Marcel Sabitzer - (Use the Player Performance thread to discuss his matchday performances)

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
"You can feel it, from the first moment here," said Sabitzer, when asked about the positive spirit within the squad.

"Leeds away is a big game and we have to win those games. We were ready for it, the attitude was good.

"We knew before [Leeds at home] they would be two tough games and we had to be focused right until the end."
"He [Marcus] is a great guy, a great player and he's helping us a lot at the moment," acknowledged the Austrian, when asked about his prolific team-mate.
Sabitzer was also asked by reporters at Elland Road about his relationship with Erik ten Hag, the manager who brought him on transfer-deadline day to bolster the Reds' midfield ranks for the business end of the season.

"He's good, he's talking to me a lot about what he's expecting from me, so I'll try to fulfil that," replied Marcel. "I'm feeling good and I'm liking it here so far."

Inevitably, the question came up as to whether the midfielder could extend his stay beyond the current campaign.

"It's a loan and that's all I can say [about that] at the moment," he said. "What I can say is I'm feeling very good here, I like the team, I like the club, I like the atmosphere at Old Trafford... so we will see what happens in the summer."
The win over Leeds United temporarily took the Reds into second place in the Premier League, until Manchester City beat Aston Villa later in the day to reclaim the position directly behind leaders Arsenal.

"It's hard [to win the title], we are a bit behind them but, as I said, we'll keep going and doing our job," said Sabitzer.

"There are big games ahead so we have to keep going and keep the energy high and then we will see what happens at the end of the season."

croadyman

28 is prime age for a midfielder.....i suspect EtH will take hte option to buy him if he can from Munich IF the price isn't over the top
Him as Casa's partner next season could work provided we get backup DM too. Yes it still leaves us short of a playmaker to supplement Eriksen but can't see three midfield signings in one summer.

Lyng

Him as Casa's partner next season could work provided we get backup DM too. Yes it still leaves us short of a playmaker to supplement Eriksen but can't see three midfield signings in one summer.
Dependant on what kind of money we have available and if the dutchman wants to come, I would like to see us sign De Jong and Sabitzer and get rid of McT and Fred.
Case, De Jong, Eriksen, Bruno, Sabitzer and a hopefully Koobie and Iqbal beginning to be quality options, would seem like a very good pack of midfield options imo.

Woziak

Dependant on what kind of money we have available and if the dutchman wants to come, I would like to see us sign De Jong and Sabitzer and get rid of McT and Fred.
Case, De Jong, Eriksen, Bruno, Sabitzer and a hopefully Koobie and Iqbal beginning to be quality options, would seem like a very good pack of midfield options imo.
Genuinely think Bellingham will not be beyond us next season and he’s a guy you buy for a decade and ends up captaining your club for half a decade, I’d keep Fred, Casemeiro, FDJ or Bellingham, Eriksen, Bruno, Sabitzer and I would add an elite number 10 like Maddison, Reus, Dybala or Griezmann to compete with Bruno

croadyman

Genuinely think Bellingham will not be beyond us next season and he’s a guy you buy for a decade and ends up captaining your club for half a decade, I’d keep Fred, Casemeiro, FDJ or Bellingham, Eriksen, Bruno, Sabitzer and I would add an elite number 10 like Maddison, Reus, Dybala or Griezmann to compete with Bruno
Gives us quality depth in midfield,however can safely say we won't have seven midfielders in squad. Remember that Erik might want to give Hannibal chance to stake claim and still need a backup DM for Casa.

Last edited:

youmeletsfly

None of the 10's you named are elite mate. Maybe they used to be, but not these days.

Strootman's Finger

I had to check if this was posted in 2019

bosskeano

signing sabitzer will come down to price and budget along with us potentially selling one or two players like Scott, Maguire, Lindelof....etc

We need to improve the squad for first Xi players but also the depth and a guy like him would be a great experienced addition to the squad. We should only carry 6 first team CM's and give a couple of the young lads opportunities to mix in with them to gain experience.

bulk of the budget will be getting a top class CM and FWD

croadyman

signing sabitzer will come down to price and budget along with us potentially selling one or two players like Scott, Maguire, Lindelof....etc

We need to improve the squad for first Xi players but also the depth and a guy like him would be a great experienced addition to the squad. We should only carry 6 first team CM's and give a couple of the young lads opportunities to mix in with them to gain experience.

bulk of the budget will be getting a top class CM and FWD
So let's say Fred,Casa,Bruno,Eriksen,De Jong/Bellingham & backup DM. God I really want to keep Sabitzer too though so like Natalie Imbruglia I'm torn

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Didn't train today, hope there's no injury issues. And yes I know he's suspended tomorrow.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If Sabizter and Casemiro are both on the pitch, I feel we have a decent shot at multiple trophies and possibly the league as well.

croadyman

If Sabizter and Casemiro are both on the pitch, I feel we have a decent shot at multiple trophies and possibly the league as well.
Well their first league game together will be a baptism of fire to say the least

mikeyt

I'll judge him fully once he's had a few more games and played alongside Cas. Until then I'll reserve full judgement but early signs show he's certainly a better option than DVB, Fred or McTom. Two of whom surely have to be sold this summer. Whether we sign him or not we still need at least one other top quality midfielder. Give me him and Bellingham though.

