Kick-off
Sat, 5 January 2019 @ 12:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 55 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

I have no problem with McT starting today if he is going to be kept around in the squad until the end of the season. I would have thought that the club would have allowed him or Pereira (or both, providing we would do something in the January window) to go on loan though.
    But since both are playing today I guess that will not happen.
    A loan would have seemed like the best choice for both players and the club.
    There is not going to be a lot of playing time between them until the end of the season; and that is what they both need.
    McTominay doesn't seem like the sort of player who would benefit from a loan spell imo, as a matter of fact I can see him fading into obscurity outside of this club. I'm hoping he can become useful for us though, perhaps as a utility player of sorts. Pereira should be kept here, he only has Fellaini ahead of him and thank god Ole seems to favour flair over brutishness.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
    Looking forward to seeing how McTominay plays under Solskjaer’s instruction rather than Mourinho’s. He was a striker when he was younger and I think Mourinho was trying to model him in his mould. There were a few glimmers of more expansive play from him at times so I hope he’s let off the leash today.
    He's always been a midfielder. He played striker for the u23s because they didn't have one. He was shit at it and clearly a better midfielder.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
    I have no problem with McT starting today if he is going to be kept around in the squad until the end of the season. I would have thought that the club would have allowed him or Pereira (or both, providing we would do something in the January window) to go on loan though.
    But since both are playing today I guess that will not happen.
    A loan would have seemed like the best choice for both players and the club.
    There is not going to be a lot of playing time between them until the end of the season; and that is what they both need.
    Pereira has 6 months left on his contract a loan would make zero sense. Either he establishes himself as a useful squad memeber or he leaves

Gopher Brown

Pereira has 6 months left on his contract a loan would make zero sense. Either he establishes himself as a useful squad memeber or he leaves
    Andreas shows the negative side of the loan system I think - went away for two years to a foreign league, he hasn’t been around for his chances when they would have occurred, and we have signed other players to fill the gaps. Now 23, I think it’s safe to say he’s not going to ‘make it’ here.

Snafu17

Darmian at CB seems a bit of a risk, against what I assume is a physical team (because you know championship, I have no idea how they actually play), but we won the FA cup final with him playing there, so I guess it'll be alright.

Ace of Spades

That CB partnership :lol: What the hell is that ?? How can we have 5 CBs, and this is what it comes down to :lol: :nervous: :eek:

Gregawa

Anyone else see OGS's pre-match interview just then? The dude is just so honest and excited to be here. Loving it!

Johan07

Agree, but how will he do that without playing time?
    At loan at least he would have the opportunity to prove himself in the eyes of the club or at least he would be given a fair chance to earn himself a new contract with another club if not with us. He would at least get a chance to perform.
    The decision to keep him and McT in the squad this year is one of the stranger decisions that Mourinho made. Especially McT really needs to go on loan and did so already last summer. IMO.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
    We best not take this too lightly...

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
    Agree, but how will he do that without playing time?
    At loan at least he would have the opportunity to prove himself in the eyes of the club or at least he would be given a fair chance to earn himself a new contract with another club if not with us. He would at least get a chance to perform.
    The decision to keep him and McT in the squad this year is one of the stranger decisions that Mourinho made. Especially McT really needs to go on loan and did so already last summer. IMO.
    The club either need to give him game time here or let him leave. Its pretty simple

saivet

I think McTominay is bang average but in this fixture, have no issue with him playing at all. Not like there are many alternatives either. He's had some first team football before, so just give him a go in a game we should win under a new manager.

Ace of Spades

Bailly suspended, Rojo Injured, Smalling Injured.
    Because we don't want to risk Lindelof getting injured, him and Jones are the only fit actual CB's we have, two injured and Bailly suspended.
    I know that, just that it is a terrible partnership. We really need to get some reliable and great CBs, and as back up the likes of Smalling and Lindelof is good. Rojo is literally stealing a living.

Adcuth

I hope McTominay has a good game but not for the same reasons as you. I want him to do well, but not so it "shuts you all up".

I want him to do well as I want to see any player who comes through the ranks do well.
    My reasons for wanting him to do well are exactly the same as you, I think the kid has promise. But proving himself to the negative Nancys in here would be nice also

Kapardin

Not really obsessed about youth like some (No offense if you are), just want to see all players fight for the badge. If youth do come through, I'm happy of course.

So hope for an exciting, attacking game. Alexis and Lukaku need to shake off the rust and use this game to get up to speed in preparation for Spurs.

M Utd

Chong and Garner on the bench. Hopefully they get some minutes.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
    I can't get over how Ole looks like an excited kid:lol: Really enjoying himself.

Come on United.

Kick-off

And our 2018/19 FA Cup campaign is underway. Reading are having a rough season, without a win since 3 November, while we are enjoying a rich vein of form. But in the FA Cup, form can go out the window so we shouldn't be complacent today.

And remember VAR is operation today :nervous:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Also people expecting all the youth to start are ridiculous. These kids have never appeared for the club yet you expect a bunch of them to start?? Having 2 to come in on the bench is still huge. No greenwood is likely because of his knock, he'll get his chances.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
    Good thing I got ESPN+ to watch Ajax matches. The only reason I am able to watch this match in the states.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 382 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Reading win
  • Draw