Kick-off
Sat, 27 September 2014 @ 3:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 88 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Smithy89

If Jones and Smalling could ever play more than about 5 games together back to back, we might not need to.
    But they never do. And they've been here a while now.

It gets to a point they either have to prove it, or we just sack them off and buy big.

I don't think we even need big signings just one in jan who can do the basics and doesn't get injured all the time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    I don't think we even need big signings just one in jan who can do the basics and doesn't get injured all the time.
    yeah big as in character/player rather than money I mean.

We've been spoilt in the past.
    Oh for those times when Van der Sar, Vidic and Ferdinand went sh!Tloads of games back to back with cleansheets.
    It's hard enough playing the same 3 players back to back now!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    If Jones and Smalling could ever play more than about 5 games together back to back, we might not need to.

It gets to a point they either have to prove it, or we just sack them off and buy big.
    Throw Evans in there too. I'd stick it out with Jones as he has shown the most IMO while being the youngest by far, but I think this season should be the last chance for the other two. Way too injury prone.

Football, Bloody Hell! Podcast Episode 7

Episode 7 of RedCafe's podcast is out now, entitled "Leicester Meltdown"

In it, Alex, Imran and Nik discuss our collapse at the King Power Stadium before looking to the future and the match against the revitalised West Ham United.

Listen below through the Soundcloud web player, or search for 'Redcasts' on the Soundcloud app where you can stream/download it.
    Also available through Itunes if you search for 'Football, Bloody Hell' and below is an RSS Link for all those who wish to listen to it through their podcast apps - and if you do that, be sure to subscribe!

Soundcloud (download/stream): Podomatic (stream/download): http://redcastpod.podomatic.com/entry/2014-09-24T10_13_59-07_00
    RSS Feed: http://redcastpod.podomatic.com/rss2.xml

Give us a follow on Twitter @Redcasts or on Facebook by searching for Football, Bloody Hell, or email us on redcastpod@gmail.com.

If you've got any comments or suggestions, post in the caf thread here.

Smithy89

yeah big as in character/player rather than money I mean.

We've been spoilt in the past.
    Oh for those times when Van der Sar, Vidic and Ferdinand went sh!Tloads of games back to back with cleansheets.
    It's hard enough playing the same 3 players back to back now!
    I know as a football fan it's not really in our nature to savour the moment but boy did i take the vidic/rio prime days for granted and scholes for that matter and the ronaldo days.

Ian Cramp

Will look forward to a few beers in Piccadilly Gardens before and after, might be the highlight of the day

Banana Rama

smalling has stiff legs, your avin' a giraffe, these injuries are getting right on my wick...

soapythecat

Yes the defence will be dodgy but we have so much quality elsewhere. Given the state of the defence I think we will see Rooney playing in the #10 role as he tracks back well - expect him quite deep. Shame, as I was hoping RVP would be dropped. Wouldn't be surprised to see us play 433.
    My predictions are always wrong....
    3-2 all day long.

FromTheBench

Need to remove Petrucci and add Mcnair i imagine in the lineup prediction thing?

Given the reports.

Banana Rama

If Thorpe comes into the team i have full confidence in him at this level, i have seen him for the reserves and trust me he is a quality player no question about. Rojo-Thorpe centre back duo for me is no problem, they are both top draw players in the making, more then good enough against West Ham United. I can't wait to see Di Maria, Falcao and Mata again on Saturday, they are easily my favourite players, come on the mighty red devils prediction: Manchester Untied 4 - 0 West Ham United :devil:

Syed15

For some reason, I feel we are going to keep a clean sheet

gasmanc

Banned

Jones is to haphazard with his own body, he seems to throw it into situations where he really need not. I know he's a brave lad an all but sometimes when he's just saved a throw in by charging 30 yards at full tilt and gave his hamstring a tweak in the process you really have to wonder if he will ever get a run of fitness.

minoo-utd

Any one has a clue what defenders can play mainly CBs?
    And is there will be links before the game? Can I find it here? Cos it won't be shown on BeIn sports.

Paul_Scholes18

I hope we use Valencia for defensive cover and play a classic 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 with Rooney and Falcao up front and Di Maria on the other wing with Shaw.

No doubt West Ham will attack on the wing and try to put crosses in which will at least give them corners where they will have a huge chance to score. Can't see Van Gaal adapting though and I think we will struggle.

Di Maria is as always now our hope he need to dominate even more so we can outscore them.

Red One

Jones is to haphazard with his own body, he seems to throw it into situations where he really need not. I know he's a brave lad an all but sometimes when he's just saved a throw in by charging 30 yards at full tilt and gave his hamstring a tweak in the process you really have to wonder if he will ever get a run of fitness.
    I agree with this. Jones comes across as a reckless player than brave one for me, he does some challenges that makes you wonder what the feck he's thinking doing that. those challenges can obviously sometimes be good but as you pointed these are the challenges that unfortunately will most likely prevent him from getting steady run of games that would eventually mean he fulfills his potential. I wouldn't mind seeing him cut most of his challenges if means his fitness level will improve. He should perhaps try to model his play and positioning after Rio who obviously was a brilliant defender but hardly ever made that many tackles. I know they're totally different CBs but still.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    I don't even think our defence is the main worry here. The midfield battle is where this game could be lost for us. di Maria has enough quality to deal with big physical presences, but I feel Blind and Herrera may be fairly supressed against the energy and strength of Kouyate, Song and co. Hopefully we take all our chances, because we really will create a few. Hoping for a 3-1 win.

J-Stander

I don't even think our defence is the main worry here. The midfield battle is where this game could be lost for us. di Maria has enough quality to deal with big physical presences, but I feel Blind and Herrera may be fairly supressed against the energy and strength of Kouyate, Song and co. Hopefully we take all our chances, because we really will create a few. Hoping for a 3-1 win.
    Kouyate is out, which is a boost for us. They definitely still have enough firepower to seriously trouble us though.

DWelbz19

Kouyate is out, which is a boost for us. They definitely still have enough firepower to seriously trouble us though.
    Really? That's great news indeed. Yeah, I agree, but watching Liverpool, whilst they did create a lot of chances, they were fairly wasteful. They aren't as well drilled and fully oiled as Leicester were, nor do they seem to have the cohesion and fitness. Sakho and Valencia are a bit of a menace, but the latter was fairly poor in his decision making and was pretty wasteful.

gasmanc

Banned
    I agree with this. Jones comes across as a reckless player than brave one for me, he does some challenges that makes you wonder what the feck he's thinking doing that. those challenges can obviously sometimes be good but as you pointed these are the challenges that unfortunately will most likely prevent him from getting steady run of games that would eventually mean he fulfills his potential. I wouldn't mind seeing him cut most of his challenges if means his fitness level will improve. He should perhaps try to model his play and positioning after Rio who obviously was a brilliant defender but hardly ever made that many tackles. I know they're totally different CBs but still.
    Unfortunately Jones hasn't had a enough games in the CB position, even when he was getting a good run of games (under SAF) it was out of position in midfield or covering for others. He has to learn to play with his head but he seems more like a Vidic type CB than a Rio, if he is to succeed here he needs a calm influence next to him which looking across our options means opening that cheque book again, I do like Jones though, he's probably our best CB when fit.

Louis van Gaal on: Leicester City game

"I don't think my players are robots. They are human beings and humans make errors. I am a manager who always wants to evaluate, discuss and so on and that's the way I do it. I have done it this week also."

Louis van Gaal on: injuries

"I have to admit I have never been in this situation before so that is strange and what I have also said at former press conferences so for me it is difficult to understand because we are evaluating what we can do in a different way but you have to train on a certain level because otherwise you cannot play again. I have already said that I have adapted to a certain level but I cannot train lower because then you cannot perform in the right way.

"But yes, we have a lot of injuries. Nine injuries now, one suspended (Blackett) so that means ten are out so I have to - and that's a good signal - go to the youth education and pick players.

"I have said also in former press conferences because that is the vacancy and the younger players can take their chances now and that is also the policy of this club. I have read that differently in the media but it's like that.

"I don't know how long Evans and Smalling will be out for but with Evans his bone is bruised a lot and we have to wait and see how it goes. With Smalling, during yesterday's training session, he pulled out with stiff legs so we have to see what that means. I don't take risks with players. You have to be fit and I always trust in younger players."

Louis van Gaal on: whether young players are ready

"They are always ready. They have hunger to play the game and Manchester United youth education has a certain level that can provide that.

"It's a big difference (from youth to the Premier League) but in one game you can show yourself a bit better than regularly."

Louis van Gaal on: getting an aura back at Old Trafford

"It's very important. It's a question you already know the answer to. It's very important to win your home matches. I cannot deny that."

Louis van Gaal on: if Manchester United is the toughest job

"At this moment, maybe, but you have to see in one year and not one week. We have nine injuries and a red card. I don't think you can judge that effectively.

"As a manager in advance you know it is a big challenge and this club is in a transition. You don't know in advance what the difficult moments. You have to see because when we started we won everything and in difficult circumstances. Now we are again in difficult circumstances and we can win."

