Manchester United wages hit Premier League record £384.2m in 2021-22

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I thought we chopped a big load of wages this summer?

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
I thought we chopped a big load of wages this summer?
Even next year's wage bill with the CL reduction kicking in, our CFO Cliff Batty said that the wage bill is only forecasted to reduced in the teens of millions. So much for our financial experts forecasting reductions of £60-£100m off the wage bill.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We spent £24.7m on exceptional items. £14.7m of which was in the 3 month to June when Solskjaer was long gone (but Rangnick wasn't!).

Our wage bill is scandalous.
It is. But Rangnick had to be paid for two years' consultancy that was scrapped, with perhaps a nice non-disclosure clause. That was the carrot he was offered at the start, else he wouldn't have joined. We saw how tricky it was to get coaches in when Carrick and McKenna left.

Leftback99

It is. But Rangnick had to be paid for two years' consultancy that was scrapped, with perhaps a nice non-disclosure clause. That was the carrot he was offered at the start, else he wouldn't have joined. We saw how tricky it was to get coaches in when Carrick and McKenna left.
If we did really pay Rangnick even half of that to get rid, given it doesn't even include his actual wages, the money burnt (possibly £20m?) on his 6 month stint is as bad as any business we've done in the last 10 years.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Even next year's wage bill with the CL reduction kicking in, our CFO Cliff Batty said that the wage bill is only forecasted to reduced in the teens of millions. So much for our financial experts forecasting reductions of £60-£100m off the wage bill.
I guess thats natural with inflation and we have signed new players this summer too.

Ronaldo's wage bill will make a pretty large swing in that alone. We do need to get a grip with it though, way too many average squad players on insane wages.

finneh

In fairness I'd imagine most people assumed Ronaldo would leave (-£27m) and also that we wouldn't have added as much salary burden as we did this Summer (c. £45m).

I'm guessing next Summer will see costs cut more drastically with Ronaldo leaving likely at least offsetting all of the transfer business we do.

On top of that De Gea likely seeing a heavily reduced salary (or leaving), plus several of the likes of Maguire, AWB, Jones, Bailly, Shaw, Williams, VDB, Tuanzebe, Fred, Henderson, Telles, Greenwood etc coming off the payroll.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If we did really pay Rangnick even half of that to get rid, given it doesn't even include his actual wages, the money burnt (possibly £20m?) on his 6 month stint is as bad as any business we've done in the last 10 years.
It's par for the course really. We've mismanaged funds for the last 9 years. I'd say getting stuck with Alexis on that mega deal, dishing out 250 to Rooney when he was past it, paying 80m for Maguire, extending the deals for Jones, not selling Lingard, bumping up de Gea's deal, and rewarding Ole with a new deal months before sacking him are all instances of terrible management.

With Rangnick it's what, 14m compensation for him and his merry band of coaches, most of which probably goes to his consultancy business over the contracted two years that were cancelled. With him at least there was no holding back and almost impossible to carry on business as normal. I think he made ETH work easier in that respect, a guy who had savaged the squad repeatedly before ETH was installed. I mean, ETH had to push to get more action in the window, the protests and the two losses doubtless helped, but the reporting is we set our stall with a much smaller budget to begin with. So from that perspective, I think it's money better spent as it spelled out in no uncertain terms that we were/are miles off seriously challenging and that we've been woeful in the market. Think his tenure was worth it for that alone.

RopersReturn

Hah with the mismanagement we’ve had over the past decade, if there’s a record to broken then I’ll bet we’ve beaten it.

Last edited:

Leftback99

It's par for the course really. We've mismanaged funds for the last 9 years. I'd say getting stuck with Alexis on that mega deal, dishing out 250 to Rooney when he was past it, paying 80m for Maguire, extending the deals for Jones, not selling Lingard, bumping up de Gea's deal, and rewarding Ole with a new deal months before sacking him are all instances of terrible management.

With Rangnick it's what, 14m compensation for him and his merry band of coaches, most of which probably goes to his consultancy business over the contracted two years that were cancelled. With him at least there was no holding back and almost impossible to carry on business as normal. I think he made ETH work easier in that respect, a guy who had savaged the squad repeatedly before ETH was installed. I mean, ETH had to push to get more action in the window, the protests and the two losses doubtless helped, but the reporting is we set our stall with a much smaller budget to begin with. So from that perspective, I think it's money better spent as it spelled out in no uncertain terms that we were/are miles off seriously challenging and that we've been woeful in the market. Think his tenure was worth it for that alone.
£15m? on Ighalo, £20m? Cavani both for barely any output, the list goes on.

I thought Rangnick was a disaster from start to finish myself that we gained nothing from. Even more so now.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
£15m? on Ighalo, £20m? Cavani both for barely any output, the list goes on.

I thought Rangnick was a disaster from start to finish myself that we gained nothing from. Even more so now.
Yeah, the list goes on. I can't argue with the level of our football under Rangnick. But there were a lot of things wrong with that dressing room and it had already begun that season. I'd rather have had the season we had and not papered over any cracks in order for the new man (in this case, ETH) to be afforded the courtesy of not being bullshitted with some thing about them all being fantastic players. It's this inverse logic of if you are at a top club you must be great, whereas that's very often not the case. We've spent too much time and too much money chasing losses, so if the new manager were to come in with the remit of getting a tune out of our amazing squad that would just be more pissing against the wind. Thankfully it took him two matches to make some major decisions and it seems he's pressing for more additions in January while the club (Murtough) are talking down those expectations.

It needed someone to come in and speak as candidly as Rangnick did. I find it hard to measure what was on him and what was on the players last season as no player comes out of that season with anything other than a major deficit. Rangnick could have stuck to his tactical principles and he should have (which would have meant making some big decisions) but I thought when he went no holds barred on the eve of our game at Anfield it was a no-brainer. The team just did not perform and it's either you prove him wrong and you confirm everything he's been saying, with them doing the latter.

I shudder to think if we had finished 5th or even 4th with a better short-term manager and we'd still be thinking we're just a couple of players off seriously challenging. We needed to see it clear as day that we were miles off. But the football I will grant you was horrific.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It should be much lower now which is what matters. Even moreso once Ronaldo leaves.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
And we wonder why most people coming to united feel like they just won a jackpot. And they do exactly what lottery winners do. Stop going to work, spend on craps and just relax.

little.triangles

:wenger: Ronaldo and Sanchez will bog us down for years. We were offering Pogba 300k plus to renew ffs. We are the worst.
This is why we must remember that nothing has changed at the club. Pogba left because he didn't want to be here and not because we were proactive about what we needed to do. Our window was a farce too, going from trying to get Arnautovic and Rabbiot to getting Casemiro and Antony after getting thrashed by Brentford. We could have got them for 50m less earlier in the window.

Now, Murtough has already gone against EtH publicly by saying there will be no additions in January when we are still in need of a striker and a RB. This is directly because of how much we overpaid in the summer. The incompetence is staggering.

Opposition fans argue that the Glazers have spent a billion pounds over the past decade, and some retort that our stadium is falling apart. The real argument against the Glazers is how they have spent the club's money, by having an abysmal transfer stratergy that blows money on expensive duds and high wages for dross players. That alone warrants a change in ownership.

If EtH succeeds, it will be inspite of the club.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

RC89

We have fans that get annoyed by others who worry about transfer fees and salary, the 'it's not my money' type.

We as fans should be worried about extortionate fees for transfers and salaries. Spending over £1bn in the last decade with the highest wage bill isn't sustainable, particularly with so few on field successes. It could financially hinder the club for years to come if we don't get on top of it.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yeah, the list goes on. I can't argue with the level of our football under Rangnick. But there were a lot of things wrong with that dressing room and it had already begun that season. I'd rather have had the season we had and not papered over any cracks in order for the new man (in this case, ETH) to be afforded the courtesy of not being bullshitted with some thing about them all being fantastic players. It's this inverse logic of if you are at a top club you must be great, whereas that's very often not the case. We've spent too much time and too much money chasing losses, so if the new manager were to come in with the remit of getting a tune out of our amazing squad that would just be more pissing against the wind. Thankfully it took him two matches to make some major decisions and it seems he's pressing for more additions in January while the club (Murtough) are talking down those expectations.

It needed someone to come in and speak as candidly as Rangnick did. I find it hard to measure what was on him and what was on the players last season as no player comes out of that season with anything other than a major deficit. Rangnick could have stuck to his tactical principles and he should have (which would have meant making some big decisions) but I thought when he went no holds barred on the eve of our game at Anfield it was a no-brainer. The team just did not perform and it's either you prove him wrong and you confirm everything he's been saying, with them doing the latter.

I shudder to think if we had finished 5th or even 4th with a better short-term manager and we'd still be thinking we're just a couple of players off seriously challenging. We needed to see it clear as day that we were miles off. But the football I will grant you was horrific.
Rangnick's ludicrous wages and pay off were not a necessary price to pay for that. You could have made the tea lady the head coach and achieved a similar effect.

Dannn411

This is what a decade of horrendous decision making can do to you. Putting grossly unqualified people in critical decision making positions, making major decisions on the basis of sentiment, etc. Highest wage bill in the entire league but were one of the worst teams in the league for most of the season.

And judging by the haphazard way our summer business was conducted, not much has changed.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
We have fans that get annoyed by others who worry about transfer fees and salary, the 'it's not my money' type.

We as fans should be worried about extortionate fees for transfers and salaries. Spending over £1bn in the last decade with the highest wage bill isn't sustainable, particularly with so few on field successes. It could financially hinder the club for years to come if we don't get on top of it.
Exactly, and massively affects our ability to fix up OT.

Zippycup

What worries me more than anything is how mismanaged we are as a club. It’s so bad that the cynic in me is saying it’s being done on purpose. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the club is the front of a criminal origination.

How on Earth can a business make bad decision after bad decision yet still allow the owners to take out dividends but also allow those that make said decisions to not only keep their jobs but to be given large bonuses for a 'job well done'. If this was any other business I’ve no doubt that they would be investigated for criminal activity.

LoneStar

Even if Ronaldo leaves next season or even in the winter break, our wages are still super high.

The money we reportedly give to Sancho (350k), Rashford and Martial (200-250k each) and DDG (250k?) is insane. Plus, we reportedly are paying guys like Varane and now Casemiro very high wages too. All well and good when it translates to good on the field performances, which will attract more fans and sponsors. But in our current state, this is bonkers.

And no wonder all these young players start to lose motivation so soon. It's one thing giving players like Ronaldo and his ex-Madrid colleagues high wages (within limits of course). They have won it all, and have proven their success. Totally different to giving the likes of Sancho, Martial and Rashford such high wages. They'll have no motivation to perform in their 20s.

Edit - Also has the secondary effect of making it difficult to move any of them out of the club. Forget good transfer fees, we'd be lucky to get half of what we paid for most of our players.

mikeyt

Ronaldo, De Gea and Maguire off the wage bill next summer will save us about £50million a year given between them they're taking home about £1million a week. The rest of the squad are all going to be on at least £4million a year so any additional sales / releases should save that or more.

Zippycup

Ronaldo, De Gea and Maguire off the wage bill next summer will save us about £50million a year given between them they're taking home about £1million a week. The rest of the squad are all going to be on at least £4million a year so any additional sales / releases should save that or more.
Those players will have to be replaced. It wont be cheap to replace them in transfer and wage cost

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
What makes you think Maguire will be oof the next summer? Don’t think we will be able to sell him.

adkb

Sorry, but does anyone know if Greenwood is still getting paid?