Manchester United vs Real Madrid (Pre-season Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAsTAb8

Does pre season mean before the season...or preparation season?

I KID. Or do I?...I do. Or...

needtoknowbasis

Were you watching the same match I did? I thought Zaha was awful. Cleverly was average at best. Michael Keane had a nightmare, but I'd not be too harsh on him because he was against one of the 3 best players of the world.
Keane made a mistake and we paid for it, but he still had a good game. Cleverley also played well once he'd settled in the only player who you could possibly say didn't have a very good game was zaha but with time he may improve...maybe.

penalty snot

That's a way of not addressing my points. You just write everyone who doesn't gloat over a preseason win off as negative, claim I jumped to conclusions and then back out of the discussion.
Every game and every chance you have to interact with the mains you take it as a chance to be as contrary as possible, just to stand out or so it seems.

Well you're certainly getting noticed but for all the wrong reasons.

Turn it down a notch.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Every game and every chance you have to interact with the mains you take it as a chance to be as contrary as possible, just to stand out or so it seems.

Turn it down a notch.
My opinion has nothing to do with standing out. You're just regular people and posters yourself, I don't care what your perception is of me and I don't care if I get noticed. I have a point of view and I'll express that in the game chat, that's it. You can disagree with my point of view, but don't try to tell me how to post or read my mind just because you consider yourself to be special for being a full member.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs

Turn it down a notch.
To be fair everybody is entitled to their opinion. If you don't like the opinion then I suggest you either debate it or just ignore it.

Ling

Does anyone know how many United fans where at the game last night? I'm interested to see the rations.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just watch the game and fletcher was fantastic again. It's so pleasing to see him bossing the midfield. It's only pre season but he's been the standout player for me, especially in the last 2 games.

penalty snot

To be fair everybody is entitled to their opinion. If you don't like the opinion then I suggest you either debate it or just ignore it.
His opinion doesn't bother me, and you're commenting on something that's been observed over the last few weeks with little insight on the matter.

If it were just a case of debating an opinion, that's fine. However in this case it seems more provocation than anything else, hence my comment.

penalty snot

My opinion has nothing to do with standing out. You're just regular people and posters yourself, I don't care what your perception is of me and I don't care if I get noticed. I have a point of view and I'll express that in the game chat, that's it. You can disagree with my point of view, but don't try to tell me how to post or read my mind just because you consider yourself to be special for being a full member.
Oh right.

Well thanks for letting me know.

I'll look out for your wisdom in the next game chat.

Jagga7

Fletcher was really good. Especially in the first half but I hope it hasn't made LVG think we're set in midfield now. We still need a top quality cm.

carlosp

Watching the second half now and heard people here say the team were weak the second half.

I disagree. The first twenty minutes Real were on top for sure but from the 70th minute onwards, I think the lads were on top of Real. Even with Blackett and Shaw in defence, Cleverley and Zaha in the midfield, United were on top, had more shots at goal and controlled the game better than Real.

Brightonian

Just watched this. Thoughts on the players:

Starters:

De Gea - Not that much to do, but he dealt with what did come his way very reliably. His typically superb distribution is as important as any defender's in allowing us to play good football out from the back.

Jones - Dominant. All our CBs are looking excellent in this formation, and it particularly stands out how well they complement each other. Jones' tackling and blocking was superb, and he dealt with what little aerial threat Madrid offered comfortably.

Evans - Allowed Jones to do the meat of the defending and instead focussed on reading the game, sometimes stepping out into midfield and sometimes dropping behind his CB partners to clean up loose balls. Looks very experienced, and his passing both long and short is a huge asset.

Keane - Encouraging. So, so comfortable with the ball - that effortless run leaving two defenders in his dust in the second half was a highlight. Very composed under pressure too, allowing him to find the right pass out even with opposition crowding him. The downside for him was that he really struggled with Bale, and there was a naivety about his inability to stop Bale running around the outside of him. Penalty was quite harsh, though - he'll feel hard done by to have given away two on the tour without doing much wrong.

Valencia - Not great. Can't seem to get into good positions or escape his marker, and too rarely attacks his defender. Didn't do much wrong but not much right either. Failed to provide Keane with any real protection from Bale. Says a lot for our quality that he was our weakest performer of the match, though, because he wasn't exactly bad.

Young - I've never been a fan but there's no escaping the fact that he's effective and dangerous at the moment in that position. Still too eager to turn and pass back for me, but his strength at the moment is in his directness and decision-making when we break and he has space to attack with or without the ball. A few beautiful crosses (including the one which scored, confirming it as that perfect delivery which goes in whether it gets a touch or not). Good finish for his first too.

Fletcher - Man of the match by a mile for me. I'm not exaggerating at all when I say he was as good in this match as when he was at his peak for us in 09. Didn't put a foot wrong and looked the best midfielder on the pitch, in a game also featuring Alonso, Herrera, and Luka Modric! Can't go into specifics because he got everything right. Complete midfield performance, and the best individual showing of the tour so far for me (given that Herrera's similarly dominant stint vs Galaxy benefited from the much weaker opposition).

