Marco Rose | OFFICIAL: Joining Dortmund at the end of the season

dal

Schooled.. Great post.
I’ve seen a table with the most cumulated points in bundesliga in the last 55 years and gladbach are 6th.

To compare Cardiff and Gladbach is definitely a wild comparison for an argument.

I think Ole likes to play high energy football however he’s also quite pragmatic and considers the opponent and adapts his game to that which is totally fine and that’s his “philosophy”. Feckin philosophers.

Also If you look at the supposed best in Guardiola, Klopp, Ancelotti, Mourinho and on and on please tell me if any of them have won anything significant with a team like Cardiff. Klopp did ok with Mainz but then so did Sam allardyce with Bolton.

If we want to make a fair comparison between managers then compare the managers at the top teams.

For me it’s a toss up between Klopp and Zidane. I wouldn’t judge a manager unless he’s had two full seasons.

Additionally I wouldn’t compare Solskjaer to Rose at the moment and I definitely would’ve be making any sweeping or definitive comparisons just yet.

Solskjaer isn’t just changing a team he’s changing the club and you can feel it. Rose is doing well also, let’s just wait and see how it all plays out.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Van Gaal, Heynckes, Pep, Heynckes, Flick are 5 out of the last 7 appointments that follow a similar style. With Ancelotti they kind of went for the biggest name available (also a friend of Kalle), to fill Guardiola's shoes and after Ancelotti they backed themselves into a corner, by only looking at German speaking coaches, which didn't leave them with a lot of options after Tuchel signed with PSG and ended in Kovac, a former player. Both were rejected by the squad within their first season. Then they gave the job to someone who last was head coach 12 years ago in the 4th division, but follows the footsteps of Van Gaal, Heynckes and Pep and voila: treble. I think that's actually an example that "philosophy" isn't just an empty buzzword.
The gave job to Flick as caretaker manager just like at any club where assistant or some coach takes over as a caretaker manager till new manager is appointed. Flick did so well that it made very easy decision for Bayern. Somehow making it sound like they plucked him some obscurity and gave the job :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Are you misconstruing philosophy with culture?

The club's you have mentioned have created a club culture, to which everyone, from fans right through to players and management have to adhere to.
A managers 'philosophy' in those clubs are based entirely on fitting into the wider club culture, hence the managers philosophy then just become tactics and ideas to fit the culture.

There's a discernable difference between a managers philosophy (essentially tactics and ideas) and a club culture.
Rose has a clear identity in terms of tactics, but realistically Gladbach do not have a culture to rival the Ajax's etc. Especially not in the rest of Europe anyhow, so the way I see it, and you may see differently of course, is Rose has defined tactics but no clear culture.

United have come away from our culture recently, however with the appointment of Ole, we have gone back to that same culture found under SAF, so Ole is working on the culture of the club, his 'philosophy' merely sits within the culture of the club.
I think when people talk about club philosophy or DNA they usually mean that clubs have designated a certain playing style that they try to follow as cohesively as possible with their player signings, their coach appointments and their youth setup. For most of the bigger clubs that's some form of Cruyff-inspired positional/possession football, with the RB teams it's a mixture of Sacchi, Klopp or Rangnick (whoever you want to credit).

And when people talk about a coach's philosophy they usually mean the that his teams play a distinct style of football with certain core principles that remain somewhat constant no matter what club he joins.

Club philosophy follows a broader tactical archetype or school, coaching philosophy is the practical implementation of such an archetype.

When Eberl confirmed the signing of Rose he said that they got rid of Hecking (despite the 5th place finish, which demanded some explanations), because they needed to restructure the club for the future and Rose with his way of playing football ("a new idea of playing football") fulfilled these demands.

It reminded me a bit of when Bayern signed van Gaal and they almost reverentially called him football teacher.

