Kick-off
Sun, 26 February 2017 @ 4:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    VS..

Date - Sunday, February 26 2017
    Kickoff Time - 1630 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Wembley Stadium, London

EFL Cup form guide

Manchester United: WWWWL

Southampton: WWWWW

Previous Meetings in the League Cup

Manchester United 3-2 Southampton

Southampton 1-1 Manchester United

Southampton 4-1 Manchester United

Manchester United 0-0 Southampton

Manchester United 2-0 Southampton

All-Time League Cup Record

Manchester United wins - 2
    Southampton wins - 1
    Draws - 2

League Cup Titles

Manchester United: ★★★★
    Southampton:

Pre-Match Pressers

José Mourinho

Claude Puel

Team News

Manchester United

Joel Pereira and Henrikh Mkhitaryan ruled out. Michael Carrick and Wayne Rooney fit and available. Phil Jones doubtful.

Southampton

Charlie Austin, Virgil Van Djik, Matt Targett, Alex McCarthy and Jérémy Pied ruled out. Martín Cáceres, Jake Hesketh, Sofiane Boufal and Mouez Hassen doubtful.

Know the opposition

Southampton Football Club, nicknamed The Saints, are a professional football club based in Southampton, Hampshire, England - and were founded in 1885 by members of St Mary's Church of England Young Men's Association. Southampton play their home games at St. Mary's Stadium, and were one of the founding members of the Premier League in 1992. The club has a long-standing sporting rivalry with Portsmouth in a match termed the South Coast Derby or the Hampshire Derby. In recent years, Southampton has received praise for employing an attractive brand of football under Mauricio Pochettino and more recently, Ronald Koeman and Claude Puel, and having the best youth system on English soil - which has produced the likes of Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Alex-Oxlade Chamberlain, Calum Chambers and Adam Lallana; apart from current Manchester United leftback, Luke Shaw.

Referee

Andre Marriner.​

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Worried about those injuries, what if there's no Carrick or Mkhitaryan?

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
    De Gea
    Valencia Bailly Smalling Blind
    Herrera Schweinsteiger Pogba
    Mata Ibrahimovic Martial

LR7

Been at the back of my mind given the number of fixtures we've had but it's a tad hard not to get excited now.

NJM78

Don't care how we play I just want the trophy.

Full fitness I would play

----------De Gea
    Valencia Bailly Rojo Blind
    ----------Carrick
    ----Herrera----Pogba
    Micky----Zlatan---Martial

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
    Staff
    De Gea

Herrera Pogba
    Mata Mkhitaryan Martial
    Zlatan​

If Mkhitaryan is out then Rashford will probably start over Martial.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Confirmed both Carrick and Mkhitaryan are out

Morpheus 7

Jose got it wrong today, 10 men for a good bit of the second half. Far too strong a team played with the cup final this Sunday. Potential injuries to Carrick and Miki. Pogba, Zlatan another 90 minutes. Someone said Martial got injured in the warm up. Yes we won today with a clean sheet but our recovery and lineup could come at a cost. I really want to beat Southampton at the weekend. This game will have a massive effect on our season. Such a boost if we win, such a low if we lose, it will go right through the club. Manchester united's strongest team would beat Southampton but think it will be much closer now. Jose risked too much today, first time disappointed at him since he came.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
    Staff
    Scholes & Owen's XI:

De Gea

Fellaini Herrera
    Mata Pogba Martial
    Zlatan​

Though Owen said he'd put Rashford in for Fellaini, Mata behind Zlatan with Pogba and Herrera in midfield.

SirScholes

Jose got it wrong today, 10 men for a good bit of the second half. Far too strong a team played with the cup final this Sunday. Potential injuries to Carrick and Miki. Pogba, Zlatan another 90 minutes. Someone said Martial got injured in the warm up. Yes we won today with a clean sheet but our recovery and lineup could come at a cost. I really want to beat Southampton at the weekend. This game will have a massive effect on our season. Such a boost if we win, such a low if we lose, it will go right through the club. Manchester united's strongest team would beat Southampton but think it will be much closer now. Jose risked too much today, first time disappointed at him since he came.
    we need CL football, the team was in cruise control and it was unfortunate, the Europa is an access to CL so he made sure we got through. No gripes with mou

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    It was always likely going to be a close game even if we had two weeks offs beforehand top. Southampton are a quality side who didn't tend to concede many until recently.

I'd much rather be playing and winning games (no consequential loss since November), than be sitting around.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
    I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
    We have a good squad, and we are going to pick up a few injuries here and there. I hardly think our team is out on it's feet right now. Jose wanted to make sure of todays result, and he obviously knows more about our squads tiredness and what recovery certain players need than we do. So much fear and panic around lately.

Devil may care

If Mkhi is out our4-2-3-1 is decidely less threatening, and with Carrick out we can't play 4-3-3 very effectively unless Jose plays Basti, which is very unlikely.

Best bet is to just stick Lingard in the hole behind Ibra and hope for the best.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
    If Mkhi is out our4-2-3-1 is decidely less threatening, and with Carrick out we can't play 4-3-3 very effectively unless Jose plays Basti, which is very unlikely.

Best bet is to just stick Lingard in the hole behind Ibra and hope for the best.

And if that doesn't work, we could put Rashford through the right and Mata as #10, but much more attacking.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    -----------DDG------------
    Valencia-Bailly-Smalling-Blind
    -----Pogba---Herrera-----
    Mata---Micky T---Martial
    -----------Ibra-----------

pilky02

Supports
    I could eat a nob at night
    If Mkhi and Carrick are both out i wouldn't mind seeing Young at right back and Valencia right wing with Mata and Martial in the middle and on the left respectively. Would shut down Redmond and give us great potential to counter attack.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
    Don't really understand all these urges to change our lineup completely because one first team player is missing.

Devil may care

And if that doesn't work, we could put Rashford through the right and Mata as #10, but much more attacking.
    I'd like to see Rashford tried on the right more, he's whipped in some decent crosses from there. I think Mata finds it harder at #10 because of his lack of pace and strength, it allows defenders to push up on him and neutralize him, I am loving the freedom he gets with the floating role off the right, it allows him more room to work in and makes him harder to pick up.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    De Gea
    Herrera Fellaini
    Mata Pogba Martial
    Ibrahimovic

2-0. Ibra and Mata to score.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    Scholes & Owen's XI:

De Gea

Fellaini Herrera
    Mata Pogba Martial
    Zlatan​

Though Owen said he'd put Rashford in for Fellaini, Mata behind Zlatan with Pogba and Herrera in midfield.
    yep. Same side Id go, assuming Carrick and Mhki are out

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Shit time for the injuries. Guessinh we'll put out:

De Gea
    Fellaini Herrera Pogba
    Mata Ibrahimovic Martial​

Though I would pick Schweiny in for Fellaini. Not gonna happen though. With either miki or carrick, 1 of the 2 easily slot in but its tricky now.

MadMike

Rooney's farewell before he goes to China?!
    I wouldn't begrudge him a bench spot and a substitute if the game is won and there's 10 mins left.

But I'd want him nowhere near the pitch while things are in the balance.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Zlatan Ibrahimovic image Zlatan Ibrahimovic 96% of 987 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 695 ratings.

Score Predictions