Manuel Ugarte

croadyman

Arsenal won't have caicedo and rice. Just 1 of the 2. Chelsea getting Ugarte makes sense for them. We have Casemiro so we realistically aren't getting Ugarte, Caicedo, Lavia or Rice, as Casemiro is arguably the best DM in the world, has plenty of years left as a great player, so we just won't buy someone who plays the exact same role. Weird amount of quality DMs moving on this summer though. Lavia is the only possible one due to age as a future transition, but I doubt it.

Mount is a quality player himself and would make a very good midfield providing a lot of what we lack alongside Casemiro and Bruno, and combining the best things Fred and Eriksen provide. Eriksen, Rabiot would provide excellent depth. We shouldn't be looking longingly at anybody else's midfield with a group like that. Just needs gradual age reductions as well but Mount would be a great start to that.
How do we ever control games without that player who is able to dictate things from deep though

Matst1

Have we burned our Mendes bridge after the Ronaldo sketch?
No. He and Ronaldo parted ways because Mendez disagreed with the interview and advised him against it. Ronaldo dumped him after that, plus there were other disagreements too supposedly.

Erik the Red

Who are these top level dictators?
In a couple of weeks' time, we will wake up one day to the announcement that we have signed FDJ. There will be no 1000 page thread, in fact the thread won't even get bumped from today till the announcement.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
How do we ever control games without that player who is able to dictate things from deep though
You accept that we don't get from A to Z without going through the other steps essentially. We'll be a counter pressing side but lacking some control at times, but good control in many games all the same. There's no point in living with a big weakness if we can improve on it even if it's not the perfect player, because we don't know when that perfect player will be available.

flappyjay

How are Chelsea on the FFP front? No Europe and a bloated squad where 600m has been spent already must mean tightening of belt and a zero net spend, no?
Those long contracts work in their favour that's why uefa changed from this summer going forward.

bringbackbebe

Those long contracts work in their favour that's why uefa changed from this summer going forward.
What could work temporarily is if they sell Gallagher (25m), Loftus Cheek (10m), Mount (40m) and Hudson Odoi (10m?) - Total 85m. Since they're all home grown, they'd get away showing the entire sale as profit & can spend another 300m on players (60m player cost amortization). It'll come to bite them next year though.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Reports in Portugal saying Chelsea and PSG are the clear favorites to sign him. I would love to see him in England.

The best compliment I can give him is that we did not feel the loss of Palhinha. I will now compare them both a little bit.

Although I believe Palhinha is the better defender and ball winning player (as shown by his statistics in England this season leading the league) I found it pretty interesting that Ugarte has registered more ball recoveries and completed tackles then palhinha when comparing both of their times at Sporting. He is very good at reading the play and is very aggressive at an attacking the ball which makes a ball handler very nervous. Very brave player who does not shy away from a gritty 50/50 ball.

Although Palhinha is a better passer of the ball Ugarte is clearly better with the ball in his feet and dribbling out of tight spaces. He can bring the ball up better and is more of a defensive B2B where as Palhinha is a pure CDM.

Ugarte is still very young but I would like to see him improve his shooting capabilities more and when compared to Palhinha he is not as much of a threat off of set pieces.

Similarly to Palhinha though he almost plays for 2 in midfield because it feels as though he is everywhere and has a very high workrate. I don’t think he would have any problem with the pace of the EPL and he also showed this at the emirates vs Arsenal when he completed bossed that midfield.

For 45-60M I think he is a great addition to any of the two clubs interested.

https://youtube.com/shorts/NaQYBX2buKg?feature=share

Great videos.

Mainoldo

How are Chelsea on the FFP front? No Europe and a bloated squad where 600m has been spent already must mean tightening of belt and a zero net spend, no?
They have to sell. They’ll net even this transfer window.

Supports
Chelsea
Reports in Portugal saying Chelsea and PSG are the clear favorites to sign him. I would love to see him in England.

The best compliment I can give him is that we did not feel the loss of Palhinha. I will now compare them both a little bit.

Although I believe Palhinha is the better defender and ball winning player (as shown by his statistics in England this season leading the league) I found it pretty interesting that Ugarte has registered more ball recoveries and completed tackles then palhinha when comparing both of their times at Sporting. He is very good at reading the play and is very aggressive at an attacking the ball which makes a ball handler very nervous. Very brave player who does not shy away from a gritty 50/50 ball.

Although Palhinha is a better passer of the ball Ugarte is clearly better with the ball in his feet and dribbling out of tight spaces. He can bring the ball up better and is more of a defensive B2B where as Palhinha is a pure CDM.

Ugarte is still very young but I would like to see him improve his shooting capabilities more and when compared to Palhinha he is not as much of a threat off of set pieces.

Similarly to Palhinha though he almost plays for 2 in midfield because it feels as though he is everywhere and has a very high workrate. I don’t think he would have any problem with the pace of the EPL and he also showed this at the emirates vs Arsenal when he completed bossed that midfield.

For 45-60M I think he is a great addition to any of the two clubs interested.

https://youtube.com/shorts/NaQYBX2buKg?feature=share

Great videos.
Thanks for the write up.

Do you think he could work well with Enzo assuming Poch plays his favoured 4231? Would it not be a problem that neither are natural holders?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Thanks for the write up.

Do you think he could work well with Enzo assuming Poch plays his favoured 4231? Would it not be a problem that neither are natural holders?
I honestly don’t know if I am a fan of it.

I feel like a player like Declan Rice would actually be a better fit next to enzo.

Although enzo is a better attacking player then Ugarte I feel both are similar box to box like players but I could be wrong.

If you have both of them your going to need a cam that can link up play between the middle of the pitch and the attacking third.

Supports
Chelsea
I honestly don’t know if I am a fan of it.

I feel like a player like Declan Rice would actually be a better fit next to enzo.

Although enzo is a better attacking player then Ugarte I feel both are similar box to box like players but I could be wrong.

If you have both of them your going to need a cam that can link up play between the middle of the pitch and the attacking third.
That's fair.

I actually think Rice is pretty much a box-to-box player aswell having watched him quite a lot. Unfortunately natural holders like Palhinha, Rodri etc are very rare nowadays at the top level. And we sold our only holder in Jorginho.

Guess we just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Gordon S

Zach is just reporting what A Bola have put on their backpage today.

A Bola are tier 4.

Silly season is well and truly under way.
Ah thanks.

Yeah it is. I´ve been around for far too long to reach for the zipper after one stupid tweet.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not sure why anyone would currently want to go to Chelsea when they have a multitude of other options.

zaafi

I feel he's going to have a similar effect as Caicedo had. We really shouldn't be missing out on him, unless we're actually going for Caicedo.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What could work temporarily is if they sell Gallagher (25m), Loftus Cheek (10m), Mount (40m) and Hudson Odoi (10m?) - Total 85m. Since they're all home grown, they'd get away showing the entire sale as profit & can spend another 300m on players (60m player cost amortization). It'll come to bite them next year though.
Mount and Gallagher will probably go for more than that if they're sold, though I still hold out hope that Mount and Chelsea can work out their differences.

daba

Praying these dodgy rumours have at least an inch of truth to it.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I find it staggering that Chelsea are in any position to sign even more players before bringing any money in. It's proof that FFP is a waste of time even if they can do it because they will bring money in at a later date. They should be made to sell before buying not the other way around

abraz79

Supports
Sporting CP
If Man Utd is really interested, they will have to hurry up. if we make a good offer, there's a good chance Ugarte will prefer us.
He wants the premier league, but Chelsea has offered half the salary of PSG. And it won't be in european competitions next season. The bloated squad doesn't make it any more attractive. So now's the chance to grab him.

croadyman

I feel he's going to have a similar effect as Caicedo had. We really shouldn't be missing out on him, unless we're actually going for Caicedo.
Gonna miss out on both by the looks of it most likely to Premier League rivals as well

Infra-red

Sounds like fun and games in the final stages of negotiations with Chelsea. To be fair, if I knew that Boehly was on the other side of the negotiations, I'd fancy my chances of adding a couple of zeros to the asking price/contract, too.

mu4c_20le

If Man Utd is really interested, they will have to hurry up. if we make a good offer, there's a good chance Ugarte will prefer us.
He wants the premier league, but Chelsea has offered half the salary of PSG. And it won't be in european competitions next season. The bloated squad doesn't make it any more attractive. So now's the chance to grab him.
He'll stay at Sporting? :wenger: