Manchester United vs Sevilla | CL R16 Build-up Thread (Return Leg 13 March)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is possibly the most surreal debate ever on the Caf. One man's titanic struggle with basic maths.

A draw is better than a win. I heard it all now.
Hopefully away goal counts as 2 won't be started again.

Redlyn

This is possibly the most surreal debate ever on the Caf. One man's titanic struggle with basic maths.

He is on an attention seeking wind-up.

IbraPogDABra

I'd rather draw 2-2 in Spain than win 0-1
I'm not a big poster (more of a lurker) but this has got me so confused. If we drew 2-2 away, we would need to either win the home tie, get a 0-0 or 1-1 to go through. If we win the away tie 0-1, all we need to do is not lose. It wouldn't matter if the game ended 0-0 or 8-8. Why would you want a draw?

Cal?

CR7 fan

I can’t decide if he’s on a windup or actually just not good at maths...

Brightonian

I think this should be the lineup:

-----------Martial----------
Sanchez------------Lingard
----Pogba----Herrera------
-----------Matic------------
Shaw---Rojo--Jones--Valencia
-----------De Gea--------------

-I think the back 7 basically picks itself (Shaw over Young since I'm benching the aerial threat in Lukaku for Young's crosses anyways). --Rojo is in good form and can pass so he gets one spot, less sure about the other one.
-Lingard makes sense to play away and Pogba and Matic need Herrera (or theoretically Fellaini) in the middle to help them
-Martial has been more dangerous than Lukaku generally and is the better counterattacking player (Lukaku is good at it but Martial is better). Normally you'd consider playing the big hold up striker to ensure we don't get overrun and can counter off of punts and clearances but Lukaku struggles at that stuff and Martial would just be a constant threat to dribble past their CBs if he can isolate one. Also if Sanchez is always coming inside from LW it might open up that space for Martial to go into that vacated space, and that's where he's most dangerous.
-But Martial has been lazy defensively lately and Sanchez busts his ass and is experienced so Martial is up top and Sanchez out wide.
-Mata makes no sense away or in really in a 4-3-3 under Mourinho
This IF Mourinho is going to wear his big boy pants and actually try and dominate this game, rather than treating Sevilla like they're Barca and sitting back and inviting pressure until we forget how to play football (see most of our games against the top six this season).

Martial needs lots of ball, especially if he's playing CF instead of out in the open spaces on the wing. Herrera is an asset if we're trying to keep the ball, use it fast, and win it back fast when we lose it.

Honestly if Mourinho does treat this the way he seems to treat most big games I don't see us winning. But arguably we'd at least have a better chance with that approach starting Lukaku, who can score goals from minimal service and has the strength to hold up the ball while the rest of our players tentatively experiment with leaving their own half. And Herrera won't do his unfairly battered reputation any good playing in a bus-parking exercise - he's a good defensive player in a high-intensity team pressing game, not a siege. He uses up too much energy and throws himself into the tackle too much for a calculated shutting up shop sort of game plan.

We're so much better than they are. Please god let Mourinho see that and plan accordingly.

Red Star One

I think this should be the lineup:

-----------Martial----------
Sanchez------------Lingard
----Pogba----Herrera------
-----------Matic------------
Shaw---Rojo--Jones--Valencia
-----------De Gea--------------

-I think the back 7 basically picks itself (Shaw over Young since I'm benching the aerial threat in Lukaku for Young's crosses anyways). --Rojo is in good form and can pass so he gets one spot, less sure about the other one.
-Lingard makes sense to play away and Pogba and Matic need Herrera (or theoretically Fellaini) in the middle to help them
-Martial has been more dangerous than Lukaku generally and is the better counterattacking player (Lukaku is good at it but Martial is better). Normally you'd consider playing the big hold up striker to ensure we don't get overrun and can counter off of punts and clearances but Lukaku struggles at that stuff and Martial would just be a constant threat to dribble past their CBs if he can isolate one. Also if Sanchez is always coming inside from LW it might open up that space for Martial to go into that vacated space, and that's where he's most dangerous.
-But Martial has been lazy defensively lately and Sanchez busts his ass and is experienced so Martial is up top and Sanchez out wide.
-Mata makes no sense away or in really in a 4-3-3 under Mourinho
I think there's no way Jose benches Lukaku and goes for Martial as a striker. Good team though, would love to see it.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
One of those very few games where Mourinho could go 3-4-1-2 without the adversary playing 3 at the back too.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Sevilla really aren’t that good but there’s a crazy difference between them at home and away. We should be putting three or four past them at OT.

A draw is a pretty good result but hopefully we can get the away goal. Anything can happen in the second leg – A ropey deflected goal, a red card and we’re suddenly screwed – We’ve seen it before. It’s a big game but they’re not quite a big team, they’ve dropped off again this season and we really should be beating them. We were very good in these types of a fixtures last season in the Europa and that should be a good experience – Especially when it came to taking the crowd out of it early on.

