Manchester United vs Real Madrid (Pre-season Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
That is really, really stupid. You should be hoping for them to do well, to prove they are good enough to those who doubted them.
Nonsense. They simply aren't good enough, the sooner people accept that, the better. If they become amazing and prove me wrong, great, but we both know they won't. Give the self-righteous BS a rest.

Fletcher in defence with Keane there too is really asking for it... against the likes of Bale.

hubbuh

You could stick Fletch pretty much anywhere on the pitch and he'd do half a job at least.

Top player.

Dazzmondo

Nonsense. They simply aren't good enough, the sooner people accept that, the better. If they become amazing and prove me wrong, great, but we both know they won't. Give the self-righteous BS a rest.

Fletcher in defence with Keane there too is really asking for it... against the likes of Bale.
Fletcher has been great in the pre-season so I don't see why you're trying to say he isn't good enough. At worst, he's a good backup option. Cleverley seems to be showing some signs of improvement too. I'd certainly rather the players we have do well than to have to spend large amounts of money to bring someone else in. You should be hoping that the club succeeds and that any player that's a part of the club succeeds. Whether you believe they will or not is a different story, but wishing for them to do badly is ridiculous.

Alos, why do you think we'll be playing with Fletcher in defence today?

EDIT: Never mind, just checked the last page. I'll still be quite surprised to see Fletcher play there. I'm sticking with this team: De Gea, Keane, Jones, Evans, Valencia, Fletcher, Herrera, Young, Rooney, Welbeck

Last edited:

khoazany

Won't surprise me if LVG see Fletcher as the 5th/6th choice CB.Not that I believe it's a good thing.

Dazzmondo

From what I understand it is not broadcast anywhere in the UK (including MUTV) and Sky Sports also have Liverpool match tonight.

I could be wrong, it seems quite illogical not to broadcast Man United vs Real Madrid to British viewers since the game actually is live before people go to sleep.
I have MUTV and it's scheduled to show on that.

UnsungHero

Fletcher has been great in the pre-season so I don't see why you're trying to say he isn't good enough. At worst, he's a good backup option. Cleverley seems to be showing some signs of improvement too. I'd certainly rather the players we have do well than to have to spend large amounts of money to bring someone else in. You should be hoping that the club succeeds and that any player that's a part of the club succeeds. Whether you believe they will or not is a different story, but wishing for them to do badly is ridiculous.

Alos, why do you think we'll be playing with Fletcher in defence today?
I never said he's rubbish or even bad, just that he's not good enough (and still has health issues) that mean he's only good as a backup/rotation option.

Cleverley I'm not a fan of though, he's a smug coward and I simply don't like him.

Please don't be fooled by a few lacklustre pre-season games. You know how this will go.

Dazzmondo

I never said he's rubbish or even bad, just that he's not good enough (and still has health issues) that mean he's only good as a backup/rotation option.

Cleverley I'm not a fan of though, he's a smug coward and I simply don't like him.

Please don't be fooled by a few lacklustre pre-season games. You know how this will go.
Tbh, I think we'll win today. It will be interesting, but I'm predicting 2-0 to us. Bale could of course score some incredible goal from distance, but I think the defensive display tonight will be formidable. We'll also be playing a stronger team than our previous games as Van Gaal has confirmed the first XI will play for around 60 mins.

Trizy

1-0 Inter, Vidic is still looking out for us. At least now if we have a result that favors us (Inter win or draw) we can play big players less against Madrid.

UnsungHero

Tbh, I think we'll win today. It will be interesting, but I'm predicting 2-0 to us. Bale could of course score some incredible goal from distance, but I think the defensive display tonight will be formidable. We'll also be playing a stronger team than our previous games as Van Gaal has confirmed the first XI will play for around 60 mins.
Let's hope so. RM don't have a proper striker playing do they? So that will help.

Maybe Fletcher will make a cracking defender, but I'm not sure he's got the stature for it.

SATA

Just proves we need at least one defender coming in if we keep having to use midfielders in defence. Bizzare to say this as a club of our status. I have confidence that LVG will sort this out though, just hope it's not fecking Vermaelen

Dazzmondo

Let's hope so. RM don't have a proper striker playing do they? So that will help.

Maybe Fletcher will make a cracking defender, but I'm not sure he's got the stature for it.
No, Bale and Isco up front.

LARulz

Is Powell with the squad yet? If so what are his chances of playing?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Just proves we need at least one defender coming in if we keep having to use midfielders in defence. Bizzare to say this as a club of our status. I have confidence that LVG will sort this out though, just hope it's not fecking Vermaelen
Looking like it will be

Dazzmondo

Okay, Sky Sports saying Jones picked up a minor injury, so that's the reason for Fletcher playing cb. A bit worried as nobody else (other than Carrick) can play Fletcher's role in the team right now. I assume it will be Cleverley and Herrera in midfield.

SolidState

You don't even know how ITK he is
An Inter win isn't better than a Roma win, and neither is better for us than a draw after 90 minutes!
Why? Isn't it 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw? 1 for a win on pens, Inter word be on 5 points after this and we'd be on 6 even if we lost to Madrid.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Why? Isn't it 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw? 1 for a win on pens, Inter word be on 5 points after this and we'd be on 6 even if we lost to Madrid.
Aren't Inter on three points? So they'd be on six, meaning we'd need at least a draw with Madrid.

SolidState

Aren't Inter on three points? So they'd be on six, meaning we'd need at least a draw with Madrid.
Right you are. They just explained it on the inter game. We need a draw or better to reach the final. Anyone know how the other group is shaping up?

hundred_trillion

It's 3 for a normal time win, 2 for a penalty win, 1 for a penalty loss and 0 for a normal time loss.

We are on 5 pts, Roma and Inter are on 3, Real are on 1.

If someone wins outright, we would need to at least draw with Real to get to the final. From there it's head-to-head, I think.

kdmaka

Okay, Sky Sports saying Jones picked up a minor injury, so that's the reason for Fletcher playing cb. A bit worried as nobody else (other than Carrick) can play Fletcher's role in the team right now. I assume it will be Cleverley and Herrera in midfield.
Season hasn't even started yet and our CBs are dropping like flies

KiD MoYeS

It's 3 for a normal time win, 2 for a penalty win, 1 for a penalty loss and 0 for a normal time loss.

We are on 5 pts, Roma and Inter are on 3, Real are on 1.

If someone wins outright, we would need to at least draw with Real to get to the final. From there it's head-to-head, I think.
If Inter and Roma draw we're in the final regardless of our Madrid game. Inter are currently winning so we'll need at least a draw.

hundred_trillion

So Real are playing three at the back...

Any chance of a worldwide trend towards 3-5-2, what with the the lack of top class CBs and the preference of just about every footballer to play through the middle?

SolidState

If Inter and Roma draw we're in the final regardless of our Madrid game. Inter are currently winning so we'll need at least a draw.
Roma look really really weak up top and Vidic has the back door shut tight for Inter who have looked solid in all games. I think Inter will win this.

KiD MoYeS

Any chance of a worldwide trend towards 3-5-2, what with the the lack of top class CBs and the preference of just about every footballer to play through the middle?
Where is Bale playing in the 3-5-2? I can't see Madrid maintaining that shape when Ronaldo returns.

SolidState

You know your a united fan used to winning when we're desperately figuring out our path to the final of a pre season friendly tournament.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Can't see Real playing it on a regular basis - just against us. Inter seem to be making a permanent switch to 3-5-2 though, and aren't Juventus moving away from 3-5-2?

Status
Not open for further replies.