Marco Rose | OFFICIAL: Joining Dortmund at the end of the season

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think it might be better for Ten Hag to take the Hassenhuttl route and join a midtable EPL club if the options are limited at the top. He'd likely have more money to spend and more exposure too.
I agree - but wouldn't that be a similar sideways step as Gladbach? That's why I left it out - and also because I was thinking it'd come with more risk, as there are not many clubs that suit him and I'd think also have it comes with more risk, as English clubs seem more demanding and trigger-happy with their managers. But maybe either Leicester or Southampton?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't necessarily disagree, but to my mind, Ten Hag has reached his ceiling in the Netherlands. His squad will never get much better, he's unlikely to get closer to European success than he did two years ago, and he's been Dutch champion. He's basically 'done' at Ajax, and just risks lowering his stock in case he has a lesser year (which would otherwise be normal every now and then).

Gladbach may not be a natural next step, but I don't easily see him for a top job in England (not sure they'd consider him ready), and if Rose joins Dortmund, then the two German top jobs are also out of immediate reach given Flick's success with Bayern. Gladbach, and also Leipzig, seem reasonable choices for me then, to get out of the Dutch cocoon and confirm his qualities. I'd also think he can apply his tactical approach there relatively well. Come to think of it, Leipzig might actually be a better option if Nagelsmann leaves after this season.

But yeah, maybe I'm overestimating Gladbach or underestimating Ajax; but to me, Ajax is really just a blast from the past internationally these days. (Despite that CL semifinal.)
I think you're overestimating Gladbach: the club has made it into the CL only three times, this was the first time they made it into the knockout rounds, they are working on a limited budget, even compared with German (top) clubs and before Covid they only averaged 50k in attendances. The club probably has some room left to grow, but it's not a sleeping giant in the sense that Dortmund were before Klopp or maybe Hamburg/Schalke are. They probably aim for top 6, especially given Leverkusen's level under Bosz. I mean sure, if he feels like he has to leave the Netherlands then a lack of better alternatives might make him consider Gladbach, but their squad isn't built for possession football: Embolo, Hofmann, Stindl, Thuram.. they all want to play direct football and a lot of teams in Bundesliga love nothing more than to play against a sloppy possession side. When the Rose rumours to Dortmund came up Kohfeldt was probably the most commonly named replacement candidate. Marsch might also be a logical choice.
Nagelsmann already stated, with regards to Dortmund rumours, that he's not leaving Leipzig next summer and anyway: "Rasenball's" philosophy is not possession football either.

I think it might be better for Ten Hag to take the Hassenhuttl route and join a midtable EPL club if the options are limited at the top. He'd likely have more money to spend and more exposure too.
I don't think that's a good idea either. Hasenhüttls football is a natural fit for an underdog side, but ten Hag made his name coaching a top club, tactically he'd have to make steps back and compromise even more than he would at Gladbach and we all know how eager the British press is to proclaim some foreign approach as unsuited to the PL.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree - but wouldn't that be a similar sideways step as Gladbach? That's why I left it out - and also because I was thinking it'd come with more risk, as there are not many clubs that suit him and I'd think also have it comes with more risk, as English clubs seem more demanding and trigger-happy with their managers. But maybe either Leicester or Southampton?
I think there's a lot of pressure at Gladbach right now to finish in the top 4 because historically they're a big club in Germany with a big fan base who have expectations of the team.

I think if he could get a job at a top 8 English club it would put him into the mix for a big job in England quicker than if he was the Head Coach of Gladbach IMO. He'd also have money to spend and would have a better chance of holding on to his players. Arsenal might be a option if they can stave off relegation.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think you're overestimating Gladbach: the club has made it into the CL only three times, this was the first time they made it into the knockout rounds, they are working on a limited budget, even compared with German (top) clubs and before Covid they only averaged 50k in attendances. The club probably has some room left to grow, but it's not a sleeping giant in the sense that Dortmund were before Klopp or maybe Hamburg/Schalke are. They probably aim for top 6, especially given Leverkusen's level under Bosz. I mean sure, if he feels like he has to leave the Netherlands then a lack of better alternatives might make him consider Gladbach, but their squad isn't built for possession football: Embolo, Hofmann, Stindl, Thuram.. they all want to play direct football and a lot of teams in Bundesliga love nothing more than to play against a sloppy possession side. When the Rose rumours to Dortmund came up Kohfeldt was probably the most commonly named replacement candidate. Marsch might also be a logical choice.
Nagelsmann already stated, with regards to Dortmund rumours, that he's not leaving Leipzig next summer and anyway: "Rasenball's" philosophy is not possession football either.

I don't think that's a good idea either. Hasenhüttls football is a natural fit for an underdog side, but ten Hag made his name coaching a top club, tactically he'd have to make steps back and compromise even more than he would at Gladbach and we all know how eager the British press is to proclaim some foreign approach as unsuited to the PL.
I again, I'm not really disagreeing, but what options does that leave for him? The way you're putting it, that leaves basically Dortmund and Bayern in Germany, the top 6 in England (and Leicester I suppose), and Barcelona. That's very limited.

I do think he would be able to be more flexible tactically. He anyway has limited choice at Ajax, as its system is largely preset by the club's tradition. I don't remember what system he employed at Utrecht - which wouldn't have been able to impose itself on its opponents.

But I suppose he's in a luxury position. As long as does well at Ajax, he can stay there and compete for national top honours; and then simply jump ship when a top club comes calling (e.g., if Arsenal kick out Arteta - following on @Adnan's suggestion).

Jibbs

I think both Rose and ten Hag will end up in EPL. Between the two I like the direct still of Rose snd just think if given a choice he will be better suited manager for United.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Found a little analytical clip on Twitter showing how Gladbach was trying to use Bayern's aggressive pressing against them during build up.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The late goal strikes again.
A massive massive problem with Gladbach under Rose.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Another very good performance from Rose's Gladbach to defeat Dortmund 4-2. Gladbach move above Dortmund into 4th.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Could be back down to 7th if results go against them, he really needs to sort out the leaky defence to get top four.
Decent result Tonight, Dortmund paid for lax defending themselves.

Kostov

So Dortmund does to others what Bayern does to them, they all get along nicely do they, only Bayern get the trophies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So Dortmund does to others what Bayern does to them, they all get along nicely do they, only Bayern get the trophies.
Talented managers /players moving to bigger clubs in the same league is normal.

Of course Bayern pissing on the rest of the league reflects poorly on it without doubt.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Wonder what will be the motivation, Gladbach and Dortmund are on same points, fighting for CL spot.

Kostov

Talented managers /players moving to bigger clubs in the same league is normal.

Of course Bayern pissing on the rest of the league reflects poorly on it without doubt.
That's like Klopp moving from Liverpool to Manchester United. Aren't Gladbach and Schalke, Dortmund's biggest rivals?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Schulz, Hazard, Brandt, Diallo, Delaney, Dahoud, Schurrle. They sign from within the league often.

If he lives to the hype then I can see that happening :lol: :(
I think they've earmarked Gerrard for the role.

That's like Klopp moving from Liverpool to Manchester United. Aren't Gladbach and Schalke, Dortmund's biggest rivals?
Dortmund have signed a couple of players from Gladbach in recent seasons: Hazard and Dahoud. And Reus almost a decade ago. Don't think there have been any signings between Liverpool and United in the same period or longer.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
No, Dortmund's rivals are Schalke and Bochum; Gladbach's rivarlries are rather with Köln and Leverkusen, from what I understand. They're not that close in a region that's absolutely packed with clubs.

Also, Gladbach is still a tier below Dortmund. So this is rather like Everton's coach moving to United or Chelsea, I'd say. (In Everton's current form.)

Kostov

Schulz, Hazard, Brandt, Diallo, Delaney, Dahoud, Schurrle. They sign from within the league often.

Dortmund have signed a couple of players from Gladbach in recent seasons: Hazard and Dahoud. And Reus almost a decade ago. Don't think there have been any signings between Liverpool and United in the same period or longer.
Seems like the natural food chain in Germany.

No, Dortmund's rivals are Schalke and Bochum; Gladbach's rivarlries are rather with Köln and Leverkusen, from what I understand. They're not that close in a region that's absolutely packed with clubs.

Also, Gladbach is still a tier below Dortmund. So this is rather like Everton's coach moving to United or Chelsea, I'd say. (In Everton's current form.)
I was sure about Schalke but not Gladbach, and that paint a different picture to be fair. Thank for the info.

Crashoutcassius

Don't worry we'll miss out on all the promising young managers for you to celebrate
Who was in two years ago ? Howe, gasperini, ten hag, jardim

There'll always be flavor of the month managers that people just go quiet on. All good managers I'm sure but rarely the perfect solution as touted by fans

HTG

Supports
Bayern

Quite accurate. Gladbach might even have more of a rivalry with Bayern than Dortmund.
Many Gladbach fans are not that fond of Dortmund, though. Mainly because they keep buying players and now managers from them. So there might be a new rivalry developing there.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Quite accurate. Gladbach might even have more of a rivalry with Bayern than Dortmund.
Many Gladbach fans are not that fond of Dortmund, though. Mainly because they keep buying players and now managers from them. So there might be a new rivalry developing there.
That's kinda like how every bigger club is hated though. Probably Southampton have developed a healthy dislike of Liverpool as well. :) (Even without the Van Dijk incident.)

mav_9me

Brilliant appointment. Their defence needs work, but Rose with that attack? Tasty. The hunt for 2nd place in Germany is really going to heat up.
You think this is going to destabilize Gladbach? cuz dortmund are really a shambles right now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Who was in two years ago ? Howe, gasperini, ten hag, jardim

There'll always be flavor of the month managers that people just go quiet on. All good managers I'm sure but rarely the perfect solution as touted by fans
And there will always be genuinely brilliant managers coming through who will establish themselves as top managers eventually.