Kick-off
Wed, 24 June 2020 @ 6:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Betson

No excuses , has to be 3 pts tomorrow if we are serious about top 4.

Start your strongest team and hit hard early , don't let them settle and get a bit of confidence that they can get get something out of this.

Need to start converting possession into more chances and more goals , we often have loads of possession but little threat.

Mr Smith

Got a feeling Ole is going to change it up tomorrow night and go with an attacking variant of 3-5-2.

Something like this:

DDG

Lindelof Maguire Bailly

AWB-------------------------------------Shaw

Pogba Mctom Bruno

Rashford Martial

There is so much ability in that team that If it clicks, it could prove to be the catalyst for a storming end to the season.
    He tried that in the last game against Sheffield and we were awful, only improved when we moved to a back 4. No way he does that again (I devoutly hope).

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
    What does Greenwood have to do to deserve a start? I know he’s young but the whole point is that if you’re good enough you’re old enough. He’s a class act and he showed that off the bench against Spurs, I think he deserves a chance against Sheffield.
    I assume you were saying the same thing when Fergie was holding back Giggs when he was that age?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    Only real question mark for the lineup is who will be in midfield with Bruno and Pogba. Everything else should be straightforward, though hope Martial and Rashford do better.
    We all knew in our last match that Pogba and Fernandes should start.
    The problem is that Ole prefers to not play Pogba for some reason. Instead he favours Scott McT.
    Given the above, I would not assume that Pogba and Fernandes will both start.

Ole's in game management is absolutely terrible, btw. In our last match, the fans all knew that he needed to make a change at half time and bring on Pogba.
    And don't even get me started on Dan James, who is a Championship player.

Someone please explain this: Pogba on the bench, Scott McT and Dan James on the pitch. What am I missing?

MikeKing

Supports
    Bournemouth
    The problem is that Ole prefers to not play Pogba for some reason. Instead he favours Scott McT.

Ole's in game management is absolutely terrible, btw. In our last match, the fans all knew that he needed to make a change at half time and bring on Pogba.

Someone please explain this: Pogba on the bench, Scott McT and Dan James on the pitch. What am I missing?
    Pogba has been deployed by Ole every game since he took over as manager. How can you not know that? Just because Pogba has been out injured all of a sudden Ole doesn't rate him and prefer McTominay and Dan James. Spouting insane nonsense here mate.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
    Pogba has been deployed by Ole every game since he took over as manager. How can you not know that? Just because Pogba has been out injured all of a sudden Ole doesn't rate him and prefer McTominay and Dan James. Spouting insane nonsense here mate.
    They are stuck on a narrative they cant get out of.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

You're missing that Pogba was injured since September basically. Of course Ole thinks he's one of the best in the world, its purely a fitness thing.

Bondi77

We have to go for the jugular on this one. All out attack as they will be sitting back as they are missing a few key players and will try to defend as a unit. I fully expect midfield rotation so:

------------------------------De Gea (last chance)------------
    AWB------------Bailey-----------------Maguire---------Shaw
    ----------------------------------Matic--------------------------------
    ------------------Fernandes--------Pogba-------------------
    Greenwood--------------Martial------------------Rashford

Our game after this is the FA Cup where I fully expect Romero to get the nod. If De Gea has another brain fart and Romero has a good game then Ole is going to have a big decision to make...
    It does not matter how well Romero plays Ole is not going to drop big Dave in the League games.
    He has stated on numerous occasions that he thinks big Dave is the best in the world so he would look pretty stupid if he dropped the best goalie in the world.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
    It does not matter how well Romero plays Ole is not going to drop big Dave in the League games.
    He has stated on numerous occasions that he thinks big Dave is the best in the world so he would look pretty stupid if he dropped the best goalie in the world.
    He has said that several times, but does he actually think that? It would be silly to believe that he is always talking truthful to the media. For the most part, he's just saying the right thing...

Teja

If there's any game that's calling out for Bruno and Pogba to work some magic it's this one. There's no need to be overcautious and play two defensive minded players, SHU are shit at attacking, let's just throw Matic, Pogba and Bruno on and just go at them.

2-0 Utd.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
    A last minute 'illness' or 'injury' would allow him to play Romero.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Pogba barely played in 10 months, coming off the bench for the first game was probably safer.

He'll start the upcoming games for sure if he's available.

Bondi77

He has said that several times, but does he actually think that? It would be silly to believe that he is always talking truthful to the media. For the most part, he's just saying the right thing...
    Do you watch the pressers?
    Looks to me like he believes what he is saying.

roseguy64

We can play Matic next to Pogba. I know a lot of people want it, and to be fair he's been decent as of late, but we mobility. Pogba will still roam and the player next to him will need to be mobile enough to cover.
    This is exactly why I'm hesitant about Matic starting. If he was playing alongside Fred or McTominay I'd be fine with him playing.

roseguy64

Think I'd rotate a bit in this. Think we've potentially 16 games in 2 months and you'd worry about muscle injuries playing at such an intensity after the long break

Some of the players looked spent at Spurs in the last 5. Wan Bissaka in particular I thought

---------------------DDG-------------------------
    Dalot----Bailly--Maguire---Williams
    ---------------------Matic-----------------------
    ------------Bruno---------Pogba------------
    Greenwood-----Ighalo------Martial

subs

Hopefully get comfy and Rashford, Mata, Periera, Axel and Fred to come on
    We're going to rotate in the FA Cup. It's the third most important competition we're in currently.

