Manuel Locatelli - One to watch

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Manuel Locatelli is a 23 year old midfielder playing for Sassuolo and Italy. He has not received much attention outside of Italy (I think?), but I feel confident that is about to change.

He startet out at Milan, but moved to Sassuolo in 2018 on a loan to get more games. The move was made permanent in 2019 and he has not looked back since. I think he was always considered a big talent as name pops on quite a few old articles about young talents. He was also heavily capped for Italy at U17, U19 and U21 (not sure I have ever seen someone with more caps at this level).

I first noticed him at Sassuolo and liked him right from the start. But has really developed since then and since I dont watch that much Serie A-football I always get impressed of how much he continues to improve.
I would argue that he probably is among the top five midfielders in the top 5 leagues in Europe in terms of passing. He stands out in a number of metrics.

While not a very interesting stat, there is only three midfielders who makes more passes per 90 min; N’Zonzi, Rodri and Frenkie. He is followed by Parejo and Henderson. In my opinion this is a group of players that constitute a nice benchmark when you want to look into a midfielder’s ability as a passer.
His completion rate at 86,9 % is a bit lower than the rest of the midfielders, with the exception of Henderson (85,8 %). Compared to Nzonzi and Rodri both Henderson and Locatelli appears to be more attacking and progressive in their passing.

Each pass on average travel the following distance (yards) for each player. I’ve also added the number of yards forward they move the ball for each pass;

Nzonzi - 19,3 - 5,11
Frenkie - 17,25 - 4,87
Rodri - 20,5 - 4,38
Parejo - 19,8 - 5,85
Henderson - 20,2 - 5,38
Locatelli - 19,2 - 5,37

There is not much between them and the only outlier is Rodri. He do not move the ball forward much compared to the others. (There could be a number of good reasons.)
Among these players only Henderson completes more passes into the penalty box and into the final third than Locatelli. You could argue that Henderson benefits from playing in a better and more attacking team. Both Parejo and Frenkie comes really close too! (Passes into the final third first, then into the penalty area, from open play only.)

Nzonzi - 8,3 - 0,19
Frenkie - 6,73 - 1,11
Rodri - 8,09 - 0,64
Parejo - 7,59 - 0,89
Henderson - 12,8 - 1,83
Locatelli - 8,78 - 1,16

The numbers, of course, only give you part of the story. They are influenced by the quality and style of the team they play for and the task they are given. The same is obviously the case when watching a player play. But I like the combination, watching the player play and looking into their numbers to test my hypothesis.

The big difference between Locatelli and our midfielders is the amount of passes they make per 90 min, and the amount of passes per 90 min they make into the penalty box. While I initially said that the amount of passes is not an interesting stat, it can tell you something. Keane, Scholes, Xavi, Pirlo etc always came out on top of that statistic. Why? Because they made themself available for a pass and their team preferred building through them.

My impression of Locatelli is that he, like several of the other midfielders I compared him to, is a «ball metronome». Someone who absorbs the ball, and distribute it quick and efficiently with purpose. A player who would improve our build up play and transistion from defence to attack vastly. We used to have midfielders like that in the middle of the pitch. Scholes, Carrick, Keane and Robson to name a few. We hoped Pogba could be a player like that but he just could not do that. Maybe he can, but its just not him. He wants to express himself. Be creative. And to do that he need to be able to take risk.

The amount of passes and touches Locatelli has makes him a dominating midfielder in (the deeper area of the) midfield. But it is not just that. Locatelli is not another Jorginho. He is a tough, aggressive and physical midfielder who is really good at protecting the defence. And he is a vocal leader on the pitch. I could make that case by showing you his heat map and defensive metrics like tackles and interceptions. But since football is a lot more entertaining than numbers, I suggest that anyone who would like to enjoy a really good midfielder try to check him out for Sassuolo or Italy.

The fact that he is a dominating force at such a young age, 23 on friday (Happy Birthday), in a very competetive league makes him one hell of a prospect. The fact that he plays in Sassuolo, probably making him available, should make alarm bells go off. I’m sure we will see him at Juventus soon.

Last edited:

piesel

Today his agent basically said that he's going to Juve in the summer.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
€40m price tag

Plays on a team that averages one of the highest possession % in europe

Really good player though! Even doing really really well for Italy, so he's got personality and (probably) won't wilt under pressure at a big club. Every big italian club wants him but he's expensive

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
My Milan fan workmates used to think he was going to be great when he was there so I was surprised they sold him. Probably want him back now

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Seems he likes to dribble alot too, even on his own half...

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
I don't watch Sassuolo a lot but he was very good for our NT in the UEFA Nations League, probably MoTM in Netherland against a very good side.
For sure I'll watch him tonight vs Juventus.

Anyway it's curious how here in Italy € 40 million sounds expensive (only 3-4 clubs could afford Locatelli) while in England every Premier League club can easily spend that much for a single player (not only PL top 6 but also Everton/Richarlison, Leicester City/Tielemans, West Ham/Haller, Newcastle/Joelinton or Wolverhampton/Fabio Silva)

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Very interesting player @andersj . Just watched some highlights and he has great ability to keep the ball under pressure (Pogba like) and he likes to dribble a bit (probably a little too much if he came to the EPL). Some nice and penetrative and creative passing forward which is always a big bonus. The videos I watched just didn’t showcase his long range passing and defensive play (tackling and intercepts) much. Is he best as a CM (8) or DM (6), in your opinion?

Gandalf

I think Juve would have already done the deal but they are desperate to free up some cash first. I bet they were cheering Rambo on today as he is definitely one they would love to sell and more importantly a wage they would like off their books.

RUCK4444

Di Marzio keeps mentioning Juve’s interest in him.
Yeah I thought I'd seen him linked with a move. What's he like defensively, he could be a better option than Rice if he pings passes like tonight and does a good job defensively.

I've not seen a lot of him at all.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Yeah I thought I'd seen him linked with a move. What's he like defensively, he could be a better option than Rice if he pings passes like tonight and does a good job defensively.

I've not seen a lot of him at all.
He's exactly what we need, he's been playing in a double pivot for Sassuolo in a 4-2-3-1, plays next to Maxime Lopez who's not as defensively-minded in the pair. He's had a lot of comparisons to Pirlo, I see it but he's more mobile and physical in his style, simply put, he's just very complete. His defensive stats are better than the likes of Lucas, Bakayoko who are much more limited and defensively minded players. Don't think we're in the market for him sadly.

Last edited:

Dazzmondo

I want Locatelli in a Utd midfield. I don't even care if we need other positions strengthened more. He's SOOOOO GOOD!

RUCK4444

He's exactly what we need, he's been playing in a double pivot for Sassuolo in a 4-2-3-1. He's had a lot of comparisons to Pirlo, I see it but he's more mobile and physical in his style, simply put, he's just very complete. His defensive stats are better than the likes of Lucas, Bakayoko who are much more limited and defensively minded players. Don't think we're in the market for him sadly.

Sounds a real talent, very frustrating if we aren't seriously looking at players like this.

We really have to get the DM position sorted, we are filling gaps over the pitch but I honestly feel we will huff and puff and not truly see the benefit of these other signings until we have sorted the base of our midfield properly.

bucky

Watch from 0:39, he does that regularly. Especially that pass at 0:58, we only have Pogba capable of doing that.

hubbuh

Watch from 0:39, he does that regularly. Especially that pass at 0:58, we only have Pogba capable of doing that.
Bruno is absolutely capable of balls like that, he doesn't get chance to do them often though as he's usually high up the pitch.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
And again. What a player.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Type of guy to join Juventus in a few years and just be a mainstay for the next 10 years

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Bruno is absolutely capable of balls like that, he doesn't get chance to do them often though as he's usually high up the pitch.
And he also gives it away alot trying