Marcelo Bielsa appointed as Leeds United manager

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
So @Robbie Boy was right you made that comment with Ole in mind which is weird because none of the posts made today before yours suggested something like that.
No I am bringing Ole, because someone said, I called Biesla hipster god, because anyone finding the likes of Biesla, Graham Potter and so on, hipster fav, is Ole fan. So if comparison is Ole, so be it. If I was a Spurs fan, and this discussion was going on in Spurs, forum, I would have used Jose's example or Klopp's in Liverpool and so on. And no I never considered Klopp hipster manager, because he bloody defeated Bayern Munich to the title.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
No I am bringing Ole, because someone said, I called Biesla hipster god, because anyone finding the likes of Biesla, Graham Potter and so on, hipster fav, is Ole fan. So if comparison is Ole, so be it. If I was a Spurs fan, and this discussion was going on in Spurs, forum, I would have used Jose's example or Klopp's in Liverpool and so on. And no I never considered Klopp hipster manager, because he bloody defeated Bayern Munich to the title.
But if we look at some of those so-called hipster managers, haven't people like Bieksa, Nagelsmann, Rose, Hasenhüttl, and Potter all been overachieving with their respective clubs in one or multiple points in their career? (Even if not necessarily right now.)

I think hipster manager refers to managers that have never been in the top bracket and are particularly liked by people who are interested in the theoretical side of the game. 30 years ago, we'd have called them nerd or geek managers, but those word aren't used much anymore.

And I do think it is generally used as a derogatory term, used because people dislike the theoretical stuff, dislike the focus away from simply winning stuff, and/or are unhappy about the fawning over a manager who isn't currently in charge at their own club.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Quietly having a great season. But I guess he's not hipster enough as say Hassenhuttl...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Quietly having a great season. But I guess he's not hipster enough as say Hassenhuttl...
For us hipsters, Bielsa is the Pope of Football. No but seriously Bielsa is a genuinely loved manager.

vodrake

They haven't stopped banging on about how great he is all season! :lol:

Even when we battered them 6-2 all of the post match talk was about leeds wonderful style of football and how they didn't give up even when 4 goals behind

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
They haven't stopped banging on about how great he is all season! :lol:

Even when we battered them 6-2 all of the post match talk was about Leeds wonderful style of football and how they didn't give up even when 4 goals behind
whoo? their fans? I mean I haven't seen this thread or any similar one bumped for months. Anyway it's been a good season after promotion for them and their "forgotten manager". That doesn't mean I don't hope we thrash them on weekend :-)

Charlie Foley

He's out of the favour hipster manager imo now when younger generation has come, with one season wonder results and german surnames hahaha
Perhaps I am out of hipster touch. Or perhaps the mainstream hipsters have moved on but the hipster hipsters have stock with the old school hipster favourite. Yeah! He’s a lot of fun though

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
They've had an incredible season. The 2nd most number of points in the last 10 matches I heard. And yet people thought they'd run out of steam. Hardest working outfit in the league. Top half finish. Bielsa is fecking magic.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Defensive record also worth looking at, think they conceded about 12 goals in last 13 so properly sorted that aswell. Edit: Bielsa showed he can grind out 0-0s v Chelsea and Man. United if he really has to....but that's not why he's in the game as manager last 30 years.

I think they'll be top 10 again next season. How high depends on whether they can get another top level player for final third, Rodrigo De Paul been rumoured.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Sure at times some of the praise that Bielsa received from people like Hoddle was over the top.

But on the flipside, I think there was also too much criticism following those defeats away to Man Utd and Tottenham (when I think they had 3 centre backs out injured during the Christmas / New Year period. In and around that period, they also beat Newcastle, Burnley and West Brom, i.e. theoretically more important matches for a newly promoted team, so quite frankly those heavy defeats were pretty much irrelevant from their perspective. And he showed that he was able to evolve his team and adapt to games against the bigger clubs during the 2nd half of the season, while continuing to rack up wins against teams in and around them.

Numerous players that were already at the club before he joined, and were part of a team that was regularly finishing in the bottom half of the Championship, both in terms of league finishes and passing stats, have improved under him.

Even during his first season in charge, while there was talk about the team burning out near the end, they were really undone by some very costly home defeats in which they completely dominated the game but missed chance after chance. They were far superior to Derby, who had a much more expensively assembled squad and higher wage bill than them at the time, in 3 halves out of 4 during their playoff semi-final.