Marco Silva | No longer Everton manager

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Actually surprised one injury in midfield and Schnderlein is straight back in (he also started the first game). I thought he was well down the pecking order given he hardly played last season.

I think Everton will be fine actually, they're not an easy team to break down now so should be in the top 8.

Lebowski

just check the transfer tweets thread esp when they signed Kean, there are multiple pages of that. As for pundits and journos, they were always conflating those three (Leicester, Wolves and Everton) as the ones to possibly kick us out of top 6.
From your reply, presumably you think there's no chance of those teams finishing above United this season?

haram

We were rubbish today but he's been let down by DCL and Walcott who both should have scored. Not taking Gomes off was a bad decision as he had one of the worst games i've seen from him but Villa weren't that good. Iwobi and Kean both looked lively when they came on and I think Iwobi will be key to our attacking play moving forward.
Iwobi is underrated. I think he will do well away from the toxic Arsenal environment.

Amarsdd

From your reply, presumably you think there's no chance of those teams finishing above United this season?
No, I don't. The only team that I feel has any chance, although minimal, is Leicester with their settled attack and midfield and a manager with the experience to challenge. People seem to forget we had the absolute worst season last season, still, we finished 10 points or more above those 3 teams. And we can certainly say we have fixed/improved on the biggest issue from the last season and now have a definite gameplan. I would think Chelsea are a lot more in trouble of being overtaken by them than us.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Iwobi is underrated. I think he will do well away from the toxic Arsenal environment.
He’s not really underrated, he’s just horrendously inconsistent. It’s not like he’s blessed with pace or got an amazing work ethic, so he’s either very good or fecking anonymous.

VJ1762

I don't know about that. He deserved to stay in Arsenal ahead of Mkhitaryan for example, but he always striked me as a player who huffed and puffed and looked like he was doing a lot, but has zero end product, and didn't seem to know what to do when he reached he final third.

Last edited:

ROFLUTION

Everton have been crap away for last 2-3 seasons. Clear trend here, they underperform away compared to other teams. Why are they just not hitting it away from home?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I thought Everton were decent and improved once Iwobi and Kean came on as a sub.

Alabaster Codify7

Really poor result for them. They haven't looked great so far, slow start, even in the first two games they rarely got out of first gear.

Lebowski

No, I don't. The only team that I feel has any chance, although minimal, is Leicester with their settled attack and midfield and a manager with the experience to challenge. People seem to forget we had the absolute worst season last season, still, we finished 10 points or more above those 3 teams. And we can certainly say we have fixed/improved on the biggest issue from the last season and now have a definite gameplan. I would think Chelsea are a lot more in trouble of being overtaken by them than us.
I hope you're right mate.

I agree that Chelsea are probably 'favourites' to fall out of the top 6, and that it will be a big ask for any of the three chasing pack to make up the gap this season, but I definitely don't think it's impossible.

Due to how much the performance of United this season is based in hope rather than logic, I honestly find it difficult to say with certainty whether United will finish fourth or eighth. (I.e. hope that Pogba stays and buckles down and gets consistency; hope that Ole's fitness work yields results and not injuries and burnout; hope that the academy lads can make the incredibly difficult step up to the first team; hope that our lopsided squad remains one midfield or forward injury away from a crisis; hope that Ole can show he's learned the lessons from last season and is able to implement a clear and effective style of play, etc).

I don't have an issue with any pundits or fans tipping Leicester or Wolves finishing above us or Chelsea because there are so many questions to be answered with United and Chelsea and their inexperienced managers. Whereas we know roughly what to expect from Leicester and Wolves.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Everton have been crap away for last 2-3 seasons. Clear trend here, they underperform away compared to other teams. Why are they just not hitting it away from home?
Don't think their away record is that much worse than Chelsea and Arsenal? They drop far more points at Goodison than those two which is bigger issue.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Weird how his teams can look like world beaters one week and relegation fodder the next. As an aside, Everton's midfield is dire.

Judas

Open to offers
For all the money Everton have spent, I can't believe how nothingy they look so often, and thats coming from a Utd fan, so know a thing or two about this area.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This topic is a roller-coaster :D
No need to point the obvious "I told you so" that almost every portuguese person in this forum had warned : far from being a fraud because he's a manager quite reliable in terms of doing a confortable season, but no more than that. Everton would be much better served if they had hired Vitor Pereira, who is an excellent manager and was available at the time they signed Silva.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The away form is worrying and something that will need to be addressed immediately but yesterday was just poor in every department. Everyone still on INT break.

Digne is the only one that turns up every single week.

