Everything is in our hands now

Same team as in last few games.

DDG
    Same four in defense
    Same three in midfield
    Upfront - Rash, Greenwood, Martial

Will be enough time to rest the lads afterwards

Strelok

You go into those games with a different mindset though, because you know they're better (in City's case at least). Its quite easy to be surprised and unsettled by teams that are weaker and press relentlessly.

Long story short, we just need to be on it. If we're at our best I'm confident we'll beat them, but if we're complacent, Southampton are more likely to punish us than the rest of the teams we've played recently.
    I don't think we'd be complacent, imo the players surely would understand the importance of this match.

I'm worried a bit about Sou being a not easy opponent at all and our mentality against pressure though. Are we tough and good enough to overcome this? We'll have the answer soon.

Havak

Pokemon master
    This is where we find out if this Manchester United side has really turned the corner. All too often at the end of last season and throughout this one, each time we have been presented with a chance to punish our direct competition and climb the table, we failed.

For what it's worth, I think we'd probably still finish fourth or maybe even third if we draw this game, but the momentum of winning this one would just cement it for us. I'm fully confident that if we win tonight, we'd beat Palace as well and I can't see Chelsea or Leicester getting maximum points from their fixtures. At best, I can see them both getting 5 Points from the last three games and that's if they play very well too. I fancy us to get at least 8 Points, but I'm going to be even more optimistic than that due to the confidence we have and say we'll get 10. 68 Points to end the season, Chelsea/Leicester will fall short of that by at least 3.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
    Southampton will press us high. They did it to good effect in their last game, we don't like that, so we need to be sharp from the get go, none of this taking 20 minutes to wake up.

This is a chance to go 3rd, we need to seize it. I hope Bruno fires the lads up, I get the feeling he plays an important role in that.
    Let them do it, we'll kill them on the counter. Their best chance is to sit deep

TrustInOle

Keep Ings away from our box and should be another comfortable win.

Not sure how you'd play against us ATM, we are ace. :devil:

Squeaky Bumtime

Today's the day lads. I'm already nervous and I keep telling myself it's only football so I'm that nervous. :D

Another big chance to claim our spot and we shouldnt waste it again. This is a chance to prove post brake United is not the same as the one before that (although our unbeaten run started before the brake of course) and that we have truly turned the corner. In the sense that we have a ton of confidence, team believes in Ole's method and themselves and Ole in turn trusts the team. They're all brimming with confidence and atmosphere seems fantastic among them. Watching United games is again a joy and I thank every one of them, from the kitman to the last player, hell I even thank Phil Jones.
    As someone said smartly in another thread, no fans in the stands can only help them in the sense to ease the pressure, they just need to play their game. Of course they will be nervous a bit, a that will keep them sharp and focused on the task at hand. But I dont think they are nervous like before when an opponent goal would totally shatter their confidence. When they conceded vs Bournemouth they kept on pushing until they got their first and second and third. No more torture and digging to find that goal.

I worry a bit about the state of the team, fatigue wise. We should really start the best 11 again but Bruno is a risk, he has played every single minute since the brake and hopefully we can secure a result till lets say 60th minute and sub him of. AWB has showed a signs of tiredness too so maybe we should statz with Williams there but that's about it.

Of course even if we draw or lose there's still a big chance we will make it but lets take this chance to make our claim a firm one and finally jump from that dreaded 5th spot.

We go for it! :D

Reactions: Penna

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    Been handed a huge opportunity: I never dared dream both Chelsea and Leicester would lose. Not sure how many chances we've blown this season but there aren't likely to be many more and certainly not like this (I don't trust Liverpool to do us a favour against Chelsea and I don't want the tension of needing to win at Leicester on the last day of the season!). That said, Southampton have a reasonable recent record at OT. Once again, I'd say this is a must win...

freddie the red

Defo want a win tonight but the pressure of having to win has been released by Leicester losing last night.
    Should we lose tonight ( :mad: :mad: ) we can still pip L'ster to 4th by beating them at the KP but Chelsea will then have CL within their own grasp again.
    I don't like the fact we've screwed it up previously when Chelsea have dropped points but we're in a much better vein of form now with quality all over the attack so we really should capitalise on the weekend's results.
    3-1 and some tangible advantage for us please, not just having a game in hand!

Tony247

Let them do it, we'll kill them on the counter. Their best chance is to sit deep
    When a team commits bodies during attack there is a chance that their forwards and midfielders stray out of position, leaving pockets of space behind. This invites counter attack.

High pressing is different. Here forwards and midifielders take careful positions. High pressing teams have to have agile, high stamina and quick midfielders so that the pressing column drop backs as other team moves the ball forward. It is not a game of counter attacking. But more like chess.

To counter an effective high pressing team one need skilled, press resistance defensive midifielder and defenders. We have Bruno but he has to stay close to final third. So Pogba will drop back and start the move from deep. Fred and McT are not very skilled and press resistant. No option but Matic to start. Lindelof is very good in distribution. So expect him to sprint advance whenever opportunity exists. Maguire is slow so he will stay behind. AWB cannot leave Maguire alone so he will not make many sprints forward. That job will go to Greenwood and he has shown talent beyond his years in that regard. I am expecting him to continue. AWB will cover for Lindelof. Expect Matic to hold the fort at least till we are ahead.

Among our forward line Rashford is not press resistance. But Martial, Greenwood, Bruno all can retain the ball. This is where we will hurt them. Key is bringing the ball from our half into their half. Matic, Lindelof and Pogba will lead that effort. Once the ball is in final third... then Gold help the saints.

Dante

Average bang
    We are not used to play City? Sheffield United? Interesting... we will have to be proactive then, since some have a short memory of who we are as a team!
    We played 532 against City with McTominay and Fred in midfield. Sheffield United didn't press high. Villa DID press high in the first 20 minutes and made us look very uncomfortable.

A midfield 2 including Pogba is never going to be positionally perfect. As exciting as the last few weeks have been, my big worry is about how the new midfield will cope under sustained pressure. They've only had to do it briefly in the last game.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
    When a team commits bodies during attack there is a chance that their forwards and midfielders stray out of position, leaving pockets of space behind. This invites counter attack.

High pressing is different. Here forwards and midifielders take careful positions. High pressing teams have to have agile, high stamina and quick midfielders so that the pressing column drop backs as other team moves the ball forward. It is not a game of counter attacking. But more like chess.

To counter an effective high pressing team one need skilled, press resistance defensive midifielder and defenders. We have Bruno but he has to stay close to final third. So Pogba will drop back and start the move from deep. Fred and McT are not very skilled and press resistant. No option but Matic to start. Lindelof is very good in distribution. So expect him to sprint advance whenever opportunity exists. Maguire is slow so he will stay behind. AWB cannot leave Maguire alone so he will not make many sprints forward. That job will go to Greenwood and he has shown talent beyond his years in that regard. I am expecting him to continue. AWB will cover for Lindelof. Expect Matic to hold the fort at least till we are ahead.

Among our forward line Rashford is not press resistance. But Martial, Greenwood, Bruno all can retain the ball. This is where we will hurt them. Key is bringing the ball from our half into their half. Matic, Lindelof and Pogba will lead that effort. Once the ball is in final third... then Gold help the saints.
    You're really giving them far too much credit. They were at home in that game, so they were more positive in their press. I doubt they will do that tonight for long periods

PoTMS

A win today also means Arsenal can not finish above us this season and can no longer mathematically qualify for the Champions League (5th place). Spurs also, except they can technically catch us on goal difference although it would need a 20 goal swing in three games.

Shiva87

Expecting the same first XI today. The team would have had 4 full days from the last game and had 5 days before that.

Expect the team to be up for this (shouldn't be leggy). The challenge will come on our next games with Palace and Chelsea. We will need to rotate for Palace for sure if we want to win the FA cup.

A win today will really put us in a much better position before the Palace game. We can rest a few players knowing that for the first time we would be ahead of the chasing pack, and then focus the first XI on the Chelsea game.

If we don't win today, it would be a huge opportunity lost.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
    I’m unusually nervous about tonight, if we shut down Ings it should be an easy win but with the form of De gea and McGuire both looking like Sunday league players I can see one of them making an error.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Chelsea lost, Leceister lost, City's ban lifted. This is the most important game we've played so far in the league

izec

A must win.

Palace next should be easy and then West Ham, who fight for relegation. Win the next two and i am comfortable we will be in top 4, especially since Chelsea and Leicester have some tricky games coming up.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    A great opportunity to show we're a new outfit these days.

A win and hitting third will massively demoralise Leicester and Chelsea

freddie the red

5th place is still an option for other teams if we win the Europa League
    Other teams???

Mate, not interested in what other teams could achieve. We must go all out to qualify by right by winning all our league games.

Then, and only then, if that doesn't work we know we can still make it by winning the EL.

We may have two bites of the cherry but it makes no sense to rely on the second bite by not taking the first.

MiracleInMadrid

If things go wrong today, then there's barely any hope left, is there? Of course we can still very well end up in top 4, but if we crumble under the pressure tonight against Southampton at home, then we still have a long way to go. It is in these kind of scenarios we really show if we are to be trusted in the near future as capable of playing under pressure.

I know that Southampton are on a good run, but come on guys. They have been within five points from relegation the last two seasons, but we have blasted right through teams recently, and have looked better than the main part of the last 7 years.

The only thing stopping us from a certain win tonight is ourselves.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    If things go wrong today, then there's barely any hope left, is there? Of course we can still very well end up in top 4, but if we crumble under the pressure tonight against Southampton at home, then we still have a long way to go. It is in these kind of scenarios we really show if we are to be trusted in the near future as capable of playing under pressure.

I know that Southampton are on a good run, but come on guys. They have been within five points from relegation the last two seasons, but we have blasted right through teams recently, and have looked better than the main part of the last 7 years.

The only thing stopping us from a certain win tonight is ourselves.
    All that happens is we've one less game to overtake the other sides, Chelsea will still have Liverpool and Wolves to play, Leicester will still have Sheffield United, Spurs and us to play. Not the end of the world if we don't win today

At least that's what I'll be telling myself

jamesjimmybyrondean

A win today puts on in a very good position. We would be ahead of Leceister and Chelsea who still have tough games left. While this is probably the most difficult fixture we have left.

TrustInOle

Not feeling the nerves or the negativity slowly spreading through this thread. Full on expect us to thump these by a good margin. Gone 4-0.

Time to put the pressure on others for a change! Let's gooooo :devil:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    With city's ban being overturned the fa cup semi final can feck off for me now. The Southampton and Palace games are far more important games now. Win those 2 and then we will be looking good going into Westham at home.

Don't think getting to a cup final but losing out on top 4 is enough for Ole. We have to be back in the CL this year. Its all that matters really. The money isn't there with the pandemic otherwise.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 335 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw