Marco Rose | OFFICIAL: Joining Dortmund at the end of the season

padzilla

Hipster
Pretty simple isn't it? It's a manager who is lauded by the latte drinking football hipsters. These being the types who don't support a team, but instead have a weird penchant for whichever young manager is doing cool tactical stuff with an unfashionable team.

Amazed you've got your knickers in such a twist over it.
Are there many football fans who don't support a team?

Spaghetti

Mom's
Are there many football fans who don't support a team?
Most people have a favourite football team, but they’re not necessarily hardcore fans of that team. These people can probably be found playing Football Manager, FIFA online and Fantasy Football religiously.

I’ve never used the term “hipster manager” but I think it’s quite obvious what it is. And I don’t find it annoying. Some people really get their knickers in a twist over nothing.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Still waiting for someone to tell me what a hipster manager is, what makes them a hipster manager, and if or when do they stop being a hipster manager. Funny how the people who throw the term around don't seem to be able to explain it.
When someone says hipster manager I get the image of a bearded, suited man sipping a Starbucks casually watching a game of football, who then uses a lot of cliches and long words to describe what they have watched.

Andy_Cole

Still waiting for someone to tell me what a hipster manager is, what makes them a hipster manager, and if or when do they stop being a hipster manager. Funny how the people who throw the term around don't seem to be able to explain it.
Flavour of the month basically.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
When someone says hipster manager I get the image of a bearded, suited man sipping a Starbucks casually watching a game of football, who then uses a lot of cliches and long words to describe what they have watched.
Like this?

Infra-red

Hipsters won't be seen dead in Starbucks!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm extremely intrigued to see how this goes for him. I'll be swapping one Borussia for another next season and I hope Rose can build something great at BVB.
I don't really have grand expectations at the moment. Dortmund need Rose to be principled in his philosophy and steer them back to a clearer profile, because in their pursuit of progress they have lost touch with the original philosophy of Klopp that made the modern version of the club what it is and which should be sort of a baseline.
He has to do so on a budget, that's restricted by the pandemic and possibly missing out on top four and he has to do so while adapting to life at a bigger club with bigger expectations. At Gladbach he never found the recipe for dominance, which, given their means, was quite acceptable still. But at Dortmund he will have to evolve that part of his approach and quickly, while doing the above mentioned rebuild and compromise on whichever parts of the squad can't be changed immediately.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Long words are really bad, they make my head hurt. boooo

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Like this?
Funnily enough...

Hipsters won't be seen dead in Starbucks!
:lol: Good point! I suppose it would need to be one of those quiet, down a side lane coffee shops they frequent wouldn't it?

Long words are really bad, they make my head hurt. boooo
On the contrary, I find when people use long words and correct grammar enthusing, and I can certainly appreciate it. I merely meant that it contributes to the image I get when I hear the 'hipster manager' term. I mean I have a beard, perhaps I may be hipster too....

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't really have grand expectations at the moment. Dortmund need Rose to be principled in his philosophy and steer them back to a clearer profile, because in their pursuit of progress they have lost touch with the original philosophy of Klopp that made the modern version of the club what it is and which should be sort of a baseline.
He has to do so on a budget, that's restricted by the pandemic and possibly missing out on top four and he has to do so while adapting to life at a bigger club with bigger expectations. At Gladbach he never found the recipe for dominance, which, given their means, was quite acceptable still. But at Dortmund he will have to evolve that part of his approach and quickly, while doing the above mentioned rebuild and compromise on whichever parts of the squad can't be changed immediately.
I've been following both Rose and Nagelmann for a while now and for me the most intriguing part is the boost in quality he will have at his disposal at BVB. It's gonna be tough with the problems faced in the current climate and expectations will be higher but i'm expecting a very exciting BVB under him that looks to impose their will on the game and also counter press well.

tomaldinho1

“Hipster manager” is probably the most annoying term that you see around here. The only meaning I’ve managed to ascertain thus far is it’s a manger that isn’t the United manager, and one that people besides the person using the term “hipster manager” seem to like.

I have no doubt once upon a time these same people would have called Wenger, Mourinho, Pep and Klopp hipster managers.
It's become the go-to insult of posters who are so invested in Ole staying they will actively attack any coach who is doing well and using a style of football that is 'different'. Jose was a hipster, Klopp was a hipster, SAF would have been a hipster whilst at Aberdeen to these troglodytes.

The perfect case in point is Bielsa at Leeds. His style of football is genuinely so fun to watch AND is getting them points but he is a hipster because it's more 'sensible' to take the Big Sam or Bilic approach we've seen with WBA. Poch went from a proven PL coach to the biggest fraud in football because he was so strongly linked to Ole's job.

