Marco Delvecchio, or Serie A players of the past

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire

Dejan Savicevic - My favourite non-United player in the early 90's.

JPP - Yes, I liked Milan.

redshaw

Sinisa Mihajlovic, not only top free kicks but his corner kicks were phenomenal.

Great shouts of Lombardo and Recoba and Montella. Recoba seems to be almost forgotten despite his talent.

George Weah

Serginho. Remember being linked or fans wanted him to replace Ryan Giggs on the left.

Vialli when he had hair and Mancini. This was my introduction to Serie A in 1990, was lucky to witness such a league triumph.

Gianluigi Lentini. I couldn't believe the transfer fee at the time in 1992 13 million, worlds most expensive player for a few years.

Last edited:

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Matteo Brighi was literally meant to be the greatest midfielder of all time. Involvement with Juve, Parma when they were there or thereabouts with top players on their books and Roma.

Didn't quite make the grade expected when he broke through, but still a Serie A journeyman to the tune of approx 400 games.

I used to watch Serie A more than the PL as a kid as I had some definitely legally arranged Satellite system in place which picked up Italian SKY Sports. I remember Bologna just being great in the middle, and if I'm not mistaken Gamberini came through back then and looked like a future star too. Both seem to have had decent careers, but just goes to show one great season as a youngster doesn't mean you've made it

Didn't even check to see if he's past or present. I'm just going to pretend he's finished even if he isn't.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
for some reason this thread made me think of this:lol:

Moby

Dick
The bloody list of strikers Inter has had! :lol:

Kalle.

Klinsi.

Dennis.

Zamo!

Who?

Bobo.

Adriano.

Crespooo!

Still barely managed to win a league! :D

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Stefano Fiore

Abel Balbo

Domenico Morfeo

Angelo Di Livio

Benoit Cauet

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Leo Junior - mostly known as a brilliant left-back from the famous 1982 "Joga Bonito" Brazil national team he moved to Italy in 1984, at the age of 30, and played for Torino mostly as a defensive midfielder. In 1985 he won Serie A player of the year - ahead of the likes of Maradona, Platini, Elkjaer and Scirea, with Torino finishing runners-up in the league.

One of my favorites

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

Toninho Cerezo
What a great pair of midfielders you put up there, Stobz! Jugovic is rarely mentioned when people talk about Eastern European football greats, which makes me sad because Jugovic was a proper complete player able to properly defend and attack. His altruistic nature is one that I admire, limiting his attacking forays (and the display of his attacking abilities :drool:) to do some defensive work for his more attacking teammates.

Re: Toninho, he's an amazing defensive midfielder. Some prefer Alemao over him, but I really like Toninho myself. Maybe it's the bushy moustache that does it for me.

Speaking of which, here's Alemao, the man himself:

Fine moustache, but Toninho's looks neater IMO.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Someone is missing...

Please open the spoiler!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
One of about a dozen rock-solid full-backs that lay in Maldini's shadow during the 1990s.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I mind when Juventus pumped Rangers twice in the Champions League in 1995. There was Torricelli, Di Livio, Conte and Tacchinardi - I've never seen such a collection of hard-working, hard-running midfielders in my life. They were 4-0 up with minutes to go and still buzzing around like they were a goal down. Machines.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Preben Elkjaer - the one who made the impossible possible. He led Hellas Verona to their first and only Scudetto in 1984-85, fighting with Platini's Juve, Maradona's Napoli, Falcao's Roma and Junior's Torino. Against reigning champions Juventus, he scored an incredible solo goal that came to epitomize his refusal to surrender a lost cause. Having picked the ball up on the left wing, he drove forward, rode a tackle, lost his right boot, cut inside a defender and fired a shot with his bootless foot past the goalkeeper.

One day, in Copenhagen, somebody graffitied "What if Jesus comes back?" on a wall. The next day, the answer came: "Then we'll move Elkjær out wide."