I love it, and it's still a dream to play at for many people.
    People really do that? I'm sure it will be special for every pro when he goes there for the first time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 81% of 440 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 447 ratings.

Score Predictions