Marcelo Bielsa appointed as Leeds United manager

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
There's no way they'll be able to sustain this throughout the whole season. A part of being a great manager is being able to preserve the energy of your players and enable them to be reasonably fresh around April/May when most important games are being played. He's failed to do this at most of his previous clubs.

They won't get promoted this season and he'll be fired in May.

deafepl

There's no way they'll be able to sustain this throughout the whole season. A part of being a great manager is being able to preserve the energy of your players and enable them to be reasonably fresh around April/May when most important games are being played. He's failed to do this at most of his previous clubs.

It won't work with the small squad and on a low budget, but for a big club, he can work with a big squad and rotate them heavily as Spurs and City do. Spurs require 2 wings back for each position as it is one of the most demanding

Sarni

It won't work with the small squad and on a low budget, but for a big club, he can work with a big squad and rotate them heavily as Spurs and City do. Spurs require 2 wings back for each position as it is one of the most demanding
Maybe but I doubt that any big club will hire him.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He brings more havoc then Mourinho. Why would a top club hire him as a Manager?

I think he would become a great Youth Football Director or Director of Football because he actually got an eye for talented players.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Can we get him? I remember him outclassing us in 2012 with Herrera. I also like his style of play but to sustain the style of play over the season, we need a bigger squad.

I remember us not really caring because it was only the Europa League.

We went from playing Jones at RB and Ferdinand at CB to Rafael at RB and Jones at CB in both games against them in order to rest Rio. Carrick only featured at home, Scholes not at all. In Feb and Mar Park started none of our 7 league games, 3 of our 4 Europa League ones including both against Bilbao. A similar stat applies to Cleverley although he only started away in Bilbao, missed the home one, started both EL games against Ajax and no league games.

deafepl

His style of play is entertaining but if he gets Leeds promoted to the Premier League and gets Leeds to finish higher in EPL top 10, he'd be considered by many clubs who want to take him.

Matt007a

He struggles to keep things going for any length of time. His football is brilliant and he's proven at several clubs in different countries that it absolutely does work. Problem is he's so demanding and full on the players hit a physical wall mid-season and it all goes wrong. He's never adapted or changed his style and I doubt he will now. Too stubborn and difficult to work with for the big clubs I think.

Sarni

His style of play is entertaining but if he gets Leeds promoted to the Premier League and gets Leeds to finish higher in EPL top 10, he'd be considered by many clubs who want to take him.
I see absolutely zero chance of that happenning.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

They've actually had a poor run recently but won yesterday and went back top which shows the CL is even more congested and tight than usual. Last two years you've had Wolves and Newcastle start to run away at 1st at this point of the season.

What do you think of Kilch btw, he's having a good season for them.

CA1

I can't see Leeds finishing outside the top 6. They may tire but they have a good shot at promotion. If he gets the out of that division, he'll be a hero. Nobody will be arsed that he ran the players ragged. They need to get out of the division and try and build up as a top division club again.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Would love to see him progress to a bigger club with a shot at winning silverware.

The guy deserves a major trophy before retiring.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Brilliant volley and love the Bielsa reaction. Get the feeling he enjoys coaching more than the actual matches

el3mel

Even though he's a genius there's a reason why his career took that direction to Leeds. He has never been committed enough to most of his clubs and used to run away at some point before or midway in season.

Shame. He could have essily become one of the best modern generation managers ever. He's that genius.

Pocho

Love Bielsa, best argentinean trainner in last twenty years.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Even though he's a genius there's a reason why his career took that direction to Leeds. He has never been committed enough to most of his clubs and used to run away at some point before or midway in season.

Shame. He could have essily become one of the best modern generation managers ever. He's that genius.
On point. Wonder what it wpuld be like if he had the standing of Guardiola and everyone at a top club would do as he pleases. I think if everything went his way he could still achieve great things. Unfortunately he was never willing to earn this reputation by accepting nothing but perfect conditions and full authority.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He has never been committed enough to most of his clubs and used to run away at some point before or midway in season.
It kinda works both ways. He's never committed enough to most clubs because most clubs didn't commit enough to him, because he didn't commit enough to them, because they didn't commit enough to him...

He's a madman, his personality and methods pretty much ensure he can't stay at one club longer than a couple years

One of the most brilliant football minds ever though

IFC 1905

Bielsa is maybe the most serious coach in the world, and has some values he respects like no one does. He's absolutely professional, clear and honest.

So basically when he sees that directives of a club are not commited with the deal they had in terms of signings or any other thing, he'll leave.

But everywhere he went, he left a mark. He's done it with Newells Old boys, with Velez Sarsfield, with Argentina NT, he's like a God in Chile, and he played great football in Bilbao and Marseille aswell.

Thing is, he's a very demanding coach. And according to what every player says, he's the one no one loves being coached by, but that you end loving him and appreciating him aswell once you understand he took you to your best level. Because that's what he does, basically. This Leeds side looks like another thing compared to the previous season in terms of football and movements.

