Marc Cucurella | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGodsInRed

It's like you have a few of these ringer pursuits and then pulling out to pretend you're a normal club who have transfer constraints :lol:

But yes, 55m for a left back who surely isn't better than Chilwell is bizarre stuff.
One of the biggest transfers for a full back in history and he has like 1 assist and 1 goal.

Chelsea used to be good at transfers!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If they pull off the Fofana deal as well, for the kind of fee that's reported, they'll surely have no more funds for FDJ. I hope.
It's Chelsea.
The original sugar daddy club.
Even with the Abramovich stuff they're still loaded.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
One of the biggest transfers for a full back in history and he has like 1 assist and 1 goal
It's utterly bizarre.
I thought when City were interested it'd be like a 30m type signing. To be double is horrific.

Though we banged 50m on Wan B. Then realised he could only defend, nothing else.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
It's utterly bizarre.
I thought when City were interested it'd be like a 30m type signing. To be double is horrific.

Though we banged 50m on Wan B. Then realised he could only defend, nothing else.
He can tackle, he can't defend, his positioning is god awful, AWB maybe the worst defensive signing we've made when you account for price and ability.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
If they pull off the Fofana deal as well, for the kind of fee that's reported, they'll surely have no more funds for FDJ. I hope.
After sterling and koulibaly signings boehly took the 800 mn debt. And rumour is 500 mn for stadium plan and 300 mn for team activities. Still we have good part of 245 mn from it I suppose.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
The market is inflated and they knew we were desperate for bodies. Graham Potter literally played the “I saw you coming” Harry enfield sketch.

Anyway he will be a decent purchase if he can stay injury free. Can play everywhere on the left side and LCB.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Love to see them spend £63m on a left back to replace their other £60m left back.

Those two plus Koulibaly and then Fofana, they might be looking at quarter of a billion on a past it CB, two average left backs and a young, unproven CB.

Wild.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
The market is inflated and they knew we were desperate for bodies. Graham Potter literally played the “I saw you coming” Harry enfield sketch.

Anyway he will be a decent purchase if he can stay injury free. Can play everywhere on the left side and LCB.
He's 5'7''.....centre back?!

SoCross

Done and dusted. Change in thread title?

Insane price. He’s good but with Chilwell supposedly a clear first choice..not sure what the logic is.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
His goals and assists stats last season mean nothing to me. It was well known last season that Brighton were comically poor at scoring goals despite playing lovely football. They drew more games than anyone if I recall correctly as a result. Not his fault that they had Welbeck and Maupay up top.

What‘s more important are his intangibles. He’s quick, relentless, a pressing monster, times his tackles fantastically well, and can play several different positions.

It‘s a hell of a lot of money but up front it’s only £5m more than Wan-Bissaka cost and he can barely dribble a football.

Swordsman

Every club has transfer restraints. Even City. But it’s not about that, it’s about what we estimate to be a reasonable fee for a player and what is fair value. Chelsea have far exceeded what we valued the player at and that’s fine, that’s obviously what they consider to be fair value.

I’m sure we would’ve gone way beyond £55m for a player that we valued at a cost above that, so it’s not about creating the “illusion” that we have transfer restraints.
even Newcastle is not splashing the cash the media would hope

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If only we could go back to the mid 90s.
United strong.
442 with proper side wingers who cross it
2 strikers
full backs concerned with defending
centre backs concerned with defending
None of this holding/attacking midfielder nonsense, just straight forward both do a bit of it all.

Loads of quality players distributed amongst teams
Loads of good centre backs, loads of good strikers.

This current day footy is pretty bleak in some ways.
Football works in cycles so I’m not convinced we’re done with 442 yet in my lifetime. Probably the next evolution is back to sweeper systems again where the likes of Lindelof would be king protected by 2 big CBs

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Football works in cycles so I’m not convinced we’re done with 442 yet in my lifetime. Probably the next evolution is back to sweeper systems again where the likes of Lindelof would be king protected by 2 big CBs
There was a spell other systems were tried, and then it moved back to all the best teams played 4-4-2, and even Leicester winning their title essentially played it.

It'd probably have to be a 4-4-2 where one of your front men drops deeper like a Rooney to make up a 3rd man in that area when you don't have the ball, but essentially still a 4-4-2.

BerryBerryShrew

His goals and assists stats last season mean nothing to me. It was well known last season that Brighton were comically poor at scoring goals despite playing lovely football. They drew more games than anyone if I recall correctly as a result. Not his fault that they had Welbeck and Maupay up top.

What‘s more important are his intangibles. He’s quick, relentless, a pressing monster, times his tackles fantastically well, and can play several different positions.

It‘s a hell of a lot of money but up front it’s only £5m more than Wan-Bissaka cost and he can barely dribble a football.
And AWB was a bad signing so probably shouldn't be used as a benchmark. Maybe you should be comparing Cucurella to Malacia or Tsimikas- ie good young players who are signed for a reasonable fee who can do a very good job when required. To reiterate, you already have one of the best LB's in the PL and you have just signed one of the most highly rated LCB's in Europe. If you had nobody in these positions, the massive outlay might be justifiable. As it is it's just a waste of money.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
And AWB was a bad signing so probably shouldn't be used as a benchmark. Maybe you should be comparing Cucurella to Malacia or Tsimikas- ie good young players who are signed for a reasonable fee who can do a very good job when required. To reiterate, you already have one of the best LB's in the PL and you have just signed one of the most highly rated LCB's in Europe. If you had nobody in these positions, the massive outlay might be justifiable. As it is it's just a waste of money.
Nope he will be a menace for opponents and our system allowed Alonso to go forward like a winger.4 goals 4 assists was his tally for us in league. And reece James 5 goals 9 assists. Chilwell 3 goals 1 assist in his 7 matches before injury.

This wingbacks are integral to our attack it's like many teams spend that much for wingers.

Cucurella have fantastic pace,and ability to carry the ball forward with him combining sterling and mount you will be terrified with the output. We spent that much because wingbacks are multipliers for our attacking output. You will realise how good he will be only if you knew our system properly well or watching us regularly.

izec

Very good player. It does not matter if they spend 10m more or less if they can afford it, important is to get the player and strengthen.

City, Chelsea and Liverpool will be so far ahead of us squad wise at the end of the window.

diarm

Just true. They thought it was the big reveal that Romano makes things up. They are pushed that narrative arrogantly for years. Look stupid again today. As someone that follows him for the closest thing to reliable transfer news that exists I was loving it
I envy your ability to take this level of personal validation from such meaningless things.

BerryBerryShrew

Nope he will be a menace for opponents and our system allowed Alonso to go forward like a winger.4 goals 4 assists was his tally for us in league. And reece James 5 goals 9 assists. Chilwell 3 goals 1 assist in his 7 matches before injury.

This wingbacks are integral to our attack it's like many teams spend that much for wingers.

Cucurella have fantastic pace,and ability to carry the ball forward with him combining sterling and mount you will be terrified with the output. We spent that much because wingbacks are multipliers for our attacking output. You will realise how good he will be only if you knew our system properly well or watching us regularly.
But my point is that you already have Chilwell. You can only play one of them at LWB at a time. I saw Brighton play a couple of times last year and Cucurella was impressive but if there are doubts about your existing £50m LWB regaining his fitness quickly, then spending £5m on a year long loan fee for a good LB on the continent would have been a good contingency. £50m is a steep price to pay for a player who may not actually improve your first 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.