Tactical and technical football = hipster
Setting up with 2 DMs against the 2 worst teams in the league = exciting football

K Stand Knut

It's become the go-to insult of posters who are so invested in Ole staying they will actively attack any coach who is doing well and using a style of football that is 'different'. Jose was a hipster, Klopp was a hipster, SAF would have been a hipster whilst at Aberdeen to these troglodytes.

The perfect case in point is Bielsa at Leeds. His style of football is genuinely so fun to watch AND is getting them points but he is a hipster because it's more 'sensible' to take the Big Sam or Bilic approach we've seen with WBA. Poch went from a proven PL coach to the biggest fraud in football because he was so strongly linked to Ole's job.

Setting up with 2 DMs against the 2 worst teams in the league = exciting football
you don’t understand the term, do you??

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's become the go-to insult of posters who are so invested in Ole staying they will actively attack any coach who is doing well and using a style of football that is 'different'. Jose was a hipster,
Jose hipster :lol:

One thing is spot on though, posters who support manager always have a go at other good managers and this trend started when Jose was here, not sure if this happened before too but lot of Jose boys were so pissed if any coach was praised, they took offense to that.

tomaldinho1

Jose hipster :lol:

One thing is spot on though, posters who support manager always have a go at other good managers and this trend started when Jose was here, not sure if this happened before too but lot of Jose boys were so pissed if any coach was praised, they took offense to that.
He would 100% been slandered as a hipster because he played 433 at a time when you never saw it in the PL.

you don’t understand the term, do you??
The way you have punctuated this makes me think you asking my advice. I have none, other than hipster managers are just normal managers.

Cloud7

To be fair, this isn’t limited to posters who are fans of Ole. I’ve been seeing the term used for anyone that’s not a United manager, that United fans like, as far back as when Moyes was our manager. It just seems to be a catch all term for a non United manager.

K Stand Knut

He would 100% been slandered as a hipster because he played 433 at a time when you never saw it in the PL.

The way you have punctuated this makes me think you asking my advice. I have none, other than hipster managers are just normal managers.
The way I punctuated it was to make it a question!

Your idea of a hipster manager is not correct. It is nothing to do with managers linked to Ole’s job.

tomaldinho1

To be fair, this isn’t limited to posters who are fans of Ole. I’ve been seeing the term used for anyone that’s not a United manager, that United fans like, as far back as when Moyes was our manager. It just seems to be a catch all term for a non United manager.
I barely remember seeing it when Jose was here, it's 100% become more common last two years.

The way I punctuated it was to make it a question!

Your idea of a hipster manager is not correct. It is nothing to do with managers linked to Ole’s job.
You probably want to reread my post

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Exactly this. And the idea that someone hit me with above about 'so are Madrid hipters etc etc...' errr, no, they aren't, any more than it's possible for more than one type of person to admire the same thing yet remain different. A tall person who admires Jimmy Page's guitar skills does not become a short person the very moment Warwick Davies admits he too admires Jimmy Page.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Exactly this. And the idea that someone hit me with above about 'so are Madrid hipters etc etc...' errr, no, they aren't, any more than it's possible for more than one type of person to admire the same thing yet remain different. A tall person who admires Jimmy Page's guitar skills does not become a short person the very moment Warwick Davies admits he too admires Jimmy Page.
Would you call Jimi Page the tall person musician, if in your view lots of tall persons rate Jimi Page as a guitarist? Why do a ton of coaches get defined by an imaginary cliche of a group that supposedly follows them?

Last edited:

GaryLifo

Would you call Jimi Page the tall person musician, if in your view lots of tall persons rate Jimi Page as a guitarist? Why do a ton of coaches get defined by an imaginary cliche of a group that supposedly follows them?
The manager is not the hipster - a sub-group of football followers tend to favour a certain type of manager and therefore that manager is labelled as a 'hipster manager' but perhaps the correct grammar would be hipters' manager - as in their manager of choice.

I genuinely think you are completely misunderstanding the definition I am making. In either example, neither Jimi Page nor the Manager are any different to how they normally are.

It's a bit like the old sexist thing of describing an intelligent woman as 'the thinking man's crumpet'. The implication is that an intelligent heterosexual man will be attracted to this intelligent woman all the more because she meets with their ideals.

The woman herself remains the same as she was.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
From what I see, 'hipster managers' are forward-thinking managers, especially in terms of their tactics and systems, who have not established themselves yet as a top coach (which seems to require working at a big club, and ideally winning trophies as well, as otherwise you might become a failed hipster manager), and who generally were not famous players themselves.