It would be nice if we don’t concede after 10 seconds and then play like AIDS. Really nice.

sully1

really need Baily fully match fit for this tie.

Hes our only defender thats played in Spain so knows the oppositions threats.

svastian99

they have been playing 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 (double pivot) , our midfield is the key. I pray to God that we do not play 4-2-3-1.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"

I am sure one of, or both Jones and Smalling have played in Spain previously.

Nickosaur

I agree we want Bailly back as soon as possible, but this is nonsense.

Craig Bellendy

I'd rather draw

I'm not a big poster (more of a lurker) but this has got me so confused. If we drew 2-2 away, we would need to either win the home tie, get a 0-0 or 1-1 to go through. If we win the away tie 0-1, all we need to do is not lose. It wouldn't matter if the game ended 0-0 or 8-8. Why would you want a draw?
It must be a troll account, there is no other explanation for this kind of stupidity

Last edited by a moderator:

sully1

I am sure one of, or both Jones and Smalling have played in Spain previously.
Jones played RB against Madrid last 16 at Bernabu in Fergies last season 1-1 the score was i think, Welbeck and Ronaldo scored.

But the point of my comment was Baily has played in Spanish league for a few seasons so is familiar with the opposition.

sully1

I agree we want Bailly back as soon as possible, but this is nonsense.
What the hell

So 'premier league experience' is a real thing but playing in the Spanish league for 3 seasons holds no credibility to you ? Of corse Bailly is going to know the Sevilla team better then the rest of our defenders.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'd rather lose 4-3 in Spain than win 1-0.

Nickosaur

What the hell

So 'premier league experience' is a real thing but playing in the Spanish league for 3 seasons holds no credibility to you ? Of corse Bailly is going to know the Sevilla team better then the rest of our defenders.
Playing time in La Liga is irrelevant, this isn't a league game this is a cup tie. Besides, Bailly hasn't played against Sevilla in 2 years. Since then, they've had three different managers and two thirds of their squad have moved on. What will he know about Sevilla that our coaching staff and scouts won't?

NoPace

I think there's no way Jose benches Lukaku and goes for Martial as a striker. Good team though, would love to see it.
You might be right, but throwing your most dangerous attacker up top in the CL because you want him free and don't trust him defensively worked pretty well with Cristiano for us and the idea makes sense from a cautious point of view as we except from Mourinho (and basically any manager in the CL away apart from Guardiola and Sarri).

Inter Yer Nan

Any news on when Bailly is expected to be back? Got a horrible gut feeling we are liable to get exposed in a big European game without him.

Sevilla aren't at their usual level and have been getting a few beatings by mid level teams this season. I am not too worried about them but don't want to be too confident. They are still a strong side at home.

I'd really like to see us adopt a three man midfield in Europe of Matic, Pogba and Herrera. Sanchez and Lukaku are guaranteed starters so the last spot would be between Martial, Lingard or Mata. It's probably better to have a set 11 for Europe at this point.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Not sure what to make of this lot. Got hammered in their last game and drew the two before that. But before that they beat Atletico home and away.

Negative goal difference in the league is promising though.

PoTMS

Not sure what to make of this lot. Got hammered in their last game and drew the two before that. But before that they beat Atletico home and away.

Negative goal difference in the league is promising though.
Atletico are inconsistent as feck though so wouldn’t put much basis on those results. Truth is Sevilla are shite and if we can’t beat them (the weakest side left in the UCL) over two legs, serious questions need answering.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Away goals count as double though.

So a 2-2 is actually 4-2 in our favor.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Atletico are inconsistent as feck though so wouldn’t put much basis on those results. Truth is Sevilla are shite and if we can’t beat them (the weakest side left in the UCL) over two legs, serious questions need answering.
Give me some of what you are smoking!

Rajma

Away goals do not count as double.
What is it with people who can't even get the basics right, as far as I remember CL always had this rule where an away goal stands for two, that's why it is so crucial to score away from home.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
1) Aggregate score decides the winner
2) If the aggregate score is a draw the team with more away goals wins
3) If both teams have the same amount of away goals given an aggregate draw, the game goes into extra time

Repeat the above for extra time which goes into penalties as the final step.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
They sure don't look half the team they were when managed by Sampaoli.

PoTMS

Give me some of what you are smoking!
Who is worse? Basel and Porto are both better than Sevilla. Who else gets regularly smashed 5-0 and the like by midtable teams like Spartak Moscow?

Rajma

1) Aggregate score decides the winner
2) If the aggregate score is a draw the team with more away goals wins
3) If both teams have the same amount of away goals given an aggregate draw, the game goes into extra time

Repeat the above for extra time which goes into penalties as the final step.
It's even detailed in the regalement team who scores more away goals wins, why is it such a difficult concept to grasp for people. @Class of 63 absolutely spot on here.