Wed, 28 October 2020 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    Gotta hand it to Ole, going with such an attacking lineup in a CL encounter away from home shows he's sporting a rather large pair of testies. We could just as easily win this 5-0 as we could lose it.

Hold on to your hats, gonna be a bumpy one.
    We are at home !

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
    It wasn’t.

pogba was LAM and Bruno RAM.

Both Fred and mctominay played tightly together as a pair in front of the defence, Fred didn’t push up and leave mctominay as a lone DM

People keep confusing it as a diamond for some reason but it wasn’t played like that. Of course players can roam around and at times make it look like that, but when defending it was always 4222
    No I don’t agree with this, Bruno was pushed up as almost a false 9 at parts and Pogba was the left of midfield and roamed slightly more, Fred was in the right and Mctominay held more.

CG1010

Expecting Greenwood to score today. PL defenders have learnt to not give him an inch of a space to get the shot away but they may not have specifically been trained to double/triple up on him in the box.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Interesting to see Bruno and Rashford rotated out. This is a more important game than the PSG in my opinion, as I expect PSG to still qualify and and of these sides to join them. A loss tonight, and even a draw really, is a big setback to finishing ahead of Leipzig. The PSG result only matters if you go and win your easier home games.

Hope the boys deliver.

Tibs

Matic out, Bruno In, with Fred holding and I'd have cried tears of joy.

Really hope Ole sticks with this formation for a few games to see how it goes

Siorac

Interesting starting XI, I'm really looking forward to see how it works out. In theory it suits all the players on the pitch very well, maybe with the exception of Wan Bissaka.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    I'm looking forward to this match up and it's gonna be interesting to see how both Ole and Nagelsmann approach the game.

It does seem like Nagelsmann prefers a variation of the back 3 formation whether that be 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1. But he's also used a back 4 when he rested Lukas Klostermann against Schalke in a game they won 4-0 and he then proceeded to revert back to a 3 man back line in the very next game against Augsburg where he brought back Klostermann and partnered him with Upamecano and Halstenberg. Klostermann unfortunately suffered a knee injury in the game and will subsequently be out for several months and Nagelsmann has since used a back 4 in his absence but might be tempted to revert back to a 3 man back line against us if he feels the returning Ibrahima Konate is ready to start the game. Konate has been on the bench for the last few games but according to Nagelsmann he didn't feel he was ready to start a game just yet and was waiting for the opportune moment to start him in a game where he felt he could ease him in. But he did play the final 25 minutes against Istanbul in the UCL game on match day 1 so there's a outside chance he might play him from the start.

Leipzig will play as they always plays by building from the back patiently before trying to transition quickly once the ball is out of the first phase of the build up IMO. If he does play Konate and goes with a back 3 then expect one of the 3 CBs to step into midfield which will give them a numerical advantage in midfield and will open up passing lanes and create triangles which we should be mindful of. Off the ball they will apply high pressure and will attempt to cut off passing lanes and will try and shepherd our ball carriers to pass towards a designated wide receiver which will likely be Wan Bissaka, who I believe they will leave unmarked to set him up for the wide pressing trap. Konrad Laimer was normally the player for that job from midfield and he initiated the wide pressing trap in tandem with several other players superbly well. But he's out injured so they'll miss him in that regard. But I hope we don't attempt to play out from the back which right now doesn't suits us.

Another thing that Leipzig are very strong at is having players who can slot into several positions which allows them to change formation in-game which in-turn allows them to maintain structure in defensive or offensive transition.. Players like Tyler Adams who has been deployed at CB and midfield. Klostermann who is a fullback but has been deployed at CB. Angelino (ex City) who has been deployed at fullback/wingback/Left wing. Dani Olmo who has been deployed at wing forward and as a CAM. Forsberg who is a CAM but has also been deployed as a false #9 in a 3-4-3. Amadou Haidara a midfielder who is deployed as a wingback. I can go on but that's something we should be mindful of.

Konrad Laimer looks like he won't be playing so he will be a big miss for them. But Nagelsmann will likely use two of Kevin Kampl, Tyler Adams or Henrichs in a two man midfield who will provide the energy and legs in midfield. But what I'm interested in is will he start both Forsberg and Olmo in tandem. Both players have the guile and ingenuity to unlock defenses and will be dangerous if paired together and will have to be watched closely. Nagelsmann has deployed both players several times in the same line up so if he does play both then I'm expecting a 3-4-2-1 formation or even a 3-4-3 with Forsberg as the false #9 and Olmo as the LWF. Forsberg is also very dangerous on set pieces so we'll have to be mindful of that too but alot depends on if Nagelsmann feels Konate is ready to start. But it's very difficult to second second guess Nagelsmann due to his rotation of players.

