Manchester United will never score from a corner ever again

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
:lol:

We are generally shit a corners though. Feels like this type of thread pops up every week.

binary bot
It's the area that makes me think we're run by idiots the most. We should have 3 or 4 players attacking the ball in a pretty central position. Basically trying to hide Maguire among the numbers. Instead we're isolating him at the back post, making him challenge a big lofted ball with no pace on it. It took us about 4 or 5 games at the start of the season to stop the attempted knockdowns.

El Zoido

What are our actual stats on corners? ie. goals scored direct from a corner over the past 10 years?

Falcow

What are the stats on our corners? I reckon we have conceded more than we have scored in the last couple of years? Shocking really

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
What are the stats on our corners? I reckon we have conceded more than we have scored in the last couple of years? Shocking really
It's not even close. This season alone we've conceded around 7 and not scored any (I dont think)

OverratedOpinion

The OP is right, we have been extremely poor at corners this season. Probably be an idea to stop aiming every single one at Maguire.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You scored two v us (Villa game). Game was all of 14 days ago...

Some of these threads....:annoyed:
You know full well the point is ball into the box direct from the corner onto someone's head straight into the back of the net, none of this short corner or second phase nonesense

soralapio

It really is remarkable. The coaching teams change, the players change, the tactics change, but one thing doesn't change: United are crap at corners. Taking them, and defending them. It would be extremely interesting to dig into this more, and try to figure out what is the source of the problems.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We were brilliant from corners from 2006-2011. We then had a brief period of being good at them in 2012/13. We have been utter shite at them ever since. 6 years.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
You know full well the point is ball into the box direct from the corner onto someone's head straight into the back of the net, none of this short corner or second phase nonesense
Well corner is awarded and ten seconds later cross comes and is headed in. I'd say that's scoring from a corner regardless of whether it's taken short or just hit straight into the box.

charlenefan

Well corner is awarded and ten seconds later cross comes and is headed in. I'd say that's scoring from a corner regardless of whether it's taken short or just hit straight into the box.
In the context of this discussion you're wrong

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
In the context of this discussion you're wrong
Is it not classed as a set piece goal then, curious? Surely it's similar as when Scholes scored all those long range screamers from outside the box it was always described as Scholes scoring from a corner.

charlenefan

Is it not classed as a set piece goal then, curious? Surely it's similar as when Scholes scored all those long range screamers from outside the box it was always described as Scholes scoring from a corner.
I don't know what it's officially classed as all I know is in the context of this thread and those on the same subject previously the OP is referring to one ball into the box onto the head of someone straight from the corner flag

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't know what it's officially classed as all I know is in the context of this thread and those on the same subject previously the OP is referring to one ball into the box onto the head of someone straight from the corner flag
Fair enough. :lol: For what it's worth I dislike short corners. Much prefer inswinger whipped in to six yard box. Given the way Lindelof finished his goal I'm surprised he dosen't get on the end of corners more...well Man. United ones.

charlenefan

Fair enough. :lol: For what it's worth I dislike short corners. Much prefer inswinger whipped in to six yard box. Given the way Lindelof finished his goal I'm surprised he dosen't get on the end of corners more...well Man. United ones.
We've been crap at corners for as long as I've watched Man Utd, even when Beckham was here we didn't score many. In more recent years though we've had Jones, Shaw and now Fred all first choice takers so it's no wonder now :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We've been crap at corners for as long as I've watched Man Utd, even when Beckham was here we didn't score many. In more recent years though we've had Jones, Shaw and now Fred all first choice takers so it's no wonder now :lol:
Maybe my mind's playing tricks but always thought Vidic was a beast on them although maybe scored more at the start of his time than towards end of his career.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Corners are quite hard to score from though aren't they? At the top level anyway.

Most reasonable defences can block/head things away.

We have Maguire, one of the best defenders in the air, and we're still not looking particularly likely to score.
And we didn't in that fabled "beast" Mourinho team, with Fellaini, Pogba, Lukaku, Smalling etc

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Doesn't help that the delivery is usually erratic. It really isn't difficult to get someone to take them accurately.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Can remember Pallister scoring two in a game at Liverpool which was very pleasing. Pretty sure they were both corners.

sugar_kane

But seriously very few teams score from corners these days, don't have the stats to hand but it's embarrassingly low across the board considering the attacking team is suppose to have the advantage.
yep - and it’s mad how footy fans continue to go nuts every time their team wins one like they’ve won a last minute penalty.

a corner is essentially a cross from a very tight angle where both teams have been given the opportunity to precisely position as many men in the box as they like.

we are especially shit at them but as the poster quoted mentions, the conversion rate is fairly low across the board.