Sun, 23 February 2020 @ 2:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
    That's a very cool observation actually, mate.
    I hadnt paid it much heed to be honest, but it's quite a telling thing to notice and yes, it does make the formation pointless. None of this would be necessary if we had a top-class CDM.
    It's quite bizarre actually. I didn't see the point of shoehorning 2 LBs into the same line-up into pretty much the same position but then seeing the average positional map just made me sad. Here it is vs Club Brugge. Dalot has the right idea but Brandon hasn't yet figured it out. He's probably also quite confused because Shaw keeps making the runs that he wants to make, making him think maybe he should be the one to drop back and cover for Shaw. It's all one big mess and needs to be sorted out if Ole continues to insist on this hack job of a 532.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    This feels like some kind of Caf wet dream, as opposed to the way that real football normally works. I mean, they were both awful against Bruges but they've both been bang average for a long time, I can't see why Solskjær would suddenly exclude them from the squad.
    You basically answered your own question.

red_de_pologne

De Gea
    Bailly Maguire Shaw
    AWB Matić Fred Williams
    Bruno
    Martial Greenwood

Hopefully we get to see this XI. James needs a break & I don’t think Ighalo is ready to start. McTominay to come in to get some minutes; hoping to see Gomes as well.
    James didn't play on Thursday, he will certainly start today, if anyone needs a rest it's Matic who played 2 games this week already

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    Do we know if Lingard/Pereira are ill or injured? Scott coming back was going to put one of their places in jeopardy, but both of them.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    No mate you've misunderstood it. The question is why now, when there was plenty of reason before? McT is back, but surely that would only necessitate dropping one of them.
    Did he has other alternative? This is where you fail to understand and blindly questioning the manager's choice when he has no other choice.

The Boy

Supports
    Brighton and Hove Albion
    No mate you've misunderstood it. The question is why now, when there was plenty of reason before? McT is back, but surely that would only necessitate dropping one of them.
    I think before he didn't have a huge amount of choice, but with Bruno now in the squad and McT looking like he could make a return it becomes easier for him to drop two underperforming players. But I'd be surpised if McT is ready to ebcome a regular starter again, maybe needs to be eased back in.

But I guess he can do a midfield of Bruno, Matic and Fred, with Martial James and Mata up front with Ighalo and Greenwood able to come on as well. He probably played them during the week so as to give other members of the squad more rest time, thinking that the team could get away with it and luckily you did ... just!

Ole just has more options now.

Member 90887

To be fair, he's been persevering with the two of them for way too long. This should've probably come a while ago.
    What choice did he have ? Scott injured, Pogba Injured, Fred overplayed, Matic Overplayed. Bruno was just signed.

They had to be in the squad and for rotation purposes in the starting eleven from times to times.

Member 90887

I think before he didn't have a huge amount of choice, but with Bruno now in the squad and McT looking like he could make a return it becomes easier for him to drop two underperforming players. But I'd be surpised if McT is ready to ebcome a regular starter again, maybe needs to be eased back in.

But I guess he can do a midfield of Bruno, Matic and Fred, with Martial James and Mata up front with Ighalo and Greenwood able to come on as well. He probably played them during the week so as to give other members of the squad more rest time, thinking that the team could get away with it and luckily you did ... just!

Ole just has more options now.
    Common sens really, how people can't or don't want to understand that i don't know.

I like your posts by the way, (on different parts of the forum). it's good to have an unbiased view on things when the judgments of most of us are cloud by our bias for or against Ole.

w1thout

Ole is obviously going 4 at the back, with Dalot and Jones out of the squad.
    I can see Williams being given a rest after the not so good display in Belguim.
    I guess he wont feature Bailly in a back 4 just yet, so that's him on the bench.

Neither can I see McTominay starting just yet, i guess he'll sub him on with 20mins to go, and let him start on Thursday.

My guess would be :
    Ddg
    Awb, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw
    Matic, Fred
    Greenwood, Bruno, James
    Martial
    Bench: Romero, Williams, Bailly, McTominay, Gomes, Mata, Ighalo.

Chong to miss out as Gomes can cover the 3 behind the striker, as well as Fred's role.
    Glad to see Pereira and Lingard droped.

The Boy

Supports
    Brighton and Hove Albion
    Common sens really, how people can't or don't want to understand that i don't know.

I like your posts by the way, (on different parts of the forum). it's good to have an unbiased view on things when the judgments of most of us are cloud by our bias for or against Ole.
    Thank you :)

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
    DDG
    AWB Lindelöf Maguire Shaw Williams
    Matic Fred
    Bruno
    Ighalo Martial

3-1 (Ighalo, Fernandes, Greenwood - Deeney)

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
    It's quite bizarre actually. I didn't see the point of shoehorning 2 LBs into the same line-up into pretty much the same position but then seeing the average positional map just made me sad. Here it is vs Club Brugge. Dalot has the right idea but Brandon hasn't yet figured it out. He's probably also quite confused because Shaw keeps making the runs that he wants to make, making him think maybe he should be the one to drop back and cover for Shaw. It's all one big mess and needs to be sorted out if Ole continues to insist on this hack job of a 532.

Sums us up, we have 2 left backs and no right winger. :lol:

Thanks for sharing this though, it's quite interesting. We are definitely weaker on the left side defensively, teams do seem to target that side when facing us. Maybe that's a contributing factor to the average position.

Withnail

Ole has played them consistently all season long. To completely omit them from the squad entirely doesn't seem like something he would do.

I think it's fairly obvious now he was only playing them out of necessity.

Whatever people feel about Ole he's a good judge of player and it's clear these two aren't gonna cut it.

I'd say he'll ship them both out now the first chance he gets.

DRM

Can we really win 2 PL games on the bounce?! Its sorcery alright, but whatever gets the job done I say!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    Damn, is it not on SKY?
    No because they have a Scottish game early, then Arsenal v. Everton. They do that when they have a Monday Night game, which is Liverpool v. WHU. Our game and the Wolves game were rearranged games anyway.

-Supreme-

Confirmed United squad members

David de Gea, Sergio Romero, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Eric Bailly, Victor Lindelof, Harry Maguire, Brandon Williams, Luke Shaw, Scott McTominay, Fred, Nemanja Matic, Angel Gomes, Juan Mata, Tahith Chong, Daniel James, Bruno Fernandes, Mason Greenwood, Odion Ighalo, Anthony Martial

Think that is only 19, usually there is another goalie, so that would be 20. Those two will have sneaked in somehow.
    Great to see Lingard and Pereira are slowly being phased out of the squad with 2 new signings in January and players coming back from injuries.

We will play 2 at the back and will be interesting to see if Bailly gets the nod ahead of Lindelof

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    Can't find it in the listings, is no-one covering this game live?
    I think the game was initially scheduled for a Saturday but got moved to Sunday at some point due to Europa League conflicts. Might be why nobody is showing the game in the UK anywhere.

A-man

b​
    I think we will need Eric otherwise I cant see Lindelof taking on Troy. Boy versus man.
    Deeney has won second most aerials of forwards in PL this session and Bailly has been one of the worst CB in the air in the entire PL.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    c​
    b​

Deeney has won second most aerials of forwards in PL this session and Bailly has been one of the worst CB in the air in the entire PL.
    Lindelof is hardly any better.

A-man

I don’t think 352 necessarily is wrong for this team, just that Shaw plus Williams at the same time is wrong. Maybe try Bailly instead of Shaw.

flappyjay

McTominay and the addition of Bruno. If Pogba ever comes back they will be put out to pasture.

flappyjay

I don’t think 352 necessarily is wrong for this team, just that Shaw plus Williams at the same time is wrong. Maybe try Bailly instead of Shaw.
    It's not wrong Shaw is imitating Sheffields overlapping cb's, sort of like an attacking cb. I guess Williams hasn't figured where to be during that scenario

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 90% of 404 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 382 ratings.

Score Predictions