[Irrelevant point] to stop taking the knee

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I'm not pretending, this is reality. If you studied any of the treatment these leaders got back then, you would see this to be true too. MLK especially wasn't appreciated or loved until much later in his career and really not until after his death. During his lifetime the majority of people weren't on his side.
Your statement above is EXACTLY why I'm accusing you of pretending! Those gentlemen and women of the time faced actual life threatening situations for their fifth against racism. Not once did the EVER to turn to gimmicks to push forward their fight. Having the majority of people on their side or not has zero to do with it. The did nothing that can equated to taking the knee.

So he can't change?
In political views that drastically in a space of 12 months? In my view hell no.

Isn't that the point of educating people about racism that you are pointing out - the end result is to educate enough people about the issues that maybe they weren't aware of in the past, so they can make informed decisions later on and change their mindset.
I'm yet to see anything remotely educational that Kaprenick's stunt brought about. It has proven as divisive as they come and a side distraction to real solutions to the issue.

You're basically saying because he didn't make a statement beforehand, that meant any political statement he made afterwards became a gimmick?
Rather I'm insisting on labeling it gimmickry because he didn't show an iota of activism no care for the self same issue whilst Obama was in the white house. A period when the same exact things were taking place

And isn't the point of a gimmick the idea to trick or deceive? What has be been deceptive about since he his protest?
Because knowing what I do about him BEFORE he did it. I'm far from convinced he has been genuine with his claims about why he did it....

What about Tommie Smith and John Carlos, was their political statement a gimmick too?
Be serious please. The black gloved salute was not showing any disrespect towards the American flag. Not to forget to mention that a raised closed fist is a symbol for fighting oppression that is understood globally. It in fact was simply reminding people that blacks too were part and parcel of the country and deserved acknowledgment and respect UNDER that flag. Its ONLY detractors were actual racists and the racist establishments of the times. Now try telling us how its only racists who have an issue with what Kapernick did and how to highlight the same issue

I'm not putting anything in your mouth, i'm just responding to what you are saying.
You most certainly are not. The proof is in you trying to equate my disdain for Kapernick with disdain for all others who are using their platforms for the fight

In your opinion, but it doesn't make it facts -
I'm sorry it isn't a matter of opinion. It was hard for the likes of Tommie Smith. Now with modern technology, better treatment before the law a compared to the past and the reach of things like social media, let alone the internet. if say a Sterling wants to be heard he will be and there is not a thing anyone will be able to do about it. At worst they can just rant and rave. Back in the day they'd first shut you down, then end your career and even at worst disappear you. I'm sick and tired of people pretending that its 'o so hard' for the black celebs of today with the platforms they have access to to be heard.

we've seen black athletes come out after the likes of Sterling made comments about the treatment he received from the press in this country - and many others spoke up to say they feel the same way, and are glad he's the one to come forward because they can relate etc. And that's just celebrities.
Was it hard for Sterling to tell the world how he felt about it? It seems you are conflating being mistreated with it being heard to vocalize to the world the fact you are being treated that way.

You think you can change society through education alone and are discounting the impact cultural things like sports in this country has on the nations alignment.
I don't just think it. I know it can be done. What Rashford did with the food issue is exhibit A. What he fought for will cause a permanent cultural shift long term.

Most people in this country wouldn't be able to recite Year 9 trigonometry if you asked them to off the top of their head ...
I highly doubt they did either when drunk driving seriously plagued their society way back when thus that is kinda besides the point........

, but during the summer everyone was basically united behind a common cause to support England - and you don't see the value in making antiracism a theme through a cultural event like football?
I've not said any where I don't see the value in using sport as a platform. You are simply conflating me wanting it to be used the right and genuine way with not wanting it used at all.

I think it does if you're telling everyone what is and isn't useful if you don't have any alternatives and you yourself aren't doing anything to make change.
Again. The bolded bit. Who told you? What do you know of the work people like me self have done with platforms like community theater to break cultural and racial divides and foster better understanding world wide?

,I didn't make my mind up about you when I posted this btw, your responses helped clarify that.
No. You made up your mind about me all own your own. Nothing I said helped you. You have preconceived ideas about the positions anyone who takes issue with things like taking the knee has and it has repeatedly come out in your arguments

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Your statement above is EXACTLY why I'm accusing you of pretending! Those gentlemen and women of the time faced actual life threatening situations for their fifth against racism. Not once did the EVER to turn to gimmicks to push forward their fight. Having the majority of people on their side or not has zero to do with it. The did nothing that can equated to taking the knee.
You're accusing me of pretending and it's clear you're not actually understanding the point i'm making. You seem to be fixated on the element of danger as your reasoning, without taking into consideration the changes in time & perspectives, media coverage, and the fact that they were fighting against such a tide was because all of their efforts were criticised and reduced to things such as gimmicks. We look back on their bravery and courage now because we have the benefit of hindsight and can see what good they were actually intending to do - but if you read any of MLK's letters from prison, Malcolm X's books, listened to Fred Hamptons speeches etc - you'll see that their efforts weren't valued at the time of their life.

In political views that drastically in a space of 12 months? In my view hell no.
Once again - isn't that the point of education? If you're saying that someone can't change their political stance on an issue such as racial equality in the space of 12 months, how are you getting upset that taking the knee hasn't made any difference in a similar length of time? According to you, it was never going to be possible.

I'm yet to see anything remotely educational that Kaprenick's stunt brought about. It has proven as divisive as they come and a side distraction to real solutions to the issue.
Then you haven't paid attention to anything his protest his done, and are speaking from a place of ignorance. It's easy to look up and research.

You most certainly are not. The proof is in you trying to equate my disdain for Kapernick with disdain for all others who are using their platforms for the fight
You're the one who brought up Kaepernick all on your own, and you're the one who seemingly has your own rules as to who's protest is valid & who's is not.

I'm sorry it isn't a matter of opinion. It was hard for the likes of Tommie Smith. Now with modern technology, better treatment before the law a compared to the past and the reach of things like social media, let alone the internet. if say a Sterling wants to be heard he will be and there is not a thing anyone will be able to do about it. At worst they can just rant and rave. Back in the day they'd first shut you down, then end your career and even at worst disappear you. I'm sick and tired of people pretending that its 'o so hard' for the black celebs of today with the platforms they have access to to be heard.
Was it hard for Sterling to tell the world how he felt about it? It seems you are conflating being mistreated with it being heard to vocalize to the world the fact you are being treated that way.
Just because it isn't as hard as it is now for black athletes doesn't mean it's easy still. The point of the civil rights movements was to progress things further - so progress has been made, but things still aren't in a good enough place are they? So it's logical for people to still express themselves when they see fit.
& Sterling made it clear that it was hard for him and that's why he didn't say anything for years until it all got too much, again if you did the research on this, you'd see that.

Be serious please. The black gloved salute was not showing any disrespect towards the American flag. Not to forget to mention that a raised closed fist is a symbol for fighting oppression that is understood globally. It in fact was simply reminding people that blacks too were part and parcel of the country and deserved acknowledgment and respect UNDER that flag. Its ONLY detractors were actual racists and the racist establishments of the times. Now try telling us how its only racists who have an issue with what Kapernick did and how to highlight the same issue
Neither was the kneel - Kaepernick talked with veterans and asked their opinions on whether kneeling was disrespectful to the american flag - those veterans told him it wasn't and he chose that as a means for protest - it was only the media who decided to say it was.
Also the fist was reported by media as a disrespect to the American anthem at the time, again, it's only now with hindsight that its seen and reported differently.

I don't just think it. I know it can be done. What Rashford did with the food issue is exhibit A. What he fought for will cause a permanent cultural shift long term.
And yet you can't see what the point is of implementing long term antiracism protests before every football match? What's the alternative? Do nothing and hope that racism in football magically disappeared? That worked well in the past didn't it.

No. You made up your mind about me all own your own. Nothing I said helped you. You have preconceived ideas about the positions anyone who takes issue with things like taking the knee has and it has repeatedly come out in your arguments
Nothing you said helped me because the things you're saying are not only incorrect but misinformed - i'm happy to have a debate with anyone who has a reason for not wanting to see people take the knee.
But you've already made it clear that in your mind someone can't change their political views within 12 months (Kaepernick) while also decrying that taking the knee hasn't led to any change in the last 12 months either. You've also got conflated ideas about what political protests looked like in the past and how they were reported then vs how they are written about now with the benefit of hindsight. MLK's Letter from a Birmingham Jail seems pretty apt to this exact situation - yet, let you tell it his march was received positively and everybody thought what he was doing was worthwhile. It wasn't.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
@Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber It's saturday night and I don't plan on spending my evening on here particularly after today's result. :lol:
You can respond if you wish to get your thoughts across, but I don't see much for either of our positions to go after this back and forth - you have your position, I have mine - I don't see how your position means that we should stop taking the knee, other than the fact that you personally don't like it. We can increase education on racism, but it doesn't mean we have to stop taking the knee either - they're not mutually exclusive.

Either way, have a good evening sir.