Kick-off
Sun, 4 October 2020 @ 4:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ..........VS........

Date - Sunday, October 04 2020

Kickoff Time - 1630 Hrs BST
    Venue - Old Trafford, Manchester

League standings and form guide

14. Manchester United: LW
    8. Tottenham: LWD

Previous League Meetings

Tottenham 1–1 Manchester United

Manchester United 2–1 Tottenham

Tottenham 0–1 Manchester United

Manchester United 0–3 Tottenham

Tottenham 2–0 Manchester United

All-Time League Record

Manchester United wins: 83
    Tottenham wins: 41
    Draws: 43

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

José Mourinho

Team News

Manchester United

Alex Tuanzebe and Phil Jones ruled out.

Tottenham

Gareth Bale ruled out. Heung-min Son doubtful.

Know the opposition

Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, commonly referred to simply as Tottenham or Spurs (and nicknamed The Lilywhites), are a professional football club based in Tottenham, London. The Hotspur Football Club was formed in 1882 by a group of school boys, mostly aged 13 to 14, from Tottenham Grammar School and Saint John's Middle Class School who were members of the Hotspur Cricket Club formed two years earlier. Initially, the boys that formed Hotspur Football Club played games between themselves and friendly matches against other local clubs. The team entered their first cup competition in the London Association Cup, and won their first competitive match on 17 October 1885. The club turned professional on 20 December 1895, and in the summer of 1896 they were admitted to the Division One of the Southern League. On 2 March 1898, the club also became a limited company, the Tottenham Hotspur Football and Athletic Company.

Tottenham were the first club in the 20th century to achieve the League and FA Cup Double, winning both competitions in the 1960-61 season. After successfully defending the FA Cup in 1962, in 1963 they became the first British club to win a UEFA club competition – the European Cup Winners' Cup. In 1967, Spurs won the FA Cup for a third time in the 1960s. In the 1970s Tottenham won the League Cup on two occasions and were the inaugural winner of the UEFA Cup in 1972, becoming the first British club to win two different major European trophies. In the 1980s Spurs won several trophies: the FA Cup twice, FA Community Shield and the UEFA Cup in 1984. In the 1990s the club won the FA Cup and the League Cup. When they won the League Cup once more in 2008, it meant that they had won a major trophy in each of the last six decades – an achievement only matched by Manchester United.

Tottenham supporters have rivalries with several clubs, mainly within the London area. The fiercest of these is with north London rivals Arsenal (with matches between them termed the North London derby). They also share notable rivalries with fellow London clubs Chelsea and West Ham United. Tottenham currently play their home games at Wembley Stadium - with White Hart Lane being dismantled to make way for a new stadium as a part of the Northumberland Development Project.

Referee

Anthony Taylor.

Familiar Faces

José Mourinho (2016–2018)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    I'd potentially look at playing 3 at the back in this game just to make the defence look more solid. Then again I'd also like to see a 4 man midfield with Matic/Pogba/Bruno & VDB all starting. But how do you drop the front 3?

Ole's first real test

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
    Spurs are playing tomorrow right? They’re going to be knackered.

Fooza

Hope we batter them, 4-0

Martial x 2
    Rashford x 1
    Maguire x 1

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
    Supports
    Big Days
    Sons out isn’t he? Good time to play them.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    I'd potentially look at playing 3 at the back in this game just to make the defence look more solid. Then again I'd also like to see a 4 man midfield with Matic/Pogba/Bruno & VDB all starting. But how do you drop the front 3?

Ole's first real test
    Martial could easily be dropped. Still on holiday.

I think it will be the usual XI.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
    If they play their stars tmrw then there isn’t a better time to play them. Son, Bale and Alli won’t play. Bailly and Maguire keep Kane in their pockets.

cptkeane1993

I hope it's a Diamond with Matic holding and Pogba/Bruno/VdB ahead of him. Up front Martial and Rashford with Greenwood coming off the bench late, which could be useful in what would be a tight/close game against a Mourinho side. Bailly for Lindelof in defence.

In any case, it shouldn't be a 4-2-3-1. Too predictable and something Mourinho would've prepared thoroughly for. Need the surprise element of a formation tweak.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Bruno is reportedly struggling with his thigh, but will probably make it to the Spurs match.

feck :(

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Bruno is reportedly struggling with his thigh, but will probably make it to the Spurs match.

No drama just play VDB or Pogba further forward with one of McTominay or Fred with Matic. Plenty of options

pav1790

Ole's first real test
    Bribe FA, play 13 men?

Adcuth

feck spurs let's go at them. Fluid 4141

Henderson

AWB Bailley Maguire Shaw

Mctominay

Greenwood Bruno Pogba Donny

Rashford

They couldn't handle it. 4-0

FerociousCorgis

Henderson

AWB Bailley Maguire Shaw

Mctominay

Rashford

Jesus christ. Mctominay as the only deep midfielder in that formation? This must be a joke formation

Foxbatt

I hope it's a Diamond with Matic holding and Pogba/Bruno/VdB ahead of him. Up front Martial and Rashford with Greenwood coming off the bench late, which could be useful in what would be a tight/close game against a Mourinho side. Bailly for Lindelof in defence.

In any case, it shouldn't be a 4-2-3-1. Too predictable and something Mourinho would've prepared thoroughly for. Need the surprise element of a formation tweak.
    This is what I feel the best starting line would be for United. But knowing Jose instead of parking the bus he may also have a go.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Think it’s likely to be the normal XI, with maybe Bailly starting over Vic.

However I’d love to see a Donny, Fred Pogba midfield behind our front 3. Or Bruno for Pogba in that. But either way let Donny get around the box with our forwards benefiting from his layoffs and we’ll batter Spurs.

People calling for a diamond will be disappointed I think. We haven’t seen Ole try that once, plus I’m not sure you want to leave out Greenwood for another midfielder at this point.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
    Hard to call this one. Mourinho knows how to park the bus and Ole can’t coach the team to break down opponents. Mourinho might approach this the same way he did last time we met and just give us the ball and just counter. However, last week, Brighton was so successful in possession, that it would be a mistake for Spurs if they do not go with the same approach as they have much clinical attackers. If we play like the first two game of the season, we get embarrassed and lose this. However, I feel confident is coming back to some of our players and Ole is getting his luck back, so it can be much more competitive. No changes to the first 11, beside maybe Bailiy for Linderlof.

TheRedHearted

Ole's first real test
    You just said how
    3-4-3

RashyForPM

Henderson

AWB Bailley Maguire Shaw

Mctominay

Rashford

McTominay’s not gonna work in there but I agree with the Donny on the left for Martial thing. Put Matic in there to sort out Lo Celso and you’re good to go.

Mcking

Most likely the same team that started at Brighton, unless there's an injury.

4312. de Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Bailly, Maguire, Shaw; van de Beek, Matić, Pogba; B. Fernandes; Greenwood, Rashford.

Maybe just a bit too offensive. But I'd love to see it.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
    Think it’s likely to be the normal XI, with maybe Bailly starting over Vic.

However I’d love to see a Donny, Fred Pogba midfield behind our front 3. Or Bruno for Pogba in that. But either way let Donny get around the box with our forwards benefiting from his layoffs and we’ll batter Spurs.

People calling for a diamond will be disappointed I think. We haven’t seen Ole try that once, plus I’m not sure you want to leave out Greenwood for another midfielder at this point.
    We have seen it once, he played it against Everton last season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    Hope Bruno is fit, he's our talisman. We should have enough quality if he doesn't start though.

Any news on Son's injury? Is he definitely out?

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
    Scout
    Ole's first real test. I hope Bruno starts and scores the winner off a dodgy penalty in 7th minute of 5 minutes of extra time, preferably once more as the result of a VAR call taken after the whistle has been blown.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
    Scout

Every single time we have a leaked report of a possible injury to a key player, it usually follows with a missed game, a non-commital presser from the manager, more rumours, another missed game, and then player eventually being out for weeks together. :(

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
    I remember reading in the BBC live text that Kane was red carded after the final whistle vs Newcastle, but now doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere. Did that actually happen?

ColvaleGoa

Mourinho is keeping Bale fresh for this game. He just wants to unleash the Bale on Ole for patting his head last time around.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
    Despite both managers prefer counter atacking football i think that this will be great game with lots of goals. 3-2 win.
    Kane is not the same player without Son and Spurs are not the same team without Son. Martial and Rashford will destroy their back 4.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

2.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 426 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw