Marco Rose | OFFICIAL: Joining Dortmund at the end of the season

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
No, I'm just asking for a bit of realism and context.
A draw from what was a very commanding position, two goals to the good with essentially 7 minutes left to play is not a good result, no matter which way you try and swing it.

Had you told Rose they would draw before the game he would have probably been happy, but context is the key, ask him now and he'd say a draw is a bad result.

Also against a team that lost at home to a lesser team than Gladbach last week, again context is key.
Trying to reduce a game of 90+ minutes to its last 7 isn't providing context. It's more like the opposite: selectively picking facts that suit a narrative.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Trying to reduce a game of 90+ minutes to its last 7 isn't providing context. It's more like the opposite: selectively picking facts that suit a narrative.
Not really,
You contradicted yourself there.
A game of football is played out over 90 plus minutes, which encompasses the 3 minutes of normal time plus the 4 added minutes.
And all that matters at the end of it is the result.

When a team has 3 minutes plays added time to see out a two goal lead you kind of expect them to hold out, to not do so is a slight issue.

But what's more alarming is the amount of goals Gladbach concede in the last ten minutes of games. This is more concerning and doesn't point to a narrative like you suggest, it points to actual evidence of an issue that Rose needs to adjust.
Game management seems to be a major issue.

Pep's Suit

He's a very good manager but don't see which PL club he could join in near future. I'd expect Chelsea or United to go after a big-name manager again so maybe Nagelsmann to City and Rose to Leipzig?

monosierra

Exactly, people just finding reasons to protect their loved ones.
Overhyped:lol: If anything, he is so underappreciated.
Word. "Overhype" is such a relative term - you come to a thread about the man and of course he is the suvbject of discussion. I swear to God, with all the media available nowadays and our ability to take in in, there is a disparity between what is actually going on in the wider world versus the perception of the wider world we see through our biased lens - which nonetheless, through sheer quantity, gives the impression that it is an accurate representation of the wider world.

Devil may care

Zakaria isn't even back yet and last week Rose himself said he didn't know when he would be returning.
Oh right, I thought he was back given the article the other day about us and Bayern watching him, sounds a bit concerning.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Not really,
You contradicted yourself there.
A game of football is played out over 90 plus minutes, which encompasses the 3 minutes of normal time plus the 4 added minutes.
And all that matters at the end of it is the result.

When a team has 3 minutes plays added time to see out a two goal lead you kind of expect them to hold out, to not do so is a slight issue.

But what's more alarming is the amount of goals Gladbach concede in the last ten minutes of games. This is more concerning and doesn't point to a narrative like you suggest, it points to actual evidence of an issue that Rose needs to adjust.
Game management seems to be a major issue.
No I'm not. I'm seeing the game as a whole, I see that he drew Real, which is a success for him, given his club's vastly inferior ressources and his team's lack of experience.

You however literally said that the final result can't count as a success, because of what happened at the end.

" A draw from what was a very commanding position, two goals to the good with essentially 7 minutes left to play is not a good result, no matter which way you try and swing it. "

It's indeed true that they have dropped quite a few leads late into the game this season and it's a question that has to be analyzed (could be tactics, could be inexperience in the CL, could be the fact that he has to sub off his key players for mediocre ones every game), but that doesn't invalidate what happened before.

Last edited:

Champ

No I'm not. I'm seeing the game as a whole, I see that he drew Real, which is a success for him, given his club's vastly inferior ressources and his team's lack of experience.

You however literally said that the final result can't count as a success, because of what happened at the end.

" A draw from what was a very commanding position, two goals to the good with essentially 7 minutes left to play is not a good result, no matter which way you try and swing it. "

It's indeed true that they have dropped quite a few leads late into the game this season and it's a question that has to be analyzed (could be tactics, could be inexperience in the CL, could be the fact that he has to sub off his key players for mediocre ones every game), but that doesn't invalidate what happened before.
Wow,
So throwing away a two goal lead with three minutes big normal time left is a good result now yeah?!
I've already stated previously that Rose would have taken a draw before the game, however I'm sure he will be thinking that it's a poor result now given what happened in the game.
You can't tell me honestly that you would be happy with that result given the way the game happened if you were in his position?

