Sat, 5 January 2019 @ 12:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 55 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
    This one will be fun to predict. I would see Young getting a game. Dalot. Fred should play, he needs games. Fellaini is certain, Sanchez. Chong would be fun.

Adcuth

Just remembered Ole's comments on Darmian being able to play at centre back. Done think he could give him an run out there and rest Lindelof for spurs

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
    Rest? What are you guys talking about?
    Game is tomorrow, 05.01., Spurs are on 13.01. Plenty of rest for everybody.
    Maybe few changes, but not much, It is FACup, one trophy (out of two) we can win this year.

scoi

With such a long break until Spurs i'm not sure wholesale changes are the right move (maybe its the Derby memory):
    - The forwards who finished the Newcastle game to start this one - still a scary front 3 for the opposition.
    - Shaw to be replaced by Young and Dalot/Darmian in for Valencia - arguably an improvement
    - Pogba rested with Mata or Fred starting - Protect Pogba

It would be great to be comfortably up by half time and bring on some youngsters to rest Matic and Herrera.

Bola

I believe the paper which said something like ole tells greenwood to be ready (it was only Click bait and nothing in the article suggested anything like that) was mirror or daily mail and the paper you're reading the story from is mirror. So If you put 2 and 2 together you get these papers are rubbish, you should be smart and not pay attention.
    Ah ok, it wasn't a quote by OGS.

I really want to see Greenwood get a chance though. Aside from the goal stats his performances and skill on show have been something else.

If we are resting Rashford and possibly Martial, there has to be a place at least on the bench

Devil may care

Hope at least one youngster starts.
    Yes, We know Sanchez and Lukaku are starting, there's no reason the 3rd spot in that front 3 can't go to Greenwood, Gomes or Chong, there's no need for Lingard to start this game.

Adcuth

Yes, We know Sanchez and Lukaku are starting, there's no reason the 3rd spot in that front 3 can't go to Greenwood, Gomes or Chong, there's no need for Lingard to start this game.
    Got a feeling it will be Mata

IRELANDUNITED

Wonder if Reading will put up more of a fight this time.

I had a look on their wiki, 2 of my fellow countrymen John o Shea and Paul McShane are their #4 & #5. If those 2 are their 2 best defenders then we really could be in for a treat tomorrow afternoon. Don't get me wrong, Sheasy was a very good player in his day and a brilliant servant to United and Ireland but he is long past his beat. McShane was never any good.

Smores

Wait John O'shea is still playing football? That's amazing sign him up

I had a look on their wiki, 2 of my fellow countrymen John o Shea and Paul McShane are their #4 & #5. If those 2 are their 2 best defenders then we really could be in for a treat tomorrow afternoon. Don't get me wrong, Sheasy was a very good player in his day and a brilliant servant to United and Ireland but he is long past his beat. McShane was never any good.
    Desperate times for Reading then.They were quite a ok outfit under Coppell.

This is my guess at the starting 11 for us.
    Romero

Dalot
    Baily
    Lindelof
    Young

Fred
    Perrera
    Fellaini

Lingard
    Sanchez
    Lukaku

oLeSoLsKjAeR20

Just had a nosey on a Reading forum. They're absolutely dreading this. Most are predicting 5 or 6 nil to us. One even predicted 12-0!! Hope we really go for the jugular. It's a great chance to get a lot of players on the score sheet and to hopefully keep spreading the confidence and good feeling through the squad.

IRELANDUNITED

Desperate times for Reading then.They were quite a ok outfit under Coppell.

This is my guess at the starting 11 for us.
    Romero

Dalot
    Baily
    Lindelof
    Young

Fred
    Perrera
    Fellaini

Lingard
    Sanchez
    Lukaku

Lindelof has played every game so far, I've a feeling he may get a rest. Ole has said Darmien could play centre back so maybe him in there for Lindelof. The rest of your team I agree with

Adcuth

O'shea has started the last 2 next to Thiago Ilori, a former reserve bin dipper

He'lmurderyah15

Romero, Dalot, Lindelöf (Too big a risk to play Jones with his injury record when we've only 2 fit centre halves, even though I'd much prefer to rest Lindelof), Darmian, Young, Fellaini and Fred as 8's, Sanchez as the 10, Front 3 of Lingard (Think he's a cert to start V Spurs, so after playing only a couple of minutes on Wednesday it'll be good to get him an hour here), Lukaku, Greenwood.

On a side note.. Anyone else think that next week would be a much better option for the training week in Dubai? Next Saturday we play Brighton at home and then don't have a game until Burnley at home the following midweek? It gives the coaches a longer period to work with the team in Dubai but more importantly They'l have a chance to rest up for a bit after coming home before playing Burnley at home?

Where as I'd imagine they'll be flying out Sunday, Home maybe Thursday or Friday, Then down to London to play Spurs on Sunday??? I could be reading too much into it but just think the following week makes much more sense.

Lindelof has played every game so far, I've a feeling he may get a rest. Ole has said Darmien could play centre back so maybe him in there for Lindelof. The rest of your team I agree with
    I never know how our defence will look, so just went safe there.
    I expect Greenwood to feature at some point.Maybe alongside Gomes too.

Jam

Really hope to see some of Greenwood/Perreira/Chong/Gomes in some fashion.

It'll aslo be interesting to see Sanchez start a match under Ole. Even though it's only Reading I've love for him to have a cracking performance and kick on. Even if he acts as a flat track bully that'd be a big use to us for the rest of the season.

Adcuth

Be funny if McTomminay starts over Caf favourite Pereira ;)
    I don't actually think Mctomminay is a bad player when played right. I'd happily have him in for Matic with the right players around him. I think Pereira is better suited to come in for Pogba in a more advanced role

Maybe:

Fred - Mctomminay - Pereira
    Lingard - Lukaku - Alexis

peridigm

I see once again ESPN has fecked us for watching football on TV in the US. Only streamed to ESPN+. Guess it's Ace for me. Looks better than TV in most cases anyway.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-utd-squad-revealed-reading-13811651

Not sure how the mirror know the squad, but there is no mention of Greenwood.

I thought OGS said specifically that he would play? I'd be very dispointted if he didn't as there was no mention of him being injured in the press conference
    Can't see why the likes of Pogba and Rashford would even travel. With Martial, Lingard etc on the bench we should have more than enough if we get ourselves in a mess

I don't actually think Mctomminay is a bad player when played right. I'd happily have him in for Matic with the right players around him. I think Pereira is better suited to come in for Pogba in a more advanced role

Maybe:

Fred - Mctomminay - Pereira
    Lingard - Lukaku - Alexis
    I would like some experience in the middle there even if it is against Reading.
    I expect Fred and Fellaini to start.Who plays alongside them between Pereira and McTom is clearly up for debate.

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
    I can't say I follow the U23's a lot. Just wanted to know about Ro-Shaun Williams. He's 20 now, shouldn't he be getting a look against the likes of Reading, or is it a case of a player who might not have enough to make it here? Just curious.

Adcuth

I would like some experience in the middle there even if it is against Reading.
    I expect Fred and Fellaini to start.Who plays alongside them between Pereira and McTom is clearly up for debate.
    Fred and Pereira have both played against better opposition than Reading for previous clubs (Pereira on loan). With the running our front 3 do along with a decent defence behind I think that midfield could have a good game. Not that I think it will ever be considered like.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 382 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Reading win
  • Draw