Woziak

I had to check if this was posted in 2019
Yeah I know what you mean but an experienced player like Rheus, Griezmann or Dyybala could work for the club and the player with very little initial investment. We will have to juggle a budget for 5 or 6 players and Eriksen has proved a successful free transfer

Jeffthered

This is interesting. Like your way of thinking. I'm sure there's a v decent Chelsea player we could nab.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
You don't add an elite player in a position you already have an elite player in to add competition, you do it if you're going to replace them. We should be looking at a young and highly talented number 10 to add competition to challenge Bruno, I'd be putting all my money on the table for Cherki.

Jeffthered

You don't add an elite player in a position you already have an elite player in to add competition, you do it if you're going to replace them. We should be looking at a young and highly talented number 10 to add competition to challenge Bruno, I'd be putting all my money on the table for Cherki.
Absolutely. But not just Bruno, but the whole midfield! You need to be able rotate your top players. Bellingham would add to the squad, no doubt, he can play in a number of roles, deep lying, central, attacking midfielder.. probably do a job as a wing back if needed. How can you not go for a player like that if available?

And who are all these so-called 'elite' players anyway? Is Rashford now an 'elite' player? Chelsea have paid for I don't how many 'elite' players recently... the rhetoric and hype is far too dominant in football. Look at Jack Grealish for example.

The best footballer I have seen in Europe this season is Lobotka at Napoli, and although he is v well coveted, I rarerly hear him quoted as an 'elite player'.

LordSpud

Bayern would accept €20m for Sabitzer in the summer. For squad depth alone I would take him properly.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Bayern would accept €20m for Sabitzer in the summer. For squad depth alone I would take him properly.
Nah. We need quality more than quantity. He isn't a DM, he is a box to box, or #8. For that role... We have Eriksen and Fred and McTominay currently. McTominay should go but then we have 2 players for the partner to Casemiro. We all think we need a starter who is younger in that position like Frenkie. So that would move Eriksen to a depth role between #8 and #10, Fred to impact sub at #8, and we would still need a backup #6 behind Casemiro.

Signing Sabitzer is essentially pointless, unless Fred is being sold and we aren't signing a starter at CM. He's here to cover for Eriksen, that's about it.

bosskeano

So let's say Fred,Casa,Bruno,Eriksen,De Jong/Bellingham & backup DM. God I really want to keep Sabitzer too though so like Natalie Imbruglia I'm torn
i think you sell Scott in the summer and replace him with Sabitzer....it's a clear upgrade in talent and ability

Fred, Casa, Bruno, Eriksen, Saba....that gives you a solid group. The key though is getting that one extra top flight CM who goes straight into the starting XI.

I just don't see De Jong leaving Barca. Xavi likes him a lot and De Jong has been playing so he won't want to leave.

That leaves Bellingham which we know would cost 100m+ so is it worth that kind of money for a really really good #8 box to box guy....when you know another big hole to fill is the CF position.

i would honestly really look to find an alternative at CM who has quality and potential but cost half the price. Scouting department has 3 months to identify that player who fits....a guy like a Kudus initially comes to mind....what EtH wants in a player before the summer window opens. Then make a good run at Osimhen.

croadyman

i think you sell Scott in the summer and replace him with Sabitzer....it's a clear upgrade in talent and ability

Fred, Casa, Bruno, Eriksen, Saba....that gives you a solid group. The key though is getting that one extra top flight CM who goes straight into the starting XI.

I just don't see De Jong leaving Barca. Xavi likes him a lot and De Jong has been playing so he won't want to leave.

That leaves Bellingham which we know would cost 100m+ so is it worth that kind of money for a really really good #8 box to box guy....when you know another big hole to fill is the CF position.

i would honestly really look to find an alternative at CM who has quality and potential but cost half the price. Scouting department has 3 months to identify that player who fits....a guy like a Kudus initially comes to mind....what EtH wants in a player before the summer window opens. Then make a good run at Osimhen.
Could do with someone who is comfortable playing a DM role that has the positional sense of Casa but able to offer something further forward too. Think finding a player who can offer that is gonna be very difficult though.

mu4c_20le

ETH sees Scott as Casemiro's backup, and Sabitzer is an 8, it's Fred he's competing with. Can't see McTominay going anywhere unless he asks to leave.

bosskeano

Could do with someone who is comfortable playing a DM role that has the positional sense of Casa but able to offer something further forward too. Think finding a player who can offer that is gonna be very difficult though.
that player could be Caicedo and he would be a great shout for that role when Casa can't play but also there to learn from him if they play at the same time

ETH sees Scott as Casemiro's backup, and Sabitzer is an 8, it's Fred he's competing with. Can't see McTominay going anywhere unless he asks to leave.
Scott can't play the 6....he's not good enough on the ball and i think EtH knows that as well

Swedish_Plumber

Mctominay will be sold if we bring in reinforcements. There’s no way ten hag sees him as a good enough long term option there.

croadyman

that player could be Caicedo and he would be a great shout for that role when Casa can't play but also there to learn from him if they play at the same time

Scott can't play the 6....he's not good enough on the ball and i think EtH knows that as well
Yeah if we keep Sabitzer them happy for him and Caicedo to be our summer buys

Mr PG

You need players with bite such as Sabitzer for those tough away games. Our midfield has been fading in away games in the second half's with Eriksen......enter Sabitzer and you saw that issue has gone away even against an energetic team like Leeds.

SuperiorXI

It makes a lot of sense for us to buy Sabitzer. Bayern shouldn't ask for too much as he has been only a bit part player for them and he deserves to start matches.