Manchester United wins - 2
    Wolfsburg wins - 0
    Draws - 0

Pre-Match Pressers

Louis Van Gaal

Dieter Hecking

Team News

Manchester United

Michael Carrick and Luke Shaw sidelined. Ander Herrera, Antonio Valencia and Marcos Rojo doubtful.

Wolfsburg

Vierinha, Robin Knoche and Koen Casteels sidelined with injury. Luis Gustavo doubtful.

Know the opposition

Verein für Leibesübungen Wolfsburg e. V., commonly known as VfL Wolfsburg, and nicknamed Die Wölfe (The Wolves) are a professional football club based in Wolfsburg, Lower Saxony, Germany; and were founded in 1945 as VSK Wolfsburg, a new club formed in the aftermath of World War II, taking on from the first football club BSG Volkswagenwerk Stadt des KdF-Wagen, which was formed primarily with autoworkers building the historic Volkswagen Beetle. After long periods of struggle in the Verbandsliga Niedersachsen, Regionalliga Nord, Amateur Oberliga Nord, and Bundesluga mediocrity; Wolfsburg have now emerged as one of the most competitive clubs in German Football, especially since the hiring of taskmaster Felix Magath, who with the high octane striker partnership of Edin Dzeko and Grafite, led them to their first Bundesliga title in 2008/ 2009. Wolfsburg play their home games at the Volkswagen Arena.

Star player

Ricardo Rodriguez

With the departure of Kevin De Bruyne to Manchester City, Ricardo Rodriguez remains the most consistently excellent player for Wolfsburg, coming off two seasons where he scored a remarkable 17 goals, and assisted another 14 goals from the left back position. Club record signing Julian Draxler and highest scorer Bas Dost are another couple of players to watch.

Referee

Viktor Kassai.​

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
    I think Wolfsburg are going to draw at Old Trafford.

Andy Jones

Supports
    SUNDERLAND
    I'll be watching, as a neutral, hoping United win.

I'd like to see something;

De Gea
    Darmain
    Smalling
    Jones
    Blind

Schweinsteiger
    Herrera
    Carrick

Rooney
    Memphis
    Martial

SirAF

Ageist

aaaaaaaaa ooooooooouuouuuuu

(1-0 Rooney)

Ixion

Be very surprised if this isn't the team:

De Gea

Valencia - Smalling - Blind - Darmian

Schneiderlin - Schweinsteiger

Mata - Rooney - Memphis

Martial​
    That or swap Schneiderlin for Carrick. We need to win and Carrick and Schweinsteiger is a very experienced midfield.

I don't think the line-up game remembered my line-up from yesterday's game by the way, had to enter everything from scratch.

Devil may care

Be very surprised if this isn't the team:

De Gea

Valencia - Smalling - Blind - Darmian

Schneiderlin - Schweinsteiger

Mata - Rooney - Memphis

Martial​
    10 of this 11 are certs IMO, it's just a case of who partners Schweini, personally I'd go with Schneiderlin as well and have him sit on Draxler.

prateik

Didn't Owen score for us against them?
    They were pretty average back then.. have they improved much?

Sigma

Didn't Owen score for us against them?
    They were pretty average back then.. have they improved much?
    Scored a hatrick when we won 3-1 but they dominated that game, that was the game when we were Park, Fletcher and Carrick as defenders I think :lol:

Raw

Anything other than a win is a big disappointment.

Scored a hatrick when we won 3-1 but they dominated that game, that was the game when we were Park, Fletcher and Carrick as defenders I think :lol:

Amazing :lol:

Interestingly, we also had CSKA in that group.

Ixion

Can you imagine the meltdowns over the line-up prediction game if we could have done it then with that XI. That's one of the worst Sir Alex must have ever fielded.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
    Have to win this at all costs and if we do, we could even be first in the group as I think CSKA will beat PSV in Russia.

They played against Hannover yesterday (arguably the worst team in the Bundesliga) and drew at home 1-1 with a full strenght team.

Sigma

Ddg
    Valencia Smalling Blind Darmian
    BFS Herrera
    Mata Rooney Memphis
    Martial
    I think he will have learnt from last game at PSV and not play Herrera in CM, he's just not defensively sound enough, I'd lie to see him start in the no 10 position but I'm not sure he will.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    De Gea
    Valencia Smalling Blind Darmian
    Schweinsteiger Herrera
    Mata Rooney Memphis
    Martial
    Might be schneiderlin ahead of Herrera, but not sure as Herrera didn't play vs Sunderland, so he might just have been rested. I'd imagine we'll see a different midfield for every game over the next month with our tough games ahead.

Champions league back at Old Trafford though, everyone should be well up for it after being top in the league as well so hopefully we get a good performance. Going for 3-1, martial, Rooney and Memphis to score.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
    Can I just say I love being able to watch United more than once a week again!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
    Loving being back in the CL. Feels like we haven't had games this regular since the nineties or something.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I know Rooney won't be dropped, but i would prefer the formation from last year without him right now. IMO we aren't getting enough of the #10 position, so i would prefer Herrera coming into the side as a extra cm.

DdG
    Valencia Mike Blind Darmian
    Carrick
    Herrera Schweini
    JMata Martial Depay
    It's not going to happen though.

I think it will be this:

DdG
    Valencia Mike Blind Darmian
    Morgan Schweini
    JMata Rooney Depay
    Martial-
    Three days rest is enough for players to get fresh. Herrera have not been impressing in the double pivot, so i don't think LvG will use him in this match.

SteveW

Problem is he doesn't always finish. He isn't the Carrick of last season.
    I wouldn't read into him not finishing. LVG is trying to keep him fresh. This season we've won every game he's started and failed to win a single game where he hasn't. Whatever you say about his form he is extremely influential.

Brightonian

Not going to happen but I would much rather have Herrera in for Rooney.
    Same. Not as badly as I did a week ago though. Rooney was much improved against Sunderland, so shouldn't be too much of a disaster.

What side does Draxler play on these days, and how is he doing? Don't massively fancy the idea of him up against Valencia with only Mata to help.

ChaddyP

Young to start probably. Though I hope Memphis does. Keep on thinking that next game he will have a blinder.

Macern

Pee pee pants
    I follow Wolfsburg a bit, here's what I know of some of their players, I must add that I haven't watched them this season:

Benaglio - Good goalkeeper. Has been there for a long time.

Träsch - Don't know much about him. I thought Jung was better but Träsch is the one playing at the moment. Anyway, I don't think he's very good.
    Naldo - One of the absolute best centre backs in Bundesliga. God knows why he doesn't play for his national team.
    Dante - Is declining. Don't know any more about him than the average caftard I guess. Maybe Knoche will play?
    Rodriguez - One of the best left backs in the world. Extremly good in defense and on the ball. Not the quickest but he's quality. Arguably their best player.

Caligiuri - Good player. Right footed, can play on both wings. Quick and good on the ball. Nothing extreme.
    Luiz Gustavo - Reminds me of Makélélé. One of the best defensive midfielders in the world, especially when it comes to defending. As you can guess, he's very defensive. Has been brilliant for Brazil, especially in the world cup as some of you remember, but hasn't played for them recently due to Dunga being an idiot.
    Draxler - Huge talent. Just turned 22 and has 15 caps for Germany. Very good on his day. Tall, very technical and two footed. Can play in any of the three positions behind the striker.
    Schürrle - We all know him. Don't think he has been very good for Wolfsburg though.

Dost - Came out of "nowhere" last season and scored 16 goals in 17+4 games. 5 in 6+1 this season. 196cm/6ft5 is his height, and he's extremly lethal in the box.
    Kruse - Don't know much about him. They bought him from Mönchengladbach in the summer. He can play as a striker, second striker or attacking midfielder. Two footed and good on the ball.

Wolfsburg is currently 4th, which is around where they belong, although I think they'll bypass Schalke and finish 3rd behind Dortmund and Bayern. They lost their main man in De Bruyne, but still have a very good team. We're definitely better than them though and I expect a nice win.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Juan Mata image Juan Mata 56% of 1068 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 816 ratings.

Score Predictions