Red Company

Supports
    The Peaky Blinders
    This is exactly why I'm hesitant about Matic starting. If he was playing alongside Fred or McTominay I'd be fine with him playing.
    I agree.

Many posters want Matic to start but if Pogba and Bruno are playing together, we need McT.

I’d also like to see Bailly, Williams & Greenwood start.

dal

No need to rest anyone at all.
    It’s been 5 days.

start with the best lineup and sub when possible.

———————ddg——————-
    Awb—-bailly—Maguire-shaw
    ———-matic——-pogba———-
    ———————Bruno——————
    Greenwood—————rashford
    ——————-ighalo——————-

Gasolin

Injured and trying to be match fit, he thought Greenwood accuracy in front of the goals would help at the end, same thing for Pogba, he thought his creativity would be more impactful when Spurs were more tired.

We played a bet and it did not pay filly but Greenwood could have scored when he had the chance, so it's a game of details sometimes. I don't think Ole is that bad tactically as some here think, on the contrary, he has very refreshing ideas. Very intense type of football basically, but what can we do if we go into shape to be ready to break 5, 6 opposition players' lines and we freak out and pass sideways? At some point, players have to go for it. I am sure Ole will make sure the point is listened.

AmanNits04

No excuses , has to be 3 pts tomorrow if we are serious about top 4.

Start your strongest team and hit hard early , don't let them settle and get a bit of confidence that they can get get something out of this.

Need to start converting possession into more chances and more goals , we often have loads of possession but little threat.
    Exactly this, we give way too much time to the opposition to settle. Start fast and keep attacking, they are bound to crack at some point of time.

I swear if we don't get 3 points from this, I am going to lose my mind

simmee

Already nervous, feels like before a champions league final. Possibility to gain ground on Leicester, put pressure on Chelsea and build momentum for the run-in. Will probably feel like this before every game we have left I guess...

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
    DDG

AWB Bailly Maguire Shaw
    Matic
    Bruno Pogba
    Greenwood Martial Rashford
    All our remaining matches are cup finals, but this one seems vitally important in setting the tone for the rest of the season. We need to win and win well. Play our strongest eleven and go at them from the start.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Paul Pogba has not played football since September 2019. Get out of here with the "should have started Pogba" schtick. He has missed 36 games this season.

He is by far the least match fit player in this squad.

How many times has Ole picked McTominay over Pogba when they've been fully match fit? Yes. Zero.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
    I want this to be a statement game. 5-0 battering.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
    It's going to be 30 degrees at kick off time. I wouldn't expect a high tempo game. I think it'll be slow and lethargic. Could really do with an early goal and then keep the ball and run them around

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
    The team i'd go for is:

De Gea
    AWB -Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw
    Matic
    Bruno Pogba
    Greenwood - Martial - Rashford

Walters_19_MuFc

Not 5 defenders again for christs sake, not at home against Shefield
    Whilst I probably wouldn't go with that formation, 352 is not a defensive formation. It depends how you approach the game with it. Guess the same can said for every other formation really.

If we were to play that, we'd hardly have 5 at the back, as our wing backs will be pushed on high, as would our two strikers and two centre midfielders, thus effectively having 6 players attack, in comparison to the 5 when we play a 4231.

As I said, not sure Ole will go with it, but its hardly a defensive formation.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Hyperbole much?

Pogba in the main has been on the treatment table for most of the season. I'm sure all fans want to see him get a full 90 mins every game but if he gets injured the first thing Ole will get crucified for us rushing him back when he clearly wasn't ready. I think SkySports ran it last week, Ole cannot win with the Pogba situation.

kirk buttercup

Is Mata fit ? If so I wouldn't be surprised if he started . Him and Bruno link up well defensively it might be under pressure if Pogba starts too.

I could see us starting with
    ------------DeGea ------
    AWB -- Lindelof --- Maguire ----Shaw
    --------------Matic ----------
    ---Bruno --------------Pogba----
    Mata------ Martial ------Rashford ----

I would like us to start

-------------DeGea ---------
    AWB ------Bailly -----Maguire---- Williams
    -------------------Matic----------
    ----Bruno-------------------Pogba-----
    Greenwood--- Martial -----Rashford ---

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
    4-3-3

Romero
    Wan-Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Williams
    Matic
    Fernandes Pogba
    Greenwood Martial Rashford
    De Gea has cost us so many points this season and we desperately need a win here. With DDG all they need is one shot on target to score so we need Romero here. Lindelof over Bailly as technique over pace with Sharpe having no pace himself and Lindelof being a calmer passer than Bailly. Williams over Shaw as playing with 2 defensive fullbacks at home to Sheffield in a must win game is counterproductive. Matic and Pogba over Fred and Scott as we need the creativity of Pogba and Fernandes with the stability of Matic behind them. Greenwood over James is self explanatory as Sheffield will sit deep so James will be ineffective without space to counter.

Attack from the off. Swarm their goal with the 3 forwards, Pogba, Fernandes & Williams all getting forward. 3-0.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 92% of 359 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 371 ratings.