Herrera - Good. He's definitely not a cliche 'keep the ball at all costs' Spanish midfielder, because he does misplace a pass now and then, but his eye for an attacking pass and his willingness to take risks with the ball make our midfield so much more dynamic. Complements the solidity of Fletcher beautifully, and if they keep this up Carrick might not get his starting place back when he recovers.

Mata - Lovely as always. First name on the team sheet. Couple of really nice turns and shimmies to escape attention and get into dangerous areas.

Rooney - Excellent in the buildup, and involved in all our best passing moves. Particularly good contribution to the first goal. Important that he jumps for the second too, even though he can't reach it, because otherwise Casillas can easily step out and claim Young's cross-shot.

Welbeck - So important to the way we play. Lost count of how many times he won the ball back off the sluggish Madrid CBs and CMs. Makes the spaces for Rooney and Mata and is always at the heart of those lovely one-touch passing moves. So much flair. He'll keep RVP very on his toes this season.

Subs:

Zaha - Lots of endeavour and a few moments which highlighted the threat offered by his directness and insane pace. Struggled to get properly into the game until late on though, and couldn't really make the most of his chances. Decision-making needs to be much sharper.

Blackett - Perhaps not quite as many noticeable positives as Keane, but didn't have the same problems with Bale. Basically an irreproachable half of football. Stood up to the period from 45-75 minutes when Madrid were on top and wasn't found wanting.

Shaw - Excellent. Defensively rock solid at first, when Madrid were on top - in contrast to Keane in the first half, he kept Bale almost totally out of the game. Bailed out the CBs a couple of times too. Then when we got back on top around 70/75 minutes, he got to show off his powerful, direct running and not-much-talked-about vision, which helped him put in two or three excellent deliveries including a lofted cut-back which particularly stood out, when most wingers/wingbacks would just have whipped a ball hopefully into the pack of strikers/defenders.

Cleverley - Two noticeably mistakes will inevitably be all that some see from this performance, but other than that he was good. Kept the ball moving well, energetic defensively, and was probably the reason we eventually wrested control of the second half back from Madrid, because he spotted that Isco was the troublemaker and stuck to him like glue, easing him out of the game. Respectable back-up to Herrera at the moment.

Lingard - Impressive. I'm not sure wing-back is his position but at the moment it's the only place he's likely to get game time and he assumed the unfamiliar role manfully. Surprisingly solid in defence, and as mature and clever in attack as ever. He passes like a much older player. Such good pass completion in advanced areas. Wicked cross almost turned in by Hernandez showed off his vision.

Kagawa - Good. Similar to Lingard, who he linked up very well with. Provided two of the three chances that it took for Hernandez to score (that lovely turn and disguised chip stood out), and the one that finally did it was a pinpoint cross, unmissable. We'd be mad to sell him, even if there's no room for him in the starting XI.

Hernandez - Undoubtedly not as sharp as he has been in the past. Needed three good chances before he turned one in, and that one was unmissable thanks to Kagawa. However despite his slight frame he's trained himself to be an excellent target for long passes, shielding and holding up the ball well and unlucky not to have got an assist or two from some clever efforts to put an overlapping Kagawa through.

Overall:

It was very obvious that we're a week's training ahead of them, particularly in the first half. We were faster, fitter and sharper, and they couldn't cope with it. That said, our quality was as much on show as our preparation. These players have always been gifted passers, but what's changed is the movement, which was fantastic, and let them really show off their one-touch penetrative football.

Apart maybe from a fairly stolid Valencia and Keane struggling understandably with a dangerous-looking Bale, there wasn't a fault in the first half performance. And though Madrid were on the front foot for the first 20/25 mins of the second, we defended well, kept them out, got ourselves back in control and could have had more than just the one in the last 20 minutes.

The kids all looked impressive. I'd like to see Lingard get a start against Valencia instead of Tony V. Although it's looking increasingly obvious that our starting wing-backs for the season proper should be Shaw on the left and Young on the right.

Fletcher... :drool:

Last edited:

Acole9

Outstanding
I really enjoyed the game and it was the best of the tour so far without a doubt. The lads have really adapted well to the new system and there seems to be a real unity amongst them which appeared to be missing last season.

redevil2

Thought this is the right thread to post this? Giggs was a better player at Bale's age for sure.

Manchester United
21 mins ·
Ryan Giggs and Gareth Bale – Welsh wingers past and present – caught up in Michigan as United took on Real Madrid at Ann Arbor. Bale scored for Madrid but United won 3-1.

LikeLike · · Share · 29,467797384

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Just watched the highlights, and now i can't wait to see what we do in the league, the way we're playing is so much nicer to watch, our style has progressed like 15 years in the last few matches. I'm not always a fan of tika-taka, when people are passing for the sake of passing when they're in a nice position it's infuriating to watch imo, but here we're creating some incredible pieces of play, some of Rooney's little passes are reminding me of Yorke and Cole.

Also, Kagawa'a ball for Hernandez' goal was just superb. I really hope that we find a way to get him into the team. But the penalty we conceded was just daft.

Last edited:

ants7

it was great to see us playing against Real like that. I couldn't believe that's the same team I watched last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.