VJ1762

The away form is worrying and something that will need to be addressed immediately but yesterday was just poor in every department. Everyone still on INT break.
I am suprised he is not on sack watch though. You guys have been on a massive spending spree ever since Moshiri took over. What is the consensus among Everton fans regarding Silva?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Bored trying to defend him now. Lose today and he should be in danger of being sacked. We won only 5 games away last season and our home form dragged us to a decent finish. He's NEVER managed to win from a losing position for us either, that's trash - his tactic when losing is put as many forward players on as possible with no tactical care at all, it's like a soccer version of the Hail Mary ffs.

You don't get into the top 6 by losing against Bournemouth, Sheffield United and Villa. That's two promoted teams, it's embarrassing.

arthurka

Bored trying to defend him now. Lose today and he should be in danger of being sacked. We won only 5 games away last season and our home form dragged us to a decent finish. He's NEVER managed to win from a losing position for us either, that's trash - his tactic when losing is put as many forward players on as possible with no tactical care at all, it's like a soccer version of the Hail Mary ffs.

You don't get into the top 6 by losing against Bournemouth, Sheffield United and Villa. That's two promoted teams, it's embarrassing.
You guys look absolutely bored to death by him.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Up and down, boom and bust, talented then fraudulent. Goes in cycles with this fella.

Deffo on the downturn right now.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Up and down, boom and bust, talented then fraudulent. Goes in cycles with this fella.

Deffo on the downturn right now.
He looked the next big thing at Hull (despite relegation) and the first 2-3 months at Watford but since then his records been quite wretched.

Chipper

Adulterer.
He looked the next big thing at Hull (despite relegation) and the first 2-3 months at Watford but since then his records been quite wretched.
He hasn't been great overall, and part of it might be the caf who are reactionary or fickle and that's what I was tapping into. A couple of pages back he wasn't a fraud anymore as to be fair Everton did have a good run towards the end of last season with big results against some of the larger clubs.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
In relation to my other post...

Any club that has aspirations of top 6 let alone top bloody 4 do not allow a manager to stay who has this kind of record:

21 games
17 lost
Drew 4

...when we've gone behind first.

A couple of posts on GoT are spot on - it's not that we have crap players or a crap squad, he's just got absolutely no clue on how to get the best out of them. Someone mentioned that there are a bunch of them who are playing 50% and they're right. He is completely unable to inspire them to get to that 100%.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He hasn't been great overall, and part of it might be the caf who are reactionary or fickle and that's what I was tapping into. A couple of pages back he wasn't a fraud anymore as to be fair Everton did have a good run towards the end of last season with big results against some of the larger clubs.
That comment was more my view on him than anything.

Early on in his Hull career he came to Stamford Bridge (Conte's title winning team) and played us off the park despite losing, I think he did similar against United aswell in that same period and beat Liverpool at home fairly comfortably.

Then at Watford he looked early on like he was progressing them up a level also.

He looked on a Pochettino esque trajectory at the time.

Lee565

Never understood the fuss with him, he's done literally nothing of note in his entire coaching career let alone in England and there is nothing eye catching about his style of football that his teams play.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Been saying he is tactically limited since he was managing in Portugal. Works in short burts but gets easily found out with his rather archaic attacking ideas.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
In relation to my other post...

Any club that has aspirations of top 6 let alone top bloody 4 do not allow a manager to stay who has this kind of record:

21 games
17 lost
Drew 4

...when we've gone behind first.

A couple of posts on GoT are spot on - it's not that we have crap players or a crap squad, he's just got absolutely no clue on how to get the best out of them. Someone mentioned that there are a bunch of them who are playing 50% and they're right. He is completely unable to inspire them to get to that 100%.
Disagree to some extent. Your squad isn't that great tbh. You are just buying lot of duds or rejects rather than trying to find smart signings.

AJ10

Why not bring Martinez back, pretty sure he can stop goals being conceded.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Schnederlein still starting is odd, surely Tom Davies should get a run?

Poor result today. If they lose their home form.....Man. City up next.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Disagree to some extent. Your squad isn't that great tbh. You are just buying lot of duds or rejects rather than trying to find smart signings.
Fair enough, that's your opinion. I think that that most of the squad is good enough to be playing in a top 6 squad (not necessarily starting).

TheReligion

Abusive
Fair enough, that's your opinion. I think that that most of the squad is good enough to be playing in a top 6 squad (not necessarily starting).
I think the squad is okay but it was criminal not to get a CB in and it's been mistake after mistake with a CF since you moved Lukaku on.

Id take Digne at United for the first team and Richarlison and Bernard for the squad. Probably it though tbh.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I keep hearing he’s a toxic personality. Don’t know how true that is, but would explain how he often starts brightly and then doesn’t off the rails.