With regards to the late goals, just a non scientific study, but I've calculated since the beginning of the year, they have conceded 41% of all their goals in the last ten minutes, even more if you expand that to the last 15 minutes.

Now that's alarming. It points to a massive issue,
It's not inexperience with the players, they have between them a huge amount of international caps, players like Sommer, Ginter, Lainer, Elvedi all have massive experience of the game.
Could be subs, but he then has talent such as Embolo to call on, Herrmann who played a huge amount of games last season. So maybe the quality isnt as high but again, plenty of experience.
Could be tactics, in which case, surely an upcoming manager with a firm grasp of the game can understand that they need to eradicate the late goals, maybe changing the shape, bringing on an extra defender etc, surely after nearly a year of conceding late goals they would have sorted it out?

bucky

Are people actually criticising Rose and this Gladbach team for a getting a draw against Madrid?! :lol:

Skills

Snitch
I dont know a thing about this guy as a manager and not gonna pretend that i do but its really pathetic watching certain section of this forum hiding in shadows just waiting a moment to pop and take a swing at other managers. Best part its not because they have poor opinion of them, they feel threatned by even mentioning their names in here.

Its really mental that you cant actually mention names of other managers in here no more without weirdos take that as some kind of a attack on Ole.
I've said this before many times, but the root of this is just our fanbase has a seriously unhealthy relationship with the managers job. They're not too unlike the MAGA group, but for their anthem is something like "Back the manager" or "Give him time"

edcunited1878

His name came up first when he won the youth league with Salzburg, then the next year he made an EL semi when he took over the first team and when he joined Gladbach the team immediately clicked as well, earning 10 points more than his predecessor and now he's got them competing with Inter and Real. All while playing attractive football with a clear identity. Bringing up Klopp or his nationality smells like cheap attempt at talking him down, he's getting the plaudits based on sporting merit, he earned them on the pitch.
It's not a cheap attempt at taking him down, but it shows where his pedigree comes from. They have common principles in the way their teams play football. The Austrian and German football leagues and some teams are developing or have been, a certain 'style' that many people are 'attracted' to because it's breeding success or at least positive results. Managers such as Rose, Nagelsmann, Hasenhuttl, etc. While their teams are doing well, there are so many people claiming them to be the next best thing without giving them the proper time to prove themselves. And then they still have to choose to make a big jump in terms of a bigger team within Germany or outside of Germany.

Credit goes to Gladbach because they identified Rose and understood that they had a foundation of players and recruitment style that is conducive to how they want to play and they saw that Rose can do it for them.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's not a cheap attempt at taking him down, but it shows where his pedigree comes from. They have common principles in the way their teams play football. The Austrian and German football leagues and some teams are developing or have been, a certain 'style' that many people are 'attracted' to because it's breeding success or at least positive results. Managers such as Rose, Nagelsmann, Hasenhuttl, etc. While their teams are doing well, there are so many people claiming them to be the next best thing without giving them the proper time to prove themselves. And then they still have to choose to make a big jump in terms of a bigger team within Germany or outside of Germany.

Credit goes to Gladbach because they identified Rose and understood that they had a foundation of players and recruitment style that is conducive to how they want to play and they saw that Rose can do it for them.
There are dozens of coaches who follow "German principles" (let's call them that for now, for simplicities sake). But Rose stands out among the crowd, because he delievered real success at both Salzburg and Gladbach, his pedigree comes from that EL semi with Salzburg and from turning Gladbach from an also-ran into a top four team people take seriously last season and into a team competing with Inter and Real in the CL this season, not from association with others. He'd be very highly regarded even if there never was a Klopp and it's cetrainly no negative that someone else has already proven how successful a similar idea of football can be either.
Obviously every new club is always a different beast, especially if they are vastly superior/inferior financially, but you can only beat what's in front of you and thus far Rose has done just that. So he deserves all the praise he gets.
And naturally club's shouldn't just sign every young coach who has a good season, but being proven is actually the overrated thing, as many coaches have shown by now. Both young coaches who successfully stepped up and older coaches, who were so proven they were actually way past their prime.

