Marc Cucurella | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
Some clubs would be better off investing in a better scouting system.

£140m for Cucarella and Fofana is about £80m too much.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Nope. Fullback has become such a key position that prices have ballooned. Well run teams and poorly run teams alike spend mega money on fullbacks now.

City, Chelsea, United, PSG, Bayern. It seems £50m is the baseline for a top class fullback now.
Maybe so, I get the feeling that that fishy bloke who bought the club following the forced sale is a bit of a twat.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Looks like the pre season form shook them
Don’t think so. Maybe added a bit more urgency but it has been reported since before Boehly even officially took over that we were going to spend huge money this window. Preseason results are totally meaningless. Liverpool didn’t panic when United spanked them 4-0 a few weeks back either.

TheReligion

Abusive
Nope. Fullback has become such a key position that prices have ballooned. Well run teams and poorly run teams alike spend mega money on fullbacks now.

City, Chelsea, United, PSG, Bayern. It seems £50m is the baseline for a top class fullback now.
Cucerella at £62m it’s huge. City valued him at £30, Brighton seemingly £50.

Doesn’t it make him the most expensive full back in history?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Cucerella at £62m it’s huge. City valued him at £30, Brighton seemingly £50.

Doesn’t it make him the most expensive full back in history?
Nope. Lucas Hernandez still is and I think Hakimi is second, though I could be wrong.

But yes, Cucu will now be right up there.

redcucumber

Seems like an expensive signing for a position they don't really need to spend big on..? Chilwell was signed recently for £50m and has just come back into the side.

I guess the fact that he can also play as part of a three makes him useful. I was under the impression that the strongest part of his game was getting forward, though.

mav_9me

Don’t think so. Maybe added a bit more urgency but it has been reported since before Boehly even officially took over that we were going to spend huge money this window. Preseason results are totally meaningless. Liverpool didn’t panic when United spanked them 4-0 a few weeks back either.
Not the same is it. Liverpool were behind us in preparation and they started their 2nd team against our first team. It was obvious what happened.

People are acting like this is a lot. But who knows what the triggers are. So comparing as a base of 52, Cancelos 60 mil was 3 full years and a heavy amount of inflation later. You will see bang average players going for more than that. We paid 35 mil for Danny Drinkwater. With years and inflation …. Basically the same price for one of the best young wingbacks in the world as we did for a finished product we knew was average.

Boehly is also famous for his organizational structure and his farm systems (academies). So eventually, whether through Edwards or others, you will see a strong unified system in place with a clear direction. And low key we are signing some of the best 16, 17, and 18 year olds right now in this window to keep the academy humming.

But right now we need to buy, and teams that want to be competitive better understand real quick that 50 mil IS a bargain. As inflationary forces keep pushing, unemployment drops, economies try to recover, and upper income tax rates in Europe rise to meet circumstance … the “average” for quality players (not super stars) will edge closer to 100 mil, especially if you factor in agent fees. That’s just reality.
It is a lot – a terrible buy for half the price 5 years ago doesn't change that. Also, the base is allegedly £55m and the Cancelo fee was inflated for accounting purposes, unless you really believe Danilo was worth £34m to Juve, of all clubs.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Like with Neco Williams, there's another PL club spending £20m on a Championship level player.
While it was a hell of a lot of money for a Championship player, Williams is going to impress a lot of people

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Good to see someone else getting ripped apart in paying way over the worth. Now Fofana next for 90m please
Hopefully we will get fofana for 70-80 mn and get done with transfer market.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
No that be Lucas Hernandez. Bayern paid £72m for him back in 2019.
To be fair, Hernandez is a CB/LCB that can play FB but not a FB. Bayern has that Davies guy for LB duties.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
City spent all summer chasing Cucurella only to lose out on him to Chelsea. How embarrassing. I don't they will ever recover from the embarrassment.

redcucumber

City spent all summer chasing Cucurella only to lose out on him to Chelsea. How embarrassing. I don't they will ever recover from the embarrassment.
Seems like they offered £35m, Brighton wanted £60m and it ended there? Chelsea have coughed it up.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
Not really. We had a valuation that was lower than Brighton’s, and we moved on. It’s not the first time we’ve seen City pull out of a deal and it certainly won’t be the last.

He’s a very good player and would’ve loved to have seen him at City this year, but £55m is ludicrous in my opinion.

bringbackbebe

Must be their director of football & scouting department having no idea how to get their prime summer target. Bunch of clueless door knobs who can't get the players Guardiola wants.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Fair fecks to Brighton. Probably the best run club in the league.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not really. We had a valuation that was lower than Brighton’s, and we moved on. It’s not the first time we’ve seen City pull out of a deal and it certainly won’t be the last.

He’s a very good player and would’ve loved to have seen him at City this year, but £55m is ludicrous in my opinion.
It's like you have a few of these ringer pursuits and then pulling out to pretend you're a normal club who have transfer constraints :lol:

But yes, 55m for a left back who surely isn't better than Chilwell is bizarre stuff.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
55m PLUS up to 7m in add ons?!
For a decent but not incredible full back?

What a time to be alive, wowzers.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Seems like they offered £35m, Brighton wanted £60m and it ended there? Chelsea have coughed it up.
That's smart, you know when you need to walk away and look for alternatives.... unlike us. Muppets' only hope is that they don't have the budget for FdJ

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I honestly thought prices would dip after the whole covid shenanigans but they are actually on the rise. Crazy

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
It's like you have a few of these ringer pursuits and then pulling out to pretend you're a normal club who have transfer constraints :lol:

But yes, 55m for a left back who surely isn't better than Chilwell is bizarre stuff.
Every club has transfer restraints. Even City. But it’s not about that, it’s about what we estimate to be a reasonable fee for a player and what is fair value. Chelsea have far exceeded what we valued the player at and that’s fine, that’s obviously what they consider to be fair value.

I’m sure we would’ve gone way beyond £55m for a player that we valued at a cost above that, so it’s not about creating the “illusion” that we have transfer restraints.

mu4c_20le

Actually enjoying watching Chelsea overpay. There will be big pressure on Tuchel this season.

meninred

They could have acquired Telles for free..lol...60 mil for possible backup leftback is great business.

TheLord

If they pull off the Fofana deal as well, for the kind of fee that's reported, they'll surely have no more funds for FDJ. I hope.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They could have acquired Telles for free..lol...60 mil for possible backup leftback is great business.
If only we could go back to the mid 90s.
United strong.
442 with proper side wingers who cross it
2 strikers
full backs concerned with defending
centre backs concerned with defending
None of this holding/attacking midfielder nonsense, just straight forward both do a bit of it all.

Loads of quality players distributed amongst teams
Loads of good centre backs, loads of good strikers.

This current day footy is pretty bleak in some ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.