Marco Silva | No longer Everton manager

Alabaster Codify7

What a strange comment that last bit, so clubs aren’t supposed to have ambition? Everton are one of the most historic clubs in the country not a Watford or Brighton who are punching above their weight even being in the division. Leicester City shows every club outside the richest few that with good managerial appointments, scouting, and ownership that you can dream big.

Seconded. Everton can dream big, they are a big club historically.

pascell

Paul Joyce has tweeted saying they've approached Poch. At least he'd get money to spend and would get them playing some decent football again.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Gotta commend them for their ambition. It’s definitely a project with a lot of money available, although I’m not sure poch has a great transfer record.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I wonder if they could get relegated? Granted Silva did a terrible job, but this years Everton squad is not exactly the strongest i've seen
Up to last weekend they've had one of the easiest fixture lists any team has had in the league this season.

They have 11 away games left. Still got to play both Manchester clubs, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and Wolves all away from home. By contrast we (Villa) have played them all away.

It;s going to come down to whether they can get a run of wins going at Goodison like they did in the run in last season when they were flirting with danger. Going to be lots of pressure and tension at Goodison I think after January, interesting if the new manager and players are up to coping with that.

Lastwolf

What a strange comment that last bit, so clubs aren’t supposed to have ambition? Everton are one of the most historic clubs in the country not a Watford or Brighton who are punching above their weight even being in the division. Leicester City shows every club outside the richest few that with good managerial appointments, scouting, and ownership that you can dream big.
Can they?

The last won a trophy 25 years ago, they last won a league title in 1987.

Leicester is the anomily, not the norm, Everton are miles off the pace and haven't been in that pushing into the top 4 spot for a good 5 years.

There are more than a few "Big clubs" from times past that aren't in contention any more, Leeds is probably the biggest example. Fans need to be real and not fly off the handle all the time more than dreaming big.

Everton should be able to patch it up and finish out the season still in the EPL, but they need a considerable rebuild to even remotely challenge for the high mid table clubs, never mind league titles.

WakeAndBeek

Can they?

The last won a trophy 25 years ago, they last won a league title in 1987.

Leicester is the anomily, not the norm, Everton are miles off the pace and haven't been in that pushing into the top 4 spot for a good 5 years.

There are more than a few "Big clubs" from times past that aren't in contention any more, Leeds is probably the biggest example. Fans need to be real and not fly off the handle all the time more than dreaming big.

Everton should be able to patch it up and finish out the season still in the EPL, but they need a considerable rebuild to even remotely challenge for the high mid table clubs, never mind league titles.
1987 isn’t that long ago in football terms when you consider Liverpool haven’t won one since a few years after that, and also in the context that we won most of the titles from 93-13 :D

It’s not so much that they should have unrealistic expectations, I’m all for stability my problem with the post I replied to is the way it comes across slightly arrogant, saying that “smaller” clubs should just accept their fate as a mid table club and accept the boring standard of football someone like Moyes would bring rather than dare to go for a more progressive manager. Football is entertainment at the end of the day and fans of Manchester United and Macclesfield alike want to watch entertaining football.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Even when he’s delighted with a debut win and receiving praise, he still looks like he’s thinking about killing the interviewer.

Gearbox Paddy

Who said they aren’t supposed to be ambitious?

They’ve shown ambition with foreign managers with fancy names and flashing the cash, but it hasn’t really helped them at all given their current predicament.

They’re the very definition of a mid table club. Never been relegated in the PL era, along with United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs. You can’t deny they’re the weakest of that bunch and have been punching above their weight for years.

Never qualified for the CL but competing in the Europa league on the regular and no serious threat of relegation. If that’s not a perfect example of a mid table side well blow me over.

And just a comment on Duncan Ferguson, he absolutely is what they need. A no nonsense taking Scotsman with fire in the belly. Imagine being a player in his team and letting him down, it’s not the hairdryer you’d be worried about more like a flamethrower. As for the opposition he’s such an intimidating presence. Like Roy Keane but even harder.