Marco Reus

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Unless it were part of a very cunning and subtle plan (so cunning and subtle that I can't begin to understand it), I'd say nah here and now.

ManRed

At this age not required. I would prefer we develop our youngsters than give minutes to players looking for their last paycheck.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Also - he's approximately 103 years old.

So, we wouldn't get more than ten years of service from him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I'm starting to doubt ETH's ability to scout players, if there is any truth in this. Hope we get a football director in asap and help him with recruitment

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Dortmund would probably be happy for us to take him in this transfer window for free. They’ll get to save on his wages while he’s stuck in the treatment room.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm starting to doubt ETH's ability to scout players, if there is any truth in this. Hope we get a football director in asap and help him with recruitment
:lol: for god sake

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon

Teja

Yeah falling into the same pattern we did with other coaches. Give them significant power / say in transfers and sack them when it doesn't work out. All fine and dandy when things go well but utter chaos when things don't.

We're already seeing a scenario where Antony (our 2nd most expensive signing) might be a flop. We spent the whole summer chasing FdJ because of EtH's insistence instead of going for guys like Enzo. Ended up overpaying for Antony as a result. Shaw is proving to be an able contender for that left footed CB position and we splunked 50M on Martinez. No issues with Martinez in particular but what if he hits a bad patch of form or if EtH is sacked? The pressure will really be on him at that point.

The easy thing to do when things are going well is to go with the flow. Why make upset EtH? He has us on similar points totals as City which is a pretty mean feat. But this is why Murtough gets paid the big bucks, he must step in and put in a proper strategy for recruitment.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He has some oddly good defensive stats for his position as well. Creates a lot as well, almost seems like an Eriksen rotation.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It's the Antony transfer that makes me question it.
Yeah falling into the same pattern we did with other coaches. Give them significant power / say in transfers and sack them when it doesn't work out. All fine and dandy when things go well but utter chaos when things don't.

We're already seeing a scenario where Antony (our 2nd most expensive signing) might be a flop. We spent the whole summer chasing FdJ because of EtH's insistence instead of going for guys like Enzo. Ended up overpaying for Antony as a result. Shaw is proving to be an able contender for that left footed CB position and we splunked 50M on Martinez. No issues with Martinez in particular but what if he hits a bad patch of form or if EtH is sacked? The pressure will really be on him at that point.

The easy thing to do when things are going well is to go with the flow. Why make upset EtH? He has us on similar points totals as City which is a pretty mean feat. But this is why Murtough gets paid the big bucks, he must step in and put in a proper strategy for recruitment.
Absolutely. I have no issues with Antony till now but I don't think trusting ETH is way to move forward. Yes, first season is all good when we don't have a structure in place and ETH wants to bring in some trusted lieutenants but it can't continue like this.

Reus has been washed out for years now. I had created a Reus transfer thread almost 10 years back ffs.

Idxomer

Managers are almost never imaginative with their approach to transfers which is why they shouldn't be given that much power in them.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Managers always have a massive say in the recruitment. They should be the ones identifying what positions and profiles of players we want. Making signings on the assumption a manager might get sacked is a horrible idea, as you then aren't properly backing them and it's bound for failure.

Yes a recruitment team should know when to step in and say no, we can't pay up for that and it's out of reach like Arsenal with Mudryk. But targeting Antony isn't an issue at all. He's a left footed RW, which is something we all acknowledge was needed. Ten Hag wanted one for the balance of his side. He also wanted a left footed CB. Shaw can cover, but he isn't our starting CB. He is our starting LB and Martinez is the CB. I don't even understand that example in the slightest as that's been a fantastic signing and we have a perfect situation defensively with starters and depth now because of that, and Ten Hag being able to coach Shaw to be versatile.

Again, the manager highlights the positions of need and a priority list. From there, the club and him should decide together which players to target, and how much they're willing to spend.

Castia

It's all hindsight though isn't it. Not one person on this forum had Shaw playing CB and even then Martinez has been a good signing. Enzo move for about 12m in the summer without much fuss thank feck we're not paying 130m 6 months later.

Teja

Managers always have a massive say in the recruitment. They should be the ones identifying what positions and profiles of players we want. Making signings on the assumption a manager might get sacked is a horrible idea, as you then aren't properly backing them and it's bound for failure.

Yes a recruitment team should know when to step in and say no, we can't pay up for that and it's out of reach like Arsenal with Mudryk. But targeting Antony isn't an issue at all. He's a left footed RW, which is something we all acknowledge was needed. Ten Hag wanted one for the balance of his side. He also wanted a left footed CB. Shaw can cover, but he isn't our starting CB. He is our starting LB and Martinez is the CB. I don't even understand that example in the slightest as that's been a fantastic signing and we have a perfect situation defensively with starters and depth now because of that, and Ten Hag being able to coach Shaw to be versatile.

Again, the manager highlights the positions of need and a priority list. From there, the club and him should decide together which players to target, and how much they're willing to spend.
I think we're way beyond the manager saying I want a player of profile x. He's just actively identifying targets and pushing for their signings ala Jose etc. I don't think he's saying to the scouts find me a versatile attacker that's gettable in Jan (on a loan / free), he's actively saying I want Reus.

