Manchester United vs Tottenham (Thu 25th July, 12:30 UK time)

Nick7

Also what happened to Cameron Borthwick-Jackson? Can't remember how long ago it was but I remember thinking highly of him.
He's still here. Went on a few loans. Failed on them. He's not really very good.

Zeno

We saw a lot of great combinations over pre-season so far. I’m looking forward to next year. I reckon there are 3 positions in the starting XI up for grabs.

1. Centre back - either Axel or Smalling
2. Right sided attacker - either Lingard or Greenwood
3. No.10 - either Mata, Andreas, Lingard or Gomes

The most exciting option for each position are the young guys. But honestly I think it’s too soon for all 3 at the same time in what is already a relatively young team. If you could add Maguire and a top creative no.10 then I think we would be in a good place.

Last edited:

TRUERED89

i need a timestamp

edit:

Nice one Scott! Don't take no sh!t Spurs acting like they're in the CL final again, muppets. Classy from Poch to apologise for their behaviour though, there were some real nasty tackles on DJ from Sissoko too and a deliberate stamp (son of a....)

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
My takeaways:
Positives
* James has potential - I can see him getting 15-20 appearances
* Greenwood, I thought he crossed the ball into dangerous areas and movement was good
* Martial wants to play striker. That much is evident
* Gomes better than Mata or Lingard. His playing time should reflect that
* Ultra quick swarming when losing the ball in the opponent’s third
* McTominay looks great - he’d be in my starting 11
* Tuanzebe looks great - he’d also be in my starting 11

Negatives:
* Lingard, and Mata aren’t bad players. But they can never play together. The pieces don’t fit. Poor Rashford is just waiting to be sprung, and neither can do it.
* Fred.... you have just a handful of appearances left to prove it to us. For whatever reason, we’ve managed to buy the one Brazilian in the world with a poor first touch.
* Pogba was pretty quiet. Had him alongside McT as a holding MF. I just don’t think that you can play him there and get an enthusiastic performance
* A lot of poor decision making by Dalot. As a backup, he’s fine, but you can’t have as your first choice RB. Hence, the AWB purchase...

DDG
AWB Tuanzebe Lindelof Shaw
McTominay
Andreas Pogba
Gomes
Rashford Martial
Who is providing the width in this lineup? It looks like Shaw and AWB would be and that would not work IMO. In today's game you must have consistent threats down the wings to stretch organized defenses.

I think James is going to be a starter. Defenders are responding to James with hacks and dirty play and that's a true mark of being scared of an attacking player.

DSG

Who is providing the width in this lineup? It looks like Shaw and AWB would be and that would not work IMO. In today's game you must have consistent threats down the wings to stretch organized defenses.

I think James is going to be a starter. Defenders are responding to James with hacks and dirty play and that's a true mark of being scared of an attacking player.
I don’t disagree. It’s a diamond midfield with Gomes as the 10 and Pogba on the left of midfield. Width is always a problem in that formation and the strikers need to provide width at times by running the channels and finding space.

Ole is playing a 4-2-3-1 and at times, a 4-3-3. These are basically the same system. Everyone wants to play a 4-3-3 like Liverpool and press like hell. We just don’t have the personnel for a Liverpool-like 4-3-3 in my opinion. Klopp has three hard working, ball-winning midfielders that are very quick. We have Matic. They have a CF that is unselfish and hard working, but also can act as a target man (Firmino). Neither Rashford or Martial are good as targetmen, they are much better getting behind the defense.

I do think the off-the-radar James purchase was an attempt to allow us to play like Liverpool, but the rest of the squad just doesn’t have the skill set for that type of formation.

I suppose you could play Gomes on the wing in a 4-3-3, but you want him on the ball in tight spaces, not flying down the wing and putting balls into the box.

Ugh. We just don’t have personnel that fits a certain style. I suppose that’s what happens when you have 4 managers in 8 years...

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It's always a dangerous game getting excited about preseason but in Greenwood, Gomes and Chong we look to have 3 genuinely exciting youngsters, and a manager who just might place his trust in them (never would have said that a year ago.)
Based on what I saw last season, Ole will revert to "Fergie's boys" when the going gets tough. I just don't see him giving many minutes to the youth.
I think Ole prefers "Fergie's boys" and then players who are in their early 20's (in that order). I'm not convinced he likes to use teenagers.
The problem that Ole has is that if he takes risks by using the teenagers and we fall down the league table, he'll be fired. He doesn't have a squad capable of reverting to a first team which can almost guarantee wins and climb back up the table. If we get into 10th place, say, it's quite possible that we won't have a first team good enough to take us back up.

Playing teenagers is risky, especially when it can cost you your job in 3-4 months.

RedTiger

Half mast
Based on what I saw last season, Ole will revert to "Fergie's boys" when the going gets tough. I just don't see him giving many minutes to the youth.
I think Ole prefers "Fergie's boys" and then players who are in their early 20's (in that order). I'm not convinced he likes to use teenagers.
The problem that Ole has is that if he takes risks by using the teenagers and we fall down the league table, he'll be fired. He doesn't have a squad capable of reverting to a first team which can almost guarantee wins and climb back up the table. If we get into 10th place, say, it's quite possible that we won't have a first team good enough to take us back up.

Playing teenagers is risky, especially when it can cost you your job in 3-4 months.
What do you mean by "Fergie's boys"?

always_hoping

Going through the squad and looking at the players that played in the Spurs game

DeGea/Romero - Two good keepers and looks like DeGea might be staying?

Wan Bissaka/Dalot - good options for that position

Smalling/Bailly/Tuanzebe - Smalling a decent back up centre back,Bailly with yet another injury. Jury remains out on Tuanzebe

Rojo/Lindelof - Not sure why Rojo is still at the club, Lindelof probably the best centre half United have and a new signing required to play along side him.

Young/Shaw - Young should be finishing his career at some mid table championship team yet he's still at United and is captain. Shaw a decent full back option

McTominay/Matic - McTomo a decent back up midfielder. Matic is done as a top level footballer.

Pogba/Fred - Pogba will he stay or will he go? not a player to be building your team around if he stays IMO. Big season ahead for Fred to prove he isn't another big money flop signing

Pereira/Lingard - the former another good pre-season but can he deliver consistently when the real stuff starts? the latter has carried his poor form of last season into a new season and if thats the best he can do he should be kept on the bench.

Greenwood/Mata - One with a great future ahead of him the other is finished at this level

James/Gomes - two good young players and will need good experience players around them to guide them along (Do United have enough of those good experience players at the moment?)

Martial/Rashford - both looking in mood and between them they should be scoring at least 30 goals this season. (between them they scored 25 goals last season)

always_hoping

What do you mean by "Fergie's boys"?
I presume he means the players that are still there from Fergies time. Smalling,Jones,Young etc. If those three are regular starters again this season then United will miss out on top 4 once again IMO.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I presume he means the players that are still there from Fergies time. Smalling,Jones,Young etc. If those three are regular starters again this season then United will miss out on top 4 once again IMO.
Well there's no way Young is starting regularly unless perhaps Shaw gets a long term injury and Dalot doesn't impress. I think even then, someone like Brandon Williams in the reserves might get a chance.