The gave job to Flick as caretaker manager just like at any club where assistant or some coach takes over as a caretaker manager till new manager is appointed. Flick did so well that it made very easy decision for Bayern. Somehow making it sound like they plucked him some obscurity and gave the job :lol:
There were reports that Bayern appointed Flick with the purpose of acting as a backup for Kovac in mind. I never said they plucked him from obscurity, he was a respected football mind before, but by the criteria most people on here set out he never should have been anywhere near the top job.

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I think when people talk about club philosophy or DNA they usually mean that clubs have designated a certain playing style that they try to follow as cohesively as possible with their player signings, their coach appointments and their youth setup. For most of the bigger clubs that's some form of Cruyff-inspired positional/possession football, with the RB teams it's a mixture of Sacchi, Klopp or Rangnick (whoever you want to credit).

And when people talk about a coach's philosophy they usually mean the that his teams play a distinct style of football with certain core principles that remain somewhat constant no matter what club he joins.

Club philosophy follows a broader tactical archetype or school, coaching philosophy is the practical implementation of such an archetype.

When Eberl confirmed the signing of Rose he said that they got rid of Hecking (despite the 5th place finish, which demanded some explanations), because they needed to restructure the club for the future and Rose with his way of playing football ("a new idea of playing football") fulfilled these demands.

It reminded me a bit of when Bayern signed van Gaal and they almost reverentially called him football teacher.

There were reports that Bayern appointed Flick with the purpose of acting as a backup for Kovac in mind. I never said they plucked him from obscurity, he was a respected football mind before, but by the criteria most people on here set out he never should have been anywhere near the top job.
Which all leads really to club culture rather than a managers philosophy.

The manager is brought in to continue the club's cultural ideals.

A correct culture at at club generally always leads to success.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Any club in the world would have given him contract when his record was bat shit crazy as a caretaker manager. Even Bayern didn't think he was worthy to be a head coach, that's why he was assistant and luckily for Flick and Bayern, Kovac was too shit and Flick got chance as caretaker. It's more of a 'right person at right place' than some awesome planning to replace Kovac with a coach who didn't manage a team in 12 years.

Re bold part, I really doubt that. Now that he is awesome, it's easy to come up with theories like this.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Surprisingly this thread has not been bumped after a good win against Naglesmann...

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
So how was the game? I only found some brief German reports in a quick search. It seems that Leipzig had the upper hand in the first half but without clear chances. Then a bit more even in the second half, and another period of Leipzig domination near the end when they were chasing the equalizer, but again no real threat. I'd be more curious about the tactical side though. What did you guys think?

Grande

I dont know a thing about this guy as a manager and not gonna pretend that i do but its really pathetic watching certain section of this forum hiding in shadows just waiting a moment to pop and take a swing at other managers. Best part its not because they have poor opinion of them, they feel threatned by even mentioning their names in here.

Its really mental that you cant actually mention names of other managers in here no more without weirdos take that as some kind of a attack on Ole.
Is it me, or is this rather the example of a polarizing comment? i went back about 50 posts from this comment, and found 1 who was even critical at all, albeit writing he was sure Rose is a very good coach, but found the other posts a bit overhyping. Ole wasn’t mentioned, as far as I could see.

It just seems a bit of a paranoid straw man hunt and hyperbolic summary of the reality of the forum. I love to have Solskjær as a manager, and am very curious about Rose as a coach. Watched the game vs Real Madrid and was impressed. Most posters I see in this thread seem to have space for both possibilities.

Grande

Wasnt able to watch the full entirety of the match, but have to say that these are the matches that show how much they are sorely missing Zakaria. The speed in transition from defense into attack when under pressure is much slower with him out, especially as they continued to look through the center and played pretty compact.
Having said that though, I thought the scoreline accurately reflected the match, RB looked tame for the most part, really only had one guilt edged chance which Sommer tipped over. RB didnt really do much in their periods of dominance. Both teams seemed really sluggish.
Not to wonder, maybe, as both teams just gave a lot of energy against two very good teams, only to be punished very hard towards the end. They are also two teams you can see nullifying each other if they are both a bit careful.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Thanks people! I appreciate the discussion.

lysglimt

Scout
I don't know why some United fans are eager to dismissive promising managers. The whole insecure "elite hipster.." nonsense reeks of being overly defensive over what we have. For me , it's clear - Manchester United should always keen an eye out for next top class managers in the making. Even if you believe in Ole, surely, as of the biggest and most ambitious clubs on the planet, just like we have a responsibility to scout for footballers, the same is true for mangers especially in this day and age when managerial stints don't last very long.

So this constant beating down of anyone who isn't a completely established great like Pep, etc is silly. In addition, there's also seemingly a tendancy for some to frown upon a manager having a strong tactical imprint. Are these good qualities we'd like to have at our club? As opposed to mere pretentious and cosmetic fluff. Of course there are many ways to skin a cat but who doesn't admire beautiful football? Surely everyone would prefer winning with style rather than like Atletico Madrid?
It's not a question of dismissing manager - it's more a question of understanding that Man United is something completely different to a semi-big club in Germany. You could say that OGS never tried it either as a manager, but at least he has been here as a player - he knows what is required and expected. If we were to hire Nagelsmann or Rose, who both are capable managers - they will come from clubs where they aren't really expected to win anything. They are coming from clubs well-placed in the shadows of Bayern M and Borussia Dortmund - to arguably the biggest club on the talent.

Here they aren't only supposed to win each match - but do it in style. And God knows we have a lot of fans who would turn against them if things don't work out from the start.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Van Gaal, Heynckes, Pep, Heynckes, Flick are 5 out of the last 7 appointments that follow a similar style. With Ancelotti they kind of went for the biggest name available (also a friend of Kalle), to fill Guardiola's shoes and after Ancelotti they backed themselves into a corner, by only looking at German speaking coaches, which didn't leave them with a lot of options after Tuchel signed with PSG and ended in Kovac, a former player. Both were rejected by the squad within their first season. Then they gave the job to someone who last was head coach 12 years ago in the 4th division, but follows the footsteps of Van Gaal, Heynckes and Pep and voila: treble. I think that's actually an example that "philosophy" isn't just an empty buzzword.
I'm sorry I still don't see the similarities. Pep, LVG and Heynckes are very different both in offensive and defensive parts /let alone transitions. What I can say is that Bayern is very well run and few years back (under Kovac) nobody thought Bayern will win the treble. The ability for the squad to maintain a particular standard (Not style of play) regardless of managers is commendable.

georgipep

Is it me, or is this rather the example of a polarizing comment? i went back about 50 posts from this comment, and found 1 who was even critical at all, albeit writing he was sure Rose is a very good coach, but found the other posts a bit overhyping. Ole wasn’t mentioned, as far as I could see.

It just seems a bit of a paranoid straw man hunt and hyperbolic summary of the reality of the forum. I love to have Solskjær as a manager, and am very curious about Rose as a coach. Watched the game vs Real Madrid and was impressed. Most posters I see in this thread seem to have space for both possibilities.
I think it's more a comment related to other threads where people are discussing Ole and suggesting replacing him with Rose, Nagelsmann, Poch or whoever. And in those cases I'd say it is perfectly deserved to have pushback.

Some seem to think they can claim manager X is better for United than Ole (or just better) and other have to agree with them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's not a question of dismissing manager - it's more a question of understanding that Man United is something completely different to a semi-big club in Germany. You could say that OGS never tried it either as a manager, but at least he has been here as a player - he knows what is required and expected. If we were to hire Nagelsmann or Rose, who both are capable managers - they will come from clubs where they aren't really expected to win anything. They are coming from clubs well-placed in the shadows of Bayern M and Borussia Dortmund - to arguably the biggest club on the talent.

Here they aren't only supposed to win each match - but do it in style. And God knows we have a lot of fans who would turn against them if things don't work out from the start.
Everyone knows what is required. The media, fans and most definitely potential managers. Tons of extremely successful managers haven't been at their clubs before they achieved the success their. Knowing the club is nice, but it isn't really a substitute for quality and meritocracy, which is what should be the criteria.

The logic goes for players as well. Players Evra and Vidic and tons of others stepped in and got the club as well as anyone did. Firstly becuase they has quality. Secondly becuase they had the mentality. Those are the two you want from your manager. It's like when you hire anyone - you dont hire becuase they've been there but because they can perform if they do come.

Grande

Yea, they did nullify each other for the most part, had it not been for a lovely goal by Wolf I think it most likely would've ended up nil-nil. I haven't watched RBL to comment, but I wouldnt buy the tiredness excuse for BM as most of the team was rotated against Mainz, so this was only the second game of the week for most of them.
Well, there is tiredness, but as importantly, there is disappointment. Giving it all, doing very well, having a great result, then getting unhinged, will often give people a blow in terms of disappointment and confidence. These are human beings, and it’s not the first time such an experience have shown to dampen or make a team more careful the next game.

rotherham_red

I’ve seen a table with the most cumulated points in bundesliga in the last 55 years and gladbach are 6th.

To compare Cardiff and Gladbach is definitely a wild comparison for an argument.

I think Ole likes to play high energy football however he’s also quite pragmatic and considers the opponent and adapts his game to that which is totally fine and that’s his “philosophy”. Feckin philosophers.

Also If you look at the supposed best in Guardiola, Klopp, Ancelotti, Mourinho and on and on please tell me if any of them have won anything significant with a team like Cardiff. Klopp did ok with Mainz but then so did Sam allardyce with Bolton.

If we want to make a fair comparison between managers then compare the managers at the top teams.

For me it’s a toss up between Klopp and Zidane. I wouldn’t judge a manager unless he’s had two full seasons.

Additionally I wouldn’t compare Solskjaer to Rose at the moment and I definitely would’ve be making any sweeping or definitive comparisons just yet.

Solskjaer isn’t just changing a team he’s changing the club and you can feel it. Rose is doing well also, let’s just wait and see how it all plays out.
I noticed no one responded to this post... Wonder why? :rolleyes:

Very well articulated and spot on.

Ole might very well not be the man who gets us winning trophies, but he's the only manager post-SAF who had the brass tacks to actually undergo a proper rebuild of an increasingly stale squad and frankly rotten culture. And for that, he'll have my eternal respect as manager of this club.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I noticed no one responded to this post... Wonder why? :rolleyes:

Very well articulated and spot on.

Ole might very well not be the man who gets us winning trophies, but he's the only manager post-SAF who had the brass tacks to actually undergo a proper rebuild of an increasingly stale squad and frankly rotten culture. And for that, he'll have my eternal respect as manager of this club.
What from that post did you feel warranted a response?

Gladbach are probably the 5th biggest team in Germany and having a total points accumulation of 6th in Buli history is probably par or below par for them.

The like of Klopp might not have won anything with Mainz but he had shown his capability at a struggling club which got him a bigger job in which he defeated Bayern twice to the title and made the UCL final. He started from the bottom in the coaching chain and progressed to the top due to his body of work which was noticeable. The difference between him and Allardyce is huge from a football view point which is why Allardyce wouldn't ever be considered by a big club IMO.

And the rest of the post you're referring to is spot on because I do agree we shouldn't compare coaches who have a huge differential when it comes to financial wealth and pulling power due to the club they're at.

rotherham_red

What from that post did you feel warranted a response?

Gladbach are probably the 5th biggest team in Germany and having a total points accumulation of 6th in Buli history is probably par or below par for them.

The like of Klopp might not have won anything with Mainz but he had shown his capability at a struggling club which got him a bigger job in which he defeated Bayern twice to the title and made the UCL final. He started from the bottom in the coaching chain and progressed to the top due to his body of work which was noticeable. The difference between him and Allardyce is huge from a football view point which is why Allardyce wouldn't ever be considered by a big club IMO.

And the rest of the post you're referring to is spot on because I do agree we shouldn't compare coaches who have a huge differential when it comes to financial wealth and pulling power due to the club they're at.
Maybe the fact that do.ob was comparing Cardiff to BM, and which you commended, was in of itself was ridiculous.

Klopp also got Mainz relegated, which conveniently gets left out. He's a fantastic manager and he deserves every bit of credit he gets, but if Ole gets criticised for a relegation with a basket case of a club who only got back to the Prem once in the 7 years since, then Klopp can be similarly held accountable for his relegation as well as the sorry state he left Dortmund in. You'll point to mitigating factors at both clubs there, I'm sure, but strangely very few offers of mitigation are being proferred for Ole at Cardiff among the same crowd. Indeed, when do.ob mentioned the Cardiff relegation, you mentioned that he "schooled" the poster.

I didn't cast any aspersions on either Rose or Klopp, just that people using such coaches as a stick to beat the manager with is frankly tedious and counterproductive when Ole has been consistently getting good-great results almost every time he comes up against an overmatched or evenly matched opponent.

He isn't some joke. Yes, he had issues for a while coming up against defensive teams but since Bruno came in those issues have been predominantly a thing of the past. Lockdown came at the worst time as the players who kept us above water last year pre-Bruno were not sharp enough to continue when Pogba and Rashford came back in to the team. What we're seeing now, is a meshing between all the good parts of us pre-lockdown (and post-Bruno) and what we had when Pogba and Rashford came back. This is what I was looking forward to last season and what was missing post-lockdown towards the end and hopefully we'll continue on the progress moving forwards.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maybe the fact that do.ob was comparing Cardiff to BM, and which you commended, was in of itself was ridiculous.

Klopp also got Mainz relegated, which conveniently gets left out. He's a fantastic manager and he deserves every bit of credit he gets, but if Ole gets criticised for a relegation with a basket case of a club who only got back to the Prem once in the 7 years since, then Klopp can be similarly held accountable for his relegation as well as the sorry state he left Dortmund in. You'll point to mitigating factors at both clubs there, I'm sure, but strangely very few offers of mitigation are being proferred for Ole at Cardiff among the same crowd. Indeed, when do.ob mentioned the Cardiff relegation, you mentioned that he "schooled" the poster.

I didn't cast any aspersions on either Rose or Klopp, just that people using such coaches as a stick to beat the manager with is frankly tedious and counterproductive when Ole has been consistently getting good-great results almost every time he comes up against an overmatched or evenly matched opponent.

He isn't some joke. Yes, he had issues for a while coming up against defensive teams but since Bruno came in those issues have been predominantly a thing of the past. Lockdown came at the worst time as the players who kept us above water last year pre-Bruno were not sharp enough to continue when Pogba and Rashford came back in to the team. What we're seeing now, is a meshing between all the good parts of us pre-lockdown (and post-Bruno) and what we had when Pogba and Rashford came back. This is what I was looking forward to last season and what was missing post-lockdown towards the end and hopefully we'll continue on the progress moving forwards.
You know if Cardiff were still in the EPL, they would have a financial advantage over Gladbach. So no it's not as ridiculous as you're making it sound. Only a year or so ago they spent over £15m on one player.. The difference is that Gladbach have Max Eberl who knows how to run the football side.

You do know that Klopp got Mainz into the top flight for the first time in their history? And when they got to the top flight it's been reported by the likes of Honigstein, that Mainz were comfortably the smallest club in the German top flight and he (Klopp) he had them punching way above their actual level for a few seasons before they were relegated. Klopp had taken them as high they could go at the time.

I'm not criticizing Solskjaer by the way so not sure what correlation your last paragraph has to to with what I'm saying. I'm actually fully behind him right and hope we can win the game later.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

You're extrapolating an awful lot from one sentence, where I told a user, who didn't seem to understand why Solskjaer (brought up by him) is viewed differently than Rose, that Ole having a failure on his CV, where Rose has none is a factor.

I never compared Cardiff to Gladbach, because that would be moronic. No matter what revenue might say one is among the better and ambitious clubs in its competition and the other isn't.

And the Klopp comparison is a risky one. He finished his playing career to step into the coaching role mid-season, to turn around Mainz' fortunes in the relegation battle. The next season they were a top team after a couple of near misses he got them promoted for the first time, where he guided them to two safe midtable finishes, despite being on the smalles budget in the league, before getting relegated in their third top flight year. He then stayed on and only barely missed promotion in a race against Gladbach, Hoffenhein, Cologne and Freiburg. He's still a legend at Mainz.
The state he left Dortmund in was so sorry, Watzke can't go a year without telling the media how much he misses Klopp and would love to sign him back.

And then you go: "he got relegated, Solkjaer got relegated, so those two stints are basically the same."

Last edited:

K Stand Knut

Now I love Ole and I'm not in the Ole out camp and think he should be afforded some time based on last season's finish. However I do wonder if he's the right man long term.

Like Rose it only took Pep one preseason to have City playing like Barca so the right coach can have that effect, which is what I want to see here.
Ok. So, Pep (or Rose) got a team playing in one way in one pre-season. Great but isn’t the criticism of Pep that he only plays one way and has no ‘Plan B’, which causes equal problems at times??

I haven’t seen enough of Monchenglagbach to comment on Rose specifically and I am not advocating that Ole is better or worse than anyone but there Is clear arguments for and against Ole, especially when it comes to managers like Rose, Tuchel and Nagelsmann, for example

NYAS

He’s having Shakhtar for lunch. Those diagonal balls are killing them.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'm getting more and more keen on the idea of him as our next manager.

NYAS

I wonder what the negative spin from this will be, I’m enjoying the mental gymnastics.
“Shakhtar are cannon fodder” while conveniently leaving out the fact they won at Real, held Inter and were top of the group before this game.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
“Shakhtar are cannon fodder” while conveniently leaving out the fact they won at Real, held Inter and were top of the group before this game.
I mean, a segunda could have beaten us that day and inter were held by themselves more than shakhtar. They are a bad team

That said, gladbach are clearly a very well coached side

NYAS

I mean, a segunda could have beaten us that day and inter were held by themselves more than shakhtar. They are a bad team

That said, gladbach are clearly a very well coached side
Every game is a combination of one team being good and the other bad to varying degrees - doesn’t take away from the fact Shakhtar were good enough to exploit it on two occasions.

We agree on the main point.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think he’d be great but he’s not going to leave BMG so soon.

Summer 21 maybe but we need to see where we are
I could mean something, it could mean nothing, but when Bild ran a story about him, Nagelsmann and Marsch making up Dortmund's short list for Favre's replacement, his response wasn't that he ruled out a summer move, but rather the standard "I just focus on my job" stuff and their DoF, Eberl, from what I've seen didn't say "not gonna happen" either, but rather that it shows a lack of respect for their club to report this now and that it demonstrates what a good choice Rose has been.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
6-0 now.. Shakhtar can't handle Gladbach's transitions and Rose has absolutely made a mockery of the Shakhtar press. It's also a display where the importance of having good fullbacks in transition is on full show tonight.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
6-0 now.. Shakhtar can't handle Gladbach's transitions and Rose has absolutely made a mockery of the Shakhtar press. It's also a display where the importance of having good fullbacks in transition is on full show tonight.
Sounds great. I really hope we consider managers like him rather than always playing it safe or close to home.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I could mean something, it could mean nothing, but when Bild ran a story about him, Nagelsmann and Marsch making up Dortmund's short list for Favre's replacement, his response wasn't that he ruled out a summer move, but rather the standard "I just focus on my job" stuff.
All due respect, I know Dortmund are a far better run club than United, but asking him about joining Dortmund is a bit different from asking him about joining United. United is one of the biggest managerial jobs in the world, Dortmund very much not so.

They look good, someone tell me more about him im intrigued.
Ask @Adnan

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
I'm getting more and more keen on the idea of him as our next manager.
delete your post ASAP, because Rose will likely end up at the scousers when Klopp calls it a day in a couple of seasons, and someone may well bump this thread to complain about how overrated this new dipper manager is.