Manuel Neuer

Annahnomoss

Neuer is surpassing them all IMO. If I think of all the scenarios a striker could be in, for most of them, I'd want Neuer as my keeper.
I think that is stretching it a bit isn't it? I would have a different keeper in most situations but to be fair Neuer would be picked for quite a few situations depending on how much you want to narrow down the sweeper keeping. But then again neither of those mentioned were sweeper keepers so it isn't surprising that Neuer racks up those "scenarios".

The Law of Denis

Neuer surpassing Schmeichel! :lol:
Why is this so laughable ? I think he is at least equal. Neuer is the best goalkeeper of his generation, I don't understand why he can not compare favorably to those of the previous generation.

I don't think there is much difference in ability between Schmeichel and Neuer.

ecantona7

Whatever happens, there are always things you coul
I loved schmeichel, after all he played a pivotal role when denmark won the euros. But for me neuer is his equal. I generally see no weaknesses in his game. Yes he comes out but I haven't seen it cost his team so far. I enjoy that aspect of his game tbh, with his driblls and all, adds excitement to the game. Easily the best keeper of his generation and probably the greatest bayern have had (I'd have him over kahn and kahn is definitely up there...hell I wouldn't be surprised if bayern fans hold him in higher regard than we do schmeichel).

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
I loved schmeichel, after all he played a pivotal role when denmark won the euros. But for me neuer is his equal. I generally see no weaknesses in his game. Yes he comes out but I haven't seen it cost his team so far. I enjoy that aspect of his game tbh, with his driblls and all, adds excitement to the game. Easily the best keeper of his generation and probably the greatest bayern have had (I'd have him over kahn and kahn is definitely up there...hell I wouldn't be surprised if bayern fans hold him in higher regard than we do schmeichel).

For Bayern Fans: Kahn > Schmeichel
For United Fans: Schmeichel > Kahn

Both of them are all time legends. Neuer will be up there too. But he has all the time he needs to surpass them, he still has around 10 years to go.

And yes, i think many fans rate Neuer higher than Kahn already.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Neuer will win more than Schmeichel did. It's impossible to pick one based on ability alone, but in terms of success, the German will edge it once he's retired.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Pedro's also a United guy. Think something very strange happened to him in '99, maybe he couldn't stand the pain and decided to become a fan of both teams to deal with the horrible experience in the CL final back then. Can't think of a better explanation to support both clubs, it's very very weird. (sorry mate ;) ).

I don't think there's anything between Schmeichel's and Kahn's peak, Schmeichel kept his top top level maybe for a few years longer, Kahn was probably even more influential in his club's success during his peak. Neuer will surpass both though.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Pedro's also a United guy. Think something very strange happened to him in '99, maybe he couldn't stand the pain and decided to become a fan of both teams to deal with the horrible experience in the CL final back then. Can't think of a better explanation to support both clubs, it's very very weird. (sorry mate ;) ).
Sounds a bit like the plot for an M. Night Shyamalan movie. And in the end it turns out that he was a scouser all along.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Neuer surpassing Schmeichel! :lol:
At his age he's already achieved a hell of a lot, in fairness. Schmeichel was obviously more important to Denmark in '92 but Neuer's performances in their World Cup triumph put him on a similar level already in terms of international pedigree, he's already established himself on at least the same level as Schmeichel in the CL, he's been brutally consistent in a league that is at least on the same level as the Premier League in the 90s...so he's more or less covered all the bases from an achievement and performance level POV already. He's got plenty in the way of big-game performances already too. Along with that he's got the whole package as a goalkeeper too - reflexes, one on ones, handling, presence, distribution and sweeping as well, there's no weaknesses at all. It's hard to imagine him not going down as a legendary keeper at this stage IMO.

PedroMendez

Acolyte

I don't think there's anything between Schmeichel's and Kahn's peak, Schmeichel kept his top top level maybe for a few years longer, Kahn was probably even more influential in his club's success during his peak. Neuer will surpass both though.
Bayern fans mystify Kahn quite a bit. Kahn was a brilliant shot-stopper but not without fail. Schmeichel was overall the better goaly. If Neuer continues on his current level, he´ll surpass both.

I also dont see any contradiction in favouring United and Bayern. I never understood why anyone would dislike a team just because they won a crucial match against their own team. I dont have any sympathy scousers and Liverpool. Eventually the most annoying club in the world.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern fans mystify Kahn quite a bit. Kahn was a brilliant shot-stopper but not without fail. Schmeichel was overall the better goaly. If Neuer continues on his current level, he´ll surpass both.

I also dont see any contradiction in favouring United and Bayern. I never understood why anyone would dislike a team just because they won a crucial match against their own team. I dont have any sympathy scousers and Liverpool. Eventually the most annoying club in the world.
Between '98 and '02 he was almost invincible. I actually think that his overall ability is a bit underrated, he wasn't that bad when 'sweeping', he was excellent in one on ones and dominating inside the penalty box. I can't separate him at his peak from Schmeichel and I would only consider Buffon a better goalkeeper in the past 25 years and that's close enough. At least we agree on Neuer being able to surpass both ;).

Also I was of course joking, I don't think '99 is a reason to dislike United as a Bayern fan, it was our own fault after all. I actually don't see any rivalry between us and another European club that warrants some sort of hatred.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
To think we would have ended up with René Adler instead of Manuerl Neuer, if Leverkusen hadn't insisted on that ridiculous € 24M release clause. Thank you Rudi Völler!!! :lol:

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
To think we would have ended up with René Adler instead of Neuer if Leverkusen hadn't insisted on that ridiculous € 24M release clause. Thank you Rudi Völler!!! :lol:
Adler was world class back in 2010. But then he got injured and Leno took his place at Leverkusen. Who knows how good he would be if that injury never happened.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Adler was world class back in 2010. But then he got injured and Leno took his place at Leverkusen. Who knows how good he would be if that injury never happened.
It's not like Adler's weaknesses at set-pieces and high crosses or his poor distribution were caused by injuries. Those were apparent for everybody who looked beyond his godlike reflexes. So yes, the loss of his Kahnesque reflexes on the line can be linked to the injuries, but he was never as complete a goalkeeper as Neuer.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
"Pep Confidential" mentiones that Neuer participates in the training exercises of the field players that Pep loves to do, like groups of players sprinting across the field whilst passing the ball one-toch, and how impressed Pep and his staff were of Neuers football skills.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
"Pep Confidential" mentiones that Neuer participates in the training exercises of the field players that Pep loves to do, like groups of players sprinting across the field whilst passing the ball one-toch, and how impressed Pep and his staff were of Neuers football skills.
Have you got the book?

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
yep, the Kindle edition.

"...The defenders and one midfielder start things off, working together at the back, and the forwards try to get the ball from them using fast, aggressive pressing. Neuer's skilled footwork stands out..."
Is it an interesting read? And is it really focused on his time at Bayern specifically?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Between '98 and '02 he was almost invincible. I actually think that his overall ability is a bit underrated, he wasn't that bad when 'sweeping', he was excellent in one on ones and dominating inside the penalty box.
Yeah he held a very high peak during those years. His performances in the Champions League in particular were probably the best of any keeper since 1992.

anchan1989

Kahn after the Gladbach Bayern game; "When I was 28, I wasnt that good."

He was immense again on Sunday. Its almost like watching Kahn in the 2002 WC(almost, no other keeper was ever on that level).
You are not afraid of any attack because you know that he will keep it out.

Was really angry(yes, German thing) that his team let Roma score one. Yes, you can rest a bit, but he would be by over 900 minutes without a goal for Bayern now.
Over 10 hours in the Bundesliga and running.

Andriy Shevchenko on BT Sports yesterday; "I would pick Neuer for the Ballon D´or."

Would be a great story. I for one have fun watching this monster and great guy of a keeper. Every football fan should watch as much Neuer as he can. Its just a show.

SammyUnited_83

The one that Fergie wanted... Remember when he went onto the pitch to specifically shake Neuer's hand after the champs league game? Fergie seemed genuinely disappointed in the interview afterwards as he knew he was Bayern bound.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If neuer can become the best bayern keeper ever then that will be enough of an achievement.
Maier and kahn still ahead for me but he has the time and talent to get there (unless he does a cassillias and just degrades super quick)
Still best of all time I'm not sure... Kahn schmeichel buffon and Zoff are all pretty close but even if he gets to that level there is banks and even yashin who virtually recreated the keeper position from a shot stopper to someone who commands the box

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
If neuer can become the best bayern keeper ever then that will be enough of an achievement.
Maier and kahn still ahead for me but he has the time and talent to get there (unless he does a cassillias and just degrades super quick)
Still best of all time I'm not sure... Kahn schmeichel buffon and Zoff are all pretty close but even if he gets to that level there is banks and even yashin who virtually recreated the keeper position from a shot stopper to someone who commands the box
It gets more and more difficult to argue for Maier or Kahn as the best German/Bayern keeper. There's simply nothing that they did better than Neuer, the only argument against Neuer is that he's still young and needs to keep that level for a few more years, which is fair enough. But if you compare their careers, Neuer is significantly stronger than both of them were at a similar age. He's only 28 after all and his peak form has already eclipsed both, which really is insane.

I don't see how Banks can be considered on a higher level than Buffon, Zoff or Maier, at least I struggle to make a decision between them. Yashin is so difficult to judge, I respect the legend a lot, but the whole point about him being the first sweeper keeper and revolutionising goalkeeping is imo exaggerated. I'd say he became the icon for the era when goalkeeping finally made a huge step forward and started to catch up with the development of professional football in all other parts of the game. I'm not sure if you can really argue that he was a better goalkeeper than the other alltime greats. But there's not enough footage available to really form an opinion.

anchan1989

With all due respect to Yashin, who is that big legends or other great older guys like Banks; the level of competition at their time is so much lower then anything today that I cant see them on the same level as a Buffon or Neuer.