Marco Silva | No longer Everton manager

Suedesi

He wishes he had a CV even remotely comparable to AVB.
True, AVB has a better CV, but he came to the English league after one successful season with Porto... Then he failed with both Chelsea and Spurs and fecked off to Russia. Seems he's doing well in France.

Would never want to see him in the PL again.

Welbeckham

True, AVB has a better CV, but he came to the English league after one successful season with Porto... Then he failed with both Chelsea and Spurs and fecked off to Russia. Seems he's doing well in France.

It’s actually quite surprising that AVB is still only 42, because I had completely forgot about him, and his time in PL feels like it was ages ago.

But Silva’s CV isn’t even close to AVB, whose record at Spurs wasn’t even that bad, even though he replaced Bale with mostly huge flops, that squad was a mess which Pochettino did well to clean up. Hard to see Silva getting another chance at PL, or AVB for that matter.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I'm trying to think of another manager that has failed upwards like this guy in the PL?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Rafa anyone?
Can't see it. I don't think he'd want it because of his connection to Liverpool. He's also on a fortune in China. The plus side is that contracts in China have a knack of coming to an abrupt end and he didn't do well at the end of the season so maybe they'd be happy to let him go? Still, think West Ham would be more likely if he came back to England soon.

He does have the kind of profile a team like Everton should be going for rather than Moyes though. Everton are a wealthy club when it comes down to it. Mentioned people like Spaletti, Marcelinho, Blanc and Kovac a page or two back. Could normally throw the likes of Rafa in there too although I think that Chinese money may be a little too much plus that connection to the other team in the city. Maybe even Emery is a goer now? I'd doubt they'd go for him and I'm not sure he'd go there, but they could probably afford him. They should be ambitious with the money have.

Last edited:

cjj

Supports
Spurs
It’s actually quite surprising that AVB is still only 42, because I had completely forgot about him, and his time in PL feels like it was ages ago.

But Silva’s CV isn’t even close to AVB, whose record at Spurs wasn’t even that bad, even though he replaced Bale with mostly huge flops, that squad was a mess which Pochettino did well to clean up. Hard to see Silva getting another chance at PL, or AVB for that matter.
AVB probably looks better to those who aren't spurs fans.

Just like Sherwood, he boasts one of the highest win % statistics for the club, but I think you'll be hard-pushed to find any credible Spurs fan who watched and/or attended games under AVB who didn't fall completely out of love with football during that period. It's pretty soul destroying to watch a team keep 80% possession whilst simultaneously look like they wouldn't score if the game was 90 hours long. It was basically 18 months or so of tumescent football with Bale randomly scoring worldies against the run of play and out of nowhere.

His GIF game was good, though

I thought Silva peaked prior to even getting near thinking about Everton. He did an amazing job at Hull, against all odds (despite relegation, which was inevitable), and was doing a marvellous job at Watford prior to being tapped up.

His problem was joining a team that wanted to chuck money at players in an Al-Fayed-at-Fulham manner, with similar results. The worst kept secret in football is that replacing the vast majority of your squad with expensive players in a short period of time results in relegation form and sackings, but it doesn't stop the foolhardy excitement and optimism that pundits, fans, managers and owners have towards that strategy.

Silva should have stayed a Watford, and Everton should have stuck with Allardyce imo.

R'hllor

Imagine they get Moyes, still remember newbie threads and Everton posters there when Moyes became United manager.

manc4red

i honestly think that they will get moyes back. At least for the short term. Some of you are harsh on ole. But we havent sunk to the level of everton thankfully

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I want to see Jorge Jesus in the Premier League

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I hope they get someone to keep them up. Even with the years of hatred which was way in the past a team like Everton shouldn't be playing in the lower divisions.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Horrible run of fixtures for new manager, is Moyes favourite for the job?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Why ? What did he do to you ?

meamth

I mean, what a new manager can do?

They have no midfield due to injury, Marco was forced to use Schneiderlin and Tom Davies, occasionally playing Sigurdsson in Deep lying position.

Whoever taking over Everton job will be in for a nightmare run.

I wouldn't mind seeing Moyes meltdown in the premier league again though.

Nickelodeon

Wouldn't it be fun if Everton got relegated? Never really liked them for some reason.

Judas

Open to offers
If they get Moyes back I'd probably quit watching football if I was an everton fan, how utterly depressing. When so many of their fans have been calling for Mourinho, and thinking they were in with a chance of landing him, to go back to.....David Moyes.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Everyone saying we have a poor squad should look at our overall squads a decade or so ago, it was thin to the bones and aside from a good first 11 was overall pretty poor. For the past few years we have had a very good squad that’s been managed terribly. Chuck in the fact that we have been very unlucky with injuries to our new CM and Gomes aside the rapid decline of Gylfi and you have a recipe for disaster. There’s no excuses though for being in a relegation position with this team or for losing against all of the promoted sides. This squad should not be below 10th.

Bojan11

Everyone saying we have a poor squad should look at our overall squads a decade or so ago, it was thin to the bones and aside from a good first 11 was overall pretty poor. For the past few years we have had a very good squad that’s been managed terribly. Chuck in the fact that we have been very unlucky with injuries to our new CM and Gomes aside the rapid decline of Gylfi and you have a recipe for disaster. There’s no excuses though for being in a relegation position with this team or for losing against all of the promoted sides. This squad should not be below 10th.
The issue is your spine down the centre is piss poor. Michael Keane like I said many times is a disaster waiting to happen. You haven’t really got a stand out CM and a goal scorer up front.

Jagielka is proving hard to replace for you guys and you haven’t replaced Lukaku. I know people are going to think I’m being funny, but Jagielka was a pretty solid player for Everton.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Off course AVB failed. Without Vítor Pereira as assistant doing all the tough work things got harder for him to get the same end result.

Needham

It's only a matter of time before he gets a job at Watford.

WakeAndBeek

About bloody time too, guy is one of the biggest frauds to hit English football. Hopefully he’s gone for good.

For any Everton fans that don’t want David Moyes, you’re Everton ffs. A solid mid table premier league side. Moysie guarantees that for you.
What a strange comment that last bit, so clubs aren’t supposed to have ambition? Everton are one of the most historic clubs in the country not a Watford or Brighton who are punching above their weight even being in the division. Leicester City shows every club outside the richest few that with good managerial appointments, scouting, and ownership that you can dream big.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Anyone else slightly surprised Moyes hasn’t been confirmed yet? Even with Duncan Ferguson taking the Chelsea game tomorrow, the Moyes stuff has been reported since yesterday morning well before the sacking actually happened, with the added detail of Tim Cahil being the assistant suggesting maybe a briefing (and we all know Moyes’ friendly relationship with the media), so why the delay?

Could the negative reaction from Everton fans towards Moyes maybe have caused a rethink?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
So.. Everton is considering Vitor Pereira... two years late :lol:

At the moment I told exactly that is baffling how can Marco Silva get the Everton job when managers like Jorge Jesus, Marco Pereira, Ivo Vieira were much better and were available. I mentioned Paulo Fonseca but he refused Everton offer at the time.