Champ

There are dozens of coaches who follow "German principles" (let's call them that for now, for simplicities sake). But Rose stands out among the crowd, because he delievered real success at both Salzburg and Gladbach, his pedigree comes from that EL semi with Salzburg and from turning Gladbach from an also-ran into a top four team people take seriously last season and into a team competing with Inter and Real in the CL this season, not from association with others. He'd be very highly regarded even if there never was a Klopp and it's cetrainly no negative that someone else has already proven how successful a similar idea of football can be either.
Obviously every new club is always a different beast, especially if they are vastly superior/inferior financially, but you can only beat what's in front of you and thus far Rose has done just that. So he deserves all the praise he gets.
And naturally club's shouldn't just sign every young coach who has a good season, but being proven is actually the overrated thing, as many coaches have shown by now. Both young coaches who successfully stepped up and older coaches, who were so proven they were actually way past their prime.
Gladbach were hardly also rans...
Having secured a top four place twice in the five seasons pre Rose, and top five in the season before he joined.
Now there's no agenda here, but I feel its a similar situation with Poch at Spurs. Poch joined spurs when they were a team finishing 4th/5th/6th on a regular basis, he then took them one second place, two thirds and 4th again.
Improvements yes, but very gradually and no silverware despite these slight improvements.
Rose seems to be the same. He took over a side that bar one shocker, has finished in the top 5 consistently, and led them so far to 4th, once again, a very slight improvement on last season.

So in conclusion, 'success' is a relative term, Salzburg yes, Gladbach, not quite a success yet. But then when was the last time Salzburg didn't win their respective league? His extra success there seems to be the semi final Europa League appearance.
Context and relativity are wonderful things, it stands to reason that this season will be a defining one in how Rose is perceived moving forward.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Gladbach were hardly also rans...
Having secured a top four place twice in the five seasons pre Rose, and top five in the season before he joined.
Now there's no agenda here, but I feel its a similar situation with Poch at Spurs. Poch joined spurs when they were a team finishing 4th/5th/6th on a regular basis, he then took them one second place, two thirds and 4th again.
Improvements yes, but very gradually and no silverware despite these slight improvements.
Rose seems to be the same. He took over a side that bar one shocker, has finished in the top 5 consistently, and led them so far to 4th, once again, a very slight improvement on last season.

So in conclusion, 'success' is a relative term, Salzburg yes, Gladbach, not quite a success yet. But then when was the last time Salzburg didn't win their respective league? His extra success there seems to be the semi final Europa League appearance.
Context and relativity are wonderful things, it stands to reason that this season will be a defining one in how Rose is perceived moving forward.
Gladbach dropped off significantly after Favre left. 16/17 they finished 9th, 17/18 they finished 9th, 18/19 they finished 5th, but if you look deeper you'll see that Hazard and Plea took turns carrying them to victories with individual brilliance during the first half of the season and when things reverted to mean in the second half they finished that part of the season as 10th.

Unlike Rose, Poch had a genuine top team at his disposal (at least for a while) and for a while also really weak domestic competition. Him not winning anything with Spurs has a different quality than Rose not winning the league with Gladbach or not winning European cups with Salzburg. Though I would not not call him a good coach because of that. And of course it should go without saying that attaching certainty to the notion that Rose is going to be say a top 3 coach in the world is as stupid as dismissing him out of hand.

Last edited:

Champ

Gladbach dropped off significantly after Favre left. 16/17 they finished 9th, 17/18 they finished 9th, 18/19 they finished 5th, but if you look deeper you'll see that Hazard and Plea took turns carrying them to victories with individual brilliance during the first half of the season and when things reverted to mean in the second half they finished that part of the season as 10th.

Unlike Rose, Poch had a genuine top team at his disposal (at least for a while) and for a while also really weak domestic competition. Him not winning anything with Spurs has a different quality than Rose not winning the league with Gladbach or not winning European cups with Salzburg. Though I would not not call him a good coach because of that. And of course it should go without saying that attaching certainty to the notion that Rose is going to be say a top 3 coach in the world is as stupid as dismissing him out of hand.
I think personally the scenarios between Rose at Gladbach and Poch at Spurs are very similar.

I myself am not dismissing him out of hand, I feel this is the season to truly judge his credentials.

I do feel though that the clamour for him is a little excessive and a tad over the top based on what he has actually achieved in the game.
The fact that Ole gets daggers pelted at him, (and only use Ole as an example due to the relevance of him being United manager, and that's in essence what people want Rose to be) for a similar not not better history in the game than Rose.
Ole has won multiple trophies as reserve/youth manager and three major trophies at Molde, along with a third place premiership finish.
Roses career is very very similar in terms of numbers albeit less with youth/reserve level.

So the issue I take hold is why the clamour for Rose, yet there seems to be less clamour from football fans, not just United fans, for Ole?
So this isn't a Rose V Ole post, just a post to suggest that yes he is an upcoming manager, but he hasn't yet shown anything warranting the clamour that is building up around him.
We've seen this same buzz around Poch, who now seems to be on his way to Zenit...sometimes these managers just aren't all that.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think personally the scenarios between Rose at Gladbach and Poch at Spurs are very similar.

I myself am not dismissing him out of hand, I feel this is the season to truly judge his credentials.

I do feel though that the clamour for him is a little excessive and a tad over the top based on what he has actually achieved in the game.
The fact that Ole gets daggers pelted at him, (and only use Ole as an example due to the relevance of him being United manager, and that's in essence what people want Rose to be) for a similar not not better history in the game than Rose.
Ole has won multiple trophies as reserve/youth manager and three major trophies at Molde, along with a third place premiership finish.
Roses career is very very similar in terms of numbers albeit less with youth/reserve level.

So the issue I take hold is why the clamour for Rose, yet there seems to be less clamour from football fans, not just United fans, for Ole?
So this isn't a Rose V Ole post, just a post to suggest that yes he is an upcoming manager, but he hasn't yet shown anything warranting the clamour that is building up around him.
We've seen this same buzz around Poch, who now seems to be on his way to Zenit...sometimes these managers just aren't all that.
I mean if in your book Solskjaer and Rose have the same achievements in the game, while one is coaching Gladbach and the other is coaching Man Utd, spending €80m on centerbacks, buying luxury midfielders for €40m, then that kind of speaks for itself, doesn it?
Ole also had his stint at Cardiff, a stain on his CV that Rose doesn't have. You can always hope he learned from it, but it matters a lot in terms of perception.
Not to mention Rose actually won the youth league, something most people will probably value more highly than domestic youth competitions (not that it matters a lot at this point anyway).

And of course Rose has a clear philosophy, you could see from the start how he turned Gladbach into a cohesive unit, often greater than the sum of its parts. Especially compared to his more "pragmatic" predecessor. It's easy to imagine how his whole system will scale upwards with better players. Solskjaer doesn't necessarily give that same vibe. Pure counter attacking football is not really a widely recognized recipe for dominance. After 1.5 half years you still have people asking about Ole's philosophy. I don't know if it would be an exaggeration if I said no one ever asked such questions of Rose.

Last edited:

Champ

I mean if in your book Solskjaer and Rose have the same achievements in the game, while one is coaching Gladbach and the other is coaching Man Utd, spending €80m on centerbacks, buying luxury midfielders for €40m, then that kind of speaks for itself, doesn it?
Ole also had his stint at Cardiff, a stain on his CV that Rose doesn't have. You can always hope he learned from it, but it matters a lot in terms of perception.
Not to mention Rose actually won the youth league, something most people will probably value more highly than domestic youth competitions (not that it matters a lot at this point anyway).

And of course Rose has a clear philosophy, you could see from the start how he turned Gladbach in a cohesive unit, often greater than the sum of it's part. Especially compared to his more "pragmatic" predecessor. It's easy to imagine how his whole system will scale upwards with better players. Solskjaer doesn't necessarily give that same vibe. Pure counter attacking football is not really a widely recognized recipe for dominance. After 1.5 half years you still have people asking about Ole's philosophy. I don't know if it would be an exaggeration if I said no one ever asked such questions of Rose.
I'm not going to turn this into an Ole v Rose debate, because as you say, one is managing one of the biggest clubs in the world, the other is managing gladbach...

I would say Ole has learnt alot from that stint at Cardiff, probably more than he did at Molde, failure like that in those circumstances must shape a guys outlook massively, and that is another reason why Rose may not be up to it yet, experience, or lack of it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

And of course Rose has a clear philosophy, you could see from the start how he turned Gladbach in a cohesive unit, often greater than the sum of it's part. Especially compared to his more "pragmatic" predecessor. It's easy to imagine how his whole system will scale upwards with better players. Solskjaer doesn't necessarily give that same vibe. Pure counter attacking football is not really a widely recognized recipe for dominance. After 1.5 half years you still have people asking about Ole's philosophy. I don't know if it would be an exaggeration if I said no one ever asked such questions of Rose.
Schooled.. Great post.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
After 1.5 half years you still have people asking about Ole's philosophy
Guardiola has done so much damage to football

Now you can't be a good manager unless you have a philosophy :houllier:

Champ

Schooled.. Great post.
Didn't realize it was point scoring, here was I assuming it was a debate about an upcoming manager.
Read my response and see if I was 'schooled'...

And then input some posts with content please.
Cheers.

Champ

I remember Johan using a footballing philosophy before Pep,

I'd say it takes years for a team to buy into a managers 'philosophy', Barca proved that.

But some people seem to think it takes weeks.

GenZRed

I'd say it takes years for a team to buy into a managers 'philosophy', Barca proved that.

I think that's because that's how it works on Football Manager.

Champ

I think that's because that's how it works on Football Manager.
:lol: yeah you're probably right.

As good as that game is, it appears to have produced a new generation of so called expert fans.

There's so many traits to being a good manager, good ideas and good tactics are half of the story, it's pointless being a great tactician if you can't motivate your players to carry out them tactics correctly.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Schooled.. Great post.
Not being funny but you go from one hipster name to the next. Wasn't it you that was shouting Milenković's name in every thread a few years back? What's he done since? Bet you were one who was championing the likes of William Carvalho as well

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Didn't realize it was point scoring, here was I assuming it was a debate about an upcoming manager.
Read my response and see if I was 'schooled'...

And then input some posts with content please.
Cheers.
It's pointless discussing anything with you because first you referenced match reports to make a point about Gladbach being outplayed by BVB which was refuted not only by BVB fans who watched the game but also a Man Utd fan who did. But you still carried on with your tangent and wouldn't admit you may have been wrong.

Why don't you admit you come in here to play down Marco Rose because you're insecure when someone suggests he has the potential to coach Manchester United which irks you because you're a ardent believer in Ole.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not being funny but you go from one hipster name to the next. Wasn't it you that was shouting Milenković's name in every thread a few years back? What's he done since? Bet you were one who was championing the likes of William Carvalho as well
Milenkovic is still a good player and will get a move to a bigger club soon. Inter, United and Atletico Madrid have shown interest in him.

No I was against signing William Carvalho..

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Yes, and Michels, and Sacchi, and Happel, etc before Cruyff

Before Guardiola nobody talked about philosophy like this, as if a clearly defined, unchanging and recognizable playing style are a necessity to be recognized as a great manager

As opposed to performance and results...

Champ

It's pointless discussing anything with you because first you referenced match reports to make a point about Gladbach being outplayed by BVB which was refuted not only by BVB fans who watched the game but also a Man Utd fan who did. But you still carried on with your tangent and wouldn't admit you may have been wrong.

Why don't you admit you come in here to play down Marco Rose because you're insecure when someone suggests he has the potential to coach Manchester United which irks you because you're a ardent believer in Ole.
No, because I'm not an ardent believer in Ole. He's got nothing to do with the reason I frequent this thread.
Only you my friend appear to be insecure, what with your incessant juvenile jibes and incorrect guesses as to my being here.
I frequent this thread because this guy has been touted by many as future United management material.
I am watching his career closely, what I don't want to see is United fall for the wrong manager again, and so far I see nothing in Rose that excites me anymore than than say Hassenhuttl for example.

Just because someone has a difference of opinion with a game, does not make them wrong.
There's not many 3-0 victories that are not comfortable, and I gave two examples of reports one from BBC and one from the Bundeliga (you know, the league they are in) which backed up my interpretation of the game.
You may think otherwise, and that's your prerogative.

Champ

Yes, and Michels, and Sacchi, and Happel, etc before Cruyff

Before Guardiola nobody talked about philosophy like this, as if a clearly defined, unchanging and recognizable playing style are a necessity to be recognized as a great manager

As opposed to performance and results...
Nail on head right there with that last sentence.

It's almost as if philosophy is a distraction from actual tangible evidence of improvements or results for some.

Van Gaal was guilty of this to a degree at United.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No, because I'm not an ardent believer in Ole. He's got nothing to do with the reason I frequent this thread.
Only you my friend appear to be insecure, what with your incessant juvenile jibes and incorrect guesses as to my being here.
I frequent this thread because this guy has been touted by many as future United management material.
I am watching his career closely, what I don't want to see is United fall for the wrong manager again, and so far I see nothing in Rose that excites me anymore than than say Hassenhuttl for example.

Just because someone has a difference of opinion with a game, does not make them wrong.
There's not many 3-0 victories that are not comfortable, and I gave two examples of reports one from BBC and one from the Bundeliga (you know, the league they are in) which backed up my interpretation of the game.
You may think otherwise, and that's your prerogative.
'Touted by many'? I must've been one of a small minority of people who brought him up on this forum during a time when people couldn't look past Poch or Nagelsmann.

Hassenhuttl would be the right move aswell IMO if we decided to hire a coach. Doesn't mean I'm gonna be right but I always believe in appointing someone who looks to impose their game on the opposition. And with our financial wealth they'd have a great chance to do that.

Do you admit you used the match reports from the outlets you mentioned to form your opinion on the game in question? But if you watched the game then can you break the game down for me so I can understand how BVB played Gladbach off the park?

You will have ample opportunities to come into this thread and play down Rose, because he will lose games. And he's playing Leipzig on Saturday which will be a tough game and a potential loss which should give you some ammunition to unload in this thread.

Champ

'Touted by many'? I must've been one of a small minority of people who brought him up on this forum during a time when people couldn't look past Poch or Nagelsmann.

Hassenhuttl would be the right move aswell IMO if we decided to hire a coach. Doesn't mean I'm gonna be right but I always believe in appointing someone who looks to impose their game on the opposition. And with our financial wealth they'd have a great chance to do that.

Do you admit you used the match reports from the outlets you mentioned to form your opinion on the game in question? But if you watched the game then can you break the game down for me so I can understand how BVB played Gladbach off the park?

You will have ample opportunities to come into this thread and play down Rose, because he will lose games. And he's playing Leipzig on Saturday which will be a tough game and a potential loss which should give you some ammunition to unload in this thread.
BBB were comfortable throughout. As I say, I'll use the Bundeliga review to backup my claim and my thoughts on the game: 'Haaland earns Dortmund comfortable win over Gladbach.'
As I say you don't have to take my word for it, but you could take the league's word for it maybe?

I think your first paragraph highlights your insecurity, I believe, and I could be wrong, but I believe you want to be the one that founded this guy, that unearthed a gem, and take it to heart when people question if he is actually that diamond in the rough.

In fact I remember you commenting in the Poch thread that you can't look past Rose or Naglesmann, so maybe you are one of them people you mentioned...I guess you have your favourites, whereas I would prefer to see how their respective seasons pan out before passing judgement.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

It's not just Guardiola though, it applies to Klopp just as much. And many other successful coaches. Clubs too: Ajax, Barca (at least they used to) and Bayern are the most prominent examples - the latter two being two of the top three clubs of the past like 10 years. The RB company teams also achieved success by following a clear philosophy.
It's not like pragmatic coaches can't have success, but if you want consistency as a club it really helps if you formulate a philosophy and hire players and coaches that fit it. Rose having a clear identity is a big plus for a club that wants to see such football on the other hand United's post SAF years in particular are a good example of what can happen if you approach the coaching role as "all we want is good results".

I also have my doubts whether you can actually use the more extreme parts of possession or pressing football if they aren't part of a philosophy you drill into your team every week.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
BBB were comfortable throughout. As I say, I'll use the Bundeliga review to backup my claim and my thoughts on the game: 'Haaland earns Dortmund comfortable win over Gladbach.'
As I say you don't have to take my word for it, but you could take the league's word for it maybe?

I think your first paragraph highlights your insecurity, I believe, and I could be wrong, but I believe you want to be the one that founded this guy, that unearthed a gem, and take it to heart when people question if he is actually that diamond in the rough.

In fact I remember you commenting in the Poch thread that you can't look past Rose or Naglesmann, so maybe you are one of them people you mentioned...I guess you have your favourites, whereas I would prefer to see how their respective seasons pan out before passing judgement.
No I wasn't the first one to mention him at all so you're wrong with your insiniuation about my insecurities.

So you admit you didn't watch the game hence using match reports to form your opinion? If you didn't watch the game it's no big deal.

I've always preferred United to appoint potential coaches on the basis of their coaching ability to coach attacking football because I don't believe it's difficult to setup to thwart attacks and counter. So if a coach is proactive in his coaching the reactiveness won't be difficult to implement for certain games against elite level teams. Even in United's history we've had two managers (Busby&Fergie) who implemented a proactive strategy going forward which was fun to watch and brought great success and made United the juggernaut it is today. I want United to go back to it's roots whether that be with Solskjaer or someone else.

So the above is the reason why I want coaches who are proactive in their approach hence me wanting Nagelsmann, Rose or even Hassenhuttl and I'm sure there's many other candidates. But that doesn't mean they will succeed but I'm sure the journey will be fun at the very least.

Champ

No I wasn't the first one to mention him at all so you're wrong with your insiniuation about my insecurities.

So you admit you didn't watch the game hence using match reports to form your opinion? If you didn't watch the game it's no big deal.

I've always preferred United to appoint potential coaches on the basis of their coaching ability to coach attacking football because I don't believe it's difficult to setup to thwart attacks and counter. So if a coach is proactive in his coaching the reactiveness won't be difficult to implement for certain games against elite level teams. Even in United's history we've had two managers (Busby&Fergie) who implemented a proactive strategy going forward which was fun to watch and brought great success and made United the juggernaut it is today. I want United to go back to it's roots whether that be with Solskjaer or someone else.

So the above is the reason why I want coaches who are proactive in their approach hence me wanting Nagelsmann, Rose or even Hassenhuttl and I'm sure there's many other candidates. But that doesn't mean they will succeed but I'm sure the journey will be fun at the very least.
I agree with your reasoning behind wanting an attack minded strategy from a United manager, that I can definitely get behind.

I haven't seen enough from any of the candidates you explicitly mention to suggest they have what it takes to be a United manager.
That's not to say they won't in future, just right now Rose et al are the upcoming 'trendy' managers that people seem to fawn over. Similar to Jose back in the day i suppose.

And, again, for at least the third time, I watched the damn game. :lol: I am using press articles and articles by the Bundeliga to backup my claim of a comfortable victory by BVB, I mean I can take being wrong but when the actual league write up suggests I'm right it does raise the potential that I actually could be, and don't raise your voice to say it, correct.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree with your reasoning behind wanting an attack minded strategy from a United manager, that I can definitely get behind.

I haven't seen enough from any of the candidates you explicitly mention to suggest they have what it takes to be a United manager.
That's not to say they won't in future, just right now Rose et al are the upcoming 'trendy' managers that people seem to fawn over. Similar to Jose back in the day i suppose.

And, again, for at least the third time, I watched the damn game. :lol: I am using press articles and articles by the Bundeliga to backup my claim of a comfortable victory by BVB, I mean I can take being wrong but when the actual league write up suggests I'm right it does raise the potential that I actually could be, and don't raise your voice to say it, correct.
I could be wrong and Rose might not live upto his potential because there's plenty of pit falls ahead and you need that bit of luck aswell. Mourinho for example should've been out of the UCL with Porto in the knock out stages in the 03/04 season if the officials had done their job and not incorrectly ruled out Scholes' goal. But he got the rub of the green and got to play with Roman's Rubles the season after.

Ok fair enough you watched the game..

Champ

I could be wrong and Rose might not live upto his potential because there's plenty of pit falls ahead and you need that bit of luck aswell. Mourinho for example should've been out of the UCL with Porto in the knock out stages in the 03/04 season if the officials had done their job and not incorrectly ruled out Scholes' goal. But he got the rub of the green and got to play with Roman's Rubles the season after.

Ok fair enough you watched the game..
Who wouldn't want to play with Romans rubles?! :lol:

It'll be an interesting a season, I'll be in here whether Gladbach wins or loses.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's not just Guardiola though, it applies to Klopp just as much. And many other successful coaches. Clubs too: Ajax, Barca (at least they used to) and Bayern are the most prominent examples - the latter two being two of the top three clubs of the past like 10 years. The RB company teams also achieved success by following a clear philosophy.
It's not like pragmatic coaches can't have success, but if you want consistency as a club it really helps if you formulate a philosophy and hire players and coaches that fit it. Rose having a clear identity is a big plus for a club that wants to see such football on the other hand United's post SAF years in particular are a good example of what can happen if you approach the coaching role as "all we want is good results".

I also have my doubts whether you can actually use the more extreme parts of possession or pressing football if they aren't part of a philosophy you drill into your team every week.
That's true I think.
Bayern's four coaches before Flick were: Kovac, Heynckes, Ancelotti and Guardiola. All four of them extremely similar managers with similar footballing philosophy. Jesus.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That's true I think.
Bayern's four coaches before Flick were: Kovac, Heynckes, Ancelotti and Guardiola. All four of them extremely similar managers with similar footballing philosophy. Jesus.
Van Gaal, Heynckes, Pep, Heynckes, Flick are 5 out of the last 7 appointments that follow a similar style. With Ancelotti they kind of went for the biggest name available (also a friend of Kalle), to fill Guardiola's shoes and after Ancelotti they backed themselves into a corner, by only looking at German speaking coaches, which didn't leave them with a lot of options after Tuchel signed with PSG and ended in Kovac, a former player. Both were rejected by the squad within their first season. Then they gave the job to someone who last was head coach 12 years ago in the 4th division, but follows the footsteps of Van Gaal, Heynckes and Pep and voila: treble. I think that's actually an example that "philosophy" isn't just an empty buzzword.

Last edited:

Champ

Are you misconstruing philosophy with culture?

The club's you have mentioned have created a club culture, to which everyone, from fans right through to players and management have to adhere to.
A managers 'philosophy' in those clubs are based entirely on fitting into the wider club culture, hence the managers philosophy then just become tactics and ideas to fit the culture.

There's a discernable difference between a managers philosophy (essentially tactics and ideas) and a club culture.
Rose has a clear identity in terms of tactics, but realistically Gladbach do not have a culture to rival the Ajax's etc. Especially not in the rest of Europe anyhow, so the way I see it, and you may see differently of course, is Rose has defined tactics but no clear culture.

United have come away from our culture recently, however with the appointment of Ole, we have gone back to that same culture found under SAF, so Ole is working on the culture of the club, his 'philosophy' merely sits within the culture of the club.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't know why some United fans are eager to dismissive promising managers. The whole insecure "elite hipster.." nonsense reeks of being overly defensive over what we have. For me , it's clear - Manchester United should always keen an eye out for next top class managers in the making. Even if you believe in Ole, surely, as of the biggest and most ambitious clubs on the planet, just like we have a responsibility to scout for footballers, the same is true for mangers especially in this day and age when managerial stints don't last very long.

So this constant beating down of anyone who isn't a completely established great like Pep, etc is silly. In addition, there's also seemingly a tendancy for some to frown upon a manager having a strong tactical imprint. Are these good qualities we'd like to have at our club? As opposed to mere pretentious and cosmetic fluff. Of course there are many ways to skin a cat but who doesn't admire beautiful football? Surely everyone would prefer winning with style rather than like Atletico Madrid?