For us I hope Ole starts Rashford with Martial because there's gonna be possibilities to get in behind which could cause Leipzig issues if we can advance play to a good level. If Konate doesn't play then I feel there's a possibility we could hurt them from set pieces with Maguire and Cavani potentially getting on the end of good deliveries from Telles or Fernandes. But the key is gonna be to stay disciplined and express ourselves in midfield and match Leipzig's high intensity. If we can manage that then we can win the game because we have quality players too.
    What do you think of RBL team?
    As you predicted, Forsberg and Olmo both starting :nervous: And Kampl and Henrichs

and what about ours?

Berbasbullet

Interesting starting XI, I'm really looking forward to see how it works out. In theory it suits all the players on the pitch very well, maybe with the exception of Wan Bissaka.
    True but 4231 with Mata ahead of him off on the other side of the pitch doesn’t help him either.

Dr. StrangeHate

That RB Leipzig lineup looks like a Wolves level lineup at max. Other than Upamecano, Forsberg and Poulsen (from Fifa) I haven't even heard of any of their players.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
    United
    I hope not, I understand criticising him for a lineup with Dan James but this is a very good midfield and attack.
    I agree it's a very good midfield and attack but the issue is with how dynamic Leipzig are in their pressing. I think Matic is a great player but he has a tendency if he's pressed to move round in a circle which in front of the back 4 is dangerous and Pogba will have to stop fanning around with the ball. For it to work we will need a very quick passing game. Very brave selection from Ole

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    Very rare occurance when more or less everyone on the caf is reasonably pleased with the team and also that we have serious strength on the bench.

Leaving out Rashford n Bruno, our joint top scorers so far, is a big call though. I didn't expect that.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
    Our team is so much superior than RB, but RB Leipzig is much better coached. I expect this game to go like the Brighton game. I expect our individual quality to show through and give us the victory, but RB will look like a much better coached side.

3KDré

That RB Leipzig lineup looks like a Wolves level lineup at max. Other than Upamecano, Forsberg and Poulsen (from Fifa) I haven't even heard of any of their players.
    They're a very well coached team, top of the Bundesliga right now. I think they were only team to stop Bayern scoring last season. I wouldn't write them off so quickly.

Berbasbullet

Our team is so much superior than RB, but RB Leipzig is much better coached. I expect this game to go like the Brighton game. I expect our individual quality to show through and give us the victory, but RB will look like a much better coached side.
    So you think we get a pen after the final whistle?

Walters_19_MuFc

@Adam-Utd @90 + 5min

As you can see from this image, off the ball, we almost set up in a 433 system.

In this image, you can see how high Fred is. This is something he was constantly doing when Ole changed the system.

Those are just a couple of pics, but I have the link if you want to watch it.

Berbasbullet

@Adam-Utd @90 + 5min

In this image, you can see how high Fred is. This is something he was constantly doing when Ole changed the system.

Thank you! Was tempted to do the same and even start a thread on this subject :lol:

Bruno was almost a shadow striker but for arguments sake he was basically the top of the diamond.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
    There some great great players as pundits with BT. Then there is Hargreaves

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    @Adam-Utd @90 + 5min

I watched the game, a few select screenshots won’t change my mind. We shall see how we play tonight but I’m 99% sure it won’t be a pure diamond.

it’s just not a formation that works at the top level.

Sea-Cow

Pleased with this. I am glad that Bruno, Rashford, and McT get to rest a bit. I wish Shaw could get a rest, but oh well, he can rest during the next international break.... (boom roasted)

Also glad to see Donny and Pogba.

Infra-red

So if you had a straight choice which would you go for?
    Given the way we tend to set up and Maguire's shortcomings, I'd rather have Konaté (caveat emptor: Konaté is coming back from a fairly serious muscle/hip flexor injury).

RedCurry

I really like the lineup today. Give both Rashford and Bruno some much needed break. We will play with two forwards and four midfielders. Winning that midfield battle is crucial against a team that hounds you in possession.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 81% of 440 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 447 ratings.

Score Predictions