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
    Supports
    Liverpool
    Really? That's great news indeed. Yeah, I agree, but watching Liverpool, whilst they did create a lot of chances, they were fairly wasteful. They aren't as well drilled and fully oiled as Leicester were, nor do they seem to have the cohesion and fitness. Sakho and Valencia are a bit of a menace, but the latter was fairly poor in his decision making and was pretty wasteful.
    Valencia was kept relatively quiet by a decent defender - Manquillo. He has the potential to cause real trouble. As does Sakho against an overweight Shaw.

This game could feasibly finish with the same scoreline as Leicester, and with the same result.

DWelbz19

Valencia was kept relatively quiet by a decent defender - Manquillo. He has the potential to cause real trouble. As does Sakho against an overweight Shaw.

This game could feasibly finish with the same scoreline as Leicester, and with the same result.
    No chance. :lol: He ran riot all game, and if it wasn't for him attempting to shoot at every opportunity instead of opting for wise passes, could've made the score even worse than it was. The bitterness is seaping through your post, mate. Come on.

khoazany

Nine injuries?I supposed they are:Smalling,Jones,Evans,Young,James,Carrick,one of the GK(Johnstone?),Anderson(you know he'll injure himself again at some point) and Fellani.

Given that my squad would be:
    De Gea
    Rafael - Thorpe - Rojo - Shaw
    Blind - Fletcher - Herrera (extra protection for the defence)
    Di Maria
    Rooney - Falcao
    Subs: Lindegaard,Valencia,Mata,Januzaj,RVP,McNair,Pereira

Last edited:

FromTheBench

Nine injuries?I supposed they are:Smalling,Jones,Evans,Young,James,Carrick,one of the GK(Johnstone?),Anderson(you know he'll injure himself again at some point) and Fellani.

Given that my squad would be:
    De Gea
    Rafael - Thorpe - Rojo - Shaw
    Blind - Fletcher - Herrera (extra protection for the defence)
    Di Maria
    Rooney - Falcao
    Subs: Lindegaard,Valencia,Mata,Januzaj,RVP,McNair,Pereira
    Wilson might be injured too ?

khoazany

Wilson might be injured too ?
    I think either Anderson or Wilson is injured but both of them are unlikely to be on the bench (Anderson seems to be below Pereira in the pecking order).You need to have balance on the bench especially given our injuries.

kundalini

We need RVP to head clear corners and wide free-kicks, especially against West Ham. For all his underwhelming attacking performances, he still contributes quite a bit defensively at set-pieces.

JSMHE

Is LVG really going to use youth or is he going to use Fletcher or Blind as a centre back instead?
    I prefer us to see LVG picked the youth though. But I kinda think that press conference talk (about giving our youth player chance) could be his mind game against WHU. I think one of our youth CB will be at least on the bench.

Red One

Is LVG really going to use youth or is he going to use Fletcher or Blind as a centre back instead?
    I prefer us to see LVG picked the youth though. But I kinda think that press conference talk (about giving our youth player chance) could be his mind game against WHU. I think one of our youth CB will be at least on the bench.
    I think he said in his presser that he will call up one of the youth players. Tom Thrope or Patrick Mcnair will mostly likely partner Rojo in defence and I wouldn't be surprised to see the other one on the bench since those three will be the only CBs fit for Saturday's game.

JSMHE

I think he said in his presser that he will call up one of the youth players. Tom Thrope or Patrick Mcnair will mostly likely partner Rojo in defence and I wouldn't be surprised to see the other one on the bench since those three will be the only CBs fit for Saturday's game.
    That's what I'm trying to say, I think it is just his mind games. A big surprise that he revealed his plan to call up the youth players. I wonder if Tom or Patrick can communicate each other with Rojo during the game. Seems won't be a good paired partnership. But I'm really looking forward LVG gives Tom and Patrick chance.

khoazany

That's what I'm trying to say, I think it is just his mind games. A big surprise that he revealed his plan to call up the youth players. I wonder if Tom or Patrick can communicate each other with Rojo during the game. Seems won't be a good paired partnership. But I'm really looking forward LVG gives Tom and Patrick chance.
    Mind games?As if we have better option there.Hilarious that some think Blind or Fletcher will do a better job as CB than someone who's actually a CB.

I'm slightly concerned about the communication part as you said but I think LVG has time to sort it out in training.

JSMHE

Mind games?As if we have better option there.Hilarious that some think Blind or Fletcher will do a better job as CB than someone who's actually a CB.

I'm slightly concerned about the communication part as you said but I think LVG has time to sort it out in training.
    I think you are missing my point about mind games, Blind and Fletcher. I also don't think they are good enough especially Blind. Blind can play as a CB but in EPL he will most likely got bullied.
    As for mind game, it's a possibility to let WHU players to think that we will use "kid". LVG might prefer more experience than inexperience players.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 499 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw