Marco Rose | OFFICIAL: Joining Dortmund at the end of the season

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think he deserves a thread on here.

He's a 43 year old German coach who has thus far excelled at both RB Salzburg and currently at Borussia
Mönchengladbach in the German Bundesliga where he has them top of the league, punching way above their weight.

When Mourinho was sacked, Rose was someone I was quite vocal about (United) giving the job to, for his work at RB Salzburg where he implemented a fast and fluid strategy very similar to Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool which was very pleasing on the eye. Currently he's taken that on and has Gladbach 3pts clear in the German Bundesliga. Rose was reported to be on our 5 man shortlist to replace Mourinho per Neil Ashton who presents the Sunday Supplement on Sky.

It'll be interesting to see how he does for the remainder of the season and we can hopefully charter his progress with Gladbach in this thread.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
How many hipster Klopp clones have come out of Germany in the past 5 years? Surely we can nab one of them.

In Rainbows

How many hipster Klopp clones have come out of Germany in the past 5 years? Surely we can nab one of them.
Yet I have no confidence we'll get one. Seeing as Nagelsman could end up at Bayern, we should go after Marco Rose.

Marco Rose punched above his weight in the Europa 2 seasons ago, and also won the uefa youth league with Red Bull prior to being a first team manager. He's a big part of building that entertaining Red Bull Salzburg team this season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Interview in English with Roses's #2 Maric from 2016. An interesting insight into the tactical strategies and player development behind the duos success.

passing-wind

If he has an attacking philosophy, can improve individual players through coaching and has relevant measure of successes in his career thus far, I don't see why he shouldn't be considered.

Mcking

I hope we are still in for him as was reported. Ten Hag and Nagelsmann are the ones on everyone's lips, and that could work to our advantage. Giving an option between either three, I'd have Rose.
I voted for him in the 'next permanent manager' thread, and Gladbach's performances this season has served to convince me even more. I think he is certainly gettable, is at the right age, and looks like he has the personality to go with his ability as a coach. He's got a great head as #2 too.

Ekeke

The kind of manager I'd like us to go with. Someone on the up with recent success and a nice style of play that has been effective. Having a well drilled team would certainly be very different for us also. Dont know if he would be the right man, but hes the kind of profile I'd be happy for us to go with

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The kind of manager I'd like us to go with. Someone on the up with recent success and a nice style of play that has been effective. Having a well drilled team would certainly be very different for us also. Dont know if he would be the right man, but hes the kind of profile I'd be happy for us to go with
Sounds like a good fit for us. But also the sort of manager we don't usually go for.

Post Moyes, our choices have been either the biggest name managers available (Mourinho and LVG) or most obvious choice (Ole because of the clamour after the run). Would be great if we went for a upcoming quality manager with progressive ideas/tactics and possibly his peak infront of him.

amolbhatia50k

Surely if he has a club like Gladbach top in a major league, he has to at least be under consideration at our club?

Crashoutcassius

Surely if he has a club like Gladbach top in a major league, he has to at least be under consideration at our club?
Tbf it is only first week on November. Lots of wierd teams can be top this early. If he wins it or puts up very strong challenge it is a proper achievement. Otherwise, Granada were top in Spain last week

Hawks2008

If he has an attacking philosophy, can improve individual players through coaching and has relevant measure of successes in his career thus far, I don't see why he shouldn't be considered.
Hasn't got United DNA, do not want.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
He does. In general, there are 3 very interesting and progressive managers who looked on their way up atm - ten Hag, Nagelsmann and him. Think all 3 will get a chance at a top club pretty soon.

Raw

He does. In general, there are 3 very interesting and progressive managers who looked on their way up atm - ten Hag, Nagelsmann and him. Think all 3 will get a chance at a top club pretty soon.
I'd be very disappointed in United if we aren't monitoring all three of those as potential candidates. About time we get a manager who can coach a modern style of play into the squad.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
If Rose and Marić are genuine targets for the club as Head Coach and Assistant, we might want to explore the option of offering Rangnick the interim manager job (extending to all branches of football at United) by the new year instead of aimlessly persisting with the current organisation till the end of the season. If he's willing to leave Red Bull to assume that position it will give him the chance (as well the time) to meticulously analyze the players and our setup from close quarters so that he can enforce necessary changes in the summer with a degree of confidence as he transitions to a Director of Football role for the coming years.

Basically the same-ish gig he had at Leipzig before the appointment of Hasenhüttl in 2016 or Nagelsmann in 2019. Another benefit is that he might give United a greater insight into forwards like Werner from Leipzig or Håland/Hee-Chan from Salzburg if we're interested in them for a 4-3-1-2 based model. All things considering Rose-Rangnick-Marić (and maybe Helmut Groß as consultant) would be a complementary and fairly robust trio to re-calibrate the club when you look at Rangnick's vast experience as a rigorous coach/administrator and the commonalities in their respective approaches — with should, at least theoretically, reduce the chances of internal discord given they view football with a compatible set of lenses...
"If you ask his players about him, they are all fond of him, even the ones he didn't choose for his line-up," Leipzig coach Ralf Rangnick commented adding: "He is a brilliant coach and a great character." Rose's most significant characteristics include never to give up and always be positive. Rose is a people catcher, says Rangnick. Rose stands for modern forwarding football and is cherishing what is known as pressing football. The new Moenchengladbach coach was influenced by Klopp and Rangnick. Rangnick, for some time responsible for both RB clubs, Leipzig and Salzburg, implemented the trend-setting style containing irresistible attacking football. Rose developed the method adding a solidly organized defense system.
Link.

Further reading for those who are interested...
https://totalfootballanalysis.com/m...ig-hertha-berlin-bundesliga-tactical-analysis
https://footballbh.net/2019/03/25/marco-rose-red-bull-salzburg-tactical-analysis/

Jim Beam

I'd be very disappointed in United if we aren't monitoring all three of those as potential candidates. About time we get a manager who can coach a modern style of play into the squad.
Yep, at least monitoring and having them on the list should be a must. Suddenly from looking like there aren't so many options (2 or 3 years ago), these have become standout candidates that could make that step up.

Some people will mock them as hipster choices and point at their lack of trophies at the very top level, but it is clear that all of them have progressive coaching ideas and are excellent in terms of implementing them into the team. Which should be, well, pretty important things when you evaluate potential managers.

Infra-red

Be interesting to see how the three do when going head-to-head in Germany (if ten Hag does indeed join Bayern).

Nagelsmann beat Rose 3-1 at Borussia-Park earlier in the season, but Rose's Gladbach side are currently three points clear at the top of the Bundesliga.

amolbhatia50k

Tbf it is only first week on November. Lots of wierd teams can be top this early. If he wins it or puts up very strong challenge it is a proper achievement. Otherwise, Granada were top in Spain last week
Are Gladbach that good personnel wise for only winning it/challenging to be an achievement?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I hope we are still in for him as was reported. Ten Hag and Nagelsmann are the ones on everyone's lips, and that could work to our advantage. Giving an option between either three, I'd have Rose.
I voted for him in the 'next permanent manager' thread, and Gladbach's performances this season has served to convince me even more. I think he is certainly gettable, is at the right age, and looks like he has the personality to go with his ability as a coach. He's got a great head as #2 too.
Neil Ashton who presents the Sunday supplement on sky, reported Rose was one of the five names on the shortlist to replace Mourinho back in January. So i'm hoping we're keeping a close eye on him.

A DoF is a must, and if we can land one of Rose, Nagelsmann, Ten Hag, as the headcoach, then we will be on the right track IMO. But the aforementioned three must be on our shortlist and I really hope we get one through the door at Carrington.

It'll also be interesting to see if we can bring Rangnick as DoF who has been linked to both us and Bayern by Honigstein via The Athletic. Getting him in would be a game changing moment for us and would broaden our horizons somewhat regards coaching appointments and player recruitment.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We joke about this, but the club's board and fans obsession with 'the United way' is going to be the biggest principle holding the club back. We need to move away from it and just find a modern approach.
The people running the club no longer have the United DNA.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Rangnick first to remove Woodward's football responsibilities then Rose or Nagelsmann that Rangnick are very familiar with eventually. One can dream.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We joke about this, but the club's board and fans obsession with 'the United way' is going to be the biggest principle holding the club back. We need to move away from it and just find a modern approach.
Are we ? Don't think we are.
I think the majority of the United fanbase wants the big roles managed by the best possible people. Which,since SAF retired and the incompetence that's evidently followed, we don't seem to have.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Funnily enough, even though someone like Rose is considered progressive and modern and a breath of fresh air, there are times where both Salzburg and now Mönchengladbach look like a Lobanovskyi team from decades ago...the old adage that the more football changes the more it remains the same wrt. recycled or modified mechanics/approach rings true (though maybe I'm mistaken, you'll need @harms or @Demyanenko_square_jaw to refute/corroborate the claim if they have has seen Rose's teams in action)! :lol:

Anyway, while the likes of Rose and Ten Hag are no doubt great options, the market could become pretty competitive pretty quick if Barcelona relieve Valverde of his duties in the coming weeks and months — on top of Bayern sacking Kovač. Culturally, Ten Hag seems to be a positive fit for Barcelona...ditto Rose for Bayern considering he has spent the entirety of his playing/managing career in Germany or Austria (unless he and Bayern's decision-makers don't see eye to eye on a personal level), and we will have to be uncharacteristically proactive to land one of them.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Anyway, while the likes of Rose and Ten Hag are no doubt great options, the market could become pretty competitive pretty quick if Barcelona relieve Valverde of his duties in the coming weeks and months — on top of Bayern sacking Kovač. Culturally, Ten Hag seems to be a positive fit for Barcelona...ditto Rose for Bayern considering he has spent the entirety of his playing/managing career in Germany or Austria (unless he and Bayern's decision-makers don't see eye to eye on a personal level), and we will have to be uncharacteristically proactive to land one of them.
Good observations. I didn't mention ten Hag above for this reason. Neither did i mention Marcelo Gallardo who is being linked with Barcelona.

Jim Beam

Funnily enough, even though someone like Rose is considered progressive and modern and a breath of fresh air, there are times where both Salzburg and now Mönchengladbach look like a Lobanovskyi team from decades ago...the old adage that the more football changes the more it remains the same wrt. recycled or modified mechanics/approach rings true (though maybe I'm mistaken, you'll need @harms or @Demyanenko_square_jaw to refute/corroborate the claim if they have has seen Rose's teams in action)! :lol:
Interesting. I know he is seen as a pragmatist, but reading some stuff about him I would say that Lobanovsky football (or a lot of his ideas and views on football to be precise) still exist in many modern teams. Maybe even more than before (pressing in the final third of the pitch, coordinated attacks and so on).

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Tuchel, Julian, Rose

We need to step into the German market. Get Rangnick in as a dof would certainly be a step in that direction.

NYAS

Good observations. I didn't mention ten Hag above for this reason. Neither did i mention Marcelo Gallardo who is being linked with Barcelona.
Gallardo is an absolute genius of a man. Has made River Plate into a winning machine.

BlueHaze

He's a 43 year old German coach who has thus far excelled at both RB Salzburg and currently at Borussia
Mönchengladbach in the German Bundesliga where he has them top of the league, punching way above their weight.

When Mourinho was sacked, Rose was someone I was quite vocal about (United) giving the job to, for his work at RB Salzburg where he implemented a fast and fluid strategy very similar to Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool which was very pleasing on the eye. Currently he's taken that on and has Gladbach 3pts clear in the German Bundesliga. Rose was reported to be on our 5 man shortlist to replace Mourinho per Neil Ashton who presents the Sunday Supplement on Sky.

It'll be interesting to see how he does for the remainder of the season and we can hopefully charter his progress with Gladbach in this thread.
I remember last year I replied to someone saying he's not proved anything that suggests he would be up for the job, actually I think it was to you Adnan. So far he's done really well at Gladbach. If he keeps this up for the remainder of the season I'd say he should be a candidate at least.

SparkedIntoLife

For those who are more familiar with him, what's Marco Rose's personality like? Is he studious, passionate, cerebral, aggressive etc.? I'm super impressed by what I have seen from his teams but wonder how he'd do character wise at United. Some great managers at lower profile clubs have made the jump to a prestigious club and fallen apart. I doubt this is likely to be Marco Rose but I don't know much about how he handles the press, his general disposition, his temperament, whether he's a decent guy or not etc.

mu4c_20le

How do we know its not just new manager bounce? The season hasn't even finished. We are literally hyping him based on a good run.

WelshManc

I think we'll miss out on a chance to get him as Ed Woodward will give Ole time just because he seems to be a yes man. I love Ole, just as all of us do but he's not cut out to be manager of Manchester Utd, whereas this guy seems to tick every single box.

If we could implement a system that involved this guy as our manager and Ralf Rangnick as DOF then we could get back to where we want to be. Give a job to Paul Mitchell in some capacity too.