Bad thing is he's not a complete manager, he's gonna die with his football idea and is not pragmatic at all, which is something that costs him in terms of phisicallity every season. He assumes it, he knows it, but he still goes with his methods.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Probably one of the most inform teams in British football at the moment. 5 wins in a row for Leeds now and siting top of the table, they usually drop off under previous managers but they seem to be much more consistent under Bielsa, it’d be a momneumental failure if they don’t go up this season.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

Yes I'm sure the likes of Pogba, DDG, and Alexis will relish policing the grounds for rubbish like Bielsa does to his players.
I think that’s a fine policy. It should engender more pride and feeling for the club which does appear to be lacking in certain players. Now we will see if this was all the fault of our previous manager.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Can see them going up now. They had a sticky spell a month ago and responded with 5 straight wins which you need to do if you're serious about top 2. They also have half a team missing through injury (Bamford played his first game in 3 months v Bolton) so that's a very good sign for them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Bielsa is maybe the most serious coach in the world, and has some values he respects like no one does. He's absolutely professional, clear and honest.

So basically when he sees that directives of a club are not commited with the deal they had in terms of signings or any other thing, he'll leave.

But everywhere he went, he left a mark. He's done it with Newells Old boys, with Velez Sarsfield, with Argentina NT, he's like a God in Chile, and he played great football in Bilbao and Marseille aswell.

Thing is, he's a very demanding coach. And according to what every player says, he's the one no one loves being coached by, but that you end loving him and appreciating him aswell once you understand he took you to your best level. Because that's what he does, basically. This Leeds side looks like another thing compared to the previous season in terms of football and movements.

Bad thing is he's not a complete manager, he's gonna die with his football idea and is not pragmatic at all, which is something that costs him in terms of phisicallity every season. He assumes it, he knows it, but he still goes with his methods.
Would you take him back as NT manager (I assume given it's gone quiet Scaloni is going to get Copa America to prove himself) ? One of the biggest football mysteries of last 20 years is Argentina flopping at 2002 world cup. They were in a hard group but looked so good in the previous two years and had many key players at their peak.

One odd one was having a past it Batistuta upfront ahead of Crespo.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
There’s a sadistic side of me that would love this man to take over and work our players like hell!
Yeah, that would end up in a fecking mess.

An excellent coach but way too volatile for a top job.

RoyH1

Yeah, that would end up in a fecking mess.

An excellent coach but way too volatile for a top job.
Indeed. He never lasts more that a year or two anywhere.

But few managers in world football can turn teams around as quickly as he can. And he doesn't need 300 million to do it.

IFC 1905

Would you take him back as NT manager (I assume given it's gone quiet Scaloni is going to get Copa America to prove himself) ? One of the biggest football mysteries of last 20 years is Argentina flopping at 2002 world cup. They were in a hard group but looked so good in the previous two years and had many key players at their peak.

Right after the elimination, and while the players were eating during the same day, Bielsa showed them a video explaining, under his vision, play by play, why Argentina didn't succeed to go through the group stages. He went to a room to analyze everything to explain it to his players right after such a heart breaking moment.
He continued, carried the team to win the Olympics and left. Before leaving, he made an extended inform about every player he's coached at the NT, so that the upcoming NT manager would have valious information about the players.

I want Bielsa as President. He's everything a society should be: humble, intelligent, responsible and hard working as hell. He also knows his faillures and assumes them. He's loved everywhere he goes bar Argentina, where he's half loved or hated.

In fact, we don't deserve Bielsa. Our FA corrupted structure and members doesn't deserve Bielsa. Germany, Japan, Chile, all these countries with less corruption, more seriousness and with an analysis capability deserves a manager like Bielsa. We deserve a clown like Maradona as manager, who is the opposite to Bielsa and a more certain reflection of our own society.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He'd have been brilliant as a temporary manager.. get us pressing, playing fast paced possession football and modernising the team in a short spell.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

That WC was on Asia, hot and humidity while there was less time to prepare for the WC than today. But while its true at the time Crespo was on better shape than Batistuta, the whole team was struggling to score, not only Batistuta, and on the last game against Sweden they were always pressing but the Swedes defended very well. A lot of teams struggled on that WC, France lost the 3 games, Portugal was knocked out by the States and South Korea, the worst Germany I can remember went to the Final. And yes that Germany had worse players than the Germany squad who was on Russia. :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
USA should've beaten Germany in the quarters, were denied clear penalty when Lahm handled on the line.

Think that was the best team US have had at a recent WC as their 3-2 over Portugal was one of the best games of the tournament. Landon Donovan was outstanding throughout.

G-manc

He lives near me and seems like a no frills, grounded, sound bloke. He walks everywhere (including the 4-5 mile round trip from his house to the training ground) and goes to one of the local pubs for a drink most nights.