You can see his fingerprints all over the place FdJ, Timber, Martinez, Shaqiri etc etc.

Adnan and co justified this for the summer because it's easier for a manager to implement his philosophy with players who already know how to play a certain way instead of coaching both new recruits + existing players into it.

I think we're close to expiration point on that excuse and Murtough should be more involved here. Imagining the failure case a bit - if we sack Ten Hag and we're pitched yet another rebuild then Murtough's head has to roll along with Ten Hag's.

It's all hindsight though isn't it. Not one person on this forum had Shaw playing CB and even then Martinez has been a good signing. Enzo move for about 12m in the summer without much fuss thank feck we're not paying 130m 6 months later.
We had Shaw play in a back three as the LCB and he did fine there. But generally the DoF should understand the squad's profile and prioritize appropriately instead of exclusively relying on the coach's judgement here.

BlueHaze

He was once such a fecking amazing player. Now he is finished though.

Castia

I think we're way beyond the manager saying I want a player of profile x. He's just actively identifying targets and pushing for their signings ala Jose etc. I don't think he's saying to the scouts find me a versatile attacker that's gettable in Jan (on a loan / free), he's actively saying I want Reus.

You can see his fingerprints all over the place FdJ, Timber, Martinez, Shaqiri etc etc.

Adnan and co justified this for the summer because it's easier for a manager to implement his philosophy with players who already know how to play a certain way instead of coaching both new recruits + existing players into it.

I think we're close to expiration point on that excuse and Murtough should be more involved here. Imagining the failure case a bit - if we sack Ten Hag and we're pitched yet another rebuild then Murtough's head has to roll along with Ten Hag's.

We had Shaw play in a back three as the LCB and he did fine there. But generally the DoF should understand the squad's profile and prioritize appropriately instead of exclusively relying on the coach's judgement here.
Yeah I'm not saying we don't need a DoF but the signing thus far have been good imo.

Martinez and Casemiro without a doubt improve the team. Eriksen has been a very good free transfer and whilst Anthony was expensive (our fault btw for waiting too long on the deal) he's been good for the most part.

On topic for Reus and I wouldn't have him even for free he's well past it.

HookedOnAPhelan

Doesn't make sense at all. We have plenty of attacking options at the club, we only need a new striker in the summer.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
34 in the summer, injury prone and we'll likely (hopefully) have actual money to spend then. No thanks.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He played 41 matches last season and 49 the season before. On a free, with his experience and ability to cover multiple positions, its a no brainer.
I agree with the move for nothing. He has missed a lot of football in the years prior to that though. Love him as a player.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Might not have been Reus they were discussing, how about Salih Ozcan, defensive midfielder who also plays for Dortmund and is represented by the same agency as Reus
Who knows.

But it was it was Reus and on a free it could be shrewd business on a 6 month contract with a year extension option.

izec

Guy is finished, like Schweinsteiger. He did not want to leave Dortmund in his prime. They are now not extending with him for a reason

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He played 41 matches last season and 49 the season before. On a free, with his experience and ability to cover multiple positions, its a no brainer.
And missed the world cup with injury, wants decent wages and is 33. No it's not a no-brainer at all, its what we have been doing consistently with:

Cavani,
Ronaldo
Ighalo
Ibra

We don't need to be doing this anymore, invest and develop the next top talents for a team that can challenge consistently for the title in a few years (the Arsenal model if you may)

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
And missed the world cup with injury, wants decent wages and is 33. No it's not a no-brainer at all, its what we have been doing consistently with:

Cavani,
Ronaldo
Ighalo
Ibra

We don't need to be doing this anymore, invest and develop the next top talents for a team that can challenge consistently for the title in a few years (the Arsenal model if you may)
With what money? (In our current situation)

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can’t remember before today the last time I heard his name. Is he any good nowadays? Seems to have faded into obscurity

Cassidy

With what money? (In our current situation)
Quite obviously, talking about the summer, and since we're being sold, what is the issue then?
And if we don't have money to invest, then we can forget the title then, right?

With what money (all the more reason to sign up a 33 year old injury prone player on big wages with no resale value, very smart)

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Quite obviously, talking about the summer, and since we're being sold, what is the issue then?
And if we don't have money to invest, then we can forget the title then, right?

With what money (all the more reason to sign up a 33 year old injury prone player on big wages with no resale value, very smart)
Wasn’t that obvious to be fair

In any case signing Reus would be a January signing and not a summer one - most likely until the end of the season

soapythecat

Doesn’t fit the ETH mould given age and injuries. Maybe, we are dealing with the agent for a different player. Agents usually have quite a few on their books. Who else does this guy manage?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Why can't we sign German players at their prime rather than when they're destroyed by injuries and end up looking bad for us (doesn't particularly help that they don't want to leave before this time).

He's been really bad this season, considering his usual high standards, and we're just going to want him out after a few months. Better for him not to come into such a tough team and league, play out the rest of his career in a smaller BL team if Dortmund don't want to extend.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Only take him for January loan deal without loan fees, just paying his wages. Give them Elanga on loan as well.

This loan move will be almost like Henrik Larsson loan deal.

Cassidy

Wasn’t that obvious to be fair

In any case signing Reus would be a January signing and not a summer one - most likely until the end of the season
Given the conversation was about signing him on a free…