Marc Cucurella | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I'd ask for £60m if I was Brighton. He'd be great for City, and they will eventually end up paying the £50m so may as well squeeze more out of it. City need a LB, they don't even have a senior one left in the squad.
Why only £60m? Why not £100m? Man City must be desperate and will pay whatever it takes to get him, right?

phelans shorts

I'd ask for £60m if I was Brighton. He'd be great for City, and they will eventually end up paying the £50m so may as well squeeze more out of it. City need a LB, they don't even have a senior one left in the squad.
The guy who’s played there most weeks for the last 2 years hasn’t done too badly

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He is a class player and just signed a new deal. Pay up City. Asking £45 million for Ake and not wanting to go above £35 million for a far superior player with a long deal.

Absolute jokers.

hobbers

Brighton are being generous as feck pitching it at about £50m.

City paid £42m for Ake so by that standard they should be asking £60-70m.

Davie Moyes

Given City's financial status and FFP workarounds, my initial impression would be that they suggest to players to hand in a transfer request, and agree to cover the loss of loyalty bonus, and then find a way to make the payment off the books. Call me cynical, but I think its more plausible than them being fiscally responsible, savvy negotiators who manage to seal deals for less than the going rate. Its not like the money is significant for them, and every club they are dealing with know that City can afford to pay whatever they need to.
I agree with this.

Teja

Brighton taking a page out of the Barca playbook?

saik

Haven’t Chelsea already two of the best fullbacks in the PL…?

Why on Earth would they want to spend big on Cucurella!?
Are you talking about James and Chilwell? I'm not up to date on their transfer news but both Azpi and Alonso were linked with Barca so they need depth I guess.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Why do Chelsea need him? Their business is bizarre this summer.

Cucurella makes sense to me for them. Their left backs aren't very good. Alonso is leaving and apart from his random highlights, isn't thaaaat good. Chilwell is average and always unfit anyway.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Are you talking about James and Chilwell? I'm not up to date on their transfer news but both Azpi and Alonso were linked with Barca so they need depth I guess.
Obviously yes.

Yeah there’a needing depth and then there’s paying huge money for a back up fullback… would be an odd move.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Cucurella makes sense to me for them. Their left backs aren't very good. Alonso is leaving and apart from his random highlights, isn't thaaaat good. Chilwell is average and always unfit anyway.
Chilly was one of our best players before his injury. He’s excellent when fit, not average.

Emerson and Alonso are average.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Chillwell is good enough, certainly enough that they shouldn't be spending 50m on another LB unless there are serious doubts over his fitness.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Cucurella played LCB in Brighton's three man defense for a run of matches last spring and looked decent from what I recall.

He's a good all around player and would solve two problems for Chelsea, providing a rotation option at LWB and also an option at LCB.

I really can't understand why Tuchel is so averse to giving Colwill a chance though.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He’s played quite a few times as the left sided centre back in a back 3
How good was he there? Sounds like Tuchel wants him to be a hybrid LCB/LWB.

Would certainly allow Chilwell the time to get back to full fitness as well as be an asset as LCB.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
The idea of playing such a good fullback/wingback as a CB just doesn’t feel right. I don’t get why we’d do that rather than paying up for Gvardiol who is an actual LCB. Or using Koulibaly on the left where he is used to playing and buying a RCB.

Why limit Cucurella’s best asset (flying up and down the flank) by moving him to CB?

ROFLUTION

Just curious, but how on earth is a defender who have assisted once and netted once last season worth 50m? Seems very overrated at first sight, but haven't actually watched Brighton a lot.

Never stood out while watching, which Lamptey for instance does a lot

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
50m for a guy that cried his heart out because he scored his first ever goal against us :lol:

Idxomer

Ok, that could then fix a couple of problems for Tuchel as mentioned above.

Having both he and Chilwell in the same lineup would certainly be an interesting watch.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Koulibali and Sterling are the least bizarre signings ever.

Getting this guy in would be odd though.
Chilwell----------------------------------------James
-----------Cucuella-------------Koulibaly-----------
--------------------------Thiago--------------------------

Looks alright, no? Pretty flexible too as Koulibaly could play LCB, Cucuella LWB etc pp. Also regarding the whole formation with a back 4.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The idea of playing such a good fullback/wingback as a CB just doesn’t feel right. I don’t get why we’d do that rather than paying up for Gvardiol who is an actual LCB. Or using Koulibaly on the left where he is used to playing and buying a RCB.

Why limit Cucurella’s best asset (flying up and down the flank) by moving him to CB?
It's just assumption. Alonso is pretty much leaving and you need a backup to Ben. His LCB experience would just be handy like James and that's it.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Just curious, but how on earth is a defender who have assisted once and netted once last season worth 50m? Seems very overrated at first sight, but haven't actually watched Brighton a lot.

The people who do watch them rate him. He was voted the players' player of the season and also the fans player of the season.

I can't remember ever seeing him play in a back three so god knows. This is the summer of the tiny CB.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I haven’t watched that many Brighton games, I’ll admit that up front, but weren’t they one of the most profligate teams in the league? They were frequently underperforming their xG meaning they always create a shitload of chances but were one of the worst teams when it comes to finishing those chances.

Last edited:

BerryBerryShrew

It's the same as ye being linked to a load of right backs because you could play James at RCB. .. why? Why move the best RB in the League (if not Europe) to a different position? It seems strange. What Chelsea need is a sprinkle of magic in AM or up top. Dembelé would have been perfect but Sterling is very functional. There just isn't a whole lot of creativity in the attacking areas. This obsession with paying top dollar to reinforce positions that ye are already strong in is bizzare to me.

Judas

Open to offers
Koulibali and Sterling are the least bizarre signings ever.

Getting this guy in would be odd though.
The general approach hasn’t been very Chelsea like though is what I mean, which fair enough, you’re a different club now so things are going to be different.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
How good was he there? Sounds like Tuchel wants him to be a hybrid LCB/LWB.

Would certainly allow Chilwell the time to get back to full fitness as well as be an asset as LCB.
He's rubbish, you don't want him!

Seriously he was outstanding wherever he played last season, if he can keep those levels up he'll be brilliant for you, I'd hate to see him go.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
He's rubbish, you don't want him!

Seriously he was outstanding wherever he played last season, if he can keep those levels up he'll be brilliant for you, I'd hate to see him go.
Did he get forward and link attacks often from LCB or was he more of a “play it safe because this isn’t my natural position” sort of a guy?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I guess mainly because if pre seasons anything to go by Chilwell will take months if not the season until he's back into his pre injury form.

Also lack of wingback depth was one of the main reasons our season went down the toilet last time round.

Status
Not open for further replies.