I guess the 'hipster' tag comes from these managers being noticed especially by people who like the theoretical side of the game. I suppose it would have been 'nerd managers' in the 80s, but 'hipster' is the go-to pejorative nowadays. (I do think 'pejorative' is the right word here; 'hipster manager' is pretty much always used negatively.)

So Nagelsmann, Rose, Potter, Hasenhüttl, and even Bielsa are all 'hipster managers', but people like Lampard and Ole would not have been. Not sure why Wilder isn't seen as a hipster though: he also plays 'funny' football. In that sense, I do think the perceived competition with Ole does play a role in some people's minds, as Wilder was never mentioned as a potential Manchester United coach.

rotherham_red

Serious question: were you even alive at that point? Because the 4-3-3 and variants of it were being played by numerous teams years before Jose rocked up. I mean, we were playing it in 2001/2, ffs!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The manager is not the hipster - a sub-group of football followers tend to favour a certain type of manager and therefore that manager is labelled as a 'hipster manager' but perhaps the correct grammar would be hipters' manager - as in their manager of choice.

I genuinely think you are completely misunderstanding the definition I am making. In either example, neither Jimi Page nor the Manager are any different to how they normally are.

It's a bit like the old sexist thing of describing an intelligent woman as 'the thinking man's crumpet'. The implication is that an intelligent heterosexual man will be attracted to this intelligent woman all the more because she meets with their ideals.

The woman herself remains the same as she was.
I'm not misunderstanding you. I'm just asking you why it would be reasonable to identify a person by an imaginary group of people who supposedly rate them. Especially when it apparently mostly applies to people who have built a fairly sizeable reputation based on the merit of their work.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
If you hire a guy from a notoriously pretentious and silly football tactics internet blog as your assistant, you are a hipster manager. Case closed.
Are you talking about Rene Maric?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Are you talking about Rene Maric?
He must be. I'm just not sure why that's funny. The guy did a great analysis of one of Rose's games, Rose asked him to provide advice on some stuff, that went great, and so Rose hired him full-time. Maybe I'm missing something, but this makes all the sense in the world to me...?

Sir Tanley Daft

Supports
Local Team & BVB
If you hire a guy from a notoriously pretentious and silly football tactics internet blog as your assistant, you are a hipster manager. Case closed.
For a 'silly football tactics blog' they have a surprising number of contributors in respectable jobs within the football industry. I really liked most of Maric's pieces but I have to agree that some of their other authors tend to overdo it with creating new football-lingo.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He must be. I'm just not sure why that's funny. The guy did a great analysis of one of Rose's games, Rose asked him to provide advice on some stuff, that went great, and so Rose hired him full-time. Maybe I'm missing something, but this makes all the sense in the world to me...?
Another one of the founding members was doing youth work for Hajduk Split last I heard, two others are sports journalists, one of the more recent writers is working as a coach for FC St. Gallen, another one as a scout for HSV. Christian Streich once complained that he's working all week on his tactics and the next day he can read everything on a blog and as far as I know Tuchel invited some of the writers to some kind of seminar once. I don't think you can expect much more credentials from a free to access blog.
And given that zonalmarking.com was basically the peak of analysis when they started out I think they have made a lasting impact, at least in the sphere of German fans who are interested in tactics.

GaryLifo

I'm not misunderstanding you. I'm just asking you why it would be reasonable to identify a person by an imaginary group of people who supposedly rate them. Especially when it apparently mostly applies to people who have built a fairly sizeable reputation based on the merit of their work.
you are misunderstanding me. I have no interest in who the manager being labelled is. Who the manager is, what they've done, what they will do, where they are from, how they do it - not relevant to the conversation. The fact people are saying at one time Mourinho or Wenger would have been hipter managers really ought to underline what I'm saying.

Essentially, you are arguing a straw man when you attempt to refute what I'm saying. We clearly have a different definition of what this term means and this is why we will not agree.

You think it's about the characteristics of the person being, in your view given the label, and I think it's about the subjective perspective of an observer irrespective of whom is being observed. These are two very different things.

tomaldinho1

Serious question: were you even alive at that point? Because the 4-3-3 and variants of it were being played by numerous teams years before Jose rocked up. I mean, we were playing it in 2001/2, ffs!
I wish I were that young. He's widely credit as bringing the modern 433 to the PL - I'm sure other coaches had variations and maybe someone else should get the credit but it's widely accepted his 433 changed the PL because of the use of the DM and it completely destroyed 4-4-2 which was deployed by almost all teams at that time. Not my opinion, just google it and you'll find loads of articles.

Is Jose Mourinho planning to switch back to the 4-3-3 formation? (thefalse9.com)
What is the Makélélé Role | Tifo Football Encyclopedia - YouTube

Jibbs

Don't worry guys... Rooney is getting ready to take over United wheels from Ole.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
you are misunderstanding me. I have no interest in who the manager being labelled is. Who the manager is, what they've done, what they will do, where they are from, how they do it - not relevant to the conversation. The fact people are saying at one time Mourinho or Wenger would have been hipter managers really ought to underline what I'm saying.

Essentially, you are arguing a straw man when you attempt to refute what I'm saying. We clearly have a different definition of what this term means and this is why we will not agree.

You think it's about the characteristics of the person being, in your view given the label, and I think it's about the subjective perspective of an observer irrespective of whom is being observed. These are two very different things.
I know that hipster refers to the people who supposedly support these coaches, but I'm asking you again: how is it in any way relevant whether or not these so called hipsters rate a certain coach when talking about that coach? Especially to the degree that some people attach it to every mention of certain coaches.
Answer: it is not at all relevant and it says more about the person attaching the label than the person receiving it. The same way if someone were to call Solskjaer a "top red manager".

GaryLifo

I know that hipster refers to the people who supposedly support these coaches, but I'm asking you again: how is it in any way relevant whether or not these so called hipsters rate a certain coach when talking about that coach? Especially to the degree that some people attach it to every mention of certain coaches.
Answer: it is not at all relevant and it says more about the person attaching the label than the person receiving it. The same way if someone were to call Solskjaer a "top red manager".
Then we don't disagree. I can't help you with the rest of your question as I have no idea about the relevance and never claimed to.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
For a 'silly football tactics blog' they have a surprising number of contributors in respectable jobs within the football industry. I really liked most of Maric's pieces but I have to agree that some of their other authors tend to overdo it with creating new football-lingo.
Another one of the founding members was doing youth work for Hajduk Split last I heard, two others are sports journalists, one of the more recent writers is working as a coach for FC St. Gallen, another one as a scout for HSV. Christian Streich once complained that he's working all week on his tactics and the next day he can read everything on a blog and as far as I know Tuchel invited some of the writers to some kind of seminar once. I don't think you can expect much more credentials from a free to access blog.
And given that zonalmarking.com was basically the peak of analysis when they started out I think they have made a lasting impact, at least in the sphere of German fans who are interested in tactics.
I found the tone of the blog oftentimes rather silly and pretentious, aka hipsterish, sometimes in a cute way and sometimes in a bit obnoxious way; that doesn't mean their analyses are wrong or not insightful, or that there wasn't a lot to gain from reading it.

And yes, the fact that Rose hired a writer from the Spielverlagerung blog, as 'possession play analyst' or whatever the first gig was titled, makes him the quintessential hipster coach, in both senses: pertaining to himself and to the online football fan disciples he attracts.

But then of course any term or label, especially one with reactionary subtones as 'hipster coach' has them, says just as much about the people who use it as about the ones on whom it is used.

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
And yes, the fact that Rose hired a writer from the Spielverlagerung blog, as 'possession play anaylst' or whatever the first gig was, makes him the quintessential hipster coach, both pertaining to himself and to the online football fans followers he attracts.
I'm sure Rose simply thought Maric was a special analytical/coaching talent, and a possible asset for his team. The fact that he kept him ever since means he saw that assessment confirmed. Can't see what's hipsterish about that. On that level you get employment for performance.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I found the tone of the blog oftentimes rather silly and pretentious, aka hipsterish, sometimes in a cute way and sometimes in a bit obnoxious way; that doesn't mean their analyses are wrong or not insightful, or that there wasn't a lot to gain from reading it.

And yes, the fact that Rose hired a writer from the Spielverlagerung blog, as 'possession play analyst' or whatever the first gig was titled, makes him the quintessential hipster coach, in both senses: pertaining to himself and to the online football fan disciples he attracts.

But then of course any term or label, especially one with reactionary subtones as 'hipster coach' has them, says just as much about the people who use it as about the ones on whom it is used.
I'd say it's a pretty normal that people who approach something from an analytical or scientific point view try to use or create specialized language. You have to keep in mind who this was aimed at: it wasn't the main stream, but tactic nerds. When guys like Escher or Eckner write for mainstream media outlets they seem to have no problem adjusting their language to their readership.

As for Rene Maric: apparently Rose recognized a special analytical talent and brought him on, I don't see how that's "hipster" aside from being unusual.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
As for Rene Maric: apparently Rose recognized a special analytical talent and brought him on, I don't see how that's "hipster" aside from being unusual.
I'm sure Rose simply thought Maric was a special analytical/coaching talent, and a possible asset for his team. The fact that he kept him ever since means he saw that assessment confirmed. Can't see what's hipsterish about that. On that level you get employment for performance.
For crying out loud, loosen up, nerds!