Manchester United vs Tottenham (Thu 25th July, 12:30 UK time)

R'hllor

After some discussion, Amadeus convinced MP to come out in public and apologize.

dutchred

I would like to see the following
De Gea
Wan Lindelof Axel Shaw ( if we are playing a team that use a long ball to a tall CF then Smalling in place of Axel)
Mac New DM or (Periera)
Pogba
Gomes
Rashford Martial

Use Greenwood and James as impact subs

AshRK

Spurs had the upper hand in the game. performance wise.
Not really. First half we were the better side. Both performance and fitness wise. Second half they were better but not by much. We actually came back from the 70th min and looked ok. I don't look too much into the results in pre season but we were the better side today.

Snuffkin

De Gea
Wan Lindelof Axel Shaw ( if we are playing a team that use a long ball to a tall CF then Smalling in place of Axel)
Mac New DM or (Periera)
Pogba
Gomes
Rashford Martial

I'd play Greenwood before Gomes, and Mata must always be on the bench if he is not starting.

dutchred

I'd play Greenwood before Gomes, and Mata must always be on the bench if he is not starting.
Disagree
Gomes is more ready and perfect for the 10 Position. Greenwood needs more time before he becomes a regular

ChaddyP

They all need time. They're 17 years old. They will be bedded into the team. Not thrown in and playing 40 games a season

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Spurs had the upper hand in the game. performance wise.
We were far better first half. They had the better of us for 20 minutes in the 2nd half.

We wern't very good 2nd half.

RedDevilRoshi

My take on it:

First half:

Very good again. Still pressing well and not giving them time to settle on the ball and dictate the game. Some of the tackles on our players, particularly Sissoko’s stamp on James were absolutely shocking. No surprise Pochettino has came out to apologise. Talking about James, I thought he was terrific. Really gave Walker-Peters a torrid time, hence probably why Sissoko kept going over to double up on him and pretty much try to injure him. Other special mentions go to Martial, McTominay & Pereira. Martial probably played his best game for quite some time. Didn’t just score and hit the post but his movement was fantastic and he worked really hard. McTominay for me was an absolute tank in the midfield. Has really come on leaps and bounds. Countless times he got the better of Ndombele when both players were tussling for the ball. Protected the back four really well. I think he’s a certain starter for the Chelsea game. Pereira’s best position is number 10 and we seen that today. Not just the assist for Martial, he was always wanting to be on the ball and dictate the play. Pressed really well too and didn’t give Winks time on the ball. How many times did Winks get the better of Pereira? Hardly, in fact probably not at any point during the 1st half.

2nd half:

A whole host of changes for both sides. The introduction of Son for Spurs really gave them a whole new dimension and energy. He’s a fantastic player. They were the better side in that half but I felt we dealt well with the pressure they were applying when searching for the equaliser and they got it thanks to a lucky deflection that left Romero with no chance. Also as the game went on it was clear the conditions began to take its toll on the players as the intensity from the 1st half wasn’t there. Angel Gomes scored the winner and what a fantastic goal it was. I’m sure he will be over the moon just now after scoring his first ever goal in the 1st team! The link up play was fantastic to watch and neatly tucked away by Angel in the far corner. This kid is really special. Such a fantastic player to watch and doesn’t look out of his depth in the 1st team.

Overall I’m again pleased. The players worked hard and it’s clear to see that they are buying into what Ole is trying to implement. He’s giving us an identity. It will take time and we just need to be patient. We will have a couple of tumbles & wobbles along the way. We ain’t going to be completely transformed over night. I’ve personally taken a lot of positives from what I’ve seen during this tour whilst beforehand, I wasn’t expecting much other than picking up from where we left off last season. Onwards & upwards!

GJNJ

De Gea
Mac New DM or (Periera)
Pogba
Gomes
Rashford Martial

With playing all the games so far in a 4231 I think that will be the preferred formation with the occasional diamond.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Positives:

- it was a competitive match, fierce challenges, Spurs pushing for an equalizer early in the 2nd half, then again late on
- Lovely goal from Gomes
- Martial showed both quality and work-rate,
- Dan James' pace and work-rate seemed to frighten Spurs
- McTominay distributed the ball well, shut down danger in our box,
- First half team seemed reasonably well organised, not perfect though

Negatives:

- Second half team did a poor job of keeping Spurs away from our goal
- Careless moments through-out the match
- Bailly's injury
- a few players in the 2nd half team looked complacent to me

Other things I noticed:

- Greenwood had a quiet 45 mins. Lost possession cheaply twice but otherwise seemed fine.
- Andreas Pereira used as a no 10

Overall encouraging
From someone who didn't have a chance to watch it, much appreciated.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Clever from Pochettino, keeping United fans warm to him for when he takes over as manager.
I almost cannot recall any other manager apologising to the opposition for bad tackles.
He has always struck me as a man of principles and I applaud him for what he said.
Most other managers would say that they didn't see the tackles or try to blame the other side so well done to him for that.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
well, I think its obvious that we lost the midfield when McTominay and Pogba came off.even Pereira is better than Fred. Id rather have Gomez than Jesse although Jesse's workrate is excellent, his end product isnt always there - although he still has a lot to offer, I reckon. Id get rid of fred, Sanchez, Matic and Lukaku. now.
Agreed. Neither of these are anything like mobile enough for the type of play that Ole is going for.

MrSingh2002

McTominays performance against PSG and Verrati last season when he absolutely owned him showed he is ready.

He's now far better than Matic and should be starting most games now that Matic is proving regularly that he is either past it or not motivated.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
You seem not to recognise that a big part of the purpose of pre-season friendlies is try out some young players, perhaps more so with Pochettino than many other managers.

Moreover, Lloris, Dier, Wanyama, Davies, Aurier and Sanchez were all unavailable.
Yea, I understand that, but even at top teams like Real Madrid, Bayern, Barcelona, Man City, etcetera, I recognize a lot of their players when they make wholesale changes. The point I am getting at is that for Spurs to be a top club, they need to fix their squad depth issue. You can’t just have a strong first eleven and average players waiting on the side. When trying to compete for trophies, that formula doesn’t have much success. Disregarding our spending, United have such strong depth because we have identified some great youngster at an early age and brought them through our academy. Spurs has some good players out there from their academy. The striker Pierrot looked good, and skipp as well, but the rest looks like they deserve to be playing in the championship.

Foxbatt

Pereira needs to play. Yes he gives the ball away but he also is quick and can dribble and also pass and shoot from long range. Long range shooting is important if you can hit the target regularly but not like the Rashford like shooting.
McTominay, Pogba and someone apart from Matic in midfield along with Martial and Rashford up front with Pereira behind them.

Green_Red

We looked good against Spurs. The vibrancy of the young guys has invigorated us. Great to see. We looked alert and got to the ball quickly. We look fit and ready to go. Roll on the 11th.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What did our resident Spurs fans think of the game?
Good. Even if some of the challenges in the first have went a little over the top for a friendly. Overall I was pleased with the youth on display from both sides. As for the play itself it came and went in spurts which is understandable as this is only our second pre-season game and we played a fairly kid heavy lineup - especially at fullback which really hurt our ability to create in the wide areas.

Parrott had another great showing and set up a very nice chance that Alli really should have finished. Made several more moves to either start a break or earn a foul. Didn't get himself in a position to score though.

Thought Tanganga looked extremely composed and comfortable. Which is especially nice to see as you threw out a very quick forward lineup and we still maintained our high line. He also showed some confidence to press past the half way line when the opportunity arose.

Skipp came on and brought more energy and desire. Not as good as his Juventus performance but still has me hopeful for this upcoming season.

As for United I thought McTominay was very impressive, Greenwood didn't really do anything, James looks extremely fast but not much else to him yet, Gomes looked very good and showed it with that excellent goal. Disappointed to have not seen Garner or Chong though.

Alemar

As for United I thought McTominay was very impressive, Greenwood didn't really do anything, James looks extremely fast but not much else to him yet, Gomes looked very good and showed it with that excellent goal. Disappointed to have not seen Garner or Chong though.
And what about Dalot? He’s younger than some of those mentioned...

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The second half performance was pretty poor. Especially defensively. Son kept getting in on goal by just running towards our defence when THEY had the ball. Gomez was probably the pick of the bunch so glad he got the goal.

First half was a lot better from our point of view, though not sure what Spurs were up to there.

Neither side had anything like a first team out at any point so all you can take away from it from our end really is that our first half team looked sharp and our second half one didn't

Funky Futurista

The bold part is true to an extent when he has time on the ball, but as soon as he’s put under any kind of pressure that all goes down the drain.
Plus, his touch is inconsistent to say the least so if he’s going to improve he has quite a job to do, a borderline miracle.
True that he struggles under pressure, and his touch is very either or. Hopefully he can turn it around and become a good squad player at least. Would love to see him dribble a bit more when under pressure, instead of just panicking. Seems kinda similar to Sanchez when he puts on the shirt. Just can't handle it for some reason.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I hope Ole knows who is his XI and hopefully we see them in the next 2 games with 70mins together. I would start DeGea, AWB, Axel, Linderloft, Shaw, Tom, Pogba, Pereira, Gomes, Dan and Martial.

DSG

Just watched the game, not suprised that our squad depth was proven superior as I mentioned earlier in this thread. The first half was a good performance, I liked what I saw of Martial as a number 9 and it gave us more option for this role for next season. Mctominay was my man of the match in that half. He looks like a true leader and showed his strength and intelligence. Should be a starter next season at United.

I am once again surprised about the quality of depth we have at United. I knew we had good squad depth, but with the likes of our academy players looking ready to push for first team football, it give us more options to choose from. I somewhat agree with Ole that I would be happy if we go into next season with the current team. However, I believe to fight for the title, we will need a center back and a right attacker. Pepe/Bruno and Maguire will make us challenge.

De Gea
AWB - Linderloff - Maguire - Shaw
Mctominay/Matic - Fred/Pogba/Pirera
Pepe/Lingard/Chong - Pogba/Gomes/Mata - Martial/Sanchez
Rashford/Martial/Greenwood

Spurs was more dominant in the second half surprisingly and Pochettino has most likely realized that he still has a long way to go if we wants to consistently challenge for the highest honors. Beyond his first team, there is some serious squad quality problem there. I didn’t recognized half the name that he put out, and I believe most of those players will be at a mid table club sooner rather than later. Pochettino seems focused on their midfield and attack in his rebuilding project but if he doesn’t address replacing Trippier and rose(and other first team players that might leave with quality players), then he could do worse than last season.
My takeaways:
Positives
* James has potential - I can see him getting 15-20 appearances
* Greenwood, I thought he crossed the ball into dangerous areas and movement was good
* Martial wants to play striker. That much is evident
* Gomes better than Mata or Lingard. His playing time should reflect that
* Ultra quick swarming when losing the ball in the opponent’s third
* McTominay looks great - he’d be in my starting 11
* Tuanzebe looks great - he’d also be in my starting 11

Negatives:
* Lingard, and Mata aren’t bad players. But they can never play together. The pieces don’t fit. Poor Rashford is just waiting to be sprung, and neither can do it.
* Fred.... you have just a handful of appearances left to prove it to us. For whatever reason, we’ve managed to buy the one Brazilian in the world with a poor first touch.
* Pogba was pretty quiet. Had him alongside McT as a holding MF. I just don’t think that you can play him there and get an enthusiastic performance
* A lot of poor decision making by Dalot. As a backup, he’s fine, but you can’t have as your first choice RB. Hence, the AWB purchase...

DDG
AWB Tuanzebe Lindelof Shaw
McTominay
Andreas Pogba
Gomes
Rashford Martial

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
My takeaways:
Positives
* James has potential - I can see him getting 15-20 appearances
* Greenwood, I thought he crossed the ball into dangerous areas and movement was good
* Martial wants to play striker. That much is evident
* Gomes better than Mata or Lingard. His playing time should reflect that
* Ultra quick swarming when losing the ball in the opponent’s third
* McTominay looks great - he’d be in my starting 11
* Tuanzebe looks great - he’d also be in my starting 11

Negatives:
* Lingard, and Mata aren’t bad players. But they can never play together. The pieces don’t fit. Poor Rashford is just waiting to be sprung, and neither can do it.
* Fred.... you have just a handful of appearances left to prove it to us. For whatever reason, we’ve managed to buy the one Brazilian in the world with a poor first touch.
* Pogba was pretty quiet. Had him alongside McT as a holding MF. I just don’t think that you can play him there and get an enthusiastic performance
* A lot of poor decision making by Dalot. As a backup, he’s fine, but you can’t have as your first choice RB. Hence, the AWB purchase...

DDG
AWB Tuanzebe Lindelof Shaw
McTominay
Andreas Pogba
Gomes
Rashford Martial
I agree and would love to see that line up in the PL

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Positives:

- it was a competitive match, fierce challenges, Spurs pushing for an equalizer early in the 2nd half, then again late on
- Lovely goal from Gomes
- Martial showed both quality and work-rate,
- Dan James' pace and work-rate seemed to frighten Spurs
- McTominay distributed the ball well, shut down danger in our box,
- First half team seemed reasonably well organised, not perfect though

Negatives:

- Second half team did a poor job of keeping Spurs away from our goal
- Careless moments through-out the match
- Bailly's injury
- a few players in the 2nd half team looked complacent to me

Other things I noticed:

- Greenwood had a quiet 45 mins. Lost possession cheaply twice but otherwise seemed fine.
- Andreas Pereira used as a no 10

Overall encouraging

which IMHO is his natural position

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
And what about Dalot? He’s younger than some of those mentioned...
Don't want to be mean but I thought he was quite poor in this game. I've seen him do better last season though so that's why I never mentioned him.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Don't want to be mean but I thought he was quite poor in this game. I've seen him do better last season though so that's why I never mentioned him.
Also what happened to Cameron Borthwick-Jackson? Can't remember how long ago it was but I remember thinking highly of him.