Manchester United vs Tottenham (Thu 25th July, 12:30 UK time)

Funky Futurista

It’s so painfully obvious he’s just not good enough.

What have you seen so far which makes you have faith Fred will (finally) show he is a qulity £50m player?
Good passer, ball progressor and has a good shot in him. His touch is erratic, but have faith he'll improve massively this season.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
It’s so painfully obvious he’s just not good enough.

What have you seen so far which makes you have faith Fred will (finally) show he is a qulity £50m player?
I hope he will improve this season, he is obviously behind most of the players in fitness, but I just wonder how much playing alongside a not great Matic influenced his game. Would like to see him alongside McTominay for a game, then we would have a better idea

Tony247

Sloppy and still looking very unsure of himself out there. It's weird, he definitely has the raw tools to be a decent player for us, but there just seems to be a mental block that, today, resulted in a lot of under hit or off-target passes or dallying on the ball just a second too long.
I gueas then if we sign SMS then Fred will be sent on loan.

kundalini

Positives:

- it was a competitive match, fierce challenges, Spurs pushing for an equalizer early in the 2nd half, then again late on
- Lovely goal from Gomes
- Martial showed both quality and work-rate,
- Dan James' pace and work-rate seemed to frighten Spurs
- McTominay distributed the ball well, shut down danger in our box,
- First half team seemed reasonably well organised, not perfect though

Negatives:

- Second half team did a poor job of keeping Spurs away from our goal
- Careless moments through-out the match
- Bailly's injury
- a few players in the 2nd half team looked complacent to me

Other things I noticed:

- Greenwood had a quiet 45 mins. Lost possession cheaply twice but otherwise seemed fine.
- Andreas Pereira used as a no 10

Overall encouraging

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Well, that proved that we’re going to be anhialated when we play a proper match against a decent team.
Then Spurs will be vaporised when they play a proper match against a bad team then?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
McTominay has been impressing me for some time. Always found him very mediocre and safe under Jose (probably due to Jose's instructions) but he's been coming along well under Ole. He puts himself about and certainly stands up for himself. His distribution has also become a lot more adventurous, as he looks to play it forward a lot more. Combined with his attitude and work rate, he's becoming a favourite.

Grande

McTominay has been impressing me for some time. Always found him very mediocre and safe under Jose (probably due to Jose's instructions) but he's been coming along well under Ole. He puts himself about and certainly stands up for himself. His distribution has also become a lot more adventurous, as he looks to play it forward a lot more. Combined with his attitude and work rate, he's becoming a favourite.
He was very good today. He has also been on the pitch most of the times our play has functioned best this preseason. Right now he is in our starting eleven by merit.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
He was very good today. He has also been on the pitch most of the times our play has functioned best this preseason. Right now he is in our starting eleven by merit.
Oh definitely. I think Ole has the same feeling. He clearly likes him a lot and i would expect to see his name on the team sheet for the Chelsea game.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I have seen all our games on MUTV and then later replays of all the highlights.

Our first half against Spurs was ok. They are a very good team. Our game plan worked as expected the first 30 minutes and overall we looked solid. We started with a intensive high press but the longer we played the easier Spurs could move the ball around. That’s something the management should be worried about.

We still have work to do regarding playing compact when we press high up in the pitch. Several times a few players hesitated to push forward when our offensive line started to harass the ball holder. Pereira is ok with ball to his feet but his weakness is to be part of a midfield unit when we defend. Pogba is a bit sloppy in defense and sometimes he overdo things, small errors that can cost us easy goals if we’re unlucky.

Mason Greenwood is a huge talent but atm he isn’t totally ready to be a starter against the better teams. Let him slot in gradually with sub appearances and maybe a few games her and there. No rush.

If there is any conclusions to draw from the first half is that we have a bunch of good players but there are still big holes to fill. Smalling and Rojo did ok but they shouldn’t be our starters if we aspire to be in top four. Tuanzebe is talented but he isn’t anywhere near the quality we need. I think it’s clear as daylight that we ASAP need to upgrade our CB position with Maguire.

We also need at new dm.

In the second half Matic was our biggest disappointment. Slow, flat footed and clumsy. We can play McTominay in that position but it would be a huge gamble. I can’t see us being successful in the long run with the midfield we have now. With both Herrera and Fellaini gone we are short of quality and this lack of quality will bite us hard if Pogba gets injured or must be rested.

Our starting line up against the better teams should be a 433 formation.

DDG
AWB/Lindelöf/New CB(Maguire)/Shaw
McTominay/New DM/ Pogba
Rashford/Martial/James

The front three can change positions during the game so it’s not set in stone who’s the top forward. But these three have acceleration, speed and goal scoring ability’s to put any team on their back foots. With Lingard and Greenwood as primary back ups I think we're covered up front in a 433 formation.

I’m not sure about our 4231 formation against better teams. Pogba and McTominay isn’t mobile and fast enough in tight areas to form a optimal double pivot against the top teams. Pereira should be a squad player, not a starter. If our intentions next season is to try to buy Sancho then we should go all in on defensive midfielder. If we believe in Sean Longstaff then the answer is clear.

Another problem is Lukaku, Sanchez and Mata. If we have a reasonable offer then sell Lukaku, if possible send Sánchez on loan and let Mata be a domestic cup player. That’s his level atm. Keeping Lukaku is short sighted. His value will decrease if he can’t be a regular starter, his style doesn’t suite Ole’s set up. Easy decision in my eyes.

Ole’s new style needs forwards with energy, speed and technical ability. That’s the perspective we should have when we scout new players for coming seasons. Our midfield needs a deep lying playmaker to complement McT and PP. Lindelöf needs a partner who’s technical, strong and a beast in the air. How hard can it be?

Last thing. Ole needs to be more distinct in his actions. I’m old school so I don’t like the soft approach he’s representing. Maybe I’m grumpy but I want him to man up a little bit, be more General and less Lieutenant so to speak.

roseguy64

Chong and James are far from ready to contribute regularly to a top 6 side. I reduce them to cameos is cup games mainly, and home games vs weak PL teams. Pepe on the right means Rashford/Greenwood can play left, thus putting Martial on the bench.
James isn't in the same conversation as Chong. He's played lots of senior football already.

Nr.7

Good passer, ball progressor and has a good shot in him. His touch is erratic, but have faith he'll improve massively this season.
The bold part is true to an extent when he has time on the ball, but as soon as he’s put under any kind of pressure that all goes down the drain.
Plus, his touch is inconsistent to say the least so if he’s going to improve he has quite a job to do, a borderline miracle.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Just watched the game, not suprised that our squad depth was proven superior as I mentioned earlier in this thread. The first half was a good performance, I liked what I saw of Martial as a number 9 and it gave us more option for this role for next season. Mctominay was my man of the match in that half. He looks like a true leader and showed his strength and intelligence. Should be a starter next season at United.

I am once again surprised about the quality of depth we have at United. I knew we had good squad depth, but with the likes of our academy players looking ready to push for first team football, it give us more options to choose from. I somewhat agree with Ole that I would be happy if we go into next season with the current team. However, I believe to fight for the title, we will need a center back and a right attacker. Pepe/Bruno and Maguire will make us challenge.

De Gea
AWB - Linderloff - Maguire - Shaw
Mctominay/Matic - Fred/Pogba/Pirera
Pepe/Lingard/Chong - Pogba/Gomes/Mata - Martial/Sanchez
Rashford/Martial/Greenwood

Spurs was more dominant in the second half surprisingly and Pochettino has most likely realized that he still has a long way to go if we wants to consistently challenge for the highest honors. Beyond his first team, there is some serious squad quality problem there. I didn’t recognized half the name that he put out, and I believe most of those players will be at a mid table club sooner rather than later. Pochettino seems focused on their midfield and attack in his rebuilding project but if he doesn’t address replacing Trippier and rose(and other first team players that might leave with quality players), then he could do worse than last season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Just watched the game, not suprised that our squad depth was proven superior as I mentioned earlier in this thread. The first half was a good performance, I liked what I saw of Martial as a number 9 and it gave us more option for this role for next season. Mctominay was my man of the match in that half. He looks like a true leader and showed his strength and intelligence. Should be a starter next season at United.

I am once again surprised about the quality of depth we have at United. I knew we had good squad depth, but with the likes of our academy players looking ready to push for first team football, it give us more options to choose from. I somewhat agree with Ole that I would be happy if we go into next season with the current team. However, I believe to fight for the title, we will need a center back and a right attacker. Pepe/Bruno and Maguire will make us challenge.

De Gea
AWB - Linderloff - Maguire - Shaw
Mctominay/Matic - Fred/Pogba/Pirera
Pepe/Lingard/Chong - Pogba/Gomes/Mata - Martial/Sanchez
Rashford/Martial/Greenwood

Spurs was more dominant in the second half surprisingly and Pochettino has most likely realized that he still has a long way to go if we wants to consistently challenge for the highest honors. Beyond his first team, there is some serious squad quality problem there. I didn’t recognized half the name that he put out, and I believe most of those players will be at a mid table club sooner rather than later. Pochettino seems focused on their midfield and attack in his rebuilding project but if he doesn’t address replacing Trippier and rose(and other first team players that might leave with quality players), then he could do worse than last season.
Did it break your heart to write that bit about Poch? ;)

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That Gomes goal was right out of City’s play book. ‘Left winger’ picks up the ball from left back, dribbles to edge of box, gives a quick one two to a player that is waiting in a channel on the edge of the box and there you have it. It’s quite ridiculous that city scored over 40 goals last season from this exact move and we barely pull off one every once in a while

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That Gomes goal was right out of City’s play book. ‘Left winger’ picks up the ball from left back, dribbles to edge of box, gives a quick one two to a player that is waiting in a channel on the edge of the box and there you have it. It’s quite ridiculous that city scored over 40 goals last season from this exact move and we barely pull off one every once in a while
Let’s hope it’s 1 of many!

let’s be honest our usual attackers dont have that sort of movement. Our youth have been schooled a little differently.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
15:25
Pochettino apologises to United
There were some strong tackles from Tottenham today.

Mauricio Pochettino said:

“Yes it’s true I was a little bit annoyed about some situations. Of course when you are so hot and sometimes you arrive late and something can happen.

“I apologise on behalf of our players to Man Utd. It’s not intention and sometimes when you arrive late these things can happen.”
Clever from Pochettino, keeping United fans warm to him for when he takes over as manager.

Irrational.

So Poch has come out and apologised for his team's roughhouse tactics. When your own manager apologises for tackles in a friendly, you just know your team is full of hatchet men with attitude. Would be wonderful if they flopped this season.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Has this been posted? No contact on Kane, that I could see.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with Pereira’s challenge. He won the ball fair and square and naturally followed through - perhaps a tackle he could’ve avoided in a friendly but it’s a game of professional football where things like that are fine.

Stamping is never fine.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
... Spurs was more dominant in the second half surprisingly and Pochettino has most likely realized that he still has a long way to go if we wants to consistently challenge for the highest honors. Beyond his first team, there is some serious squad quality problem there. I didn’t recognized half the name that he put out … .
You seem not to recognise that a big part of the purpose of pre-season friendlies is try out some young players, perhaps more so with Pochettino than many other managers.

Moreover, Lloris, Dier, Wanyama, Davies, Aurier and Sanchez were all unavailable.

roseguy64

This defense is worrying me. Can't believe Ole thinks Rojo can be trusted. When will Tuanzebe ever get a chance to show what he can bring to the team. Guess Rojo needs minutes cause he will be a regular again :nervous:
Rojo has barely played enough times in a season to have been called a regular. Usually gets games in bursts because of form and injury.

Canagel

Clever from Pochettino, keeping United fans warm to him for when he takes over as manager.
The dirty playing is a feature of his team for many years now. I'm sure he encourages them to do it behind the closed doors.

Last edited:

roseguy64

Attacking wise you look quite good and flowing. Still question marks defensively as that Alli chance showed. You still need a screener/CDM.
Agreed. McTominay would do fine there but he's been best in a 2 with Matic or in a 3 as the box to box role. He's not good enough there to play the role he was playing in this match an entire season next to a player like Pogba.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
well, I think its obvious that we lost the midfield when McTominay and Pogba came off.even Pereira is better than Fred. Id rather have Gomez than Jesse although Jesse's workrate is excellent, his end product isnt always there - although he still has a lot to offer, I reckon. Id get rid of fred, Sanchez, Matic and Lukaku. now.