Kick-off
Tue, 2 February 2021 @ 8:15pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    VS...................

Date - Tuesday, February 02 2021

Kickoff Time - 2015 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Old Trafford, Manchester

League standings and form guide

2. Manchester United: WDWLD
    11. Southampton: DWLLL

Previous Meetings

Southampton 2—3 Manchester United

Manchester United 2—2 Southampton

Southampton 1—1 Manchester United

Manchester United 3—2 Southampton

Southampton 2—2 Manchester United

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins: 54
    Southampton wins: 25
    Draws: 20

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Ralph Hasenhüttl

Team News

Manchester United

Phil Jones ruled out. Scott McTominay doubtful.

Southampton

Mohammed Salisu, Michael Obafemi, William Smallbone, Nathan Tella and Kyle Walker-Peters ruled out. Jannik Vestergaard, Oriol Romeu, Ibrahima Diallo and Theo Walcott doubtful.

Know the opposition

Southampton Football Club (nicknamed The Saints) are a professional football club based in Southampton, Hampshire. Southampton were founded in 1885 by members of St Mary's Church of England Young Men's Association. St. Mary's Y.M.A., as they were usually referred to in the local press, played most of their early games on The Common where games were frequently interrupted by pedestrians insistent on exercising their right to roam. More important matches, such as cup games, were played either at the County Cricket Ground in Northlands Road or the Antelope Cricket Ground in St Mary's Road. The club was originally known as St. Mary's Young Men's Association F.C. (usually abbreviated to "St. Mary's Y.M.A.") and then became simply St. Mary's F.C. in 1887-88, before adopting the name Southampton St. Mary's when the club joined the Southern League in 1894.

Southampton play their home games at St. Mary's Stadium, and were one of the founding members of the Premier League in 1992. The club has a long-standing sporting rivalry with Portsmouth in a match termed the South Coast Derby or the Hampshire Derby. Southampton has received praise for employing an intense brand of football under Mauricio Ralph Hasenhüttl, and having one of the best youth systems on English soil — which has churned out the likes of Alan Shearer, Gareth Bale, Matth Le Tissier, Theo Walcott, Alex-Oxlade Chamberlain, James Ward-Prowse, Calum Chambers, Adam Lallana over the years — as well as current Manchester United leftback, Luke Shaw.

Referee

Mike Dean.​

Gordon S

3 days rest. This season is brutal. Need some attacking players to find some form here. It is going to be tough but think we are due a win now.

always_hoping

Hard to be confident about any game in Old Trafford nowadays. Drew with Southampton in two of the last 3 OT games and the 1 win was 89th goal in 3-2 match.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    3 days rest. This season is brutal. Need some attacking players to find some form here. It is going to be tough but think we are due a win now.
    Due a win? We’re comfortably over performing expected points. We’re not getting unlucky this season. The problem is we’re a top 3-7 side and no more.

Going to another real tough game to get three points. I’d love a routine win, but Southampton have given us real hard game in recent years.

Havak

Pokemon master
    Got to win, need to play quicker and make the most of our chances finally. Sound like a broken record:

de Gea
    Wan-Bissaka Bailly Maguire Shaw
    Pogba Fred
    Greenwood Bruno Rashford
    Cavani​

48 hours

Just want us to play with some urgency and pace and actually cause them some problems.
    Sadly they will press us like mad men and we will forget how to pass

Gordon S

Due a win? We’re comfortably over performing expected points. We’re not getting unlucky this season. The problem is we’re a top 3-7 side and no more.

Going to another real tough game to get three points. I’d love a routine win, but Southampton have given us real hard game in recent years.
    Thought we were the better team in last two games. More possession, more and better chances. Some shocking stuff alright but we still create enough i think.

rooney2009

Must win game
    We also need a plan b,we can’t keep trying to pass out from the back all the time even Man City go long sometimes

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
    Another tough game. Just scoring would be a blessing at this rate.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
    Supports
    Big Days
    Expecting JWP to be hitting a few worldies again.

Irwin99

Southampton players are dropping like flies tonight so many injuries
    Probably means we'll lose this one then! Seriously though, losing Walcott is hardly a blow the amount of times i've seen him. Any other injuries besides him and Diallo ?

Roboc7

Southampton always seem to give us problems, they’ll be depleted but so were Sheffield Utd and Arsenal. Can see this being a real struggle so going for 1-1.

OrcaFat

Will be disappointed if we don’t win this one.

Something’s been off the last couple of games, probably the stress of playing LFC twice in a week (which is definitely draining if you give even half a shite about our club).

Hopefully back to ourselves now and win 2-0.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
    Unless we really freshen the attack up (Van de Beek, Diallo, Greenwood, anyone!) we are going to drop more points here. We look like we're running on fumes.

The last 2 games have really rammed home how we ought to have essentially disregarded the cup game v Liverpool. Such a limited squad and absolutely no need to needlessly extend an already insanely packed season.

We've completely nosedived into a top 4 dogfight, and I don't expect us to get back to winning ways anytime soon sadly.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    Southampton have dropped off a fair bit, so we're playing them at a decent time.
    Unlike Arsenal, who have been on a good run.

But we need to hit back immediately.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    Unless we really freshen the attack up (Van de Beek, Diallo, Greenwood, anyone!) we are going to drop more points here. We look like we're running on fumes.

The last 2 games have really rammed home how we ought to have essentially disregarded the cup game v Liverpool. Such a limited squad and absolutely no need to needlessly extend an already insanely packed season.

We've completely nosedived into a top 4 dogfight, and I don't expect us to get back to winning ways anytime soon sadly.
    You don't write off a cup game against Liverpool.

It could easily pan out that the FA cup is our only chance of glory this year.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Aside from the usual suspects, I’d play Bailly at the back for this one, Fred and McT in midfield, Pogba in an attacking role, and Rashford, Cavani and Greenwood up top. Cavani would be a good focal point, along with Pogba too, to provide an outlet to beat their direct press, with Greenwood and Rashford attacking from wide.

No Bruno for me. Two of our better performances at home against decent sides have come in games he hasn’t started, so I wouldn’t be too arsed about dropping him. He can still impact from the bench and really freshen things up.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Yeah, because we’d all be feeling fecking champion if Liverpool had also won at Old Trafford this week.

croadyman

I would say all we can do is win this game and Everton on Sat to at least keep the gap to City at 3 points before they play at Anfield next Sun. Quite honestly we are relying on them dropping points now more than anything

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
    You don't write off a cup game against Liverpool.

It could easily pan out that the FA cup is our only chance of glory this year.
    I'm sorry, but during a season where you're practically playing 3 games a week and fans aren't even in the stadium, you absolutely can. And I don't think starting the likes of Williams, van de beek, Mata or James would have been considered "writing it off" - it's just rotating your squad and giving minutes to players in need of it in a competition which obviously means less.

We're so lop-sided in the amount of game-time some players have had compared to others. We need to be better at using our squad or we're going to watch this season flicker away. And we are not going to have a better chance to challenge for the league than this season with the issues City and Pool are facing.

It's just annoying to see us drop points because of our own failings rather than being well-beaten.

It was a great one off game, and always fun to beat them, but I guarantee you it was a fixture both managers were dreading - not because of who it was against - but because of what it meant to their team selections.

But back to the game in question - is Bailly going to be available for this? We're shite without him.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
    Time Travel
    The squad needs a refresher, I’d play some high energy players who haven’t gotten games recently. Hopefully Bailly is fit and Williams can give a game at right back.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    Apart from Armstrong they didn’t threaten Villa that much. Stuck to the same tactic that they used against Arsenal and Leicester and got found out. Grealish took the piss at times
    They tire as well
    We should win with our squad really

Inigo Montoya

The squad needs a refresher, I’d play some high energy players who haven’t gotten games recently. Hopefully Bailly is fit and Williams can give a game at right back.
    Williams looked well short of fitness in the U23 game today. Not good enough to play for us yet

Wayne's World

Southampton always give us a a hard game, every single season at Old Trafford so I expect the same here too

Any win will do

Inigo Montoya

That sucks, he was a spark plug last season.
    Overstating it. He was ok and awful in equal amounts. The FA cup semi he was crap and gave Chelsea the second goal. Think he played against Sevilla too. He looked a novice today.
    I’ll give him the benefit as he’s coming back from injury but he’s nowhere near Utd level right now

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

7.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 395 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw