Marcelo

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Do people expect Marcelo to be in two places at the same time? Ronaldo is always in the box, you need a winger style LB.

It’s funny, when he bombs forward and isn’t back in time he’s slated, but Ronaldo not helping his flank, not creating through the wing etc is never pointed out. When Marcelo is in the formed back line he’s actually decent as a defender.

Put it like this : RM loses much more if Marcelo is not bombing forward than if they gain 15% more solidity in the back playing a defensive type player.
Because first and foremost he is a defender.
If he bombs forward and doesn't get back in time, he should rightfully be ridiculed.
If he doesn't bomb forward because the opposition has kept a player up on the right side, then he's made the right call.

Excellent offensive fullback. Defensively, highly questionable.

bebeanderson

If he bombs forward and doesn't get back in time, he should rightfully be ridiculed.
If he doesn't bomb forward because the opposition has kept a player up on the right side, then he's made the right call.

Huge part in 3 champion league titles. I think your football mentality is a bit backwards.

You know they must practice and drill the hell out of Ramos covering him? They are winning everything for years, I'm pretty sure it's working out

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Huge part in 3 champion league titles. I think your football mentality is a bit backwards.

You know they must practice and drill the hell out of Ramos covering him? They are winning everything for years, I'm pretty sure it's working out
You've just looked at my comment as if I didn't actually reply to your direct post. That isn't what I meant at all.

Red4Life_#7

Anyone with good enough knowledge on Sandro.... can you compare the 2 of them please. I just keep hearing Sandro is the 2nd best left back. Marcelo is pure quality... his defending is good also, he is more of a wing back than a full back, but because Madrid dominate games it doesn't really matter. He is incredible going forward.

RedMane

Supports
Liverpool
This is exactly the point. It can be applied to "ball playing" defenders as well. Fans fixate on the goals they cost because they are obvious mistakes. They are the type of mistakes that are generally hard to take especially for people who grew up on traditional defenders and full backs. Managers however are not idiots, they understand that for every silly goal the style of those players cost, the gain on the other end more than makes up for it, even if it is in a less obvious way.
Nice point, also it makes game more exciting. Who want to see 0-0 draws or barely 1 or 2 goals in 90 mins. More goals = more fun for neutrals = more fans = more money for the clubs.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Even Roberto Calos himself once said that Marcelo surpassed him.

Maldini's defensive qualities is pretty more or less unmatched bar none, but he was never really anywhere great at going forward.

For Marcelo, it's the opposite.
Yep.

I rate him up right there and would prefer him just because of that ability to move up the pitch and be a clinical difference maker offensively.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
He's still pretty underrated just because he seemingly makes a lot of positional errors playing the role he does in that Madrid side.
Top player.

Charles Miller

Anyone with good enough knowledge on Sandro.... can you compare the 2 of them please. I just keep hearing Sandro is the 2nd best left back. Marcelo is pure quality... his defending is good also, he is more of a wing back than a full back, but because Madrid dominate games it doesn't really matter. He is incredible going forward.
Alex Sandro is more physical but Marcelo is far superior in terms of Skills.

Sandro is good in defense in 1x1 situations but his positioning is not top level imo. He is having a very average season after be linked with Chelsea last window. Apparently Juventus fans lost their patience with him.

Last season i would say he was the second best LB, but right now i would pick Alaba and Jordi Alba over him. Hes probably just looking for a move and can back to his normal form, but his attitude this season is really worrying.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Doesn't matter if he is a defender or a winger, everything depends on what his role is and what his coach expects from him. For Madrid he is very good attacker and one of their best attacking outlet. So they cover him defensively as he is very good in the other part of the pitch. That's how you play as a team. It's no good if Marcelo is asked to play cautious game, that's not his game at all and he won't be half useful as he is now.

Also he bombs forward when his team has possession, when they lose obviously he will be out of position, that's why they have CBs and defensive mid to cover.

fellaini's barber

His bombing forward plays a big part in how how Madrid escape with wins in big games. When you are playing a good team team who are doing a good job marking your forwards you need your attacking fullbacks to create space and makes things happen. That's why we look so shit most times, when Martial, Lukaku, Rashford are marked out of the game or not playing well we look clueless

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
At fault for the first goal? Come on...
Mistake 1 - Sauntering around getting the ball back that had gone out of play like he’s playing 5s down the park with his mates. Mistake 2 - Jogging back into position as Bayern countered (Real should have covered him better of course but he doesn’t help himself).

bebeanderson

People were waiting for him to screw up to come with this "Liability on defense" card, because against Bayer last year, PSG, Juventus etc etc you can't find a goal where he was at fault.

And its not like it was some howler, he just wasn't in his position on time. I have to wonder why people put some players under a microscope so much. I don't remember people talking too much about Lahm not being able to defend any header.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Doesn't matter if he is a defender or a winger, everything depends on what his role is and what his coach expects from him. For Madrid he is very good attacker and one of their best attacking outlet. So they cover him defensively as he is very good in the other part of the pitch. That's how you play as a team. It's no good if Marcelo is asked to play cautious game, that's not his game at all and he won't be half useful as he is now.

Also he bombs forward when his team has possession, when they lose obviously he will be out of position, that's why they have CBs and defensive mid to cover.
I'm not arguing that at all. Didn't really insinuate otherwise in the first place.

Just using Kimmich's goal as an example in which sometimes he's a bit too nonchalant in tracking back after one of his bomb forwards.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'm not arguing that at all. Didn't really insinuate otherwise in the first place.

Just using Kimmich's goal as an example in which sometimes he's a bit too nonchalant in tracking back after one of his bomb forwards.
Yeah, it's a high risk high gain though.

For example, the goal he scored, LB has no business staying at the edge of the box to take shot. In last game, I saw him following the ball and ending up as RW. Think he is given lot of freedom as he can create a lot in final third.

InfiniteBoredom

He’s like the Alves of Barcelona 09-11. You can’t judge his performance in terms of a traditional fullback but as one of if not the most important attacking outlet of that Real team.

He’s also shown that he’s fine defensively when the team had other outlets/didn’t play through him as much, when they used AdM/Bale etc... Its like Evra in his later years with us. Everyone losing their shit because he didn’t track back enough but with the state of our left wing at the time (Young/Welbeck/old Giggs), he was the only reliable outlet of bringing the ball upfield and linking with the strikers. When he left in 14 people thought he was done but guy still did decent enough to be in another CL final in his first full season with Juve. Marcelo is a notch or two above.

Craig Ward

The best LB for many many years if not ever. To stay at a club like Madrid with his level of performance for the amount of time he has is all you need to know.

Not 1 player has come close in years to taking that spot from him.

The best full back of the modern game

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Quick question.
Which left back would you rather have in your team, Maldini or Marcelo? I am absolutely serious (incase someone thinks otherwise).

InfiniteBoredom

Quick question.
Which left back would you rather have in your team, Maldini or Marcelo? I am absolutely serious (incase someone thinks otherwise).
Horse for course innit? For this current United team I’d take Marcelo, but Liverpool for example would be fearsome with Maldini as left back.

That said, if I’m forced to choose Maldini would be the one, simply because he was an awesome CB as well and that tactical versatility is great to have in your team.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Mistake 1 - Sauntering around getting the ball back that had gone out of play like he’s playing 5s down the park with his mates. Mistake 2 - Jogging back into position as Bayern countered (Real should have covered him better of course but he doesn’t help himself).
I think it's intended for him to be so high like that, it's a risky tactic but what he brings far outweighs what he can cost his team in terms of goals leaked. Otherwise Marcelo wouldn't be a starter for them for years. They've accepted that it's part of their game so not sure how much it can be truly of his fault

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Quick question.
I'd have Marcelo over any LB that ever played. Obviously I'm a little biased but still, he's an absolute legend for us.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
This is exactly the point. It can be applied to "ball playing" defenders as well. Fans fixate on the goals they cost because they are obvious mistakes. They are the type of mistakes that are generally hard to take especially for people who grew up on traditional defenders and full backs. Managers however are not idiots, they understand that for every silly goal the style of those players cost, the gain on the other end more than makes up for it, even if it is in a less obvious way.
True, and anticipation/ball playing goalkeepers can be added to that list.

Marcelo is a crucial factor why this Real side is so successful, similar to Dani Alves for Barca.

Trizy

Marcelo for me is the top 3 LBs in my life time, up there with Maldini & Roberto Carlos but still ahead of Alaba, Evra & Cole.

He's better than most the wingers in the world. Joy to watch and a big game player.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
There was some skill he did in the first half as well which was unbelievable. Any gifs?

Also, depressing how well Madrid and Bayern move the ball around compared to United. You just wouldn't see our Right CB spraying a ball out onto the left flank like that, ever.

kr0nix

There was some skill he did in the first half as well which was unbelievable. Any gifs?

Also, depressing how well Madrid and Bayern move the ball around compared to United. You just wouldn't see our Right CB spraying a ball out onto the left flank like that, ever.
I believe Lindelof could do it but he seems to pick the safe option far too regularly. Lack of confidence?

tony54

This guy is god. A full back who plays like a striker and so he is a key to Real's style of play. If he wasn't a defender he would win The Ballon D'or.
He would be in my best team ever and secondly would be the player who covers for him on his rampages 'Ramos'

padzilla

Hipster
I got to see Real live in the world club championship late last year and it was very apparent how reliant they are on him going forward. Something that has all dried up at United after we had amazing overlapping full backs for a long time like Irwin, Neville, Evra and even Heinze.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Maldini doesn't work as a LB in today's game.
How does the greatest left back in the history of football, Paolo Maldini, not work in today's game? Also, what's the relevance to Marcelo?

On the subject of Marcelo, Mourinho must think back to his time at Real Madrid with a lot of envy about having Marcelo as an option. He can occasionally get caught out of position, he's got such speed and stamina that he's able to make it up and down that touchline most times though. As an attacking outlet he's top notch too. Just one of the many elements that makes this Madrid squad so good.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Maldini doesn't work as a LB in today's game.
Could be a more natural fit as an LCB in a 3 or as a CB in a 4, but his attacking game can get underestimated. For example even in his 30s he was LWB in Italy’s 352 at Euro 2000.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
How does the greatest left back in the history of football, Paolo Maldini, not work in today's game? Also, what's the relevance to Marcelo?

On the subject of Marcelo, Mourinho must think back to his time at Real Madrid with a lot of envy about having Marcelo as an option. He can occasionally get caught out of position, he's got such speed and stamina that he's able to make it up and down that touchline most times though. As an attacking outlet he's top notch too. Just one of the many elements that makes this Madrid squad so good.
Mourinho did not really fancy him. Kept rotating him and Coentrao.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Mourinho did not really fancy him. Kept rotating him and Coentrao.
Marcelo made 50 appearances in 2010-11 and 44 in 2011-12. In 2012-13 he was injured a lot, which gave Coentrao more chances. Coentrao almost ended up joining us because of his lack of game time though.

Marcelo was Mourinho's first choice left back.