Manchester United wages hit Premier League record £384.2m in 2021-22

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Rangnick's ludicrous wages and pay off were not a necessary price to pay for that. You could have made the tea lady the head coach and achieved a similar effect.
The tea lady would be thanking her lucky stars for being in that position and would be overwhelmed by how fantastically well run club we are. We needed a character to come in who thinks he knows better. We weren't going to tempt any serious candidate with a few month contract with no assurances of anything else, and no budget for the January window. It's just not realistic in the slightest.

Gordon Godot

What worries me more than anything is how mismanaged we are as a club. It’s so bad that the cynic in me is saying it’s being done on purpose. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the club is the front of a criminal origination.

How on Earth can a business make bad decision after bad decision yet still allow the owners to take out dividends but also allow those that make said decisions to not only keep their jobs but to be given large bonuses for a 'job well done'. If this was any other business I’ve no doubt that they would be investigated for criminal activity.
The owners get a nice annual income and sit on a gain of billions. They dont care about anything else. It seems crazy and one logical conclusion is they are lazy and stupid.

ExecutionerWasp001

I thought Rangnick was a disaster from start to finish myself that we gained nothing from. Even more so now.
My take on it too. He advised the Glazers that most of the players needed to go & we needed to start buying younger hungry players. All we did was shift a few fringe players. We then offered Pogba a new contract & signed Casemiro. Casemiro may turn out to be a good signing, on the other hand, his legs could be gone in a couple of seasons & we've wasted £60 Mill. The Glazers paid him a fortune & haven't listened to a word he said.

Abraxas

It's trickier to get out of this wages mess than people think. There seemed to be this very simplistic expectation that just because the likes of Pogba, Matic, Lingard, Mata etc were to leave, we'd see a substantial difference moving forward.

The reality is we won't, not any time soon. It would require a slow overhaul that will take years to come to fruition. Firstly you have to buy new players to replace everyone, which is a big initial cost and then they have an expectation of being paid like the footballer that demands such a fee. They're also fully aware of what our squad gets paid and then to attract them we have to offer on a similar level. Agents get hold of that stuff so then you either pay it or you don't, and then you're not getting the player the club wants.

It can be done of course, but it requires careful consideration of every incoming, and every renewal. It would require some pain of letting players go, some on free transfers, which would then have people saying we're a terrible selling club. We'd have to accept missing some targets too, which would also cause complaints.

It's not something we'll solve in a couple of windows and with the likes of Varane and Casemiro it doesn't look like wage savings are a big priority.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
How so? It doesn't seem fair to me. I mean i'm sure he is atleast getting a massive paycut!
A person first needs to be found guilty of something. Otherwise you'd have miscarriages of justice as a standard thing. Someone accuses someone of something and that's all it takes. Pretty much how Corbyn was ousted from political influence. Anyhow, due process is a good thing. Sponsors on the other hand have other avenues, they only require optics to change and they can - it seems - cancel contracts. With full time employers thankfully you have that due process.

3vra

Seriously, you are writing that kind of article trying to be accurate with xx.xx% being mentioned, writing about additional 200 mil spent on new players and how they would increase the salary bill even more but not a single mention that we just get rid of Cavani, Lingard, Matic, Pogba, Mata, Telles, Pereira, Garner and few more so that is more then 1 milion in wages out of the bill, so more then 50 mil for the season. Why even bother with all that stats if you are being so biased and focusing only on that bad side.

adkb

A person first needs to be found guilty of something. Otherwise you'd have miscarriages of justice as a standard thing. Someone accuses someone of something and that's all it takes. Pretty much how Corbyn was ousted from political influence. Anyhow, due process is a good thing. Sponsors on the other hand have other avenues, they only require optics to change and they can - it seems - cancel contracts. With full time employers thankfully you have that due process.
I am not even talking about his case. I'm saying the lad ain't playing. I completely understand that law takes its course, but here he ain't playing squat so i am pretty certain there should be some sort of salary reduction.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
We won't know how large a problem this until the Q1 financials for this season.

Imagine if we could have gotten rid of Ronaldo too, regardless that should happen in the summer at the very latest.

I maintain Woodward's 'management' was the biggest issue, with him gone I have to hope we're not being morons.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I am not even talking about his case. I'm saying the lad ain't playing. I completely understand that law takes its course, but here he ain't playing squat so i am pretty certain there should be some sort of salary reduction.
Why? That’s not standard to put that clause in contracts. Only a pay as play type deal for players who have had bad injuries. What you are suggesting would be illegal

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If there are things like goal bonuses and appearance bonuses in his contract he obviously won't be getting them. But they would probably be a fairly small contribution so won't be making much impact.

cyril C

Sorry, but does anyone know if Greenwood is still getting paid?
Why do you think he is NOT getting paid? Greenwood is still on contract, don't know why the legal case drag on for so long, but until he is convicted or free, he is being paid WFH.

cyril C

First of all, when people claim the Club is not spending enough, this dis-approve it. We spent alot, just by the wrong people on the wrong players. Not sure we have turned the corner, but we still have some more work to do. Still some deadwood that forgotten to get rid, 30m rookie that is not a sure starter in Championship football, players that are too expensive to offload.

Tallis

We can start by not renewing Ronaldo and DDG next summer. Then there is half a dozen players that can be sold without loosing much squad depth

The_Midfielder

My take on it too. He advised the Glazers that most of the players needed to go & we needed to start buying younger hungry players. All we did was shift a few fringe players. We then offered Pogba a new contract & signed Casemiro. Casemiro may turn out to be a good signing, on the other hand, his legs could be gone in a couple of seasons & we've wasted £60 Mill. The Glazers paid him a fortune & haven't listened to a word he said.
He did nothing.. He was useless..
The Brentford loss made the owners look up and take notice..

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
This is worrying. We've shifted Matic, Mata, Pogba and Cavani and yet the wages are still reportedly high.

I wouldn't trust the fact that we're the top in the country at paying wages though. City surely pay their players more, even if you consider that their players are on performances based incentives.

Kostov

I can't stop but worry of our reckless money throwing around. No company can sustain reckless spending and bad management.