Marco Rose | OFFICIAL: Joining Dortmund at the end of the season

poleglass red

don't follow german football so I'll be honest, I nothing about this fella. Is he an attacking modern style manager, high press, attacking full backs, play out from the back type. I just looked at Bundesliga from last season, I see points wise he was close to RBL and Dortmund, but quite a bit off in goals scored. Is that just a reflection of other teams resources in thay have more money to spend and Rose's success is perhaps more admirable as he's working with what he's got. For all the plaudits RBL have gotten from last season, Monchengladach were only a point behind.Be interesting to see how they fare this season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Going in with the diamond formation, allowing Munich to press so easily and to bypass the Gladbach press due to an overload in midfield.
It also left space on the wings for Bayern to exploit, which let's be honest is a basic error against Munich.
Quite obvious he made a mistake as he changed things early in the second half when it was obvious things weren't improving.
He played a narrow 4-4-2 diamond formation but the problem wasn't the formation but rather Hoffman and Benes doing a poor job in containing Kimmich and Davies out wide. The plan was to close the space centrally and make Bayern go on the wings but unfortunately for Rose, his two #8s couldn't contain the Bayern fullbacks (Kimmich&Davies) who controlled their zones against Hoffman and Benes which pulled Zakaria out of position and opened the game up for Bayern.

Bayern have a much better team so it's not a surprise that their players will control the zones and the likes of Davies and Kimmich will win their individual battles against Benes and Hoffman.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He played a narrow 4-4-2 diamond formation but the problem wasn't the formation but rather Hoffman and Benes doing a poor job in containing Kimmich and Davies out wide. The plan was to close the space centrally and make Bayern go on the wings but unfortunately for Rose, his two #8s couldn't contain the Bayern fullbacks (Kimmich&Davies) who controlled their zones against Hoffman and Benes which pulled Zakaria out of position and opened the game up for Bayern.

Bayern have a much better team so it's not a surprise that their players will control the zones and the likes of Davies and Kimmich will win their individual battles against Benes and Hoffman.
Lets agree to disagree, but to me it's obvious he made a mistake by being narrow, Bayern are consistently dangerous using pace on the wings, have been for years, so a very strange decision to go for a different formation than usual.

And once again, I Reiterate my point that just because they have a 'better' team on paper, doesn't mean they are dead certs to win, and they didn't. Gladbach are hardly cannon fodder.

Daniel_de_Foe

Supports
Member of the BLPA
From a proud member of the Bundesliga Protection Alliance (sorry for the horrible English, haven’t wrote for 5 years)

BPL seems a very good soil for German managers. Hasenhüttl shows you can go very far with a team that is basically a top ten Bundesliga team from the tactical standpoint. Smart midfield Press to defend and from time to time a bid of Attack Press to harass the opponent. Rose is even more flexible than Hasenhüttel, his teams are better in possession.

But the Problem with all these non-English managers is they are essentially coaches, who used to work with a DOF at their club. Even if they get the manager part right, they are the strongest when coaching the fist team, like new formations or new tactical approaches. By bringing these coaches into a management position you’re robbing them of their greatest strengths.

Another big problem is: Pressing is extremely coaching-intensive. It almost doesn’t matter who your players are, as long as they are on an average level and they are doing exactly what you want. Klopp used a German third tier player in midfield (Leo Kirch) when they were defeating Real Madrid 2:0 in the CL Quarter Finals 2014 at home (after losing 0:3 in Madrid). But a team full of stars with big egos won’t transform into a very good pressing team, PSG is the best example. I am very skeptical if united can be such a team.

Reactions: Invictus

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
For a little bit of context, they’ve also been missing their best, and arguably most important player, in Zakaria for the season so far.
I think that is a bit of a stretch. Zakaria might be their most valuable player in Euros, but they have been coping rather well with his injury (which also goes to Rose's credit of course). I don't think a return of his will elevate them that much. Plea and Thuram however offer that kind of individual attacking quality that they can't compensate with a well executed system.

A brief way of saying why he's highly rated is probably that he instantly imprinted his style upon his team, finishing the season with a 10 point gain on his predecessor, competing with the top teams and in his second season he has them standing their ground in a group of death.

As far as Bundesliga goes I think most people rate Nagelsmann more highly though. Rose has been doing really well and seems to have a good chance of establishing himself as a top coach, but Nagelsmann is a prodigy who made miracles happen at Hoffenheim and basically shattered all age records.

Last edited:

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Is that Plea guy very good or is it just a patch of form? How much would he cost?

Champ

From a proud member of the Bundesliga Protection Alliance (sorry for the horrible English, haven’t wrote for 5 years)

BPL seems a very good soil for German managers. Hasenhüttl shows you can go very far with a team that is basically a top ten Bundesliga team from the tactical standpoint. Smart midfield Press to defend and from time to time a bid of Attack Press to harass the opponent. Rose is even more flexible than Hasenhüttel, his teams are better in possession.

But the Problem with all these non-English managers is they are essentially coaches, who used to work with a DOF at their club. Even if they get the manager part right, they are the strongest when coaching the fist team, like new formations or new tactical approaches. By bringing these coaches into a management position you’re robbing them of their greatest strengths.

Another big problem is: Pressing is extremely coaching-intensive. It almost doesn’t matter who your players are, as long as they are on an average level and they are doing exactly what you want. Klopp used a German third tier player in midfield (Leo Kirch) when they were defeating Real Madrid 2:0 in the CL Quarter Finals 2014 at home (after losing 0:3 in Madrid). But a team full of stars with big egos won’t transform into a very good pressing team, PSG is the best example. I am very skeptical if united can be such a team.
Welcome to the discussion.
Interesting points, and backs up my claims earlier in the thread that a team is greater than the sum of its parts if working together and working hard.

Do you get think thought that these upcoming managers need to adapt a plan B? Not many of them seem to be able to adapt their teams to a plan B if things aren't working...

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Is that Plea guy very good or is it just a patch of form? How much would he cost?
He had a very good season for Favre in Nice before Gladbach bought him for significant money and he's been quality for them, too.
But he's not that young anymore and he's used to being the centerpiece of Gladbach's attack, so he'd probably be too big a risk if United bought him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Welcome to the discussion.
Interesting points, and backs up my claims earlier in the thread that a team is greater than the sum of its parts if working together and working hard.

Do you get think thought that these upcoming managers need to adapt a plan B? Not many of them seem to be able to adapt their teams to a plan B if things aren't working...
If you think Rose doesn't adapt to certain opposition then I'm gonna ask what you've been watching.

Just recently he adapted to playing against Madrid and our earlier discussion about the Bayern game was him adapting his strategy for a very strong Bayern team.

Last edited:

Champ

If you think Rose doesn't adapt to certain opposition then I'm gonna ask what you've been watching.

Just recently he adapted to playing against Madrid and our earlier discussion about the Bayern game was him adapting his strategy for a very strong Bayern team.
Rose has consistently played the same formation, which works for him.
The game against Bayern he changed the formation and realised he made a mistake and reverted to type.
He played his usual formation against Real. He seemed to tweak it slightly in that last quarter of the game, they almost played 5 at the back, and they got punished.
So yeah, I'm asking if he doe have a legitimate plan B which works for him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Rose has consistently played the same formation, which works for him.
The game against Bayern he changed the formation and realised he made a mistake and reverted to type.
He played his usual formation against Real. He seemed to tweak it slightly in that last quarter of the game, they almost played 5 at the back, and they got punished.
So yeah, I'm asking if he doe have a legitimate plan B which works for him.
What does formation have to do with how you approach the game? You could play 4-2-3-1 and adopt a pragmatic approach or play the same formation and be very attack minded.

Champ

What does formation have to do with how you approach the game? You could play 4-2-3-1 and adopt a pragmatic approach or play the same formation and be very attack minded.
A plan B usually denotes a complete change of how a team usually plays.
Not if the wingbacks bomb forward or not, or of a midfielder holds his position or not.
Those are tactical tweaks.
For example, Oles plan B is the 3 or 5 at the back like against Chelsea, a complete change from the usual formation.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not if the wingbacks bomb forward or not, or of a midfielder holds his position or not.
For example, Oles plan B is the 3 or 5 at the back like against Chelsea, a complete change from the usual formation.
But a formation doesn't necessarily denote how a team approaches the game IMO. Rodgers at Liverpool played 3 at the back and almost won the league scoring over a 100 goals in the season. Gasperini at Atalanta plays with 3 at the back too and were very attack minded. Ajax in the mid 90s played 3-4-3 and were probably one of the most attack minded teams at the time.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
This constant call for a "plan B" is just an empty media phrase most of the time, code for "they lost so they should have done things differently". You don't drill certain principles into your team and try to create a certain confidence about them, just to abandon them when a difficult opponent comes along. A degree of tactical flexibility and adaption is of course important, but a coach who constantly lets the opposition dictate how his team approaches the game is a coach whose team lacks cohesion in possession and against the ball.
And what's written on the formation sheet is almost meaningless. You can write down a classical 433 on the sheet and one game it looks like that on the pitch, in another one a CMs drops between the defenders, the fullbacks push up aggressively and it's a 343 or 325 in possession. Even seemingly like for like changes can make a big difference, e.g. when you substitute a defensive minded CM, who wants to provide cover for someone who sees himself more like a #10 and pushes up the field and takes risks. Or when you substitute an inverse wide player for someone who interprets the position more like a classical winger.

That being said: this is Gladbach's last season:

So even by "plan B standards" you should be quite satisfied?!

Last edited:

Champ

This constant call for a "plan B" is just an empty media phrase most of the time, code for "they lost so they should have done things differently". You don't drill certain principles into your team and try to create a certain confidence about them, just to abandon them when a difficult opponent comes along. A degree of tactical flexibility and adaption is of course important, but a coach who constantly lets the opposition dictate how his team approaches the game is a coach whose team lacks cohesion in possession and against the ball.
And what's written on the formation sheet is almost meaningless. You can write down a classical 433 on the sheet and one game it looks like that on the pitch, in another one a CMs drops between the defenders, the fullbacks push up aggressively and it's a 343 or 325 in possession. Even seemingly like for like changes can make a big difference, e.g. when you substitute a defensive minded CM, who wants to provide cover for someone who sees himself more like a #10 and pushes up the field and takes risks. Or when you substitute an inverse wide player for someone who interprets the position more like a classical winger.

That being said: this is Gladbach's last season:

So even by "plan B standards" you should be quite satisfied?!
Ah yes, having a back up formation and tactics is just a media phrase.

A plan B is having a complete change of focus in order to win a game, or a complete change half way through a game in order to change the way a game is going.
Rose has changed his formation a few times recently, with no real success, and I use the examples the other poster gave, the game V Bayern, and the game V Real.
Both changes of formation, both resulted in relative failure, (a poor first hour v Bayern, two goals conceded v real)
I get as a manager you don't want to change what's not broken, however we have seen on occasions that when things are not going the way of Gladbach, Rose ends up either reverting to type or not being able to change things.

With regards to the stats you've given on the change of formation, I assume the bracketed figure is the amount of games, in which case Rose has used the same formation in 70% of games,
I'd wager that Ole has used his favoured formation a lot less than that, doesn't make it a bad thing, just highlights what I suspect, which is Rose doesn't yet have a bonafide plan B that has seemed to work for him.
What it does highlight though, is an identity, which is something missing with the way United play for example.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Ah yes, having a back up formation and tactics is just a media phrase.

A plan B is having a complete change of focus in order to win a game, or a complete change half way through a game in order to change the way a game is going.
Rose has changed his formation a few times recently, with no real success, and I use the examples the other poster gave, the game V Bayern, and the game V Real.
Both changes of formation, both resulted in relative failure, (a poor first hour v Bayern, two goals conceded v real)
I get as a manager you don't want to change what's not broken, however we have seen on occasions that when things are not going the way of Gladbach, Rose ends up either reverting to type or not being able to change things.

With regards to the stats you've given on the change of formation, I assume the bracketed figure is the amount of games, in which case Rose has used the same formation in 70% of games,
I'd wager that Ole has used his favoured formation a lot less than that, doesn't make it a bad thing, just highlights what I suspect, which is Rose doesn't yet have a bonafide plan B that has seemed to work for him.
What it does highlight though, is an identity, which is something missing with the way United play for example.
You're not seriously bringing up Solskjaer as an example, are you?
This is the same stat for United's last PL season:

To completely change focus you need to have one in the first place. What is Ole's focus? And I can only repeat: most coaches don't really do that. They have built and drilled their squads to play a certain way and in almost all cases they rather try to make tweaks and find solutions within that framework instead of asking their players to do something they aren't comfortable with. Changing formation is not a "plan B" either. A formation with a back 3/5 can be used to park the bus just as much as it can be used to play an attacking style. You can completely retain your style, despite using a different formation.

Last edited:

Champ

You're not seriously bringing up Solskjaer as an example, are you?
This is the same stat for United's last PL season:

To completely change focus you need to have one in the first place. What is Ole's focus? And I can only repeat: most coaches don't really do that. They have built and drilled their squads to play a certain way and in almost all cases they rather try to make tweaks and find solutions within that framework instead of asking their players to do something they aren't comfortable with. Changing formation is not a "plan B" either. A formation with a back 3/5 can be used to park the bus just as much as it can be used to play an attacking style. You can completely retain your style, despite using a different formation.
Changing formation is a plan B, the definition of a plan b is to have an alternative option, which a change of formation would be.

I use Ole because he's the current manager of United, and Rose is being touted as a future United manager, I've explained by is previously, to me it makes sense.
I think we both know that Ole has used several formations depending on the opposition, intact using two or sometimes three formations depending on the flow of the game.
Most managers will have a preference for formations, but will train their team in different formations depending on the opposition, it would appear to me that Rose did this against Bayern but it failed spectacularly before he reverted to his norm, pointing to both a mistake by Rose and a lack of a cohesive plan B.
Ole got his alternative plan spectacularly wrong against Arsenal, and didn't change things early enough. At least Rose against Bayern changed things.

Pep, Klopp, Jose, All have a preferred formation, yet have another formation(s) that their players are familiar with and they use frequently depending on the scenarios or opposition.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Changing formation is a plan B, the definition of a plan b is to have an alternative option, which a change of formation would be.

I use Ole because he's the current manager of United, and Rose is being touted as a future United manager, I've explained by is previously, to me it makes sense.
I think we both know that Ole has used several formations depending on the opposition, intact using two or sometimes three formations depending on the flow of the game.
Most managers will have a preference for formations, but will train their team in different formations depending on the opposition, it would appear to me that Rose did this against Bayern but it failed spectacularly before he reverted to his norm, pointing to both a mistake by Rose and a lack of a cohesive plan B.
Ole got his alternative plan spectacularly wrong against Arsenal, and didn't change things early enough. At least Rose against Bayern changed things.

Pep, Klopp, Jose, All have a preferred formation, yet have another formation(s) that their players are familiar with and they use frequently depending on the scenarios or opposition.
This is just wrong. At the start of last season Rose was trying out a lot of different things, but using a midfield diamond was perhaps his most common setup. Going down 0-1 after 50 minutes against Bayern is anything but spectacular failure (we're talking about a team which kept trashing opponents even in the CL), he then tweaked his formation, by bringing on an attacker, actually showing that he can adapt. But doing so by staying true to his principles and not "a complete change of how a team usually plays" as you put it.

You mention Klopp: he used a 433 in 35/38 games last season, the most visible adjustment to opposition is probably what midfield trio he picks. You mention Guardiola, when does he ever "completely change" how his team approaches a game? I think the most common criticism of him is that he actually does the opposite.

Solskjaer sometimes changes formation, but when does he just pick an entirely different tactical approach? Like how often do you get the impression that he tells the team that he wants to play an aggressive pressing game or positional football? So for a couple of games he used a 4312 instead of 4231 against top teams - the overall approach was still the same. Passive, hope for a counter. If that constitutes a plan B, or subbing on a defender/attacker based on the game state, then were not talking about having a plan B, were talking about having a plan F, G or H, because that happens several times a game.

One of the very few coaches who actually comes close to what you say is Nagelsmann:

And he's quite special because of it.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

It is extremely rare that coaches have a Plan B that's radically different from their Plan A. Good coaches have strong patterns drilled into their teams, so such a big change is not useful. They tweak their formations, sure, but I'd you're looking for a radically different Plan B- well, I'm completely with @do.ob on that one.

Champ

This is just wrong. At the start of last season Rose was trying out a lot of different things, but using a midfield diamond was perhaps his most common setup. Going down 0-1 after 50 minutes against Bayern is anything but spectacular failure (we're talking about a team which kept trashing opponents even in the CL), he then tweaked his formation, by bringing on an attacker, actually showing that he can adapt. But doing so by staying true to his principles and not "a complete change of how a team usually plays" as you put it.

You mention Klopp: he used a 433 in 35/38 games last season, the most visible adjustment to opposition is probably what midfield trio he picks. You mention Guardiola, when does he ever "completely change" how his team approaches a game? I think the most common criticism of him is that he actually does the opposite.

Solskjaer sometimes changes formation, but when does he just pick an entirely different tactical approach? Like how often do you get the impression that he tells the team that he wants to play an aggressive pressing game or positional football? So for a couple of games he used a 4312 instead of 4231 against top teams - the overall approach was still the same. Passive, hope for a counter. If that constitutes a plan B, or subbing on a defender/attacker based on the game state, then were not talking about having a plan B, were talking about having a plan F, G or H, because that happens several times a game.

One of the very few coaches who actually comes close to what you say is Nagelsmann:

And he's quite special because of it.
Quite obviously Rose wasn't trying things out that much, hence the 70% using the same formation.
The game against Bayern was men against boys for an hour til the change, it was spectacular failure, Bayern were far superior and only poor finishing kept the score to what it was, anyone that argues otherwise is fighting the truth, and before someone else gives the 'but it's Bayern' speech again, I've already stated that every team is beatable if the right tactics and a wee bit of luck is prevalent.

Pep is probably the most adaptable coach there is, constantly adapting and changing the way his team plays depending on scenarios and opposition.
Klopp less so, but we've seen him play one holding midfielder, two holding midfielders, a fluid 433, all to great effect.

I guess we see the game slightly different, as a player myself I will never view a team as better than mine, as I know my team will work hard for each other and set up in the right way. I get the impression that you see a team as far superior and that can't be beaten, although I could be wrong in that?

Champ

Disappointing result for Gladbach today, Leverkusen going well so far this season and looking a better bet for top four than Gladbach so far

What a goal from Lazaro though, doubt we'll see a better one this season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No shame in losing to Leverkusen under Peter Bosz who is one of the 4 options I've picked out as a future United Coach.

Champ

No shame in losing to Leverkusen under Peter Bosz who is one of the 4 options I've picked out as a future United Coach.
The guy who failed at Dortmund?
Had a good spell at Ajax but has never really stayed long at any club he's been at, I'd stay clear personally.
Is there ever a game where Gladbach should actually win?? I swear every game you say there's no shame to them losing!
Certainly Leverkusen are firing on all cylinders right now, definitely a form team, so your right today.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Peter Bosz is the definition of a naive coach. He embraces fully the Cruyffian philosophy of how a football game should be played BUT has zero adaptabillity to the opponents and their strengths and tactics..United fans should always remember how Mou defeated him in that EL final..

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The guy who failed at Dortmund?
Had a good spell at Ajax but has never really stayed long at any club he's been at, I'd stay clear personally.
Is there ever a game where Gladbach should actually win?? I swear every game you say there's no shame to them losing!
Certainly Leverkusen are firing on all cylinders right now, definitely a form team, so your right today.
@do.ob Can you give you a explanation on his time at BVB because he's more knowledgable than I am on Bosz's time at the club.

Yes there is games I expect Gladbach to win but away to Leverkusen under Bosz isn't one of those games. Leverkusen won the same fixure last season 3-1.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Peter Bosz is the definition of a naive coach. He embraces fully the Cruyffian philosophy of how a football game should be played BUT has zero adaptabillity to the opponents and their strengths and tactics..United fans should always remember how Mou defeated him in that EL final..
We defeated him because we had better players. Give Bosz the same funds Mourinho had at United then we can compare.

Champ

@do.ob Can you give you a explanation on his time at BVB because he's more knowledgable than I am on Bosz's time at the club.

Yes there is games I expect Gladbach to win but away to Leverkusen under Bosz isn't one of those games. Leverkusen won the same fixure last season 3-1.
Yeah, as I say, you are certainly right to call this one as a potential loss for Gladbach given Leverkusens form.

I don't know alot about Bosz, I know he failed spectacularly at Dortmund and wasn't he in charge of Ajax when we won the Europa League? I know he's a bit of a journey man manager and has never really built a team as such.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah, as I say, you are certainly right to call this one as a potential loss for Gladbach given Leverkusens form.

I don't know alot about Bosz, I know he failed spectacularly at Dortmund and wasn't he in charge of Ajax when we won the Europa League? I know he's a bit of a journey man manager and has never really built a team as such.
I focus on Bosz's ability to make a team play a proactive brand of football and he does that very well. He even should've defeated Leipzig earlier this season and was unlucky not to win the game IMO. The Dortmund debacle is a blot on his career but even then there's context that needs to be considered as to why he failed at the club.

Yes he was the man in charge when Ajax got to the Europa final against us and is considered by many Dutch fans as the best coach they have.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I focus on Bosz's ability to make a team play a proactive brand of football and he does that very well. He even should've defeated Leipzig earlier this season and was unlucky not to win the game IMO. The Dortmund debacle is a blot on his career but even then there's context that needs to be considered as to why he failed at the club.

Yes he was the man in charge when Ajax got to the Europa final against us and is considered by many Dutch fans as the best coach they have.
It's probably between him and Ten Hag right now. Ten Hag hasn't been at it as long though - and same for Slot. I think Van den Brom has done well in the subtop (but maybe that's just me) and Koeman with the national team (but very inconsistent elsewhere), but that's not really comparable. I don't know who else could even be considered here right now.

I don't think I'd call Bosz a journeyman. He was at Heracles and Vitesse multiple seasons and usually left to join a bigger club. Same for Ajax: he left quickly because Dortmund came calling. Also, as for the EL final - he didn't really have a choice but to play his own game. Going defensive would've gone against all conditioning of their players so likely wouldn't work so well, plus United was much better at that approach and Boss would have gotten slaughtered for it by the Ajax fans. (They are VERY serious about their preferred approach to football.)

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's probably between him and Ten Hag right now. Ten Hag hasn't been at it as long though - and same for Slot. I think Van den Brom has done well in the subtop (but maybe that's just me) and Koeman with the national team (but very inconsistent elsewhere), but that's not really comparable. I don't know who else could even be considered here right now.

I don't think I'd call Bosz a journeyman. He was at Heracles and Vitesse multiple seasons, and only left Ajax quickly because Dortmund came calling. Also, as for the EL final - he didn't really have a choice but to play his own game. Going defensive would've gone against all conditioning of their players so likely wouldn't work so well, plus United was much better at that approach and Boss would have gotten slaughtered for it by the Ajax fans. (They are VERY serious about their preferred approach to football.)
Completely agree mate..

Van den Brom is at Genk currently if i'm not mistaken but I'd like to see him get a opportunity at a club playing at a higher level.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Completely agree mate..

Van den Brom is at Genk currently if i'm not mistaken but I'd like to see him get a opportunity at a club playing at a higher level.
Yeah, he moved over just this week. I know nothing about Genk apart from that they were champions two seasons ago and nowhere near last season. (Also because of a crazy Club Brugge season.) So no idea if their squad is title-challenge quality; but at least it's not beyond the club as such (unlike Utrecht, where Van den Brom is coming from), so I'm quite curious how this is going to play out for him.